|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elstir do to help the narrator meet Albertine?
2. In Balbec, why does the manager of the hotel frighten the narrator?
3. Why can't the narrator say good-bye to Saint-Loup when he visits him in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
4. Where does Gisele go to school?
5. In Balbec, what do some of the ladies at the hotel doubt about the Marquis and the Princess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator learn about Bergotte when he visits the grandmother during her illness?
2. What happens when Mme. Swann arrives at Mme. de Villeparisis's party?
3. Which of Elstir's paintings catches the attention of the narrator in "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls"?
4. What does the narrator do the first time he meets Gisele?
5. How does the narrator feel about the people in Balbec?
6. In "Place-Names: The Place, Part II," how does the narrator interact with the local Balbec girls?
7. How does Saint-Loup get along with servants?
8. Why does the narrator want Saint-Loup to talk to Mme. Guermantes in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
9. How does the narrator feel before leaving for his trip to Balbec?
10. What happens the first time the narrator meets Albertine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three marriages in this novel and compare and contrast them. What is the commentary on marriage that this novel provides?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator longs for a relationship with a woman. Choose three attempts at relationships, or desires for relationships, and analyze their successes and failures. What was the benefit to the narrator? What harmed him in the end? What does the theme of failed romance mean for this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Many members of the narrator's family are very cold to each other. Describe specific events that support this idea and explain the impact it has on the family. How does the grandmother's death play into this? How would you characterize the relationships within the narrator's family?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)