|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucius say that he and Boon still have to get?
2. How much does Boon have to pay the young lady's father?
3. Who does Miss Reba ask Miss Corrie to ring?
4. What was the hotel called where Boon stayed?
5. In what drawer in his desk does father keep his pistol?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ned going to win back the automobile?
2. What does Lucius learn during the novel?
3. What does Lucius feel after he has driven the vehicle?
4. Why does Ned feel so at ease with the prostitutes?
5. Describe Ballenbaugh's.
6. What does the ploughman's extortion of Boon express?
7. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
8. How does the ploughman persuade Boon to pay him more money?
9. Why do they have to make the 23 train in Chapter 3?
10. What does the Iron Bridge symbolize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel covers the taboo subject of prostitution. Do you think prostitution is a major problem in other countries? Which countries do the students think manage to deal with prostitution better? In what way is it better?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was removed?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)