|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color shirt does Uncle Parsham wear?
2. Who has joined the women at the hotel?
3. What is Miss Corrie's real name?
4. What does Otis say he ran in Arkansas?
5. What is the name of the track's owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lucius show his maturation as a young adult in this chapter?
2. How can Lightning win the race?
3. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
4. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
5. How did the constable react to the fight between Butch and Boon?
6. What does Ned think Otis will do in Chapter 9?
7. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
8. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
9. Describe Otis.
10. In what way does Boon show a lack of understanding for Corrie in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel depicts the class system in early 20th-century America.
1) How and why was life changing for the working classes in early 20th-century America? How difficult was it for a member of the lower classes to make an impact on society?
2) What were the role of the upper classes in early 20th-century America? How much control did they have?
3) Do you think there is still a recognizable class system in America? In what ways has it changed?
Essay Topic 2
The Reivers is written in the first person. Why do you think Faulkner chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)