|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does M. de Charlus treat the narrator during dinner with his grandmother in "Place-Names: The Place, Part II"?
(a) He teases the narrator.
(b) He insults the narrator.
(c) He bribes the narrator.
(d) He ignores the narrator.
2. What does Elstir do to help the narrator meet Albertine?
(a) She writes Albertine a nice letter.
(b) She takes the narrator to Albertine's father's store.
(c) She throws a tea party.
(d) She tricks Albertine into going to a restaurant.
3. Why does Bloch feel he should visit Saint-Loup in "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls"?
(a) Bloch wants to fight Saint-Loup.
(b) Bloch wants to look good for the narrator.
(c) Bloch owes Saint-Loup money.
(d) Saint-Loup invited him.
4. How much time passes between "Place-names" and "Place-Names: The Place, Part I"?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
5. What does the narrator's grandmother say she believes one should never do on vacation?
(d) Waste time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the narrator uneasy with his hotel room in Balbec?
2. Where does Mme. de Villeparisis take the narrator in "Place-Names: The Place, Part II"?
3. Who does the narrator's grandmother feel Mme. de Villeparisis is connected to socially?
4. What does Albertine do the first time the narrator tries to kiss her?
5. What does the narrator's grandmother do when the narrator suffers a fever attack in "Place-Names: The Place, Part II"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in "Guermantes Way, Part I" when the narrator's grandmother becomes ill?
2. In "Place-Names: The Place, Part II," what happens when Saint-Loup and the narrator dine with the Bloch family?
3. What happens when Bloch accompanies the narrator to see Saint-Loup to his train in "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls"?
4. How does Saint-Loup get along with servants?
5. What upsets the narrator about his stay in the hotel in Balbec?
6. How does M. de Charlus feel about the narrator's grandmother in "Place-Names: The Place, Part II"?
7. When visiting Elstir's studio in Balbec, why does the narrator want to go to the beach?
8. What happens the first time the narrator sees the group of six girls in "Seascap, with Frieze of Girls"?
9. Why does the narrator want Saint-Loup to talk to Mme. Guermantes in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
10. How does the narrator feel about the people in Balbec?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)