|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Place-Names: The Place, Part I," what does the doctor recommend for the narrator's nerves?
(c) Water or juice.
(d) Beer or Brandy.
2. In "Place-Names: The Place, Part II," how does the narrator feel when he runs into Bloch with Saint-Loup?
3. What does Elstir tell the narrator about the group of girls he sees in "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls"?
(a) They are the nieces of priests.
(b) They are the daughters of merchants.
(c) They are a band.
(d) They are from the university.
4. Why can't the narrator say good-bye to Saint-Loup when he visits him in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
(a) Saint-Loup is off with a woman.
(b) Saint-Loup is called to active duty.
(c) The narrator is angry with Saint-Loup.
(d) The narrator oversleeps.
5. In "Guermantes Way, Part I continued," who does not visit the grandmother?
(a) Her sisters.
(b) Her nieces.
(c) Her brothers.
(d) Her friends.
6. In "Guermantes Way, Part I," at the Villeparisis' party, what impresses the narrator most about Mme. de Villeparisis?
(a) Her knowledge.
(b) Her wealth.
(c) Her singing voice.
(d) Her clothing.
7. What is the reputation of Marquise Robert de Saint-Loup?
(a) He is a womanizer.
(b) He is sloppy.
(c) He is violent.
(d) He is a fool.
8. In "Place-Names: The Place, Part II," why does Bloch accuse the narrator of being a snob?
(a) Because he criticized art in a museum.
(b) Because he ordered dinner in French.
(c) Because he is spending time with a marquis.
(d) Because he found money.
9. In "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls," what game does the narrator fail at while playing with Albertine?
10. In "Guermantes Way, Part I continued," what does the grandmother take for pain?
11. What does Saint-Loup do when his military leave ends?
(a) Give the narrator a gift.
(b) Work more.
(c) Go on a vacation.
(d) Sign up for the navy.
12. In "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls," where does the narrator often run into Bloch's sister?
(a) The racetrack.
(b) The center of town.
(c) At his hotel.
(d) A restaurant.
13. In Balbec, what do some of the ladies at the hotel doubt about the Marquis and the Princess?
(a) Their ages.
(b) Their marriagability.
(c) Their authenticity.
(d) Their kindness.
14. Who does Bergotte say the narrator's favorite writer resembles in "Guermantes Way, Part I continued"?
(b) M. Guermantes.
(c) The narrator.
(d) Mme. Swann.
15. Why does Bloch feel he should visit Saint-Loup in "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls"?
(a) Bloch wants to look good for the narrator.
(b) Bloch wants to fight Saint-Loup.
(c) Bloch owes Saint-Loup money.
(d) Saint-Loup invited him.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls," why does Albertine take the narrator away from Gisele?
2. In "Place-Names: The Place: Part II," what does M. de Charlus accuse the narrator of?
3. Why can't Saint-Loup introduce the narrator to Mme. Guermantes in Paris in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
4. What does Professor E say about making a home visit to the narrator's grandmother in "Guermantes Way, Part I continued"?
5. What makes Francoise change her opinion of Saint-Loup?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)