|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sassoon hear that wakes him?
(a) Someone whispering.
(b) A scream.
(c) A tapping noise.
(d) An explosion.
2. What surprises Prior when he sees Sarah in the daylight for the first time?
(a) How bad her left hand shakes.
(c) How yellow her skin is.
(d) That she cannot talk in full sentences without being breathless.
3. What is happening in August at the opening of Chapter 18?
(a) An armistice.
(b) Another front has opened up in France.
(c) Dr. Rivers is reassigned.
(d) The medical boards.
4. Where does Burns go one night during a storm?
(a) The cellar.
(b) A cave in which he played as a child.
(c) An old tower.
(d) His son's tree house.
5. Where does Henry Head offer a job to Dr. Rivers?
(a) Central Hospital at Newarington.
(b) He has not offered Rivers a job.
(c) Central Hospital at Hampstead.
(d) Psychiatric hospital in Offingham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Prior want to return to the war?
2. Where do Sarah and Madge go?
3. What is Dr. Rivers doing in Chapter 20?
4. From where does Sassoon get his name?
5. What does Sassoon tell Rivers Sassoon will be doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Owen and Sassoon do the last time they meet?
2. What does Rivers do with Bryce when he returns to Craiglockhart?
3. What is Rivers doing in Chapter 20 and why?
4. Why does Rivers go to Aldebugh?
5. What does Rivers do that makes the other board members stare at him?
6. Where does Rivers go on leave and why is that place there for him to visit?
7. Why does Sassoon meet Graves in Chapter 17 and what does he tell Graves?
8. Who gives Rivers a tour of the National Hospital and what does Rivers thinks of that man's treatment methods?
9. What happens with Prior and Lumb when they see each other again after a week of not seeing each other?
10. Why does Rivers visit Henry Head and what does Head offer him?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)