|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did Otis charge children to watch Miss Corrie?
2. Which race does Ned tell Lucius he has to lose?
3. What does Corrie give the doctor instead of her handkerchief?
4. What reason does Corrie give for crying?
5. What has been stolen from Minnie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ned think Otis will do in Chapter 9?
2. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
3. Describe Otis.
4. How does Lucius show his maturation as a young adult in this chapter?
5. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
6. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
7. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
8. How does Ned train the horse?
9. How can Lightning win the race?
10. What differences does Chapter 11 show between Butch and the constable?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William Faulkner is a American writer responsible for some of the greatest American novels of the 20th century. Examine Faulkner's life. What kind of upbringing did he have? What kind of education? What were the major themes of his work? Why do you think Faulkner's novels were so relevant in the mid-20th century and continue to be relevant today?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner is a native of the southern states. Do you think it is better to write about what you know? What does a piece lack when it is written without a deep knowledge of the subject?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner is a native of the area he writes about and adheres to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Faulkner was a native of Mississippi? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there moments when you think Faulkner does not portray a character or setting well? What affect does it have on the story?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)