|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Prior when he first goes under hypnotism?
2. What does Prior want of Dr. Rivers?
3. How long is Prior confined to the hospital?
4. What happens to Sassoon instead of a court-martial?
5. Who comes to visit at the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rivers think about Anderson's vision of Rivers in one of Anderson's dreams?
2. What happened to Sassoon's Declaration and how does Sassoon feel about that and what does he and Rivers discuss in Chapter 7 besides this?
3. How does Rivers try to convince Sassoon to return to the war?
4. What does the writer say in the letter and what consequences has he suffered as the result of the letter?
5. What happens to Prior at the beginning of Chapter 7 and what does Prior have to say about it?
6. What does is Prior able to do at the beginning of Chapter 6 and what does he ask Rivers to do?
7. Why is Prior at the hospital?
8. What happens in Chapter 3 when Graves arrives at the hospital?
9. Who is suppose to go on the train with Sassoon and why doesn't he?
10. What does Sassoon describe to Dr. Rivers about what happened when he first returned from France and what does he say about it now?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most protagonists are a mixture of admirable traits and character flaws, and both Sassoon and Rivers are no exceptions.
1. Trace and analyze situations when Sassoon and Rivers each demonstrates his admirable traits. Give specific examples to illustrate your analysis.
2. Trace and analyze both Sassoon and Rivers' character flaws, and explain how the flaws create more complex and believable characters. How do you think either man's character flaws make some situations more difficult for him?
3. After analyzing each man's strengths and weaknesses, decide if each man is an appropriate "hero" of the story. Is there anyone else who might be a more admirable "hero"?
Essay Topic 2
Sassoon has decided not to fight in the war any longer. Some would see this as a rejection of his country's needs. Discuss on of the following:
Discuss one of the following:
1. What does patriotism mean to me? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
2. Class discussion. What is patriotism? What are the advantages of a country whose citizens feel highly patriotic? What are the disadvantages? What happens when patriots become zealots? Should patriotism be expected of its citizens by any country? Why or why not?
3. How do the characters in Regeneration demonstrate their patriotism? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Regeneration based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel. Explain your rationale with specific examples.
3. Do you think the fact that Regeneration falls within the genre of historical fiction and/or political protest changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)