|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ned tell Boon to take Corrie back to?
2. Who sleeps with Lucius in the attic?
3. Who does Ned have with him?
4. Who has loaned Minnie's services to the hotel?
5. When does Lightning run faster?
Essay Topic 1
How do you think black men were emasculated during slavery? What affects do you think this had on black men when slavery was finally abolished? Do the students think these affects are still apparent today? How has black masculinity developed since the time of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Lucius and Ned. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think their relationship would have changed if they met again today?
Essay Topic 3
The Reivers is written in three parts. Examine the structure of the novel.
1) In what way does the first few chapters show the importance of a child's upbringing.
2) What themes are developed in the middle part of the novel?
3) Why do you think Grandfather stops Lucius' father from beating him at the end of the novel?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)