|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Ned named the horse?
2. What is the constable's name?
3. What two characters arrive when Lucius wakes up?
4. What strange word does Otis introduce to Lucius in this chapter?
5. Why did Corrie sleep with Butch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
2. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
3. In what way does Boon show a lack of understanding for Corrie in Chapter 9?
4. How do the characters get the horse onto the train in Chapter 7?
5. How can Lightning win the race?
6. What differences does Chapter 11 show between Butch and the constable?
7. How did the constable react to the fight between Butch and Boon?
8. What does Corrie's character symbolize about women during the early 1900s in southern America?
9. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
10. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the following statement: Reivers is one of Faulkner's lesser works because it is written to entertain rather than to make an important statement. Using two examples from the book, argue for or against this statement.
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Faulkner's books have similar characters, themes, or settings? How has Faulkner's work matured over the years?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)