|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the narrator most fear leaving when he travels to Balbec?
(b) His mother.
(d) His father.
2. What does the narrator's grandmother do when the narrator suffers a fever attack in "Place-Names: The Place, Part II"?
(a) She gives him a cold bath.
(b) She gives him warm soup.
(c) She ignores the doctor's advice.
(d) She follows the doctor's advice.
3. Who does Bergotte say the narrator's favorite writer resembles in "Guermantes Way, Part I continued"?
(a) M. Guermantes.
(c) Mme. Swann.
(d) The narrator.
4. Who does M. Bloch pretend to know in "Place-Names: The Place, Part II"?
(b) Lord Stanley.
(c) Mme. Swann.
5. In "Guermantes Way, Part I," at the Villeparisis' party, what impresses the narrator most about Mme. de Villeparisis?
(a) Her knowledge.
(b) Her wealth.
(c) Her clothing.
(d) Her singing voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who used to visit a house M. de Charlus discusses at dinner in Balbec with the narrator and his grandmother?
2. Why does the narrator's grandmother insist they rest during their trip to Balbec?
3. What does Rachel discuss that makes the narrator find her "malicious" in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
4. What does Saint-Loup do when his military leave ends?
5. What do the people in Balbec appear to be mostly concerned about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the narrator runs into Professor E in "Guermantes Way, Part I continued"?
2. How does the narrator feel before leaving for his trip to Balbec?
3. What argument does the narrator get into with Bloch in Balbec?
4. What treatments are recommended for the grandmother in "Guermantes Way, Part I continued"?
5. What happens the first time the narrator meets Albertine?
6. What upsets the narrator about his stay in the hotel in Balbec?
7. Why does the narrator want Saint-Loup to talk to Mme. Guermantes in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
8. What does the narrator do the first time he meets Gisele?
9. While in Balbec, how does Francoise react to Mme. de Villeparisis?
10. While in Balbec, what upsets the narrator about running into the Marquise de Villeparisis?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)