|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John keep his pistol?
2. What does Ned trade the automobile for?
3. How far does Ludus' girlfriend live from town?
4. What is Ludus' excuse for not returning with the team?
5. Where does Ned plan to take the horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Iron Bridge symbolize?
2. Why do they have to make the 23 train in Chapter 3?
3. What themes does Chapter 3 introduce?
4. How is Ned going to win back the automobile?
5. How does beginning of Chapter 5 describe the transition between Mississippi and Tennessee?
6. Why does Boon want to kill Ludus?
7. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
8. Why can Boon not lock the automobile in the garage?
9. How does the ploughman persuade Boon to pay him more money?
10. Why did Grandfather purchase an automobile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel deals with the theme of racism. Do you think America has promoted racism at some points in its history? In what aspects of society do you think it has been promoted? Why do you think that was? How much do students think racism is ingrained into people? Can people stop being racist?
Essay Topic 2
The novel depicts the class system in early 20th-century America.
1) How and why was life changing for the working classes in early 20th-century America? How difficult was it for a member of the lower classes to make an impact on society?
2) What were the role of the upper classes in early 20th-century America? How much control did they have?
3) Do you think there is still a recognizable class system in America? In what ways has it changed?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Lucius and Ned. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think their relationship would have changed if they met again today?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)