|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Swann In Love," who is Swann's competition for Odette's affection?
2. Who takes the narrator to Champs-Elysees every day in "Place-Names"?
3. What happens when Swann takes Odette on vacation in "Swann In Love"?
4. Who thinks that the narrator should be allowed time to play outside as a boy?
5. Where is Combray?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens the first two times Swann visits Odette's house?
2. How does the narrator's grandmother start a fight with her family in "Overture"?
3. In "Mme. Swann at Home," how does the narrator feel about his relationship with Gilberte?
4. In "Place-Names," what does the narrator say has changed about his faith since his childhood?
5. What does Gilberte do in "Place-Names" that makes the narrator think she is indifferent towards him?
6. How is M. Swann associated with the narrator's family?
7. What makes Bergotte see the narrator as an intellectual?
8. Why is the narrator not allowed to return to Champs-Elysees?
9. What happens when Swann spends time away from Odette in "Swann In Love"?
10. What happens on New Year's Even in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is so significant about the implied death of M. Swann? Why has the author chosen to end the novel this way? What does this mean for the narrator and the plot in general?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what happens to end the relationship between the narrator's family and Uncle Adolphe. Why did this happen? What does this tell the reader about the narrator's family and society? How does Uncle Adolphe's affair differ from the other affairs in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Select three marriages in this novel and compare and contrast them. What is the commentary on marriage that this novel provides?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)