|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucius say happened to the car?
2. How much does Boon try to pay the man?
3. Who is hiding under the tarp?
4. What is the name of the bridge they pass over in this chapter?
5. Who is responsible for the stem power plant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Iron Bridge symbolize?
2. Describe what Lucius sees along the path.
3. How does beginning of Chapter 5 describe the transition between Mississippi and Tennessee?
4. What are the elements of virtue and non-virtue that are shown in this chapter?
5. What is the unspoken agreement between Father and John?
6. Why does Boon want to kill Ludus?
7. In what ways can Maury be seen as a positive character?
8. Why is Lucius so horrified that Boon has changed clothes?
9. In what way does Binford abuse the women in his charge?
10. How is Ned going to win back the automobile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel deals with the theme of racism. Do you think America has promoted racism at some points in its history? In what aspects of society do you think it has been promoted? Why do you think that was? How much do students think racism is ingrained into people? Can people stop being racist?
Essay Topic 2
The Reivers is written in the first person. Why do you think Faulkner chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner is a native of the southern states. Do you think it is better to write about what you know? What does a piece lack when it is written without a deep knowledge of the subject?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)