|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ned plan to take the horse?
2. To whom do Boon and Lucius go to for dinner?
3. Where does Boon say the road stops being clear?
4. What color hair does Miss Reba have?
5. How much does father ask the sheriff to bond the two men?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Binford abuse the women in his charge?
2. What does Lucius learn about Binford?
3. What does the conversation in Chapter 4 between Boon and Lucius show about both characters?
4. Why does Boon want to kill Ludus?
5. What are the elements of virtue and non-virtue that are shown in this chapter?
6. Why did Grandfather purchase an automobile?
7. How does Miss Reba think Sam can assist them?
8. Describe Boon's character.
9. What does the Iron Bridge symbolize?
10. How does the final scene in Chapter 4 express the theme of racism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Reivers is written in the first person. Why do you think Faulkner chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Faulkner's writing style. How long are his sentences and paragraphs? What kind of language does he use? What meaning and tone does his style give to the novel? What do you think his style says about him as a person?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Lucius and Ned. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think their relationship would have changed if they met again today?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)