|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what does Dr. Rivers get some insight?
2. How does Prior appear at the opening of Chapter 8?
3. Why does Prior apologize to Rivers?
4. What does the letter Dr. Rivers is reading say?
5. What does Prior not remember?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6 why does Rivers see Prior after dinner and what does Prior tell him what is Rivers' response?
2. What is causing Dr. Rivers pain in his head while he is sleeping?
3. Who is reading a letter at the beginning of Chapter 1 and what is it titled?
4. What happened to Prior that sent him to the hospital?
5. How does Prior look to Rivers in Chapter 8 and what is he doing that earns Rivers' disapproval?
6. What does Sassoon do after his swim with Graves?
7. In Chapter 4 what does Burns do when he leaves the hospital for part of a day?
8. Who is Wilfred Owen and how does he feel about Sassoon?
9. What does the writer say in the letter and what consequences has he suffered as the result of the letter?
10. Why is Prior at the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Regeneration, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements (Subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
In Regeneration, it is hard to know who is the "good" guy versus the "bad" guy. Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Regeneration. How far into the book does it take to separate the untrustworthy from those who can be trusted?
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout Regeneration.
3. Are there some characters who can be trustworthy at times and not trustworthy at other times? Who? Why do they vacillate?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare Sassoon's feelings about war and his assertion that it is not justified in the case of the First World War, with the ideas many Vietnam draftees expressed.
2. Do you think Sassoon's reaction to war is a common reaction for soldiers? Why or why not?
3. There is an idea that rich, political persons declare war but the common, poor person fights them. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)