|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Dr. Rivers go to visit Burns?
2. What does Sassoon realize about Dr. Rivers?
(a) Dr. Rivers is not sure what he is doing sometimes.
(b) Dr. Rivers holds the hospital together.
(c) Sassoon has adopted him as a father figure.
(d) Dr. Rivers gets too emotionally involved with the soldiers.
3. What classes did Rivers' father used to teach?
(d) Speech therapy.
4. Why is Madge in the hospital?
(a) She has the flu.
(b) She is sick from the munitions dust.
(c) She puntures her bladder.
(d) She is hit with sharpnel from a wayward bomb.
5. What does Sarah's mother think Prior wants with Sarah?
(a) For a wife.
(b) A shoulder to cry on.
(c) Just sex.
(d) A handhold to sanity.
6. How does Sarah's mother say a woman loves a man?
(a) With total absorption.
(b) In the way a flower loves a bee.
(d) In the way a tapeworm loves the gut.
7. Who does Sassoon see in the doorway when he wakes?
(b) No one.
(d) Dr. Rivers.
8. To whom is Sarah talking to at the opening to Chapter 17?
(d) Her mother.
9. From where does Sassoon get his name?
(a) A poem by Keats.
(b) His father's love of Wagner.
(c) A poem by Schiller.
(d) His mother's love of Wagner.
10. What does Sarah ask about at work?
(a) If any of the other women know Dr. Rivers.
(b) Where Madge is.
(c) If any of the other women know Prior.
(d) Advice about continuing to date Prior.
11. What does Dr. Rivers' brother contract in the East?
(a) Dengue Fever.
(d) Yellow Fever.
12. Who did Siegfried's father "war"?
(a) A pigeon and a dove.
(b) Many enemy soldiers.
(c) Many a kestrel.
13. Where were the "fathers" in the dedication?
14. What does Madge do at home?
(a) Seduces an Air Force Captain.
(b) Bakes a cake for Sarah to give Prior, but she has no baking powder.
(c) Attempts an abortion.
(d) Commits suicide.
15. What had Sassoon revealed at some time in the past to Dr. Rivers?
(a) That Prior came on to him.
(b) That his parents have disowned him.
(c) That Sassoon is impotent.
(d) That he is either homosexual or has homosexual tendencies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Owen say his poem is symbolic?
2. What does Sassoon hear that wakes him?
3. Why does Prior start feeling hostile towards Sarah?
4. Where do Owen and Sassoon meet?
5. What does Rivers thinks Burns may do in a couple years?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)