|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps to improve Mme. Swann's opinion of the narrator in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(a) The narrator's mother.
(c) Uncle Adolphe.
(d) Dr. Cottard.
2. What does the narrator give the mistress of a whorehouse as a present in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(a) Gilberte's book.
(b) His mother's dress.
(c) A ring.
(d) His aunt's couch.
3. In "Combray," where does the narrator often read?
(a) Behind the couch.
(b) In his bedroom.
(c) In the garden.
(d) At the dinner table.
4. What does Gilberte say to the narrator that upsets him when they play in the park at Champs-Elysees as children?
(a) That he isn't as strong as she is.
(b) That her nanny forces her to play with him.
(c) That his face is crooked.
(d) That she likes other boys better.
5. Who visits the narrator's family most often when he is a young boy?
(b) Aunt Leonie.
(d) M. Swann.
6. Who does the narrator's mother refuse to ask about in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(a) Mme. Swann.
(b) M. Swann.
(d) Aunt Leonie.
7. In "Swann In Love," who is Swann's competition for Odette's affection?
8. Where is Combray?
(a) In the country.
(b) In a large city.
(c) Just outside the capital.
(d) On an old river.
9. What does Bergotte say about Berma in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(a) He feels sorry for her.
(b) He won't speak of her.
(c) He praises her.
(d) He makes fun of her.
10. Why does Eulalie visit Aunt Leonie every week?
(a) M. Swann encourages her to make friends.
(b) Leonie gives her money.
(c) She owes Leonie money.
(d) She buys Leonie's cookies.
11. In "Overture," how does the narrator's mother comfort him when he is crying?
(a) She calls his father for help.
(b) She gives him a hug.
(c) She reads him books.
(d) She pats his head.
12. Why does Gilberte send the narrator a copy of a Bergotte book?
(a) He wanted to give a copy to his mother.
(b) He asks her about it.
(c) She didn't want her copy.
(d) She had two copies.
13. Swann tends to court what type of lady?
(a) Ones who participate in the arts.
(b) Ones from higher social statuses.
(c) He doesn't have a specific type.
(d) Ones from lower social statuses.
14. Overall, what conclusion does the narrator draw about Gilberte's feelings for him in "Place-Names"?
(a) She is afraid of him.
(b) She is indifferent.
(c) She gets bored of him.
(d) She is in love.
15. In "Swann In Lov,e, why does Swann often go days without seeing Odette?
(a) He can't find her.
(b) He starts seeing someone new.
(c) To prove he doesn't need her.
(d) To give her space.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Place-Names," who tells the narrator to avoid excitement?
2. What does Uncle Adolphe suggest Swann do to get Odette to love him more?
3. In "Mme. Swann at Home," when does Gilberte have tea parties?
4. What does the narrator buy a picture of for himself at the beginning of the new year in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
5. What makes the Verdurins finally disapprove of Swann in "Swann In Love"?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)