|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boon give Lucius to look after?
2. How long does Grandfather say it will take until the road will be impassible by an automobile?
3. How old is Lucius in the story?
4. What does the vehicle get stuck in?
5. How much does father ask the sheriff to bond the two men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucius learn about Binford?
2. Describe Ballenbaugh's.
3. What does Lucius feel after he has driven the vehicle?
4. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
5. What are the elements of virtue and non-virtue that are shown in this chapter?
6. Why does Ned feel so at ease with the prostitutes?
7. Why do they have to make the 23 train in Chapter 3?
8. Describe what Lucius sees along the path.
9. Why is Lucius so horrified that Boon has changed clothes?
10. In what ways can Maury be seen as a positive character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the following statement: Reivers is one of Faulkner's lesser works because it is written to entertain rather than to make an important statement. Using two examples from the book, argue for or against this statement.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the typical plot, character, and settings of the genre?
2) How has the genre developed over the years?
3) In general what thoughts and feeling does the southern Gothic novel express?
Essay Topic 3
Faulkner is a native of the area he writes about and adheres to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Faulkner was a native of Mississippi? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there moments when you think Faulkner does not portray a character or setting well? What affect does it have on the story?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)