|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Prior respond to Rivers' offer to hypnotize him?
2. What happens to Prior at the opening to Chapter 6?
3. What does Sassoon do occasionally when answering Rivers' questions?
4. What can Prior not do?
5. About what do the two men talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is reading a letter at the beginning of Chapter 1 and what is it titled?
2. In Chapter 6 why does Rivers see Prior after dinner and what does Prior tell him what is Rivers' response?
3. What happens to Prior at the beginning of Chapter 7 and what does Prior have to say about it?
4. What happened to Prior that sent him to the hospital?
5. How does Prior look to Rivers in Chapter 8 and what is he doing that earns Rivers' disapproval?
6. Who is Anderson and why is he at the hospital?
7. What does Sassoon do after his swim with Graves?
8. What happens to Burns in Chapter 2 and what is Rivers' response?
9. How does Rivers try to convince Sassoon to return to the war?
10. What does Prior do when he sneaks off the hospital grounds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Regeneration based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Regeneration falls within the genre of historical fiction and/or political protest changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Sassoon, the protagonist was a British soldier in the First World War.
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the First World War begins and ends.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the causes of the tremendous numbers of deaths in the First World War.
3. Compare/Contrast the issues in the First World War compared with the issues in the Second World War.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Regeneration.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Regeneration. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Regeneration. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)