|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the waiter say is waiting in the kitchen?
2. What uniform is Minnie dressed in in this chapter?
3. Where does Lucius find Corrie crying?
4. What reason does Corrie give for not servicing Boon's sexual needs?
5. Who does Ned wait for to clean his clothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
2. How does Lucius show his maturation as a young adult in this chapter?
3. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
4. What does Ned think Otis will do in Chapter 9?
5. How can Lightning win the race?
6. How does Chapter 9 express themes of deception and abuse of power?
7. Describe Otis.
8. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
9. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
10. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the story do the students think are not so reliable and why? How different would the story be from another character's point of view? Would the story have different themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the typical plot, character, and settings of the genre?
2) How has the genre developed over the years?
3) In general what thoughts and feeling does the southern Gothic novel express?
Essay Topic 3
The Reivers is written in the first person. Why do you think Faulkner chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)