|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Owen and Sassoon meet?
2. What does Owen feel when leaving Sassoon?
3. What upsets Prior in Chapter 18?
4. What had Sassoon revealed at some time in the past to Dr. Rivers?
5. Who does Prior see and realize he really likes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sassoon meet Graves in Chapter 17 and what does he tell Graves?
2. What does Rivers do with Bryce when he returns to Craiglockhart?
3. Why does Rivers go to Aldebugh?
4. What happens to Burns in Chapter 13?
5. What does Rivers do that makes the other board members stare at him?
6. Where does Rivers stay the first night in London and how does he find his new job?
7. What does Sarah's mother tell her about romance?
8. What happens with Prior and Lumb when they see each other again after a week of not seeing each other?
9. Who gives Rivers a tour of the National Hospital and what does Rivers thinks of that man's treatment methods?
10. What do Prior and Sarah do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Regeneration is set in an actual historical war.
1. Do you think Regeneration qualifies as an historical fiction or political protest? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era (early 1900s) is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
War is one of the most common occurrences in the history of humankind. Discuss one of the following:
1. Analyze how Sassoon feels about WWI. Are his feelings typical of others in the book? Are his beliefs about the war justifiable? Explain with examples.
2. Does your belief about WWI change as you read this book? What about your beliefs about war in general? Explain with examples from the text and your own experience.
3. Many resources throughout the ages have been used in the pursuit of war-related activities. Does the war in this book justify the loss of life and resources? Why or why not? Does any war justify the same?
Essay Topic 3
Sassoon, the protagonist was a British soldier in the First World War.
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the First World War begins and ends.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the causes of the tremendous numbers of deaths in the First World War.
3. Compare/Contrast the issues in the First World War compared with the issues in the Second World War.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)