|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alix think of Mme. de Villeparisis's picture of the Duchesse?
(a) She thinks it's tacky.
(b) She thinks it's too small.
(c) She thinks it's too large.
(d) She thinks it's a fake.
2. Who does the narrator's mother request not visit the grandmother so often while she is ill?
(a) A cousin.
(b) Her step-sister.
(c) An uncle.
(d) An aunt.
3. In "Place-Names: The Place, Part I," what does the doctor recommend for the narrator's nerves?
(c) Beer or Brandy.
(d) Water or juice.
4. What is Saint-Loup intolerant of?
(c) New literature.
(d) Varying opinions.
5. Who used to visit a house M. de Charlus discusses at dinner in Balbec with the narrator and his grandmother?
(a) A Russian dignitary.
(b) Marie Antoinette.
(c) The Marquis de Laroo.
(d) Queen Elizabeth.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Place-Names: The Place, Part II," how does the narrator feel when he runs into Bloch with Saint-Loup?
2. Where does Mme. de Villeparisis take the narrator in "Place-Names: The Place, Part II"?
3. Why do the narrator and his family move into Hotel de Guermantes?
4. Why does the narrator initially want to avoid Elstir?
5. Who does the narrator pretend to be interested in when he really likes Albertine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator feel about the people in Balbec?
2. How does M. de Charlus feel about the narrator's grandmother in "Place-Names: The Place, Part II"?
3. What does the narrator do the first time he meets Gisele?
4. In "Place-Names: The Place, Part II," what happens when Saint-Loup and the narrator dine with the Bloch family?
5. Why does the narrator want Saint-Loup to talk to Mme. Guermantes in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
6. What treatments are recommended for the grandmother in "Guermantes Way, Part I continued"?
7. What happens the first time the narrator meets Albertine?
8. What happens the first time the narrator sees the group of six girls in "Seascap, with Frieze of Girls"?
9. What argument does the narrator get into with Bloch in Balbec?
10. When visiting Elstir's studio in Balbec, why does the narrator want to go to the beach?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)