|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Brock feel about the war and men?
2. Why is Prior embarrassed?
3. What upsets Prior in Chapter 18?
4. Where were the "fathers" in the dedication?
5. What does Sassoon tell Rivers Sassoon will be doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sassoon do about the medical boards in August?
2. What does Sarah's mother tell her about romance?
3. What do Owen and Sassoon do the last time they meet?
4. What is Rivers doing in Chapter 20 and why?
5. What does Rivers do that makes the other board members stare at him?
6. Where does Rivers stay the first night in London and how does he find his new job?
7. Why does Rivers go to Aldebugh?
8. What happens with Prior and Lumb when they see each other again after a week of not seeing each other?
9. Why is Peter sent to Rivers?
10. Why does Sassoon meet Graves in Chapter 17 and what does he tell Graves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Questions that most likely Barker wanted the readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Barker's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of Sassoon, why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during a situation like Sassoon is involved in Regeneration, and one during an ordinary event, in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
Essay Topic 3
After fighting in the war and winning a number of medals for valor, Sassoon has decided the war is pointless and the soldiers have no understanding of why they are fighting. He has decided to quit fighting.
1. Do you believe a government should be able to force a person to fight in a war? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If a person volunteers for the military and then decides he/she does not want to be in the military do you think they should be able to quit just like any other job? Why or why not?
3. Do you think all citizens of a country should have to serve a mandatory two years in the military between the ages of 18 and 21? Explain in depth, your position. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)