|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the other rider's name?
2. What is the name of the opposing horse?
3. Who does Ned plan to ask to ride the horse?
4. What does Ned ask Lucius for at the end of the chapter?
5. When does Lightning run faster?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
2. What is Ned's plan in Chapter 10?
3. What differences does Chapter 11 show between Butch and the constable?
4. How do the characters get the horse onto the train in Chapter 7?
5. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
6. How did the constable react to the fight between Butch and Boon?
7. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
8. In what way does Boon show a lack of understanding for Corrie in Chapter 9?
9. In what way does the content in this chapter show Lucius as still a child?
10. In what way has Sam showed his worth to the group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Faulkner's books have similar characters, themes, or settings? How has Faulkner's work matured over the years?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Lucius and Boon.
1) What is their relationship with their parents?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think Boon feels inferior to Lucius? How does this affect their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Faulkner use Memphis as his main setting? What affect does Memphis have on the characters' thoughts and actions? How would the story's meaning change if he used another setting such as Dallas? Would the characters act differently?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)