|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Saint-Loup intolerant of?
(a) New literature.
(c) Varying opinions.
2. What does Saint-Loup tell the narrator when he requests a picture of Mme. Guermantes?
(a) He must ask her permission.
(b) He must keep it clean.
(c) He must find a good frame.
(d) She doesn't allow pictures of herself.
3. What makes Francoise change her opinion of Saint-Loup?
(a) She discovers he is a Republican.
(b) She sees him hit a servant.
(c) She reads his letter to the editor.
(d) She finds out he has a mistress.
4. Who lays the grandmother out in her coffin?
(a) The narrator.
(c) The narrator's mother.
5. How does the narrator feel about his friendship with Saint-Loup?
(a) He decides to put more effort into it.
(b) He doesn't cherish it.
(c) He values it more than others.
(d) He barely knows Saint-Loup.
6. What does the narrator's grandmother say she believes one should never do on vacation?
(c) Waste time.
7. What does Albertine give the narrator as a gift when she returns from visiting her aunt?
(a) A pencil case.
(b) A book.
(c) Cuff links.
(d) A card.
8. What do the people in Balbec appear to be mostly concerned about?
(a) Social status.
9. Whose autographed letters does the narrator's grandmother buy for Saint-Loup as a going away present?
(a) A pope.
(b) A philosopher.
(c) A painter.
(d) A dignitary.
10. Who does Bergotte say the narrator's favorite writer resembles in "Guermantes Way, Part I continued"?
(a) Mme. Swann.
(b) M. Guermantes.
(d) The narrator.
11. In "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls," where does the narrator often run into Bloch's sister?
(a) At his hotel.
(b) The racetrack.
(c) The center of town.
(d) A restaurant.
12. Where does Mme. de Villeparisis take the narrator in "Place-Names: The Place, Part II"?
(a) The sea.
(b) Bathing houses.
13. Who does the narrator's grandmother feel Mme. de Villeparisis is connected to socially?
(a) The hotel staff.
(b) The Stermarias.
(c) The Guermantes.
(d) The Swanns.
14. Why can't Saint-Loup introduce the narrator to Mme. Guermantes in Paris in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
(a) He says she is no longer nice.
(b) He says she is too busy.
(c) She is out of town.
(d) She shuts the door on them.
15. In "Place-Names, The Place: Part I," why can't the narrator talk to M. de Stermaria's daughter?
(a) She is too young for the narrator.
(b) They are from different social ranks.
(c) They never get a chance to meet.
(d) She is engaged to someone else.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gisele go to school?
2. In the hotel in Balbec, how will the narrator get his grandmother's attention?
3. While in Balbec, how does the narrator say he feels when he meets Princesse de Luxembourg?
4. Who does the narrator pretend to be interested in when he really likes Albertine?
5. What does the narrator say he admires most about Mme. de Sevigne?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)