|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the constable's name?
2. What does Ned ask Lucius for at the end of the chapter?
3. What does Otis say he ran in Arkansas?
4. What reason does Corrie give for crying?
5. Who does Lucius ask to sleep with in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How can Lightning win the race?
2. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
3. Describe Otis.
4. How does Lucius show his maturation as a young adult in this chapter?
5. In what way has Sam showed his worth to the group?
6. In what way does the content in this chapter show Lucius as still a child?
7. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
8. Describe the character of Butch.
9. How does Chapter 9 express themes of deception and abuse of power?
10. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the following statement: Reivers is one of Faulkner's lesser works because it is written to entertain rather than to make an important statement. Using two examples from the book, argue for or against this statement.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Lucius and Boon.
1) What is their relationship with their parents?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think Boon feels inferior to Lucius? How does this affect their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was removed?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)