|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lucius ask to sleep with in this chapter?
2. What does the woman at the doctor's office announce Corrie and Lucius as?
3. What does Butch call Boon?
4. Who does the group presume has stolen Minnie's tooth?
5. What is Lightning's previous name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
2. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
3. Describe the character of Butch.
4. How do the characters get the horse onto the train in Chapter 7?
5. What differences does Chapter 11 show between Butch and the constable?
6. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
7. How does Ned train the horse?
8. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
9. In what way does Boon show a lack of understanding for Corrie in Chapter 9?
10. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the story do the students think are not so reliable and why? How different would the story be from another character's point of view? Would the story have different themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Lucius and Ned. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think their relationship would have changed if they met again today?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)