|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Dr. Bose born?
(a) In outer space.
(c) The Earth.
(d) The Moon.
2. For the Commander, Straight Valley reminds him of what part of his past?
(a) His childhood in the foothills.
(b) An education in industrial archaeology, abandoned in college.
(c) His first marriage.
(d) A summer vacation in England.
3. What ships can catch up with Rama before it leaves the solar system?
(a) Only the Challenger.
(b) Only the Endeavour.
(c) The Calypso, Beagle, and Challenger.
(d) The Calypso, Beagle, and Endeavour.
4. When the Commander enters Rama, what does he see in the light of the flare?
(a) A circular sea.
(b) The landscape of an entire world.
(c) A miniature sun, moon and stars painted on the ceiling.
(d) A small space station-like structure.
5. What is the expected effect of an matter-antimatter reaction?
(a) The permanent creation of a second sun.
(b) The biggest bang since the solar system was formed.
(c) A reaction as gentle as a snowflake.
(d) The total annihilation of the solar system.
6. In Chapter 12, Norton notices something remarkable as he is exploring. What is it?
(a) Ramans must have been physical-fitness fanatics.
(b) He could take Rama for granted despite its size.
(c) Normal walking is possible in the lowered gravity.
(d) There are no signs of wear and tear.
7. According to Chapter 9, Rama's orbit is heading directly to where?
(a) The Milky Way.
(b) The galaxy of Andromeda.
(c) The outer planets of the solar system.
(d) The solar system, and much to close to the sun.
8. After how many years does PROJECT SPACEGUARD justify its existence?
(c) One hundred and twenty.
(d) One hundred.
9. What are the Calypso, Beagle, and Challenger waiting for?
(a) Extra propellant.
(b) A possible distress signal from the Endeavour.
(d) Orders to rendezvous with the Endeavour.
10. Why is Baked Alaska mentioned in Chapter 14?
(a) Because Rama is hot on the outside and cold on the inside, like a Baked Alaska dessert,
(b) Because Baked Alaska is the most complicated dessert the Simps can make.
(c) Because it is a favorite at U.P. banquets.
(d) Because it is a reminder of Earth.
11. Who is Captain James Cook?
(a) The captain of the first spaceship to reach Mars.
(b) A captain of industry in the 1700s who funded the exploration of Hawaii.
(c) The first captain of the first Endeavour.
(d) The captain of the Starship Enterprise.
12. Where on Rama does the Endeavour land?
(a) At the North Pole.
(b) In the shadows of the structures near the axis.
(c) Near the sundial in the sunlit portion.
(d) At the very center.
13. Who does the Commander depend on to land the Endeavour?
(a) Bill Norton.
(b) Joe Calvert.
(c) James Pak.
(d) Boris Rodrigo.
14. Who goes with the Commander on the first EVA?
(a) Boris Rodrigo.
(b) James Pak.
(c) Joe Calvert.
(d) Karl Mercer.
15. During the initial exploration of Rama, what is the temperature like?
(a) The temperature is just below freezing.
(b) The temperature fluctuates wildly.
(c) The temperature is the same as on the Moon.
(d) The temperature is close to Earth's median temperature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which "city" on Rama is assumed to be more like an enormous factory or chemical processing plant?
2. In Chapter 3, who is the current chairman of the Space Advisory Council?
3. What is unusual about object 31/439?
4. What does the first images of Rama prove?
5. What is the main tenet of the Fifth Church of Christ?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)