|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Lachlan plan to travel the world with?
(c) George Abbot
2. Why does Gemmy feel weak after Mr. Frazer takes his statement?
(a) He has struggled to speak English again.
(b) He was beaten by Frazer.
(c) He believes the writing is magic.
(d) He has been awake for many hours.
3. Why does Ellen become kinder to Gemmy in this chapter?
(a) She believes his presence has brought her and Jock closer together.
(b) She realizes that he is mentally challenged.
(c) She believes he has suffered enough.
(d) She wants to protect him from the settlers.
4. How long do the natives wait before visiting Gemmy for the first time?
(a) Two years
(b) One year
(c) Two months
(d) One month
5. What was Brisbane like when the McIvors first arrived there?
(a) Lively and bright
(b) Entirely wild
(c) Beautiful and open
(d) Muddy and gloomy
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janet see as a barrier in her future?
2. How does Gemmy get food once in Queensland?
3. Why does Lachlan come to live with the McIvors?
4. How does Janet feel when she hurts Lachlan?
5. Why does Gemmy chose to ignore Andy when he approaches him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Andy's version of the meeting Gemmy has with the natives? What is incorrect about his version?
2. What does Abbot do to cultivate the idea that he is older than he is?
3. Why does Lachlan boast so often? Why does this bother Janet?
4. How does Andy come to discover Gemmy visits with the natives? How does he react?
5. What does Ellen recount for the children when she finds out that Lachlan will be coming to live with the McIvors?
6. What does Jock do when the men confront him about Gemmy's visit with the natives?
7. How does Lachlan act towards Gemmy while walking him back to the development? What does Lachlan pretend Gemmy is?
8. How does Gemmy's arrival disrupt Jock's lifestyle?
9. Why does George choose to study French in the afternoons?
10. What does Gemmy think bothers Jock McIvor most about his presence on their farm?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)