|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Ellen become fearful of Gemmy?
(a) When he speaks
(b) All the time
(c) When he disappears
(d) At night
2. What does George Abbot do to convince everyone he is older than he is?
(a) Carries a pipe
(b) Drinks alcohol
(c) Grows a beard
(d) Speaks condescendingly to others
3. How does Andy act when he tells the story of Gemmy's visit with the natives?
4. Who do the settlers worry is visiting secretly Gemmy?
(a) Mr. Frazer
(b) The children
(c) The natives
5. How did Gemmy come to be on Queensland?
(a) He was born there.
(b) He was thrown off of a ship.
(c) He was a part of another settlement.
(d) He was sent there as a prisoner.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Jock's neighbors delights in the scrutiny of the settlers about Gemmy's presence in the McIvor home?
2. What is George's impression of Leona?
3. What do the children think the figure is when they first see it?
4. Which of the McIvors is unsettled by Gemmy's presence in the house?
5. Which of the McIvor children does Gemmy feel the greatest connection with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Abbot do to cultivate the idea that he is older than he is?
2. What is the impact of Andy's story to the settlers about Gemmy's "visit"?
3. Describe what Janet sees that makes her think of the word "glory".
4. Describe the attributes that make Mrs. Hutchence unique in the community
5. Describe Gemmy's appearance when the children first come upon him
6. What does Gemmy think bothers Jock McIvor most about his presence on their farm?
7. What happens to Gemmy's language skills as he lives with the natives?
8. Describe Brisbane when the McIvors arrived there.
9. What does Comet River represent for the white settlers?
10. What does Jock do when the men confront him about Gemmy's visit with the natives?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)