|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the narrator want Saint-Loup to get them a dinner invitation to the Guermantes' in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
(a) He's doing his mother a favor.
(b) He wants to prove himself.
(c) He wants to see her house.
(d) He wants to eat with Saint-Loup.
2. In "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls," what game does the narrator fail at while playing with Albertine?
3. Who does Bergotte say the narrator's favorite writer resembles in "Guermantes Way, Part I continued"?
(a) The narrator.
(b) M. Guermantes.
(c) Mme. Swann.
4. In "Guermantes Way, Part I continued," who does not visit the grandmother?
(a) Her nieces.
(b) Her sisters.
(c) Her friends.
(d) Her brothers.
5. What does Dr. Cottard prescribe when the narrator's grandmother doesn't recognize the narrator?
(b) A mixture of spices.
6. What does the grandmother's half-brother do for a living?
(a) He is an artist.
(b) He is a philosopher.
(c) He is a teacher.
(d) He is a clergyman.
7. Why can't the narrator say good-bye to Saint-Loup when he visits him in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
(a) The narrator oversleeps.
(b) Saint-Loup is off with a woman.
(c) Saint-Loup is called to active duty.
(d) The narrator is angry with Saint-Loup.
8. Who lays the grandmother out in her coffin?
(a) The narrator.
(c) The narrator's mother.
9. Why can't Saint-Loup introduce the narrator to Mme. Guermantes in Paris in "Guermantes Way, Part I"?
(a) He says she is no longer nice.
(b) She is out of town.
(c) She shuts the door on them.
(d) He says she is too busy.
10. What does the narrator say he admires most about Mme. de Sevigne?
(a) Her patience.
(b) Her card playing skills.
(c) Her looks.
(d) Her intellect.
11. What does the narrator give Albertine the first time he meets her?
(a) A flower.
(b) A chocolate.
(c) A book.
(d) A photograph.
12. In "Place-Names, The Place: Part I," why can't the narrator talk to M. de Stermaria's daughter?
(a) She is engaged to someone else.
(b) They never get a chance to meet.
(c) She is too young for the narrator.
(d) They are from different social ranks.
13. How do the narrator and his grandmother travel to Balbec in "Place-Names: The Place, Part I"?
(a) By foot.
(b) By train.
(c) By boat.
(d) By private car.
14. While in Balbec, how does the narrator say he feels when he meets Princesse de Luxembourg?
15. What makes the narrator uneasy with his hotel room in Balbec?
(a) The smell.
(b) It is too large.
(c) There is only one window.
(d) It is unfamiliar.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the hotel in Balbec, how will the narrator get his grandmother's attention?
2. What does Elstir do in the arts?
3. In Balbec, why does the manager of the hotel frighten the narrator?
4. In "Seascape, with Frieze of Girls," what makes the narrator notice Albertine?
5. What is the narrator's favorite thing about Balbec?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)