|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Prior want to return to the war?
2. What does Sassoon read to Owen?
3. What is Dr. Rivers doing in Chapter 20?
4. How is Dr. Yealland's bedside manner?
5. Why is Charles Rivers' cat morose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sarah find out about Madge at work?
2. What do Owen and Sassoon do the last time they meet?
3. Where does Rivers go on leave and why is that place there for him to visit?
4. Who gives Rivers a tour of the National Hospital and what does Rivers thinks of that man's treatment methods?
5. What is Rivers doing in Chapter 20 and why?
6. Why is Rivers given three weeks leave by Dr. Bryce?
7. Why does Rivers go to Aldebugh?
8. What do Prior and Sarah do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
9. What does Rivers do with Bryce when he returns to Craiglockhart?
10. What are Sassoon and Owen working on together and what are Owen's plans for his future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sassoon, the protagonist was a British soldier in the First World War.
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the First World War begins and ends.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the causes of the tremendous numbers of deaths in the First World War.
3. Compare/Contrast the issues in the First World War compared with the issues in the Second World War.
Essay Topic 2
After fighting in the war and winning a number of medals for valor, Sassoon has decided the war is pointless and the soldiers have no understanding of why they are fighting. He has decided to quit fighting.
1. Do you believe a government should be able to force a person to fight in a war? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If a person volunteers for the military and then decides he/she does not want to be in the military do you think they should be able to quit just like any other job? Why or why not?
3. Do you think all citizens of a country should have to serve a mandatory two years in the military between the ages of 18 and 21? Explain in depth, your position. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare Sassoon's feelings about war and his assertion that it is not justified in the case of the First World War, with the ideas many Vietnam draftees expressed.
2. Do you think Sassoon's reaction to war is a common reaction for soldiers? Why or why not?
3. There is an idea that rich, political persons declare war but the common, poor person fights them. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)