|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is used for a far nobler purpose at the end of Chapter 1?
(a) The weaponry skills acquired in the late twentieth century.
(b) The natural resources found in Europe.
(c) The software designed to simulate "celestial target practice."
(d) The wealth of the countries that make up the European Union.
2. What loss is so great that it was beyond all computation?
(a) The loss to art, to history, to science--and to the whole human race, for the rest of time.
(b) The loss of resources and skills acquired during the twentieth century.
(c) The loss of beautiful dawns and sunsets all over the world.
(d) The loss of six hundred thousand people.
3. In Chapter 3, who is the current chairman of the Space Advisory Council?
(a) Dr. Stenton.
(b) Dr. Price.
(c) Professor Davidson.
(d) Commander Norton.
4. How does the book describe the world's population at the end of the 21st century?
(a) Europe is more densely populated than fifty years earlier.
(b) The human race is facing extinction from natural disasters.
(c) The human race has spread from pole to pole.
(d) Cities in the northern hemisphere are sparsely populated.
5. What words does the author use to portray the vast majority of asteroids?
(a) "... were merely oversize boulders that would fit into a small park."
(b) "... were just under forty kilometers in diameter."
(c) "...were simply massive rocks the size of a small car."
(d) "...were almost always under 500 kilos and small enough to fit in a backyard swimming pool."
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the inhabitants of Europe see a dazzling fireball appear in the eastern sky?
2. What is the initial reaction of the human race to Rama?
3. The reference to the five giants is referring to what group of five?
4. Rama is compared to what ordinary object?
5. What is the name of the author whose book inspired Dr. Stenton to become an astronomer?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)