|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sarah's mother say happens in a condom factory?
(a) She doesn't mention a condom factory.
(b) Men get revenge on women.
(c) More sex than anywhere else.
(d) One in ten condoms is deliberately compromised.
2. What is a first for Sarah and Prior?
(a) A misunderstanding about Prior's intentions.
(b) A fight.
3. Of what does Owen say his poem is symbolic?
(a) The reasons for the start of the war.
(c) The prince whose assassination starts the war.
(d) Dr. Brock's view of the patients at Craiglockhart.
4. What is Owen's poem about?
(b) Achilles and Hector.
(c) Hercules and Antaeus.
(d) Helen of Troy.
5. Why is Prior embarrassed?
(a) Having to explain why he missed their rendezvous.
(b) He is not embarrassed.
(c) Learning he was upset just at seeing dead soldiers.
(d) For the way he was afraid of being hypnotized.
6. What does Dr. Rivers think about Bryce?
(a) That Bryce will recover, but it will take many years.
(b) He thinks he is too mentally ill to work.
(c) He thinks he will be gone in a month.
(d) That Bryce is faking his problem.
7. What does Sassoon do?
(a) Kills himself.
(b) Sits for a court martial for insubordination.
(c) Leaves the hospital.
(d) Gets a girl pregnant.
8. Where do Owen and Sassoon meet?
(a) The forest near Craiglockhart.
(b) The Conservative Club.
(c) The basement of Craiglockhart.
(d) The pub in a nearby town.
9. Where does Dr. Rivers go on leave?
(a) To visit his brother on a chicken farm.
(b) To the Mediterrean.
(c) To Ireland.
(d) To France.
10. Why does Prior start feeling hostile towards Sarah?
(a) He thinks she wants him for his social standing.
(b) He thinks she just pities him.
(c) He sees her as part of people who seek to have fun and pleasure all the time.
(d) He is not hostile to her.
11. What surprises Prior when he sees Sarah in the daylight for the first time?
(a) How bad her left hand shakes.
(c) How yellow her skin is.
(d) That she cannot talk in full sentences without being breathless.
12. What do Owens and Sassoon do?
(a) Smoke opium.
(b) Have a couple prostitutes to entertain them.
(c) Get drunk.
(d) Write a poem about Craiglockhart.
13. Why does Sassoon do what he did in question 141?
(a) He pleads no contest.
(b) He marries the girl.
(c) He is tired of waiting for a decision from the doctors.
(d) He decides it's the best way to cure his memories.
14. Why is Madge in the hospital?
(a) She puntures her bladder.
(b) She has the flu.
(c) She is hit with sharpnel from a wayward bomb.
(d) She is sick from the munitions dust.
15. What does Prior believe Sarah should do?
(a) Pay him in some way for fighting for freedom.
(b) Not see him again.
(c) Meet his best friend.
(d) Marry him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sarah's mother say a woman loves a man?
2. Where does Burns go one night during a storm?
3. To whom is Sarah talking to at the opening to Chapter 17?
4. What is mimicked?
5. Where does Henry Head offer a job to Dr. Rivers?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)