|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do the natives wait before visiting Gemmy for the first time?
(a) Two months
(b) One year
(c) One month
(d) Two years
2. What happens to Gemmy when he observes the white settlers?
(a) He realizes how much better his life is with the natives.
(b) He begins to remember words in English.
(c) He longs for England.
(d) He wishes he could be with people like himself.
3. Why does Ellen become kinder to Gemmy in this chapter?
(a) She wants to protect him from the settlers.
(b) She realizes that he is mentally challenged.
(c) She believes he has suffered enough.
(d) She believes his presence has brought her and Jock closer together.
4. What do some of the settlers think Gemmy's motive was in moving to the settlement?
(a) To spy on them for the English
(b) To rob their homes
(c) To spy on them for the natives
(d) To take over the settlement
5. What concerns Jock most about Gemmy?
(a) He looks like he is black.
(b) He rarely speaks.
(c) The reaction he gets from the children
(d) The reaction he gets from the neighbors
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Janet see as a barrier in her future?
2. What do Jock and Ellen begin talking about for the first time in many years?
3. What are the children afraid of after hearing their parents' stories?
4. Why does Lachlan come to live with the McIvors?
5. How do many of the settlers react when they find out the natives visited Gemmy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jock's opinion of his wife change in this chapter?
2. Describe the events that occurred during the McIvors first years in Australia
3. What does Jock do when the men confront him about Gemmy's visit with the natives?
4. How does Andy come to discover Gemmy visits with the natives? How does he react?
5. Describe George's relationship with Mr. Robertson.
6. Describe Gemmy's appearance when the children first come upon him
7. How does Gemmy's arrival disrupt Jock's lifestyle?
8. What is Andy's version of the meeting Gemmy has with the natives? What is incorrect about his version?
9. Where does George want to travel to when he graduates from school? Why is this his dream?
10. Describe the game that the children were playing before they found Gemmy on the beach
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)