Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucius joining his cousin Ike to do?
2. How does Ned want to win back the vehicle?
3. In what drawer in his desk does father keep his pistol?
4. How much does father ask the sheriff to bond the two men?
5. What color shirt is Ned wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story Ned tells Grandfather?
2. How does Chapter 9 express themes of deception and abuse of power?
3. How does Ned train the horse?
4. Describe Ballenbaugh's.
5. How does the final scene in Chapter 4 express the theme of racism?
6. What is the plan to get the horse on the train?
7. What are the elements of virtue and non-virtue that are shown in this chapter?
8. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
9. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
10. How does beginning of Chapter 5 describe the transition between Mississippi and Tennessee?
How do you think black men were emasculated during slavery? What affects do you think this had on black men when slavery was finally abolished? Do the students think these affects are still apparent today? How has black masculinity developed since the time of the novel?
Faulkner is a native of the area he writes about and adheres to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Faulkner was a native of Mississippi? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there moments when you think Faulkner does not portray a character or setting well? What affect does it have on the story?
Why does Faulkner use Memphis as his main setting? What affect does Memphis have on the characters' thoughts and actions? How would the story's meaning change if he used another setting such as Dallas? Would the characters act differently?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)