|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gilberte send the narrator a copy of a Bergotte book?
(a) He asks her about it.
(b) She had two copies.
(c) She didn't want her copy.
(d) He wanted to give a copy to his mother.
2. In "Swann In Lov,e, why does Swann often go days without seeing Odette?
(a) He starts seeing someone new.
(b) To prove he doesn't need her.
(c) To give her space.
(d) He can't find her.
3. In "Swann In Love," who is Swann's competition for Odette's affection?
4. In "Swann In Love," what does Swann say he is studying whenever he is with Odette?
(c) His future.
5. In "Mme. Swann at Home," when does Gilberte have tea parties?
(a) Friday and Saturday.
(b) Saturday and Sunday.
(c) Monday and Friday.
(d) Sundays only.
6. Who takes the narrator to Champs-Elysees every day in "Place-Names"?
(c) The doctor.
(d) His mother.
7. What makes the narrator remember Combray as an adult?
(a) Meeting M. Swann at the opera.
(b) His grandmother's funeral.
(c) Making coffee.
(d) Drinking tea.
8. What happens when Swann takes Odette on vacation in "Swann In Love"?
(a) He leaves Odette behind.
(b) He spends too much money.
(c) He gets lost.
(d) He is jealous of all the other men.
9. What is Mme. de Saint-Loup's house?
(a) A place the narrator visited when he was younger.
(b) A restaurant that is open late.
(c) The boarding house were the narrator stays.
(d) The narrator's aunt's business.
10. What does Bergotte say about Berma in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(a) He won't speak of her.
(b) He feels sorry for her.
(c) He praises her.
(d) He makes fun of her.
11. Who does the narrator's mother refuse to ask about in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(a) Aunt Leonie.
(b) Mme. Swann.
(c) M. Swann.
12. Where is Combray?
(a) On an old river.
(b) In a large city.
(c) In the country.
(d) Just outside the capital.
13. In "Mme. Swann at Home," what opinion does M. de Norpois have about Mme. Swann?
(a) He says she is clever.
(b) He says she is charming.
(c) He says she is useless.
(d) He says she is funny.
14. Why does the narrator's mother sleep in his room in "Overture"?
(a) The narrator requests it.
(b) His father sees that he is upset.
(c) She feels bad for not kissing him goodnight.
(d) The narrator is ill.
15. What does the narrator give the mistress of a whorehouse as a present in "Mme. Swann at Home"?
(a) Gilberte's book.
(b) A ring.
(c) His aunt's couch.
(d) His mother's dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Francoise feel when he watches the cavalry march past his yard?
2. In "Place-Names," what happens the day the narrator fears Gilberte Swann will not come to play?
3. What does the narrator say happened to his belief in the elegance of women?
4. In "Swann In Love," who does Swann refuse a dinner invitation from?
5. Why does the narrator enjoy the fall in "Place-Names"?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)