|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Prior find when he returns to the fire bay after a shell hits it?
2. What do Sassoon and Dr. Rivers talk about when Sassoon returns from swimming?
3. How does Prior respond to Rivers' offer to hypnotize him?
4. What does Rivers say when Sassoon asks if he is crazy?
5. What was Anderson's former occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rivers see when Prior's parents visit?
2. What does Sassoon notice in the taxi and why does he touch his chest?
3. How does Prior look to Rivers in Chapter 8 and what is he doing that earns Rivers' disapproval?
4. What does Sassoon do after his swim with Graves?
5. What happens to Prior at the beginning of Chapter 7 and what does Prior have to say about it?
6. What happens to Burns in Chapter 2 and what is Rivers' response?
7. What is causing Dr. Rivers pain in his head while he is sleeping?
8. What game do Sassoon and Anderson play in Chapter 8 and what does Anderson almost do to Sassoon?
9. Who is Anderson and why is he at the hospital?
10. Who is suppose to go on the train with Sassoon and why doesn't he?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Questions that most likely Barker wanted the readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Barker's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Essay Topic 2
In Regeneration, it is hard to know who is the "good" guy versus the "bad" guy. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Regeneration. How far into the book does it take to separate the untrustworthy from those who can be trusted?
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Regeneration.
3. Are there some characters who can be trustworthy at times and not trustworthy at other times? Who? Why do they vacillate?
Essay Topic 3
Sassoon, the protagonist was a British soldier in the First World War.
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the First World War begins and ends.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the causes of the tremendous numbers of deaths in the First World War.
3. Compare/Contrast the issues in the First World War compared with the issues in the Second World War.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)