|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dr. Rivers go on leave?
2. What does Rivers thinks Burns may do in a couple years?
3. How is Dr. Yealland's bedside manner?
4. What does Madge do at home?
5. What has happened to Willard?
Essay Topic 1
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of Sassoon, why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during a situation like Sassoon is involved in Regeneration, and one during an ordinary event, in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
Essay Topic 2
Regeneration is set in an actual historical war.
1. Do you think Regeneration qualifies as an historical fiction or political protest? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era (early 1900s) is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Regeneration is the first book in a trilogy involving Sassoon, Rivers and others. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing several novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a stand-alone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 2,172 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)