|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Corrie give for crying?
2. Who does Miss Reba arrive with in this chapter?
3. What time does a train leave for Jefferson?
4. How can Lucius tell the difference between a bordello and a normal house?
5. How much does Otis demand for riding the horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ned's plan in Chapter 10?
2. How do the characters get the horse onto the train in Chapter 7?
3. How does Ned train the horse?
4. How did the constable react to the fight between Butch and Boon?
5. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
6. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
7. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
8. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
9. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
10. Describe Otis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner is a native of the southern states. Do you think it is better to write about what you know? What does a piece lack when it is written without a deep knowledge of the subject?
Essay Topic 2
Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the story do the students think are not so reliable and why? How different would the story be from another character's point of view? Would the story have different themes?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)