|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sam go to fetch a lawyer?
2. What strange word does Otis introduce to Lucius in this chapter?
3. Who does Parsham say he will take Lucius to see in the morning?
4. Where does Ned say Otis is likely to end up?
5. What has Ned named the horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Butch.
2. In what way does Boon show a lack of understanding for Corrie in Chapter 9?
3. In what way does the content in this chapter show Lucius as still a child?
4. What was Lightning form in previous races?
5. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
6. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
7. What differences does Chapter 11 show between Butch and the constable?
8. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
9. How did the constable react to the fight between Butch and Boon?
10. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
Essay Topic 2
The Reivers is written in the first person. Why do you think Faulkner chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Lucius and Boon.
1) What is their relationship with their parents?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think Boon feels inferior to Lucius? How does this affect their relationship.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)