|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Janet's opinion of Australia?
(a) She believes it is dark and oppressive.
(b) She believes it is beautiful and bountiful.
(c) She believes it is dangerous and hostile.
(d) She believes it is boring and uninteresting.
2. What does the figure from the swamp first do that surprises the children?
(a) He speaks to them in English.
(b) He hugs them.
(c) He dances around.
(d) He runs away from them.
3. Which of the visitors to Mrs. Hutchence's house is most surprising?
4. What does Janet do to retreat from the frustration in her life?
(a) Plays with Lachlan
(b) Works on the farm
(c) Plays with Gemmy
(d) Reads books
5. Who is not allowed to interact with Gemmy when he is living with the natives?
(a) The settlers
(b) The men
(c) The children
(d) The women
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lachlan plan to travel the world with?
2. Why does Gemmy unnerve the settlers?
3. How does Gemmy react to Andy when he approaches him?
4. Who takes pride in bringing Gemmy to the settlement?
5. What happened to two of the McIvors' children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lachlan do that makes Jock proud of him?
2. Describe Brisbane when the McIvors arrived there.
3. Describe George's relationship with Mr. Robertson.
4. How does Gemmy attempt to maintain his ties to the aborigines in this chapter?
5. What does Gemmy do to help the villagers understand him? Why does he need to do this?
6. Describe Gemmy's appearance when the children first come upon him
7. What is Gemmy reminded of when he sees fire? How does this make him feel?
8. How does Jock's opinion of his wife change in this chapter?
9. Describe the attributes that make Mrs. Hutchence unique in the community
10. What is Andy's version of the meeting Gemmy has with the natives? What is incorrect about his version?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)