|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sassoon realize about Dr. Rivers?
2. What upsets Prior in Chapter 18?
3. Who does Rivers see before leaving?
4. What is Owen's poem about?
5. What is the purpose of Dr. Rivers' brother having a chicken farm?
Essay Topic 1
War is one of the most common occurrences in the history of humankind. Discuss one of the following:
1. Analyze how Sassoon feels about WWI. Are his feelings typical of others in the book? Are his beliefs about the war justifiable? Explain with examples.
2. Does your belief about WWI change as you read this book? What about your beliefs about war in general? Explain with examples from the text and your own experience.
3. Many resources throughout the ages have been used in the pursuit of war-related activities. Does the war in this book justify the loss of life and resources? Why or why not? Does any war justify the same?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Regeneration.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Regeneration. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Regeneration. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
After fighting in the war and winning a number of medals for valor, Sassoon has decided the war is pointless and the soldiers have no understanding of why they are fighting. He has decided to quit fighting.
1. Do you believe a government should be able to force a person to fight in a war? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If a person volunteers for the military and then decides he/she does not want to be in the military do you think they should be able to quit just like any other job? Why or why not?
3. Do you think all citizens of a country should have to serve a mandatory two years in the military between the ages of 18 and 21? Explain in depth, your position. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 2,201 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)