|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Abbot feel when he strikes a student?
(a) Excited then frustrated.
(b) Shameful then excited.
(c) Excited then shameful.
(d) Angry then peaceful.
2. What does Gemmy represent for the settlers?
(a) The effects of poverty.
(b) The fate of their children.
(c) The unknown danger of the natives.
(d) The fate they could face one day.
3. Who examines Gemmy at the schoolhouse?
(a) George Abbot
(c) Mr. Frazer
(d) Jock McIvor
4. What does Janet see as a barrier in her future?
(a) Her gender
(b) Her family
(d) Her age
5. Why does Gemmy feel weak after Mr. Frazer takes his statement?
(a) He was beaten by Frazer.
(b) He has been awake for many hours.
(c) He believes the writing is magic.
(d) He has struggled to speak English again.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Janet's opinion of Australia?
2. What is Ned Corcoran's opinion of Gemmy?
3. What fear consumes most of the settlers?
4. What does Lachlan pretend his stick is?
5. What role do most of the settlers hope the natives will play in their settlement one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lachlan do that makes Jock proud of him?
2. Describe the attributes that make Mrs. Hutchence unique in the community
3. How does Ellen react to the changes in Jock?
4. What does Gemmy do to help the villagers understand him? Why does he need to do this?
5. How does Jock react to Barney Mason's concerns about Gemmy? What is ironic about his reaction?
6. What does Comet River represent for the white settlers?
7. Describe Brisbane when the McIvors arrived there.
8. How does Gemmy's arrival disrupt Jock's lifestyle?
9. What is Gemmy reminded of when he sees fire? How does this make him feel?
10. Why does George choose to study French in the afternoons?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)