|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Lucius in the story?
2. What did the family develop in the car to protect them?
3. For how long does Lucius think the car can travel?
4. What year did Hightower come to Ballenbaugh's?
5. What is Ludus' standard weekly pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What themes does Chapter 3 introduce?
2. What is the unspoken agreement between Father and John?
3. What lies does Lucius tell in Chapter 3?
4. How does Boon persuade Lucius to join him in his plan?
5. What does the ploughman's extortion of Boon express?
6. Why do they have to make the 23 train in Chapter 3?
7. Why did Grandfather purchase an automobile?
8. In what way does Binford abuse the women in his charge?
9. What does Lucius learn about Binford?
10. Why is Lucius so horrified that Boon has changed clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner is a native of the southern states. Do you think it is better to write about what you know? What does a piece lack when it is written without a deep knowledge of the subject?
Essay Topic 2
The Reivers is written in the first person. Why do you think Faulkner chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
The novel depicts the class system in early 20th-century America.
1) How and why was life changing for the working classes in early 20th-century America? How difficult was it for a member of the lower classes to make an impact on society?
2) What were the role of the upper classes in early 20th-century America? How much control did they have?
3) Do you think there is still a recognizable class system in America? In what ways has it changed?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)