Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Second-lieutenant Prior?
2. Why does Prior apologize to Rivers?
3. With what is the letter writer diagnosed?
4. How does Sassoon feel towards civilians?
5. What is Dr. Rivers' response to Prior's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Anderson and why is he at the hospital?
2. In Chapter 6 why does Rivers see Prior after dinner and what does Prior tell him what is Rivers' response?
3. What does Rivers see when Prior's parents visit?
4. Describe the nightmare Rivers had in Chapter 22 and Rivers' interpretation of the nightmare.
5. What is causing Dr. Rivers pain in his head while he is sleeping?
6. What does the writer say in the letter and what consequences has he suffered as the result of the letter?
7. Who is suppose to go on the train with Sassoon and why doesn't he?
8. What does is Prior able to do at the beginning of Chapter 6 and what does he ask Rivers to do?
9. Why does Sassoon meet Graves in Chapter 17 and what does he tell Graves?
10. What happened to Sassoon's Declaration and how does Sassoon feel about that and what does he and Rivers discuss in Chapter 7 besides this?
Essay Topic 1
After fighting in the war and winning a number of medals for valor, Sassoon has decided the war is pointless and the soldiers have no understanding of why they are fighting. He has decided to quit fighting.
1. Do you believe a government should be able to force a person to fight in a war? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If a person volunteers for the military and then decides he/she does not want to be in the military do you think they should be able to quit just like any other job? Why or why not?
3. Do you think all citizens of a country should have to serve a mandatory two years in the military between the ages of 18 and 21? Explain in depth, your position. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Sassoon has decided not to fight in the war any longer. Some would see this as a rejection of his country's needs. Discuss on of the following:
Discuss one of the following:
1. What does patriotism mean to me? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
2. Class discussion. What is patriotism? What are the advantages of a country whose citizens feel highly patriotic? What are the disadvantages? What happens when patriots become zealots? Should patriotism be expected of its citizens by any country? Why or why not?
3. How do the characters in Regeneration demonstrate their patriotism? Use examples from Regeneration to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Sassoon to Rivers. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their different positions? Why or why not?
2. Compare/contrast Sasson to Prior. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Do you think the difference between their class affects who they are?
3. Compare/contrast Rivers to Yealland. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likeable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)