|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucius joining his cousin Ike to do?
2. What part of Miss Corrie's body does Boon grab?
3. How much does Boon offer father?
4. How does Lucius make manners to Miss Reba?
5. How many mules does the man with the plow have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Butch.
2. How does Boon persuade Lucius to join him in his plan?
3. In what way does Boon show a lack of understanding for Corrie in Chapter 9?
4. How is Ned going to win back the automobile?
5. What was Lightning form in previous races?
6. What differences does Chapter 11 show between Butch and the constable?
7. How does the ploughman persuade Boon to pay him more money?
8. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
9. Why does Ned feel so at ease with the prostitutes?
10. What is the unspoken agreement between Father and John?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Faulkner use Memphis as his main setting? What affect does Memphis have on the characters' thoughts and actions? How would the story's meaning change if he used another setting such as Dallas? Would the characters act differently?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Lucius and Boon.
1) What is their relationship with their parents?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think Boon feels inferior to Lucius? How does this affect their relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Lucius and Ned. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think their relationship would have changed if they met again today?
This section contains 1,619 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)