Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Burns go one night during a storm?
2. What does Owen feel when leaving Sassoon?
3. How does Brock feel about the war and men?
4. What does Prior not want to happen?
5. What does Sarah's mother say happens in a condom factory?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare Sassoon's feelings about war and his assertion that it is not justified in the case of the First World War, with the ideas many Vietnam draftees expressed.
2. Do you think Sassoon's reaction to war is a common reaction for soldiers? Why or why not?
3. There is an idea that rich, political persons declare war but the common, poor person fights them. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and both Sassoon and Rivers are no exceptions.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Sassoon and Rivers each demonstrates his admirable traits. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze both Sassoon and Rivers' character flaws, and explain how the flaws create more complex and believable characters. How do you think either man's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing each man's strengths and weaknesses, decide if each man is an appropriate "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might be a more admirable "hero"?
Essay Topic 3
Often titles reveal much about one or more aspects of a novel. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think is the purpose of a title? How closely related to a major theme(s) of a book do you think a title should be? Or should it be?
2. How is the word "Regeneration" relevant to the action of the novel? What sort of emotional/psychological response does the title evoke? Why do you think Barker chose this title (if she does)? If you were perusing the library for a book to read and saw this title, would it pique your interest? Why or why not. Does it seem to be the best title for the book?
3. If you were the writer of Regeneration and your editor says the title must be changed, what would you choose? Why?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)