|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ned Corcoran's opinion of Gemmy?
(a) He is intrigued by Gemmy.
(b) He thinks Gemmy is dangerous.
(c) He believes Gemmy is extremely intelligent.
(d) He believes Gemmy is a fraud.
2. Which of the McIvor children does Gemmy feel the greatest connection with?
3. Where does Mrs. Hutchence live in the settlement?
(a) She lives close to the McIvors.
(b) She lives near the schoolhouse.
(c) She lives next door to George Abbot.
(d) She lives outside of the settlement.
4. Who approaches George Abbot one day as he is leaving on his afternoon "retreat"?
(b) Mr. Frazer
(c) Janet McIvor
(d) Mrs. Hutchence
5. Which of the visitors to Mrs. Hutchence's house is most surprising?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Hutchence often hire the settlers to do in her home?
2. How does Jock feel about his unease with Gemmy's presence in the family's home?
3. Why does Jock become disgusted when his neighbors tell him about Gemmy's visit with the natives?
4. Which of Jock's neighbors does he expect to support him?
5. Why is it problematic that Andy tells the men about the stone the natives give Gemmy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gemmy move around the McIvors? How does this make the family feel? Why?
2. What does Lachlan do that makes Jock proud of him?
3. What is the impact of Andy's story to the settlers about Gemmy's "visit"?
4. How does Jock's opinion of his neighbors change in this chapter?
5. How does Gemmy's arrival disrupt Jock's lifestyle?
6. Why do the settlers come to visit Mrs. Hutchence's house?
7. Describe the attributes that make Mrs. Hutchence unique in the community
8. What sort of relationship does Gemmy have with the natives while he is living with them? How does he "fit" into their society?
9. What is Gemmy reminded of when he sees fire? How does this make him feel?
10. How does Jock's opinion of his wife change in this chapter?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)