|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lucius and Ned use to travel to the pasture?
2. What uniform is Minnie dressed in in this chapter?
3. What does Butch assume Ned cannot do?
4. What two characters arrive when Lucius wakes up?
5. Who does Boon yell for Lucius to go and see?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Otis and his aunt extort Miss Corrie?
2. What does Corrie's character symbolize about women during the early 1900s in southern America?
3. How does Ned train the horse?
4. In what way has Lucius matured since the beginning of the novel?
5. How do the characters get the horse onto the train in Chapter 7?
6. Describe what has happened between Butch, Boon, and Everbe.
7. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
8. What does Ned think Otis will do in Chapter 9?
9. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
10. Describe the character of Butch.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel deals with the theme of racism. Do you think America has promoted racism at some points in its history? In what aspects of society do you think it has been promoted? Why do you think that was? How much do students think racism is ingrained into people? Can people stop being racist?
Essay Topic 2
What difference does dialect make in the novel? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work? When should a writer use dialect?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Faulkner's writing style. How long are his sentences and paragraphs? What kind of language does he use? What meaning and tone does his style give to the novel? What do you think his style says about him as a person?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)