|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has joined the women at the hotel?
2. Who does the group presume has stolen Minnie's tooth?
3. What is Lightning's previous name?
4. Why did Boon attack Butch?
5. What does Lucius need the doctor to look at?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
2. What differences does Chapter 11 show between Butch and the constable?
3. How did the constable react to the fight between Butch and Boon?
4. How does Lucius show his maturation as a young adult in this chapter?
5. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
6. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
7. What is Ned's plan in Chapter 10?
8. How do the characters get the horse onto the train in Chapter 7?
9. What does Corrie's character symbolize about women during the early 1900s in southern America?
10. How does Chapter 9 express themes of deception and abuse of power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Faulkner use Memphis as his main setting? What affect does Memphis have on the characters' thoughts and actions? How would the story's meaning change if he used another setting such as Dallas? Would the characters act differently?
Essay Topic 2
The novel depicts the class system in early 20th-century America.
1) How and why was life changing for the working classes in early 20th-century America? How difficult was it for a member of the lower classes to make an impact on society?
2) What were the role of the upper classes in early 20th-century America? How much control did they have?
3) Do you think there is still a recognizable class system in America? In what ways has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)