|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What classes did Rivers' father used to teach?
2. What sort of problem does Rivers remember he had as a child?
3. What does Prior believe Sarah should do?
4. How does Brock feel about the war and men?
5. Who does Sassoon meet at a bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Burns in Chapter 13?
2. What are Sassoon and Owen working on together and what are Owen's plans for his future?
3. Why is Peter sent to Rivers?
4. What does Sarah find out about Madge at work?
5. Why does Rivers visit Henry Head and what does Head offer him?
6. What does Rivers do that makes the other board members stare at him?
7. How does Sarah feel about Prior when he has not seen her for a week and what does he tell her?
8. How is Willard doing by Chapter 20 and to what does he credit his state?
9. What do Owen and Sassoon do the last time they meet?
10. What happens with Prior and Lumb when they see each other again after a week of not seeing each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of Sassoon, why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during a situation like Sassoon is involved in Regeneration, and one during an ordinary event, in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Regeneration based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Regeneration falls within the genre of historical fiction and/or political protest changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Regeneration, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (Subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)