|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dr. Rivers go on leave?
2. To whom is Sarah talking to at the opening to Chapter 17?
3. Why is Madge in the hospital?
4. Why does Charles Rivers have to kill one of his chickens?
5. About whom does Prior make a derogatory comment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sassoon do about the medical boards in August?
2. What does Sarah's mother tell her about romance?
3. What do Owen and Sassoon do the last time they meet?
4. Why does Rivers visit Henry Head and what does Head offer him?
5. What happens with Prior and Lumb when they see each other again after a week of not seeing each other?
6. What happens to Burns in Chapter 13?
7. Where does Rivers stay the first night in London and how does he find his new job?
8. What does Rivers try to do for his brother while on leave but what does he end up doing?
9. What do Prior and Sarah do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
10. What does Rivers do that makes the other board members stare at him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and both Sassoon and Rivers are no exceptions.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Sassoon and Rivers each demonstrates his admirable traits. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze both Sassoon and Rivers' character flaws, and explain how the flaws create more complex and believable characters. How do you think either man's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing each man's strengths and weaknesses, decide if each man is an appropriate "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might be a more admirable "hero"?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of Sassoon, why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during a situation like Sassoon is involved in Regeneration, and one during an ordinary event, in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
Essay Topic 3
Sassoon has decided not to fight in the war any longer. Some would see this as a rejection of his country's needs. Discuss on of the following:
Discuss one of the following:
1. What does patriotism mean to me? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
2. Class discussion. What is patriotism? What are the advantages of a country whose citizens feel highly patriotic? What are the disadvantages? What happens when patriots become zealots? Should patriotism be expected of its citizens by any country? Why or why not?
3. How do the characters in Regeneration demonstrate their patriotism? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)