|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rivers see before leaving?
2. What upsets Prior in Chapter 18?
3. What does Dr. Rivers think about Bryce?
4. Where do Sarah and Madge go?
5. How does Sarah reassure Prior?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the board decide to do about Prior in Chapter 18?
2. Where does Rivers stay the first night in London and how does he find his new job?
3. What is Rivers doing in Chapter 20 and why?
4. What do Prior and Sarah do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
5. What happens to Burns in Chapter 13?
6. What does Rivers do with Bryce when he returns to Craiglockhart?
7. What happens with Prior and Lumb when they see each other again after a week of not seeing each other?
8. What are Sassoon and Owen working on together and what are Owen's plans for his future?
9. Why does Rivers go to Aldebugh?
10. How is Willard doing by Chapter 20 and to what does he credit his state?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Regeneration based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Regeneration falls within the genre of historical fiction and/or political protest changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book is more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Regeneration is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
When Dr. Rivers transfers to a hospital in London he works with Dr. Yealland who is experimenting with electro-shock treatments.
1. Do you think physicians should be allowed to experiment on patients? Why or why not?
2. Who do you think should be responsible for the ethical aspects of new treatments for patients? Explain your answer using examples from the book to support your explanation.
3. Throughout history, even in present times, mentally ill patients are judged differently than physically ill patients. Explain, in depth, why you do or do not agree with this statement.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)