|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters will walk behind Sam and Boon?
2. What reason does Boon give for Memphis being quiet?
3. Who runs Ballenbaugh's?
4. What does the vehicle get stuck in?
5. What is Ludus' excuse for not returning with the team?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Boon not lock the automobile in the garage?
2. What does the ploughman's extortion of Boon express?
3. What does the Iron Bridge symbolize?
4. What does Lucius learn about Binford?
5. How does Grandfather's purchase of the automobile show him to be a proud man?
6. How does Miss Reba think Sam can assist them?
7. What does the conversation in Chapter 4 between Boon and Lucius show about both characters?
8. How is Ned going to win back the automobile?
9. Describe Boon's character.
10. Why did Grandfather purchase an automobile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel covers the taboo subject of prostitution. Do you think prostitution is a major problem in other countries? Which countries do the students think manage to deal with prostitution better? In what way is it better?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Faulkner's books have similar characters, themes, or settings? How has Faulkner's work matured over the years?
Essay Topic 3
What difference does dialect make in the novel? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work? When should a writer use dialect?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)