|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Corrie sleep with Butch?
2. Which two characters are arrested in this chapter?
3. What does Corrie give the doctor instead of her handkerchief?
4. Who does the waiter say is waiting in the kitchen?
5. Who has loaned Minnie's services to the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
2. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
3. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
4. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
5. What is Ned's plan in Chapter 10?
6. How does Ned train the horse?
7. How did the constable react to the fight between Butch and Boon?
8. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
9. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
10. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Reivers is written in three parts. Examine the structure of the novel.
1) In what way does the first few chapters show the importance of a child's upbringing.
2) What themes are developed in the middle part of the novel?
3) Why do you think Grandfather stops Lucius' father from beating him at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner is a native of the southern states. Do you think it is better to write about what you know? What does a piece lack when it is written without a deep knowledge of the subject?
Essay Topic 3
The Reivers is written in the first person. Why do you think Faulkner chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)