|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sleeps with Lucius in the attic?
2. What part of the horse does Ned say does not want to run?
3. What does Parsham take Lucius to do after dinner?
4. How much did Otis charge children to watch Miss Corrie?
5. Where does Ned tell Boon to take Corrie back to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
2. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
3. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
4. How does Lucius show his maturation as a young adult in this chapter?
5. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
6. In what way has Sam showed his worth to the group?
7. How can Lightning win the race?
8. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
9. What differences does Chapter 11 show between Butch and the constable?
10. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the typical plot, character, and settings of the genre?
2) How has the genre developed over the years?
3) In general what thoughts and feeling does the southern Gothic novel express?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Faulkner's books have similar characters, themes, or settings? How has Faulkner's work matured over the years?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)