|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Ludus suspended for?
2. Which city does Boon not mention?
3. What is the name of the young woman who meets them at the door?
4. Who did Grandfather give the garage key to?
5. What number train does the family have to catch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unspoken agreement between Father and John?
2. What are the elements of virtue and non-virtue that are shown in this chapter?
3. What does Lucius feel after he has driven the vehicle?
4. Describe Ballenbaugh's.
5. What does the conversation in Chapter 4 between Boon and Lucius show about both characters?
6. Why does Boon want to kill Ludus?
7. Describe Boon's character.
8. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
9. What does the Iron Bridge symbolize?
10. Why does Ned feel so at ease with the prostitutes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the typical plot, character, and settings of the genre?
2) How has the genre developed over the years?
3) In general what thoughts and feeling does the southern Gothic novel express?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the following statement: Reivers is one of Faulkner's lesser works because it is written to entertain rather than to make an important statement. Using two examples from the book, argue for or against this statement.
Essay Topic 3
William Faulkner is a American writer responsible for some of the greatest American novels of the 20th century. Examine Faulkner's life. What kind of upbringing did he have? What kind of education? What were the major themes of his work? Why do you think Faulkner's novels were so relevant in the mid-20th century and continue to be relevant today?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)