|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the track's owner?
2. Who escorts Corrie back to town?
3. Who does Boon yell for Lucius to go and see?
4. What uniform is Minnie dressed in in this chapter?
5. What two characters arrive when Lucius wakes up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
2. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
3. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
4. What was Lightning form in previous races?
5. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
6. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
7. How can Lightning win the race?
8. Describe Otis.
9. What does Corrie's character symbolize about women during the early 1900s in southern America?
10. What does Ned think Otis will do in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Faulkner use Memphis as his main setting? What affect does Memphis have on the characters' thoughts and actions? How would the story's meaning change if he used another setting such as Dallas? Would the characters act differently?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner is a native of the area he writes about and adheres to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Faulkner was a native of Mississippi? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there moments when you think Faulkner does not portray a character or setting well? What affect does it have on the story?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)