|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was worried about Burns while he was gone?
2. What does Sassoon think about on the train?
3. Who comes to visit at the hospital?
4. Who is Henry Head?
5. About what do the two men talk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Sassoon's Declaration and how does Sassoon feel about that and what does he and Rivers discuss in Chapter 7 besides this?
2. What does Prior do when he sneaks off the hospital grounds?
3. Who is Wilfred Owen and how does he feel about Sassoon?
4. What does Sassoon describe to Dr. Rivers about what happened when he first returned from France and what does he say about it now?
5. Who is Anderson and why is he at the hospital?
6. In Chapter 4 what does Burns do when he leaves the hospital for part of a day?
7. Why is Prior at the hospital?
8. What does is Prior able to do at the beginning of Chapter 6 and what does he ask Rivers to do?
9. What does Sassoon tell Dr. Rivers about his medical board and what did the board determine about Sassoon?
10. What happens to Burns in Chapter 2 and what is Rivers' response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Regeneration, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (Subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
War is one of the most common occurrences in the history of humankind. Discuss one of the following:
1. Analyze how Sassoon feels about WWI. Are his feelings typical of others in the book? Are his beliefs about the war justifiable? Explain with examples.
2. Does your belief about WWI change as you read this book? What about your beliefs about war in general? Explain with examples from the text and your own experience.
3. Many resources throughout the ages have been used in the pursuit of war-related activities. Does the war in this book justify the loss of life and resources? Why or why not? Does any war justify the same?
Essay Topic 3
Sassoon has decided not to fight in the war any longer. Some would see this as a rejection of his country's needs. Discuss on of the following:
Discuss one of the following:
1. What does patriotism mean to me? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
2. Class discussion. What is patriotism? What are the advantages of a country whose citizens feel highly patriotic? What are the disadvantages? What happens when patriots become zealots? Should patriotism be expected of its citizens by any country? Why or why not?
3. How do the characters in Regeneration demonstrate their patriotism? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)