|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Gemmy unnerve the settlers?
(a) He rarely speaks.
(b) He moves stealthily like a native.
(c) He seems to be watching them carefully.
(d) His skin is blackened.
2. Why does George Abbot ignore Lachlan in class?
(a) He does not care about motivating students.
(b) He finds Lachlan annoying.
(c) He dislikes the McIvor family.
(d) He does not like to be challenged.
3. What does Abbot notice about Lachlan?
(a) He is highly intelligent and motivated.
(b) He is an arrogant child.
(c) He is apathetic and disinterested.
(d) He is intelligent, but lazy.
4. What happens to Gemmy when he observes the white settlers?
(a) He longs for England.
(b) He wishes he could be with people like himself.
(c) He begins to remember words in English.
(d) He realizes how much better his life is with the natives.
5. What happens to Jock and Ellen's marriage as a result of their conflict with their fellow settlers?
(a) They become more isolated from each other.
(b) They become closer to each other.
(c) They consider separating.
(d) They become angry and depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did George want to go to work after finishing school?
2. What is George's impression of Leona?
3. Why does Ellen become kinder to Gemmy in this chapter?
4. How did Gemmy come to be on Queensland?
5. How does Abbot feel when he strikes a student?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the two types of settlers that Gemmy encounters in this chapter.
2. Describe George's relationship with Mr. Robertson.
3. What does Gemmy think bothers Jock McIvor most about his presence on their farm?
4. Where does George want to travel to when he graduates from school? Why is this his dream?
5. How does Ellen react to the changes in Jock?
6. What does Comet River represent for the white settlers?
7. How does Jock react to Barney Mason's concerns about Gemmy? What is ironic about his reaction?
8. Describe Gemmy's visit with the natives.
9. What does Gemmy do to help the villagers understand him? Why does he need to do this?
10. What is the impact of Andy's story to the settlers about Gemmy's "visit"?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)