|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Prior see and realize he really likes?
2. Why is Madge in the hospital?
3. What does Sassoon read to Owen?
4. Of what does Owen say his poem is symbolic?
5. What does Owen feel when leaving Sassoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Peter sent to Rivers?
2. What does Rivers do with Bryce when he returns to Craiglockhart?
3. What does Sassoon do about the medical boards in August?
4. Who gives Rivers a tour of the National Hospital and what does Rivers thinks of that man's treatment methods?
5. Why does Rivers go to Aldebugh?
6. What do Prior and Sarah do at the beginning of Chapter 19?
7. What does Sarah's mother tell her about romance?
8. How is Willard doing by Chapter 20 and to what does he credit his state?
9. What are Sassoon and Owen working on together and what are Owen's plans for his future?
10. What does Sassoon do about one of Owen's poems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Regeneration is the first book in a trilogy involving Sassoon, Rivers and others. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing several novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a stand-alone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Sassoon, the protagonist was a British soldier in the First World War.
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the First World War begins and ends.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the causes of the tremendous numbers of deaths in the First World War.
3. Compare/Contrast the issues in the First World War compared with the issues in the Second World War.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Regeneration based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Regeneration falls within the genre of historical fiction and/or political protest changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)