|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Butch assume Ned cannot do?
2. What color shirt does Uncle Parsham wear?
3. What does the woman at the doctor's office announce Corrie and Lucius as?
4. What is the constable's name?
5. What has Ned named the horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
2. How do the characters get the horse onto the train in Chapter 7?
3. What does Ned think Otis will do in Chapter 9?
4. What does Corrie's character symbolize about women during the early 1900s in southern America?
5. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
6. What was Lightning form in previous races?
7. How can Lightning win the race?
8. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
9. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
10. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the following statement: Reivers is one of Faulkner's lesser works because it is written to entertain rather than to make an important statement. Using two examples from the book, argue for or against this statement.
Essay Topic 2
What difference does dialect make in the novel? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work? When should a writer use dialect?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Lucius and Ned. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think their relationship would have changed if they met again today?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)