|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gemmy attempt to integrate himself with the natives?
(a) He dresses like them.
(b) He steals their food.
(c) He flirts with the women.
(d) He sits with them around their fires.
2. Why is George shocked when he comes into Mrs. Hutchence's house?
(a) It is scarcely decorated
(b) Many of the settlers are there
(c) The house is opulent
(d) He sees Leona for the first time
3. What does Lachlan pretend his stick is?
(a) A gun
(b) A leash
(c) A sword
(d) A tree
4. How do the settlers react when Gemmy gives them misinformation?
(a) They belittle him and smile.
(b) They become angry and violent.
(c) They ignore him.
(d) They press him for correct information.
5. What happens to Gemmy when he observes the white settlers?
(a) He longs for England.
(b) He wishes he could be with people like himself.
(c) He realizes how much better his life is with the natives.
(d) He begins to remember words in English.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gemmy react to Andy when he approaches him?
2. Who does Gemmy get to know better through visits to Mrs. Hutchence's house?
3. What does Mrs. Hutchence often hire the settlers to do in her home?
4. How does Gemmy react when he speaks to the children?
5. Who does Leona easily converse with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Gemmy's language skills change as he begins observing the white settlers?
2. Describe George's relationship with Mr. Robertson.
3. What sort of relationship does Gemmy have with the natives while he is living with them? How does he "fit" into their society?
4. How does Gemmy move around the McIvors? How does this make the family feel? Why?
5. How does Janet initially interact with Gemmy once he is living with the McIvors?
6. Describe Gemmy's appearance when the children first come upon him
7. What happens to Gemmy's language skills as he lives with the natives?
8. How does Gemmy attempt to maintain his ties to the aborigines in this chapter?
9. What does Lachlan do that makes Jock proud of him?
10. How does Gemmy's arrival disrupt Jock's lifestyle?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)