|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sassoon and Dr. Rivers talk about when Sassoon returns from swimming?
2. What strikes Rivers as odd about Sassoon?
3. What does Broadbent believe?
4. What happens to Prior at the opening to Chapter 6?
5. Where does Burns go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Prior at the beginning of Chapter 7 and what does Prior have to say about it?
2. What does Dr. Brock suggest to Rivers about Sassoon?
3. Why is Prior at the hospital?
4. Why does Sassoon meet Graves in Chapter 17 and what does he tell Graves?
5. What does Sassoon do about the medical boards in August?
6. How does Sarah feel about Prior when he has not seen her for a week and what does he tell her?
7. What does is Prior able to do at the beginning of Chapter 6 and what does he ask Rivers to do?
8. What does Sarah's mother tell her about romance?
9. What does Sassoon notice in the taxi and why does he touch his chest?
10. What does Rivers think about Anderson's vision of Rivers in one of Anderson's dreams?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sassoon has decided not to fight in the war any longer. Some would see this as a rejection of his country's needs. Discuss on of the following:
Discuss one of the following:
1. What does patriotism mean to me? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
2. Class discussion. What is patriotism? What are the advantages of a country whose citizens feel highly patriotic? What are the disadvantages? What happens when patriots become zealots? Should patriotism be expected of its citizens by any country? Why or why not?
3. How do the characters in Regeneration demonstrate their patriotism? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare Sassoon's feelings about war and his assertion that it is not justified in the case of the First World War, with the ideas many Vietnam draftees expressed.
2. Do you think Sassoon's reaction to war is a common reaction for soldiers? Why or why not?
3. There is an idea that rich, political persons declare war but the common, poor person fights them. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Dr. Rivers transfers to a hospital in London he works with Dr. Yealland who is experimenting with electro-shock treatments.
1. Do you think physicians should be allowed to experiment on patients? Why or why not?
2. Who do you think should be responsible for the ethical aspects of new treatments for patients? Explain your answer using examples from the book to support your explanation.
3. Throughout history, even in present times, mentally ill patients are judged differently than physically ill patients. Explain, in depth, why you do or do not agree with this statement.
This section contains 2,633 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)