|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Janet feel when she hurts Lachlan?
2. What does Janet do to retreat from the frustration in her life?
(a) Works on the farm
(b) Plays with Lachlan
(c) Plays with Gemmy
(d) Reads books
3. What does George Abbot do to convince everyone he is older than he is?
(a) Speaks condescendingly to others
(b) Grows a beard
(c) Drinks alcohol
(d) Carries a pipe
4. What does Andy tell the other settlers that the natives gave to Gemmy?
(a) A stone
(b) A talisman
(c) A weapon
(d) A book
5. Why does Gemmy feel weak after Mr. Frazer takes his statement?
(a) He has struggled to speak English again.
(b) He has been awake for many hours.
(c) He was beaten by Frazer.
(d) He believes the writing is magic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gemmy represent for the settlers?
2. What do Jock and Ellen begin talking about for the first time in many years?
3. What does George Abbot often study in the afternoons?
4. Who is Andy most eager to tell of Gemmy's visitors?
5. Why is Janet a mystery to Gemmy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Comet River represent for the white settlers?
2. Describe Gemmy's visit with the natives.
3. Why do the settlers come to visit Mrs. Hutchence's house?
4. Describe the game that the children were playing before they found Gemmy on the beach
5. What is the impact of Andy's story to the settlers about Gemmy's "visit"?
6. What does Abbot do to cultivate the idea that he is older than he is?
7. Where does George want to travel to when he graduates from school? Why is this his dream?
8. How do Gemmy's language skills change as he begins observing the white settlers?
9. How does Gemmy attempt to protect the natives?
10. What happens to Gemmy's language skills as he lives with the natives?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)