Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucius joining his cousin Ike to do?
2. How does Ned want to win back the vehicle?
3. In what drawer in his desk does father keep his pistol?
4. How much does father ask the sheriff to bond the two men?
5. What color shirt is Ned wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story Ned tells Grandfather?
2. How does Chapter 9 express themes of deception and abuse of power?
3. How does Ned train the horse?
4. Describe Ballenbaugh's.
5. How does the final scene in Chapter 4 express the theme of racism?
6. What is the plan to get the horse on the train?
7. What are the elements of virtue and non-virtue that are shown in this chapter?
8. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
9. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
10. How does beginning of Chapter 5 describe the transition between Mississippi and Tennessee?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was removed?
Essay Topic 2
The novel covers the taboo subject of prostitution. Do you think prostitution is a major problem in other countries? Which countries do the students think manage to deal with prostitution better? In what way is it better?
Essay Topic 3
The novel depicts the class system in early 20th-century America.
1) How and why was life changing for the working classes in early 20th-century America? How difficult was it for a member of the lower classes to make an impact on society?
2) What were the role of the upper classes in early 20th-century America? How much control did they have?
3) Do you think there is still a recognizable class system in America? In what ways has it changed?
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)