|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Boon ask to travel with him?
2. What is Ballenbaugh's?
3. Where does John keep his pistol?
4. How does Ned want to win back the vehicle?
5. When is Mr. Ballot supposed to open the garage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Grandfather purchase an automobile?
2. In what way does Binford abuse the women in his charge?
3. Why is Lucius so horrified that Boon has changed clothes?
4. What is the unspoken agreement between Father and John?
5. Describe what Lucius sees along the path.
6. What does the conversation in Chapter 4 between Boon and Lucius show about both characters?
7. What themes does Chapter 3 introduce?
8. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
9. How is Ned going to win back the automobile?
10. How does Miss Reba think Sam can assist them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner is a native of the southern states. Do you think it is better to write about what you know? What does a piece lack when it is written without a deep knowledge of the subject?
Essay Topic 3
The Reivers is written in the first person. Why do you think Faulkner chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)