|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of relationship do Lachlan and Janet develop?
(a) A love-hate relationship
(b) A close, loving relationship
(c) No relationship
(d) An antagonistic relationship
2. Which of Jock's neighbors refuses to back down about Gemmy?
3. What are the children afraid of after hearing their parents' stories?
(b) Anyone who is different than them
(c) Wild animals in the forest
(d) The natives of Queensland
4. What English word does Gemmy remember that causes him to have nightmares?
5. What does Gemmy spend a great deal of time telling Mr. Frazer about?
(a) The aborigines
(b) The native plants
(c) His life in England
(d) The settlers
Short Answer Questions
1. What fear consumes most of the settlers?
2. Who is Andy most eager to tell of Gemmy's visitors?
3. Who rescues Gemmy when he washes up on the shore?
4. What do Jock and Ellen begin talking about for the first time in many years?
5. How does Barney show his unease about Gemmy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe George's relationship with Mr. Robertson.
2. What did Gemmy do that affected Janet and Lachlan's lives?
3. How does George Abbot trick Gemmy in this chapter? Why does he do this?
4. How do Lachlan's relationships with the other settler children change over time? What causes this change?
5. What does Comet River represent for the white settlers?
6. How does Gemmy help Mrs. Hutchence with her beekeeping?
7. What event brings Janet and Lachlan back together after many years?
8. Where does George want to travel to when he graduates from school? Why is this his dream?
9. Describe how Gemmy's strength is restored during his visit with the natives.
10. Why doesn't Jock ask Gemmy to leave the farm after the two incidents in this chapter?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)