|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator buy a picture of for himself at the beginning of the new year in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(d) His mother.
2. In "Place-Names," why does the narrator sometimes go to Allee des Acacias?
(a) He gets lost often.
(b) Mme. Swann walks there.
(c) Gilberte's cousin plays there.
(d) He can't stand his old park anymore.
3. Who thinks that the narrator should be allowed time to play outside as a boy?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His father.
4. In "Mme. Swann at Home," what opinion does M. de Norpois have about Mme. Swann?
(a) He says she is charming.
(b) He says she is clever.
(c) He says she is funny.
(d) He says she is useless.
5. In "Place-Names," where does the narrator find Gilbert they day she is not at the park?
(a) At a friend's house.
(b) At his house.
(c) At a department store.
(d) At her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Overture," what makes the narrator think he will be sent back to school?
2. According to Bergotte, what does illness do?
3. In "Place-Names," why does Gilberte tell the narrator she won't be around for long?
4. In "Swann In Love," what does Swann say he is studying whenever he is with Odette?
5. Swann tends to court what type of lady?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Combray," why does the narrator read a lot?
2. What happens the first two times Swann visits Odette's house?
3. Why does the narrator visit his Uncle Adolphe frequently in "Combray"?
4. What happens when the narrator's family decides to walk through Swann's Gardens after having not walked that way since M. Swann's marriage?
5. What does M. Vinteuil do with his compositions in "Combray" that the narrator finds funny?
6. What does Gilberte do in "Place-Names" that makes the narrator think she is indifferent towards him?
7. What happens on New Year's Even in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
8. What makes Bergotte see the narrator as an intellectual?
9. In "Mme. Swann at Home," how does the narrator feel about his relationship with Gilberte?
10. In "Mme. Swann at Home," what happens to the narrator's writing?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)