|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Miss Reba ask Miss Corrie to ring?
2. Which of the following was the wagon not loaded with?
3. What time of day does Ned promise to return?
4. How much does Boon have to pay the young lady's father?
5. Whose staff did Boon join at the hunting camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
2. What plot elements does this chapter introduce?
3. What does the conversation in Chapter 4 between Boon and Lucius show about both characters?
4. Why is Lucius so horrified that Boon has changed clothes?
5. What does Lucius learn during the novel?
6. Why did Grandfather purchase an automobile?
7. How does Grandfather's purchase of the automobile show him to be a proud man?
8. What does Lucius feel after he has driven the vehicle?
9. Summarize the novel.
10. What does the Iron Bridge symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between Lucius and Ned. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think their relationship would have changed if they met again today?
Essay Topic 2
The novel covers the taboo subject of prostitution. Do you think prostitution is a major problem in other countries? Which countries do the students think manage to deal with prostitution better? In what way is it better?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Faulkner use Memphis as his main setting? What affect does Memphis have on the characters' thoughts and actions? How would the story's meaning change if he used another setting such as Dallas? Would the characters act differently?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)