|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lucius joining his cousin Ike to do?
2. How does Ned want to win back the vehicle?
3. In what drawer in his desk does father keep his pistol?
4. How much does father ask the sheriff to bond the two men?
5. What color shirt is Ned wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story Ned tells Grandfather?
2. How does Chapter 9 express themes of deception and abuse of power?
3. How does Ned train the horse?
4. Describe Ballenbaugh's.
5. How does the final scene in Chapter 4 express the theme of racism?
6. What is the plan to get the horse on the train?
7. What are the elements of virtue and non-virtue that are shown in this chapter?
8. Describe Boon's situation as a retainer.
9. What information does Lycurgus give Lucius in Chapter 11?
10. How does beginning of Chapter 5 describe the transition between Mississippi and Tennessee?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters from the novel.
1) What is the character's background.
2) What is the character's motivation and goals?
3) What do you think the character adds to the story? How would the story change if the character was removed?
Essay Topic 2
The novel deals with the theme of racism. Do you think America has promoted racism at some points in its history? In what aspects of society do you think it has been promoted? Why do you think that was? How much do students think racism is ingrained into people? Can people stop being racist?
Essay Topic 3
The Reivers is written in the first person. Why do you think Faulkner chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it was written in the third person?
This section contains 1,927 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)