|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Guermantes Way, Part I," at the Villeparisis' party, what impresses the narrator most about Mme. de Villeparisis?
(a) Her clothing.
(b) Her singing voice.
(c) Her knowledge.
(d) Her wealth.
2. What happens when people dine with Mme. de Villeparis in "Place-Names: The Place, Part I"?
(a) Their social status raises.
(b) They are escorted home.
(c) Their social status decreases.
(d) They are given lots of money.
3. What does Saint-Loup do when his military leave ends?
(a) Sign up for the navy.
(b) Go on a vacation.
(c) Give the narrator a gift.
(d) Work more.
4. What does Albertine's note to the narrator say in "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls"?
(a) It's over.
(b) I love you.
(c) I know what you are doing.
(d) Tell me the truth.
5. How does M. de Charlus treat the narrator during dinner with his grandmother in "Place-Names: The Place, Part II"?
(a) He ignores the narrator.
(b) He insults the narrator.
(c) He bribes the narrator.
(d) He teases the narrator.
6. Who does the narrator's mother request not visit the grandmother so often while she is ill?
(a) An aunt.
(b) Her step-sister.
(c) An uncle.
(d) A cousin.
7. Why can't Saint-Loup introduce the narrator to Mme. Guermantes in Paris in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
(a) He says she is too busy.
(b) He says she is no longer nice.
(c) She is out of town.
(d) She shuts the door on them.
8. In Balbec, what do some of the ladies at the hotel doubt about the Marquis and the Princess?
(a) Their kindness.
(b) Their authenticity.
(c) Their marriagability.
(d) Their ages.
9. Who visits the narrator's grandmother alone in her room in "Guermantes Way, Part I continued"?
(a) Mme. Swann.
(b) M. de Guermantes.
(c) M. Swann.
10. What is the reputation of Marquise Robert de Saint-Loup?
(a) He is sloppy.
(b) He is violent.
(c) He is a womanizer.
(d) He is a fool.
11. What does Albertine give the narrator as a gift when she returns from visiting her aunt?
(a) Cuff links.
(b) A book.
(c) A card.
(d) A pencil case.
12. In "Place-Names, The Place: Part I," why can't the narrator talk to M. de Stermaria's daughter?
(a) They never get a chance to meet.
(b) She is engaged to someone else.
(c) She is too young for the narrator.
(d) They are from different social ranks.
13. What does Elstir tell the narrator about the group of girls he sees in "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls"?
(a) They are the nieces of priests.
(b) They are a band.
(c) They are from the university.
(d) They are the daughters of merchants.
14. What does Elstir do in the arts?
15. What does the narrator say he admires most about Mme. de Sevigne?
(a) Her intellect.
(b) Her looks.
(c) Her card playing skills.
(d) Her patience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the narrator give Albertine the first time he meets her?
2. What is the narrator's favorite thing about Balbec?
3. In "Place-Names: The Place: Part II," what does M. de Charlus accuse the narrator of?
4. While in Balbec, how does the narrator say he feels when he meets Princesse de Luxembourg?
5. What makes the narrator uneasy with his hotel room in Balbec?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)