|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concerns Jock most about Gemmy?
(a) He looks like he is black.
(b) He rarely speaks.
(c) The reaction he gets from the neighbors
(d) The reaction he gets from the children
2. What do some of the settlers think Gemmy's motive was in moving to the settlement?
(a) To rob their homes
(b) To take over the settlement
(c) To spy on them for the English
(d) To spy on them for the natives
3. Why does George Abbot ignore Lachlan in class?
(a) He finds Lachlan annoying.
(b) He does not care about motivating students.
(c) He does not like to be challenged.
(d) He dislikes the McIvor family.
4. How does Gemmy get food once in Queensland?
(a) He hunts for himself.
(b) He steals it from the natives.
(c) He steals it from the settlers.
(d) He helps the natives hunt.
5. What does Janet do to retreat from the frustration in her life?
(a) Plays with Gemmy
(b) Plays with Lachlan
(c) Reads books
(d) Works on the farm
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellen think has made Jock's youth dwindle?
2. Why does Lachlan come to live with the McIvors?
3. What did the natives often tell stories about?
4. What do the children think the figure is when they first see it?
5. Who is Andy most eager to tell of Gemmy's visitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of relationship does Gemmy have with the natives while he is living with them? How does he "fit" into their society?
2. What is Andy's version of the meeting Gemmy has with the natives? What is incorrect about his version?
3. Describe the two events that happen in this chapter which unnerve Jock.
4. What does Abbot do to cultivate the idea that he is older than he is?
5. Describe what Janet sees that makes her think of the word "glory".
6. How does Lachlan's relationship with Gemmy change over time?
7. How does George Abbot trick Gemmy in this chapter? Why does he do this?
8. How do Lachlan's relationships with the other settler children change over time? What causes this change?
9. Describe the game that the children were playing before they found Gemmy on the beach
10. How old does George Abbot want the people in the settlement to think he is? How old is he actually?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)