|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has joined the women at the hotel?
2. Where does Sam go to fetch a lawyer?
3. What does Butch ask Lycurgus to bring him?
4. What does Boon complain about that Corrie is not doing in this chapter?
5. Who does the waiter say is waiting in the kitchen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Butch.
2. How did the constable react to the fight between Butch and Boon?
3. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
4. What is Ned's plan in Chapter 10?
5. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
6. How does Chapter 9 express themes of deception and abuse of power?
7. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
8. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
9. In what way does Boon show a lack of understanding for Corrie in Chapter 9?
10. How do the characters get the horse onto the train in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the typical plot, character, and settings of the genre?
2) How has the genre developed over the years?
3) In general what thoughts and feeling does the southern Gothic novel express?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Faulkner's writing style. How long are his sentences and paragraphs? What kind of language does he use? What meaning and tone does his style give to the novel? What do you think his style says about him as a person?
Essay Topic 3
The Reivers is written in three parts. Examine the structure of the novel.
1) In what way does the first few chapters show the importance of a child's upbringing.
2) What themes are developed in the middle part of the novel?
3) Why do you think Grandfather stops Lucius' father from beating him at the end of the novel?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)