|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gemmy unnerve the settlers?
(a) He rarely speaks.
(b) His skin is blackened.
(c) He seems to be watching them carefully.
(d) He moves stealthily like a native.
2. What fear consumes most of the settlers?
(a) Interracial marriage between settlers and natives
(b) An attack by wild animals
(c) An attack by the natives
(d) The integration of natives into their community
3. Who examines Gemmy at the schoolhouse?
(a) George Abbot
(b) Mr. Frazer
(d) Jock McIvor
4. What sort of relationship do Lachlan and Janet develop?
(a) No relationship
(b) A love-hate relationship
(c) An antagonistic relationship
(d) A close, loving relationship
5. Which of the following details is NOT true of Gemmy's appearance?
(a) He appears to be a native.
(b) He is built like a sailor.
(c) He is wearing very little clothing.
(d) He is scrawny.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gemmy get food once in Queensland?
2. What does Mrs. Hutchence often hire the settlers to do in her home?
3. What English word does Gemmy remember that causes him to have nightmares?
4. What does George Abbot do to convince everyone he is older than he is?
5. Which of the settlers seems to understand and connect with Gemmy the most in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellen react to the changes in Jock?
2. Why do the settlers come to visit Mrs. Hutchence's house?
3. Describe the attributes that make Mrs. Hutchence unique in the community
4. What happens to Gemmy's language skills as he lives with the natives?
5. Describe Gemmy's relationship with Mr. Frazer in this chapter.
6. What is Gemmy reminded of when he sees fire? How does this make him feel?
7. What does Gemmy think bothers Jock McIvor most about his presence on their farm?
8. What does Lachlan do that makes Jock proud of him?
9. How does Jock react to Barney Mason's concerns about Gemmy? What is ironic about his reaction?
10. Describe what Janet sees that makes her think of the word "glory".
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)