|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Prior want to return to the war?
2. Why does Prior start feeling hostile towards Sarah?
3. What does Rivers spend much time doing while at the chicken farm?
4. What classes did Rivers' father used to teach?
5. How does Brock feel about the war and men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sassoon do about one of Owen's poems?
2. What happens with Prior and Lumb when they see each other again after a week of not seeing each other?
3. What does Rivers do with Bryce when he returns to Craiglockhart?
4. Why does Rivers visit Henry Head and what does Head offer him?
5. What does Rivers try to do for his brother while on leave but what does he end up doing?
6. What happens to Burns in Chapter 13?
7. How does Sarah feel about Prior when he has not seen her for a week and what does he tell her?
8. What does the board decide to do about Prior in Chapter 18?
9. How is Willard doing by Chapter 20 and to what does he credit his state?
10. Why is Rivers given three weeks leave by Dr. Bryce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Regeneration.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Regeneration. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Regeneration. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Sassoon has decided not to fight in the war any longer. Some would see this as a rejection of his country's needs. Discuss on of the following:
Discuss one of the following:
1. What does patriotism mean to me? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
2. Class discussion. What is patriotism? What are the advantages of a country whose citizens feel highly patriotic? What are the disadvantages? What happens when patriots become zealots? Should patriotism be expected of its citizens by any country? Why or why not?
3. How do the characters in Regeneration demonstrate their patriotism? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Regeneration help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Regeneration? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Regeneration to discuss and compare Sassoon's response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)