|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John keep his pistol?
2. What was the hotel called where Boon stayed?
3. How many vehicles does Miss Ballenbaugh say has passed her house in the last two years?
4. How many mules does the man with the plow have?
5. Who runs Ballenbaugh's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucius learn about Binford?
2. What does the conversation in Chapter 4 between Boon and Lucius show about both characters?
3. How does Boon persuade Lucius to join him in his plan?
4. What does Lucius learn during the novel?
5. How does Grandfather's purchase of the automobile show him to be a proud man?
6. What is the unspoken agreement between Father and John?
7. Why do they have to make the 23 train in Chapter 3?
8. What themes does Chapter 3 introduce?
9. How is Ned going to win back the automobile?
10. In what ways can Maury be seen as a positive character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think black men were emasculated during slavery? What affects do you think this had on black men when slavery was finally abolished? Do the students think these affects are still apparent today? How has black masculinity developed since the time of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The Reivers is written in the first person. Why do you think Faulkner chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Faulkner's books have similar characters, themes, or settings? How has Faulkner's work matured over the years?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)