|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must the narrator cancel his travel plans in "Place-Names"?
(a) Lack of money.
(c) He starts school.
2. What does the narrator dream about when he walks on Guermantes Way?
(a) Becoming a famous writer.
(b) Being accepted by the Guermantes.
(c) Making a good living.
(d) Meeting a pretty girl.
3. In "Place-Names," where does the narrator find Gilbert they day she is not at the park?
(a) At a friend's house.
(b) At his house.
(c) At her house.
(d) At a department store.
4. What conclusion does the narrator's family draw about M. Legrandin in "Combray"?
(a) That he is a snob.
(b) That he is loveless.
(c) That he is lonely.
(d) That he is actually poor.
5. In "Combray," what writer does M. Swann know?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Mme. Swann at Home," what opinion does M. de Norpois have about Mme. Swann?
2. What does the narrator's "magic lantern" do?
3. What happens right before the Verdurins stop inviting Swann to their parties?
4. Who does Aunt Leonie leave her estate to?
5. What does the narrator admire most about the church in Combray?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Mme. Swann at Home," what happens to the narrator's writing?
2. What ends Swann's relationship with Uncle Adolphe?
3. What happens the night Odette tells Swann she isn't feeling well and sends him home early?
4. In "Mme. Swann at Home," how does the narrator feel about his relationship with Gilberte?
5. In "Place-Names," what does the narrator say has changed about his faith since his childhood?
6. What does M. Vinteuil do with his compositions in "Combray" that the narrator finds funny?
7. How does the narrator feel about Bergotte?
8. Why does the narrator visit his Uncle Adolphe frequently in "Combray"?
9. What happens when the narrator's family decides to walk through Swann's Gardens after having not walked that way since M. Swann's marriage?
10. What ends Swann's relationship with the Verdurins?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)