|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits the narrator's family most often when he is a young boy?
2. What religion does Blotch practice?
3. What does Swann consider after hearing a song played on the piano at the Verdurin's?
4. What does the narrator give the mistress of a whorehouse as a present in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
5. In "Place-Names," why does the narrator sometimes go to Allee des Acacias?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ends Swann's relationship with Uncle Adolphe?
2. How does the narrator feel about Bergotte?
3. How is M. Swann associated with the narrator's family?
4. What happens the night Odette tells Swann she isn't feeling well and sends him home early?
5. What happens on New Year's Even in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
6. What does Gilberte do in "Place-Names" that makes the narrator think she might like him?
7. As a young boy how did the narrator spend his time before and after dinner?
8. In "Overture," how does the narrator describe his sleep?
9. Why does the narrator visit his Uncle Adolphe frequently in "Combray"?
10. What does the narrator learn about the Swanns when he talks about them with his mother in "Place-Names"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many members of the narrator's family are very cold to each other. Describe specific events that support this idea and explain the impact it has on the family. How does the grandmother's death play into this? How would you characterize the relationships within the narrator's family?
Essay Topic 2
How is Paris a character in this novel? How do the characters respond to the city of Paris? What does Paris represent and embody? How does going to Paris and leaving Paris help to develop the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How are doctors viewed by the characters in this novel? What leads to the success of a doctor? How do the doctors in this novel affect their patients and patient's families? What images are often evoked when doctors are part of the scene? What message is the author delivering about the field of medicine in this novel?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)