|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Aborigines call the white settlers?
(a) White spirits
(b) Land thieves
(c) Evil spirits
(d) Devil people
2. Why is Janet a mystery to Gemmy?
(a) She is quiet and withdrawn.
(b) She lets Lachlan act like he is in charge.
(c) She does not need everyone to recognize her power.
(d) She is not very open.
3. How does Barney show his unease about Gemmy?
(a) He yells at Gemmy.
(b) He carries a shot gun.
(c) He refuses to talk to Gemmy.
(d) He paces his property line.
4. Where did George want to go to work after finishing school?
(a) The United States
5. How does Andy act when he tells the story of Gemmy's visit with the natives?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hutchence often hire the settlers to do in her home?
2. What does Janet notice one day that seems to open up the world to her?
3. Why does Gemmy unnerve the settlers?
4. Who examines Gemmy at the schoolhouse?
5. Who takes pride in bringing Gemmy to the settlement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abbot do to cultivate the idea that he is older than he is?
2. Describe the game that the children were playing before they found Gemmy on the beach
3. Why does Lachlan boast so often? Why does this bother Janet?
4. Describe Gemmy's relationship with Mr. Frazer in this chapter.
5. What does Lachlan do that makes Jock proud of him?
6. What sort of relationship does Gemmy have with the natives while he is living with them? How does he "fit" into their society?
7. What happens to Gemmy's language skills as he lives with the natives?
8. What does Gemmy think bothers Jock McIvor most about his presence on their farm?
9. Where does George want to travel to when he graduates from school? Why is this his dream?
10. How does Andy come to discover Gemmy visits with the natives? How does he react?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)