|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Swann goes to meet Odette at Prevost's Restaurant?
(a) She is not there.
(b) She is with another man.
(c) He gets into a fight.
(d) He flirts with a waitress.
2. What does the narrator give the mistress of a whorehouse as a present in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(a) His aunt's couch.
(b) Gilberte's book.
(c) His mother's dress.
(d) A ring.
3. What happens when Swann takes Odette on vacation in "Swann In Love"?
(a) He spends too much money.
(b) He gets lost.
(c) He leaves Odette behind.
(d) He is jealous of all the other men.
4. What does Gilberte do the first time the narrator sees her?
(a) Waves in a friendly way.
(c) Call to her father.
(d) Signals an insult.
5. What does the narrator long to see Berma do in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(c) Recite poetry.
6. How does Francoise feel when he watches the cavalry march past his yard?
(a) She feels proud.
(b) She feels sad.
(c) She feels happy.
(d) She feels angry.
7. What does the narrator buy a picture of for himself at the beginning of the new year in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(b) His mother.
8. In "Overture," what does the narrator's grandmother buy him for his birthday?
(a) She gives him money.
9. What makes the Verdurins finally disapprove of Swann in "Swann In Love"?
(a) Swann disagreeing with them.
(b) Swann's taste in music.
(c) Swann having a physical relationship with Odette.
(d) Swann's profession.
10. In "Place-Names," what does Gilberte buy the narrator so he can remember her?
(a) A bracelet.
(b) A comic book.
(c) A pair of shoes.
(d) A marble.
11. What religion does Blotch practice?
12. Who is Francoise?
(a) The narrator's aunt.
(b) A family friend of the narrator's parents.
(c) A servant.
(d) The narrator's uncle.
13. What does the narrator's "magic lantern" do?
(a) Pick up radio broadcasts.
(b) Record his favorite songs.
(c) Turn off once it is daylight.
(d) Project pictures on the wall.
14. In "Overture," how does the narrator's mother comfort him when he is crying?
(a) She gives him a hug.
(b) She reads him books.
(c) She calls his father for help.
(d) She pats his head.
15. Why must the narrator cancel his travel plans in "Place-Names"?
(b) Lack of money.
(d) He starts school.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Aunt Leonie leave her estate to?
2. In "Mme. Swann at Home," what do the Swanns brag about in front of the narrator?
3. What is Mme. de Saint-Loup's house?
4. What does Uncle Adolphe suggest Swann do to get Odette to love him more?
5. What does the narrator's great-aunt Leonie brag about in "Combray"?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)