|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Janet do to retreat from the frustration in her life?
(a) Works on the farm
(b) Plays with Lachlan
(c) Reads books
(d) Plays with Gemmy
2. What is Ned Corcoran's opinion of Gemmy?
(a) He thinks Gemmy is dangerous.
(b) He believes Gemmy is extremely intelligent.
(c) He is intrigued by Gemmy.
(d) He believes Gemmy is a fraud.
3. Who does Gemmy believe has the power in the McIvor family?
4. Which of the settlers seems to understand and connect with Gemmy the most in this chapter?
(a) Mr. Frazer
(b) Ned Corcoran
(d) Jock McIvor
5. Where does Gemmy sleep at the McIvor farm?
(a) In a barn outside of the hut
(b) In a lean-to outside of the hut
(c) On the front porch
(d) In Lachlan's room
Short Answer Questions
1. How would Ellen characterize Jock at this point in the story?
2. What happens to Gemmy when he observes the white settlers?
3. Where does Mrs. Hutchence live in the settlement?
4. What do the Aborigines call the white settlers?
5. Who examines Gemmy at the schoolhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does George want to travel to when he graduates from school? Why is this his dream?
2. What does Abbot do to cultivate the idea that he is older than he is?
3. Describe the attributes that make Mrs. Hutchence unique in the community
4. Describe the game that the children were playing before they found Gemmy on the beach
5. Why do the settlers come to visit Mrs. Hutchence's house?
6. How does Gemmy attempt to protect the natives?
7. What does Ellen recount for the children when she finds out that Lachlan will be coming to live with the McIvors?
8. What does Jock do when the men confront him about Gemmy's visit with the natives?
9. What does Lachlan do that makes Jock proud of him?
10. How does Gemmy's arrival disrupt Jock's lifestyle?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)