|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Boon press against the axle to get the car out of the hole?
2. How many times does Boon try to shoot Ludus?
3. What is Ludus' excuse for not returning with the team?
4. Where does Ned plan to take the horse?
5. Which room are Lucius and Boon staying in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chapter 12 show the effects of sexual desire on an individual?
2. Why is Lucius so horrified that Boon has changed clothes?
3. What does Lucius learn during the novel?
4. How is Ned going to win back the automobile?
5. In what way does the content in this chapter show Lucius as still a child?
6. How did the constable react to the fight between Butch and Boon?
7. What does the fact Boon and Everbe name their child after Lucius symbolize?
8. Describe the story Ned tells Grandfather?
9. How does Miss Reba think Sam can assist them?
10. Describe what Lucius sees along the path.
Essay Topic 1
What difference does dialect make in the novel? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work? When should a writer use dialect?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the typical plot, character, and settings of the genre?
2) How has the genre developed over the years?
3) In general what thoughts and feeling does the southern Gothic novel express?
Essay Topic 3
The novel deals with the theme of racism. Do you think America has promoted racism at some points in its history? In what aspects of society do you think it has been promoted? Why do you think that was? How much do students think racism is ingrained into people? Can people stop being racist?
This section contains 1,732 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)