|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lachlan come to live with the McIvors?
(a) His mother is killed.
(b) His father is killed.
(c) He runs away from home.
(d) His parents want him to have a better life in Australia.
2. What is George's impression of Leona?
(a) He is put off by her manner.
(b) He immediately likes her.
(c) He is awestruck by her beauty.
(d) He is confused by her.
3. Who does Gemmy get to know better through visits to Mrs. Hutchence's house?
4. What does Gemmy spend a great deal of time telling Mr. Frazer about?
(a) The native plants
(b) His life in England
(c) The settlers
(d) The aborigines
5. What does Lachlan do that makes Janet feel insulted?
(a) He constantly talks about Australia.
(b) He constantly talks about Scotland.
(c) He criticizes her appearance.
(d) He is unkind to her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did George want to go to work after finishing school?
2. How did Gemmy come to be on Queensland?
3. What does Gemmy do when the natives approach him that is lost on Andy?
4. What does Jock think of Andy's version of the event (Gemmy's visit with the aborigines)?
5. Where did Jock McIvor want to go before settling in Australia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the impact of Andy's story to the settlers about Gemmy's "visit"?
2. What does Abbot do to cultivate the idea that he is older than he is?
3. Describe the game that the children were playing before they found Gemmy on the beach
4. How does George Abbot trick Gemmy in this chapter? Why does he do this?
5. How does Jock react to Barney Mason's concerns about Gemmy? What is ironic about his reaction?
6. Why do the settlers come to visit Mrs. Hutchence's house?
7. What is Sir George's vision for Queensland?
8. What does Janet realize on the night depicted in this chapter that makes her feel she has become an adult?
9. What does Comet River represent for the white settlers?
10. Describe what Janet sees that makes her think of the word "glory".
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)