|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jock begin appreciating about Ellen in this chapter?
(a) The things she does for their family
(b) Her intelligence
(c) Her beauty
(d) The things she does for Gemmy
2. Why does Gemmy fail to tell the settlers where certain landmarks are in the natives' community?
(a) He distrusts the settlers.
(b) He doesn't know the English words for the landmarks.
(c) He wants to protect the natives.
(d) He does not know where they are located.
3. How does Ned Corcoran react when he sees an aborigine on his property?
(a) He observes him carefully.
(b) He runs them off of his property.
(c) He shoots him.
(d) He tries to reason with him.
4. How does Gemmy act after the visitors leave?
(a) He continues working as if nothing happened.
(b) He becomes agitated.
(c) He is clearly unnerved.
(d) He seems at peace and calm.
5. Which of the settlers seems to understand and connect with Gemmy the most in this chapter?
(a) Ned Corcoran
(b) Jock McIvor
(c) Mr. Frazer
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gemmy attempt to protect the native plants while exploring with Mr. Frazer?
2. Why does Lachlan come to live with the McIvors?
3. Where did Jock McIvor want to go before settling in Australia?
4. What did the natives often tell stories about?
5. What happened to two of the McIvors' children?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Gemmy's arrival disrupt Jock's lifestyle?
2. Where does George want to travel to when he graduates from school? Why is this his dream?
3. Describe Gemmy's appearance when the children first come upon him
4. How does Jock's opinion of his wife change in this chapter?
5. What does Lachlan do that makes Jock proud of him?
6. How does Gemmy move around the McIvors? How does this make the family feel? Why?
7. What does Comet River represent for the white settlers?
8. How does Jock's opinion of his neighbors change in this chapter?
9. Describe what Janet sees that makes her think of the word "glory".
10. Describe the events that occurred during the McIvors first years in Australia
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)