|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Burns go one night during a storm?
2. What does Owen feel when leaving Sassoon?
3. How does Brock feel about the war and men?
4. What does Prior not want to happen?
5. What does Sarah's mother say happens in a condom factory?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Regeneration based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Regeneration falls within the genre of historical fiction and/or political protest changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Sassoon, the protagonist was a British soldier in the First World War.
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the First World War begins and ends.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the causes of the tremendous numbers of deaths in the First World War.
3. Compare/Contrast the issues in the First World War compared with the issues in the Second World War.
Essay Topic 3
When Dr. Rivers transfers to a hospital in London he works with Dr. Yealland who is experimenting with electro-shock treatments.
1. Do you think physicians should be allowed to experiment on patients? Why or why not?
2. Who do you think should be responsible for the ethical aspects of new treatments for patients? Explain your answer using examples from the book to support your explanation.
3. Throughout history, even in present times, mentally ill patients are judged differently than physically ill patients. Explain, in depth, why you do or do not agree with this statement.
This section contains 2,224 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)