|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Swann In Love," who is Swann's competition for Odette's affection?
2. In "Mme. Swann at Home," when does Gilberte have tea parties?
(a) Friday and Saturday.
(b) Saturday and Sunday.
(c) Sundays only.
(d) Monday and Friday.
3. What does Swann leave behind the first time he visits Odette's house?
(a) His keys.
(b) His jacket.
(c) A pair of cuff links.
(d) A cigarette case.
4. In "Place-Names," how does the narrator's mother describe Mme. Blatin?
5. What happened at Combray to make the narrator appreciate art?
(a) His mother started collecting art.
(b) Francoise got into a fight with another maid.
(c) A kitchen-maid got pregnant.
(d) A cat took care of another cat.
6. What happens when Swann takes Odette on vacation in "Swann In Love"?
(a) He is jealous of all the other men.
(b) He spends too much money.
(c) He gets lost.
(d) He leaves Odette behind.
7. In "Mme. Swann at Home," what opinion does M. de Norpois have about Mme. Swann?
(a) He says she is funny.
(b) He says she is useless.
(c) He says she is charming.
(d) He says she is clever.
8. What does Uncle Adolphe suggest Swann do to get Odette to love him more?
(a) Become friends with her father.
(b) Do whatever she says.
(c) Buy her presents.
(d) Stay away from her.
9. Why is Swann often late to the Verdurin's parties in "Swann In Love"?
(a) Because he is seeing another girl.
(b) Because he doesn't care.
(c) Because he doesn't have a watch.
(d) Because he picked up a second job.
10. In "Swann In Lov,e, why does Swann often go days without seeing Odette?
(a) He can't find her.
(b) To give her space.
(c) He starts seeing someone new.
(d) To prove he doesn't need her.
11. In "Place-Names," how does the narrator feel the day M. Swann picks up Gilberte from playing?
12. Who does the narrator's mother refuse to ask about in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(b) Mme. Swann.
(c) M. Swann.
(d) Aunt Leonie.
13. What does the narrator long to see Berma do in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(a) Recite poetry.
14. What art does M. Vinteuil dabble in?
(b) Music composition.
(d) Oil painting.
15. Which day of the week is dinner served early at Combray?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces the narrator to whorehouses?
2. What does Gilberte do the first time the narrator sees her?
3. When does the narrator send his mother a note in "Overture"?
4. Who is Francoise?
5. What does Bergotte say about Berma in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)