|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sassoon hear that wakes him?
2. Where does Burns go one night during a storm?
3. Why does Prior want to return to the war?
4. What is a first for Sarah and Prior?
5. What does Sassoon believe about one of Owen's poems?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Prior and Sarah do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
2. How is Willard doing by Chapter 20 and to what does he credit his state?
3. How does Sarah feel about Prior when he has not seen her for a week and what does he tell her?
4. What does Rivers do that makes the other board members stare at him?
5. What happens to Burns in Chapter 13?
6. Where does Rivers go on leave and why is that place there for him to visit?
7. Why is Peter sent to Rivers?
8. What does Rivers do with Bryce when he returns to Craiglockhart?
9. Why is Rivers given three weeks leave by Dr. Bryce?
10. What does the board decide to do about Prior in Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of Sassoon, why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during a situation like Sassoon is involved in Regeneration, and one during an ordinary event, in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
Essay Topic 2
In Regeneration, it is hard to know who is the "good" guy versus the "bad" guy. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Regeneration. How far into the book does it take to separate the untrustworthy from those who can be trusted?
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Regeneration.
3. Are there some characters who can be trustworthy at times and not trustworthy at other times? Who? Why do they vacillate?
Essay Topic 3
Sassoon has decided not to fight in the war any longer. Some would see this as a rejection of his country's needs. Discuss on of the following:
Discuss one of the following:
1. What does patriotism mean to me? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
2. Class discussion. What is patriotism? What are the advantages of a country whose citizens feel highly patriotic? What are the disadvantages? What happens when patriots become zealots? Should patriotism be expected of its citizens by any country? Why or why not?
3. How do the characters in Regeneration demonstrate their patriotism? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)