|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Corrie give for crying?
2. What does Parsham take Lucius to do after dinner?
3. What does Butch ask Lycurgus to bring him?
4. Why does the policeman let the group pass?
5. Who does Miss Reba arrive with in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ned train the horse?
2. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
3. What does Corrie's character symbolize about women during the early 1900s in southern America?
4. What was Lightning form in previous races?
5. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
6. In what way does Boon show a lack of understanding for Corrie in Chapter 9?
7. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
8. What differences does Chapter 11 show between Butch and the constable?
9. In what way has Sam showed his worth to the group?
10. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Lucius and Ned. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think their relationship would have changed if they met again today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Faulkner's writing style. How long are his sentences and paragraphs? What kind of language does he use? What meaning and tone does his style give to the novel? What do you think his style says about him as a person?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was removed?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)