|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the narrator afford the gifts he buys for the Swanns in "Mme Swann at Home"?
(a) He sells his aunt's things.
(b) He sells his father's collectables.
(c) He finds a part-time job.
(d) He sells his old toys.
2. Who helps to improve Mme. Swann's opinion of the narrator in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(b) The narrator's mother.
(c) Uncle Adolphe.
(d) Dr. Cottard.
3. Who does the narrator's mother say she does not want to know in the Swann family?
(a) Mme. Swann.
(b) Gilberte Swann.
(c) M. Swann.
(d) Old man Swann.
4. When did the narrator visit Combray?
(a) He hasn't visited there yet.
(b) As a young boy.
(c) As an adult.
(d) During his early teens.
5. In "Place-Names," why does Gilberte tell the narrator she won't be around for long?
(a) The holidays require travel.
(b) She found a new set of friends.
(c) She is starting a new school.
(d) Her family is moving.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the Verdurins finally disapprove of Swann in "Swann In Love"?
2. When they are in Paris, why does Odette want money from Swann?
3. In "Overture," what does the narrator's father give him after dinner?
4. Swann tends to court what type of lady?
5. What does the narrator say happened to his belief in the elegance of women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the narrator visit his Uncle Adolphe frequently in "Combray"?
2. What makes Bergotte see the narrator as an intellectual?
3. In "Combray," why does the narrator read a lot?
4. In "Overture," how does the narrator describe his sleep?
5. How does the narrator feel about Bergotte?
6. How does the narrator's grandmother start a fight with her family in "Overture"?
7. What does the anonymous letter Swann receives at the end of "Swann In Love" say?
8. In "Combray," why does the narrator want to meet M. Swann's daughter?
9. What ends Swann's relationship with Uncle Adolphe?
10. In "Mme. Swann at Home," how does the narrator feel about his relationship with Gilberte?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)