|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ned tell Boon to take Corrie back to?
2. What do Sam and Boon use to force the car forward?
3. What time does a train leave for Jefferson?
4. Who does Miss Reba arrive with in this chapter?
5. What does the woman at the doctor's office announce Corrie and Lucius as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ned's plan in Chapter 10?
2. What does Ned think Otis will do in Chapter 9?
3. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
4. How did the constable react to the fight between Butch and Boon?
5. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
6. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
7. Why does Ned question the officer for his arrest?
8. How do the characters get the horse onto the train in Chapter 7?
9. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
10. In what way has Sam showed his worth to the group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel depicts the class system in early 20th-century America.
1) How and why was life changing for the working classes in early 20th-century America? How difficult was it for a member of the lower classes to make an impact on society?
2) What were the role of the upper classes in early 20th-century America? How much control did they have?
3) Do you think there is still a recognizable class system in America? In what ways has it changed?
Essay Topic 2
What difference does dialect make in the novel? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work? When should a writer use dialect?
Essay Topic 3
How do you think black men were emasculated during slavery? What affects do you think this had on black men when slavery was finally abolished? Do the students think these affects are still apparent today? How has black masculinity developed since the time of the novel?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)