Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Second-lieutenant Prior?
2. Why does Prior apologize to Rivers?
3. With what is the letter writer diagnosed?
4. How does Sassoon feel towards civilians?
5. What is Dr. Rivers' response to Prior's request?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Anderson and why is he at the hospital?
2. In Chapter 6 why does Rivers see Prior after dinner and what does Prior tell him what is Rivers' response?
3. What does Rivers see when Prior's parents visit?
4. Describe the nightmare Rivers had in Chapter 22 and Rivers' interpretation of the nightmare.
5. What is causing Dr. Rivers pain in his head while he is sleeping?
6. What does the writer say in the letter and what consequences has he suffered as the result of the letter?
7. Who is suppose to go on the train with Sassoon and why doesn't he?
8. What does is Prior able to do at the beginning of Chapter 6 and what does he ask Rivers to do?
9. Why does Sassoon meet Graves in Chapter 17 and what does he tell Graves?
10. What happened to Sassoon's Declaration and how does Sassoon feel about that and what does he and Rivers discuss in Chapter 7 besides this?
1. What is courage? It is defined in the dictionary as: mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty. How is courage demonstrated? Given what you have seen of Sassoon, why would one call him courageous? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. Discuss two situations, one during a situation like Sassoon is involved in Regeneration, and one during an ordinary event, in which a great deal of courage would be needed to endure the situations.
3. Discuss the two sides to the following: Courage can be learned. One is either born with courage or not.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare Sassoon's feelings about war and his assertion that it is not justified in the case of the First World War, with the ideas many Vietnam draftees expressed.
2. Do you think Sassoon's reaction to war is a common reaction for soldiers? Why or why not?
3. There is an idea that rich, political persons declare war but the common, poor person fights them. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
After fighting in the war and winning a number of medals for valor, Sassoon has decided the war is pointless and the soldiers have no understanding of why they are fighting. He has decided to quit fighting.
1. Do you believe a government should be able to force a person to fight in a war? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
2. If a person volunteers for the military and then decides he/she does not want to be in the military do you think they should be able to quit just like any other job? Why or why not?
3. Do you think all citizens of a country should have to serve a mandatory two years in the military between the ages of 18 and 21? Explain in depth, your position. Use examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)