|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Livingston want to do when he sees the market rallying?
2. What do the banks ask Livingston to not do during the panic of 1907?
3. What does Livingston do after receiving advice from his manager?
4. What must a successful stock trader do?
5. What does Livingston decide from the Union Pacific situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Livingston believe is his best guide to trading and what does he say a good trader must be?
2. Why does Livingston wish he had not listened to his branch manager?
3. What does the trader Roberts suggest to Livingston?
4. What's the difference between trading on Wall Street and bucket shops and how does it affect Livingston?
5. Why does Livingston return to Boston and what happens when he does?
6. What kind of trader does Livingston hear had a bad loss and what does he do about it?
7. What does Livingston discuss concerning stocks in Chapter V?
8. How much regulation is there in the stocks in Livingston's era and how did that affect the stocks?
9. What difference of opinion do Livingston and Percy have and who convinces who?
10. Why does Livingston say patterns can be used and who uses them well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As soon as he has most of the cotton, the price begins to rapidly rise and he makes a great deal of paper profit. The problem now is to convert that profit to cash, because when one has most of the market, as soon as one starts selling it the price begins to drop.
1. What do you think is meant by the term "paper profit" in the above sentence? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Why do you think the price of a stock starts to drop when the stock is being sold? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Would it be possible that someone could be very wealthy on paper but not have enough money to buy a television with cash? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The book, REMINISCENCES OF A STOCK OPERATOR, is considered a classic in business education and is required reading in most business colleges.
1. Why do you think the above statement is true?
2. After reading REMINISCENCES OF A STOCK OPERATOR do you think you understand more of the stock market and the economy than before you read it? Why or why not?
3. Do you think it is too outdated to be of any use to students today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
This book is a work of fiction yet also a thinly disguised biography. Can a book be both fiction and non-fiction?
1. Would you classify this book as a novel or a biography? Why?
2. Research biography and fiction. Write a short essay explaining the difference.
3. Do you think a novel can have so much of the truth in it that it could be classified as non-fiction? Why or why not?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)