|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George Abbot do to convince everyone he is older than he is?
(a) Drinks alcohol
(b) Speaks condescendingly to others
(c) Grows a beard
(d) Carries a pipe
2. Where did George want to go to work after finishing school?
(b) The United States
3. How does Ned Corcoran react when he sees an aborigine on his property?
(a) He tries to reason with him.
(b) He runs them off of his property.
(c) He shoots him.
(d) He observes him carefully.
4. Which of the following describes Lachlan's demeanor when he arrived in Australia?
(a) Excited and anxious
(b) Sullen and depressed
(c) Disinterested and ungrateful
(d) Arrogant and angry
5. Which of the following describes Leona as she is characterized in this chapter?
(a) Kind and poised
(b) Friendly, but superficial
(c) Awkward and faltering
(d) Kind, but guarded
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jock and Ellen begin talking about for the first time in many years?
2. What does Jock jokingly tell the men that they are afraid of?
3. Who is Andy most eager to tell of Gemmy's visitors?
4. How was George treated as a child?
5. How do the settlers react when Gemmy gives them misinformation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of relationship does Gemmy have with the natives while he is living with them? How does he "fit" into their society?
2. How does Gemmy's arrival disrupt Jock's lifestyle?
3. What does Lachlan do that makes Jock proud of him?
4. How does Jock's opinion of his wife change in this chapter?
5. What is the impact of Andy's story to the settlers about Gemmy's "visit"?
6. What does Gemmy do to help the villagers understand him? Why does he need to do this?
7. Describe the game that the children were playing before they found Gemmy on the beach
8. How old does George Abbot want the people in the settlement to think he is? How old is he actually?
9. How does Gemmy move around the McIvors? How does this make the family feel? Why?
10. Describe Gemmy's visit with the natives.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)