|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does the group reach Hell Creek?
2. What time of day does Ned promise to return?
3. Who does not want children in the house?
4. What does Ned have a special talent for?
5. What do the three men do once they pass Hell Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plot elements does this chapter introduce?
2. How did Ned return Minnie's tooth?
3. How does Lucius show his maturation as a young adult in this chapter?
4. What was Lightning form in previous races?
5. In what way does the appearance of Grandfather give the story a sense of dread?
6. Describe Boon's character.
7. What are the elements of virtue and non-virtue that are shown in this chapter?
8. Describe Otis.
9. Why is Lucius so horrified that Boon has changed clothes?
10. In what ways can Maury be seen as a positive character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Faulkner's books have similar characters, themes, or settings? How has Faulkner's work matured over the years?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner is a native of the area he writes about and adheres to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Faulkner was a native of Mississippi? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there moments when you think Faulkner does not portray a character or setting well? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Faulkner use Memphis as his main setting? What affect does Memphis have on the characters' thoughts and actions? How would the story's meaning change if he used another setting such as Dallas? Would the characters act differently?
This section contains 1,645 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)