|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following character traits best describes George Abbot?
2. Why does Gemmy fail to tell the settlers where certain landmarks are in the natives' community?
(a) He wants to protect the natives.
(b) He does not know where they are located.
(c) He doesn't know the English words for the landmarks.
(d) He distrusts the settlers.
3. What does Janet notice one day that seems to open up the world to her?
(a) The brightness of the sun
(c) The pink color under a scab
(d) Lachlan's true nature
4. What is Janet's opinion of Australia?
(a) She believes it is beautiful and bountiful.
(b) She believes it is dark and oppressive.
(c) She believes it is boring and uninteresting.
(d) She believes it is dangerous and hostile.
5. Who is the primary focus of George's anger and frustration?
(a) Mr. Frazer
(b) His family
(d) His students
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gemmy eat that reminds him of his childhood in England?
2. What concerns Jock most about Gemmy?
3. When does Ellen become fearful of Gemmy?
4. Where did Lachlan live before moving to Australia?
5. What is Ned Corcoran's opinion of Gemmy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jock's opinion of his wife change in this chapter?
2. How does Gemmy move around the McIvors? How does this make the family feel? Why?
3. How do Gemmy's language skills change as he begins observing the white settlers?
4. Describe the events that occurred during the McIvors first years in Australia
5. Describe Brisbane when the McIvors arrived there.
6. What does Lachlan do that makes Jock proud of him?
7. What is Gemmy reminded of when he sees fire? How does this make him feel?
8. How does Jock's opinion of his neighbors change in this chapter?
9. How does Janet initially interact with Gemmy once he is living with the McIvors?
10. Why does Lachlan boast so often? Why does this bother Janet?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)