|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Prior confined to the hospital?
2. Where does Burns sit naked?
3. What is Anderson's problem?
4. How does Prior appear at the opening of Chapter 8?
5. Where does Burns go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Prior look to Rivers in Chapter 8 and what is he doing that earns Rivers' disapproval?
2. What happens to Prior at the beginning of Chapter 7 and what does Prior have to say about it?
3. What does Prior do when he sneaks off the hospital grounds?
4. What does Sassoon describe to Dr. Rivers about what happened when he first returned from France and what does he say about it now?
5. What does Prior describe to Rivers in Chapter 8?
6. In Chapter 6 why does Rivers see Prior after dinner and what does Prior tell him what is Rivers' response?
7. What happened to Prior that sent him to the hospital?
8. What does is Prior able to do at the beginning of Chapter 6 and what does he ask Rivers to do?
9. What do Sassoon and Graves talk about when they go swimming in Chapter 4 and what does Sassoon say he remembers about the subject?
10. Who is suppose to go on the train with Sassoon and why doesn't he?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often titles reveal much about one or more aspects of a novel. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think is the purpose of a title? How closely related to a major theme(s) of a book do you think a title should be? Or should it be?
2. How is the word "Regeneration" relevant to the action of the novel? What sort of emotional/psychological response does the title evoke? Why do you think Barker chose this title (if she does)? If you were perusing the library for a book to read and saw this title, would it pique your interest? Why or why not. Does it seem to be the best title for the book?
3. If you were the writer of Regeneration and your editor says the title must be changed, what would you choose? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Regeneration is the first book in a trilogy involving Sassoon, Rivers and others. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing several novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand-alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a stand-alone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Regeneration.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Regeneration. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Regeneration. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)