|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the plow man do when people get stuck in the mud?
2. When is Mr. Ballot supposed to open the garage?
3. Which two characters will walk behind Sam and Boon?
4. What is Sam's job at the railway?
5. What does the vehicle get stuck in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do they have to make the 23 train in Chapter 3?
2. How does the ploughman persuade Boon to pay him more money?
3. What is the unspoken agreement between Father and John?
4. What are the elements of virtue and non-virtue that are shown in this chapter?
5. What does the conversation in Chapter 4 between Boon and Lucius show about both characters?
6. How does Miss Reba think Sam can assist them?
7. Summarize the novel.
8. How does Boon persuade Lucius to join him in his plan?
9. Why can Boon not lock the automobile in the garage?
10. What does Lucius learn during the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the students think first person point of view is not necessarily reliable? What moments in the story do the students think are not so reliable and why? How different would the story be from another character's point of view? Would the story have different themes?
Essay Topic 2
The Reivers is written in three parts. Examine the structure of the novel.
1) In what way does the first few chapters show the importance of a child's upbringing.
2) What themes are developed in the middle part of the novel?
3) Why do you think Grandfather stops Lucius' father from beating him at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Lucius and Boon.
1) What is their relationship with their parents?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Do you think Boon feels inferior to Lucius? How does this affect their relationship.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)