|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Swann leave behind the first time he visits Odette's house?
(a) A cigarette case.
(b) A pair of cuff links.
(c) His jacket.
(d) His keys.
2. Swann tends to court what type of lady?
(a) Ones from higher social statuses.
(b) Ones who participate in the arts.
(c) He doesn't have a specific type.
(d) Ones from lower social statuses.
3. In "Place-Names," what happens the day the narrator fears Gilberte Swann will not come to play?
(a) It rains.
(b) There is a train accident.
(c) There is a fight in the park.
(d) It snows.
4. Who visits the narrator's family most often when he is a young boy?
(c) Aunt Leonie.
(d) M. Swann.
5. What happened at Combray to make the narrator appreciate art?
(a) Francoise got into a fight with another maid.
(b) A cat took care of another cat.
(c) A kitchen-maid got pregnant.
(d) His mother started collecting art.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator's family react to Uncle Adolphe's friends?
2. In "Overture," what makes the narrator think he will be sent back to school?
3. What does the narrator dream about when he walks on Guermantes Way?
4. What does Mme. Swann do in "Place-Names" that causes people to talk?
5. Who introduces the narrator to whorehouses?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a young boy how did the narrator spend his time before and after dinner?
2. What happens when Swann spends time away from Odette in "Swann In Love"?
3. What ends Swann's relationship with Uncle Adolphe?
4. What happens the night Odette tells Swann she isn't feeling well and sends him home early?
5. In "Combray," why does the narrator read a lot?
6. In "Mme. Swann at Home," what happens to the narrator's writing?
7. In "Overture," how does the narrator describe his sleep?
8. In "Overture," when M. Swann comes for dinner, what ploy for his mother's attention does the narrator devise?
9. How does the narrator feel about Bergotte?
10. What happens the first two times Swann visits Odette's house?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)