|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was the wagon not loaded with?
2. In what drawer in his desk does father keep his pistol?
3. What does Ned have a special talent for?
4. What is the name of the bridge they pass over in this chapter?
5. How old is Lucius in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Binford abuse the women in his charge?
2. What lies does Lucius tell in Chapter 3?
3. What does Lucius learn about Binford?
4. What does Lucius learn during the novel?
5. What does the ploughman's extortion of Boon express?
6. How does Miss Reba think Sam can assist them?
7. Why is Lucius so horrified that Boon has changed clothes?
8. Describe Boon's character.
9. Describe what Lucius sees along the path.
10. Why can Boon not lock the automobile in the garage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think Faulkner's books have similar characters, themes, or settings? How has Faulkner's work matured over the years?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the typical plot, character, and settings of the genre?
2) How has the genre developed over the years?
3) In general what thoughts and feeling does the southern Gothic novel express?
Essay Topic 3
Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the story do the students think are not so reliable and why? How different would the story be from another character's point of view? Would the story have different themes?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)