|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Anderson to almost beat his golfing partner?
2. What was Anderson's former occupation?
3. How long is Prior confined to the hospital?
4. How is Prior affecting his roommate?
5. Where is the person Rivers is interviewing a patient?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with Broadbent and what does Rivers do about it?
2. What does Sassoon do after his swim with Graves?
3. What happens to Prior at the beginning of Chapter 7 and what does Prior have to say about it?
4. What does Sassoon notice in the taxi and why does he touch his chest?
5. What does Sassoon describe to Dr. Rivers about what happened when he first returned from France and what does he say about it now?
6. Who is Wilfred Owen and how does he feel about Sassoon?
7. What does Prior describe to Rivers in Chapter 8?
8. How does Prior look to Rivers in Chapter 8 and what is he doing that earns Rivers' disapproval?
9. What does Rivers see when Prior's parents visit?
10. What does Prior continue to ask Rivers for and what does he show Rivers? What is Rivers' response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of manipulation and power in Regeneration. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with manipulation and power? Why? What are some symbols of manipulation and power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of war in Regeneration. Why is Britain engaged in a war? What are some symbols of war that occur in the book? Is the war justified?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death. How does the world of Sassoon's time seem to view death? Who tries to avoid killing? Who seems to kill for frivolous reasons? Who seems afraid of dying? Not afraid? Who meets death gracefully? In resignation? With joy? With fear?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by this book. Questions that most likely Barker wanted the readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the author's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Barker's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Regeneration based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Regeneration falls within the genre of historical fiction and/or political protest changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)