|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time of day does Ned promise to return?
2. What does Boon suggest he and Lucius do to alleviate suspicion?
3. What do the three men do once they pass Hell Creek?
4. Who does Boon say created the bog?
5. With what have the holes in the path been filled?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ned feel so at ease with the prostitutes?
2. In what way does Boon show a lack of understanding for Corrie in Chapter 9?
3. Why did Grandfather purchase an automobile?
4. What does the ploughman's extortion of Boon express?
5. What was Lightning form in previous races?
6. What lies does Lucius tell in Chapter 3?
7. How did the constable react to the fight between Butch and Boon?
8. In what way does the content in this chapter show Lucius as still a child?
9. In what way does Chapter 8 show the immense pride of the novel's black characters?
10. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing plays a big part in the novel. What is foreshadowing? How does Faulkner use foreshadowing in the novel? What affect does it have on the novel's meaning?
Essay Topic 2
Faulkner is a native of the area he writes about and adheres to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that Faulkner was a native of Mississippi? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there moments when you think Faulkner does not portray a character or setting well? What affect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
What difference does dialect make in the novel? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work? When should a writer use dialect?
This section contains 1,659 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)