|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does John keep his pistol?
2. What do the three men do once they pass Hell Creek?
3. What is Ludus' standard weekly pay?
4. What is Sam's job at the railway?
5. On what day does the story begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the unspoken agreement between Father and John?
2. How does Grandfather's purchase of the automobile show him to be a proud man?
3. Summarize the novel.
4. What does the ploughman's extortion of Boon express?
5. Describe Boon's character.
6. What does the conversation in Chapter 4 between Boon and Lucius show about both characters?
7. What lies does Lucius tell in Chapter 3?
8. What does Lucius learn about Binford?
9. What does the Iron Bridge symbolize?
10. Why can Boon not lock the automobile in the garage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference does dialect make in the novel? Do the students think there are times that dialect does not work? When should a writer use dialect?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Faulkner's books have similar characters, themes, or settings? How has Faulkner's work matured over the years?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the southern Gothic genre.
1) What are the typical plot, character, and settings of the genre?
2) How has the genre developed over the years?
3) In general what thoughts and feeling does the southern Gothic novel express?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)