|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Barney show his unease about Gemmy?
(a) He paces his property line.
(b) He carries a shot gun.
(c) He yells at Gemmy.
(d) He refuses to talk to Gemmy.
2. Which of the McIvors is unsettled by Gemmy's presence in the house?
3. What does Mr. Frazer do that amuses Gemmy?
(a) He eats sour native fruits.
(b) He attempts to speak the native language.
(c) He draws amusing pictures of the native plants.
(d) He attempts to understand native plants.
4. Who examines Gemmy at the schoolhouse?
(b) Jock McIvor
(c) Mr. Frazer
(d) George Abbot
5. What does Gemmy do to help the settlers feel more comfortable about his presence?
(a) He is playful and friendly.
(b) He quickly tries to learn English.
(c) He tells them about his past in England.
(d) He is helpful and kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George's impression of Leona?
2. Which of the visitors to Mrs. Hutchence's house is most surprising?
3. Which of the settlers seems to understand and connect with Gemmy the most in this chapter?
4. What does Lachlan pretend his stick is?
5. What do the Aborigines call the white settlers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the game that the children were playing before they found Gemmy on the beach
2. What does Abbot do to cultivate the idea that he is older than he is?
3. Describe the events that occurred during the McIvors first years in Australia
4. How does Gemmy move around the McIvors? How does this make the family feel? Why?
5. Why does George choose to study French in the afternoons?
6. Describe Brisbane when the McIvors arrived there.
7. What does Gemmy do to help the villagers understand him? Why does he need to do this?
8. What happens to Gemmy's language skills as he lives with the natives?
9. How does Lachlan act towards Gemmy while walking him back to the development? What does Lachlan pretend Gemmy is?
10. How does Andy come to discover Gemmy visits with the natives? How does he react?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)