|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lucius find Corrie crying?
2. What is Miss Corrie's real name?
3. What does Butch call Boon?
4. What strange word does Otis introduce to Lucius in this chapter?
5. What name does Corrie say she will now use in her new life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Butch.
2. What is Ned's plan in Chapter 10?
3. Describe Otis.
4. In what way does the content in this chapter show Lucius as still a child?
5. How does Chapter 9 express themes of deception and abuse of power?
6. How does Ned train the horse?
7. What does Corrie's character symbolize about women during the early 1900s in southern America?
8. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
9. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
10. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel deals with the theme of racism. Do you think America has promoted racism at some points in its history? In what aspects of society do you think it has been promoted? Why do you think that was? How much do students think racism is ingrained into people? Can people stop being racist?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner is a native of the area he writes about and adheres to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Faulkner was a native of Mississippi? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there moments when you think Faulkner does not portray a character or setting well? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was removed?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)