|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucius joining his cousin Ike to do?
2. How does Ned want to win back the vehicle?
3. In what drawer in his desk does father keep his pistol?
4. How much does father ask the sheriff to bond the two men?
5. What color shirt is Ned wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story Ned tells Grandfather?
2. How does Chapter 9 express themes of deception and abuse of power?
3. How does Ned train the horse?
4. Describe Ballenbaugh's.
5. How does the final scene in Chapter 4 express the theme of racism?
6. What is the plan to get the horse on the train?
7. What are the elements of virtue and non-virtue that are shown in this chapter?
8. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
9. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
10. How does beginning of Chapter 5 describe the transition between Mississippi and Tennessee?
Essay Topic 1
Faulkner is a native of the southern states. Do you think it is better to write about what you know? What does a piece lack when it is written without a deep knowledge of the subject?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Faulkner's books have similar characters, themes, or settings? How has Faulkner's work matured over the years?
Essay Topic 3
The Reivers is written in the first person. Why do you think Faulkner chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 1,927 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)