|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ned tell Boon to take Corrie back to?
2. How can Lucius tell the difference between a bordello and a normal house?
3. Who does Parsham say he will take Lucius to see in the morning?
4. Where does Ned say Otis is likely to end up?
5. What does Parsham teach Lucius to do in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ned's plan in Chapter 10?
2. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
3. In what way does the content in this chapter show Lucius as still a child?
4. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
5. Describe Otis.
6. Describe the character of Butch.
7. What was Lightning form in previous races?
8. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
9. How does Lucius show his maturation as a young adult in this chapter?
10. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference does dialect make in the novel? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work? When should a writer use dialect?
Essay Topic 2
The novel deals with the theme of racism. Do you think America has promoted racism at some points in its history? In what aspects of society do you think it has been promoted? Why do you think that was? How much do students think racism is ingrained into people? Can people stop being racist?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the following statement: Reivers is one of Faulkner's lesser works because it is written to entertain rather than to make an important statement. Using two examples from the book, argue for or against this statement.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)