|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Miss Reba ask Miss Corrie to ring?
2. How much does Boon offer father?
3. What does Boon have to buy the young lady?
4. What does Boon say he needs on the way back from the station?
5. At what time does the group reach Hell Creek?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lucius feel after he has driven the vehicle?
2. Why do they have to make the 23 train in Chapter 3?
3. What themes does Chapter 3 introduce?
4. Describe Boon's character.
5. What does Lucius learn about Binford?
6. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
7. Why does Ned feel so at ease with the prostitutes?
8. Describe Ballenbaugh's.
9. Describe what Lucius sees along the path.
10. Why did Grandfather purchase an automobile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Faulkner's writing style. How long are his sentences and paragraphs? What kind of language does he use? What meaning and tone does his style give to the novel? What do you think his style says about him as a person?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between Lucius and Ned. Do you think they are more friends than master and servant? What does that say about the changing racial attitudes in south at that time? How different do you think their relationship would have changed if they met again today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the typical plot, character, and settings of the genre?
2) How has the genre developed over the years?
3) In general what thoughts and feeling does the southern Gothic novel express?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)