|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people held most of the stock in Consolidated Stove?
2. What has the market done about charlatans since Livingston has been trading?
3. What does Livingston say is illegal now?
4. When is a good time to sell a stock?
5. What does he think his debts are doing to his trading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the three main stock holders of Consolidated Stove angry at Livingston?
2. Why does Imperial Steel hire Livingston and why do they need him?
3. What does Livingston say about the press and insider trading?
4. How does Livingston think James R. Keene would do in the market of Livingston's era.
5. What does Livingston say about selling stocks on a payment plan and stock splits?
6. What does Livingston begin to do for a living?
7. What does Livingston do about all his debt?
8. What happens when Livingston starts buying up what Imperial Steel stock is on the market.
9. What happens to Livingston after he follows Percy's advice?
10. How does Livingston feel about hunches?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Livingston is broke and the market is not good for making money. He declares bankruptcy to get rid of two creditors. He goes back to Williamson to ask for help.
1. Do you think it was honest or fair to Livingston's creditors to declare bankruptcy? Why or why not?
2. What kind of person do you think Livingston is that he has gone to Williamson for help? Describe your reaction in detail.
3. Do you think if a lot of people played the market and went broke they should all be allowed to declare bankruptcy? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Livingston is flat broke and becomes ill. He goes to Chicago to recover. He wonders how he made so many mistakes. He goes back to New York.
1. What do you think the typical person would do if she/he were in Livingston's position?
2. Why do you think Livingston has continued to make mistakes in his trading? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Given that Livingston is flat broke yet again, still he returns to New York. Why do you think Livingston keeps trying?
Essay Topic 3
Livingston says the important thing is to have a general strategy, stick to it, and use good information.
1. Why do you think it is important to have a general strategy in trading stocks? Give an example from the book.
2. Do you think it is difficult to stick to a plan when the plan is failing? Why or why not?
3. How difficult is it to get good information today? Do you believe what you read on the Internet? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)