|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the men drive to in this chapter?
2. What is Boon supposed to do with the car when he returns from town?
3. What does Boon press against the axle to get the car out of the hole?
4. Where does John keep his pistol?
5. Where does Lucius meet Boon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the final scene in Chapter 4 express the theme of racism?
2. What does the Iron Bridge symbolize?
3. In what ways can Maury be seen as a positive character?
4. Describe what Lucius sees along the path.
5. Why did Grandfather purchase an automobile?
6. What plot elements does this chapter introduce?
7. How does the ploughman persuade Boon to pay him more money?
8. What lies does Lucius tell in Chapter 3?
9. Why do they have to make the 23 train in Chapter 3?
10. How does Grandfather's purchase of the automobile show him to be a proud man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
William Faulkner is a American writer responsible for some of the greatest American novels of the 20th century. Examine Faulkner's life. What kind of upbringing did he have? What kind of education? What were the major themes of his work? Why do you think Faulkner's novels were so relevant in the mid-20th century and continue to be relevant today?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was removed?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)