|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Graves tell Dr. Rivers about Sassoon's board decision?
2. Who wrote the letter Dr. Rivers is reading at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What does Rivers tell Bryce about Sassoon?
4. Where does Dr. Rivers work?
5. Why is Prior worried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Prior at the hospital?
2. What game do Sassoon and Anderson play in Chapter 8 and what does Anderson almost do to Sassoon?
3. What happens to Prior at the beginning of Chapter 7 and what does Prior have to say about it?
4. Who is suppose to go on the train with Sassoon and why doesn't he?
5. What does Dr. Brock suggest to Rivers about Sassoon?
6. Who is reading a letter at the beginning of Chapter 1 and what is it titled?
7. What happened to Sassoon's Declaration and how does Sassoon feel about that and what does he and Rivers discuss in Chapter 7 besides this?
8. How does Prior look to Rivers in Chapter 8 and what is he doing that earns Rivers' disapproval?
9. What happened to Prior that sent him to the hospital?
10. How does Rivers try to convince Sassoon to return to the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sassoon, the protagonist was a British soldier in the First World War.
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the First World War begins and ends.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the causes of the tremendous numbers of deaths in the First World War.
3. Compare/Contrast the issues in the First World War compared with the issues in the Second World War.
Essay Topic 2
After fighting in the war and winning a number of medals for valor, Sassoon has decided the war is pointless and the soldiers have no understanding of why they are fighting. He has decided to quit fighting.
1. Do you believe a government should be able to force a person to fight in a war? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If a person volunteers for the military and then decides he/she does not want to be in the military do you think they should be able to quit just like any other job? Why or why not?
3. Do you think all citizens of a country should have to serve a mandatory two years in the military between the ages of 18 and 21? Explain in depth, your position. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Regeneration.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Regeneration. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Regeneration. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)