|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the track's owner?
2. What is the constable's name?
3. Who escorts Corrie back to town?
4. Where does Lucius find Corrie crying?
5. What had happened to Mr. Poleymus' wife the previous year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the characters get the horse onto the train in Chapter 7?
2. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
3. What differences does Chapter 11 show between Butch and the constable?
4. Describe Otis.
5. What is Ned's plan in Chapter 10?
6. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
7. In what way does Boon show a lack of understanding for Corrie in Chapter 9?
8. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
9. In what way has Lucius matured since the beginning of the novel?
10. What was Lightning form in previous races?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Faulkner's writing style. How long are his sentences and paragraphs? What kind of language does he use? What meaning and tone does his style give to the novel? What do you think his style says about him as a person?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Faulkner use Memphis as his main setting? What affect does Memphis have on the characters' thoughts and actions? How would the story's meaning change if he used another setting such as Dallas? Would the characters act differently?
Essay Topic 3
What difference does dialect make in the novel? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work? When should a writer use dialect?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)