|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color shirt is Ned wearing?
2. How much does Boon offer father?
3. What is Ludus' excuse for not returning with the team?
4. What is the doctor's surname?
5. What is Boon supposed to do with the car when he returns from town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize the novel.
2. Describe what Lucius sees along the path.
3. What does Lucius feel after he has driven the vehicle?
4. How does the ploughman persuade Boon to pay him more money?
5. What does Lucius learn during the novel?
6. What does Lucius learn about Binford?
7. In what ways can Maury be seen as a positive character?
8. Describe Ballenbaugh's.
9. How does Grandfather's purchase of the automobile show him to be a proud man?
10. How does beginning of Chapter 5 describe the transition between Mississippi and Tennessee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the typical plot, character, and settings of the genre?
2) How has the genre developed over the years?
3) In general what thoughts and feeling does the southern Gothic novel express?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the following statement: Reivers is one of Faulkner's lesser works because it is written to entertain rather than to make an important statement. Using two examples from the book, argue for or against this statement.
Essay Topic 3
What difference does dialect make in the novel? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work? When should a writer use dialect?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)