|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confuses Sarah Lumb?
2. Who does Prior meet at a pub?
3. Where do Sassoon and Graves go for some recreation?
4. What strikes Rivers as odd about Sassoon?
5. Who is Dr. Rivers interviewing at the opening to Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 6 why does Rivers see Prior after dinner and what does Prior tell him what is Rivers' response?
2. What does Sassoon describe to Dr. Rivers about what happened when he first returned from France and what does he say about it now?
3. In Chapter 4 what does Burns do when he leaves the hospital for part of a day?
4. What does Prior describe to Rivers in Chapter 8?
5. What happens in Chapter 3 when Graves arrives at the hospital?
6. What does Rivers think about Anderson's vision of Rivers in one of Anderson's dreams?
7. Who is Anderson and why is he at the hospital?
8. What does Sassoon tell Dr. Rivers about his medical board and what did the board determine about Sassoon?
9. What does Prior do when he sneaks off the hospital grounds?
10. What does Dr. Brock suggest to Rivers about Sassoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare Sassoon's feelings about war and his assertion that it is not justified in the case of the First World War, with the ideas many Vietnam draftees expressed.
2. Do you think Sassoon's reaction to war is a common reaction for soldiers? Why or why not?
3. There is an idea that rich, political persons declare war but the common, poor person fights them. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Sassoon to Rivers. How are they alike? How are they different? Do you think their differences are mainly due to their different positions? Why or why not?
2. Compare/contrast Sasson to Prior. How are they alike? How are they different? How do their "world views" differ? Do you think the difference between their class affects who they are?
3. Compare/contrast Rivers to Yealland. How are they alike? How are they different? Who is more likeable? Approachable? Compassionate? Intellectual?
Essay Topic 3
Regeneration is the first book in a trilogy involving Sassoon, Rivers and others. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing several novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a stand-alone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)