|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main tenet of the Fifth Church of Christ?
(a) The four predecessor churches were corrupt.
(b) Jesus has been reincarnated five times.
(c) Jesus was a visitor from space.
(d) Technology is a gift from God.
2. What location is home to more than a million people who had their hearing permanently damaged in 2077?
3. What is Sita?
(a) A long range missile designed to destroy Rama.
(b) A space-probe that is originally intended to launch from Mars to go beyond Neptune.
(c) A pod of special cameras intended to photograph Rama from all sides.
(d) A big orbiting telescope.
4. What is Straight Valley?
(a) A valley located next to the Rockies.
(b) A long groove or trench near Paris.
(c) A line dug into the sand near the Cylindrical Sea.
(d) A valley adjacent to the South Pole.
5. How long is the normal "day" for a normal asteroid versus one for Rama?
(a) About the same as for Mars and Venus.
(b) Several hours versus four minutes.
(c) Nearly twelve hours versus about an hour.
(d) About the same as for the Earth and the Moon.
6. Why is a cloud of vapor sent toward Rama?
(a) To see if it will be sucked into the interior of Rama.
(b) As a method to measure the temperature on the surface of Rama.
(c) To see if Rama has enough gravity to hold an atmosphere.
(d) To see if it will interact with Rama and produce "fireworks."
7. How expensive is time on a big orbiting telescope?
(a) Ten thousand dollars an hour.
(b) Ten thousand dollars per quarter hour.
(c) A thousand dollars an hour.
(d) A thousand dollars a minute.
8. How does the Commander describe his impressions of Rama after reaching the plain?
(a) There is always some background noise.
(b) The plain is curved as far as the eye can see.
(c) Voices echo loudly, so it is necessary to speak in a whisper.
(d) It is like being on a huge, darkened stage with a single spotlight.
9. For the Commander, Straight Valley reminds him of what part of his past?
(a) An education in industrial archaeology, abandoned in college.
(b) His first marriage.
(c) His childhood in the foothills.
(d) A summer vacation in England.
10. What is the initial reaction of the human race to Rama?
11. What surprises Commander Norton as he approached Rama for the rendezvous?
(a) Rama's overwhelming size.
(b) The realization that Rama's mass is smaller than predicted.
(c) That Jupiter VIII is slightly larger than Rama.
(d) That landing on the Moon or Mars is easier than landing on Rama.
12. In Chapter 13, what does Joe Calvert do to entertain himself and the rest of the explorers?
(d) Tell jokes.
13. Why is Dr. Bose "exiled" from the Earth?
(a) Earth is uninhabitable.
(b) He cannot face reconditioning.
(c) He has a contagious virus.
(d) He is too sentimental to leave his adopted home.
14. How does one astronomer refer to asteroids?
(a) Arrows of outrageously bad fortune.
(b) Fireworks of the heavens.
(c) Vermin of the skies.
(d) Pests of gigantic proportion.
15. What is the expected effect of an matter-antimatter reaction?
(a) The total annihilation of the solar system.
(b) The permanent creation of a second sun.
(c) A reaction as gentle as a snowflake.
(d) The biggest bang since the solar system was formed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Twice a day the explorers must perform an action. What is it?
2. According to Chapter 1, what happens after the initial shock wore off in 2077?
3. What type of force does the Commander account for upon landing the Endeavour?
4. The reference to the five giants is referring to what group of five?
5. In Chapter 5, what streams from the newly-opened pillbox "like dazzling diamonds as the brilliant sunlight caught them"?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)