|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Willard attribute what happens to him?
(a) A failure on Dr. Rivers' part.
(b) A great medical feat by Dr. Rivers.
(c) His cowardice.
(d) His distaste for the lunatics at the hospital.
2. Who is Sassoon on his way to see at the end of Chapter 18?
(a) A board of inquiry.
(b) His parents.
(d) His former commanding officer.
3. What does Sarah's mother think about the relationship between men and women?
(a) She has no opinion on the matter.
(b) That men and women are made to learn to love over time.
(c) That it is the strongest bond there is.
(d) That love cannot exist between men and women.
4. How does Brock feel about the war and men?
(a) The common man is the only innocent one in the war.
(b) The war has uprooted men from Earth.
(c) War should be played out by those in power.
(d) Some men enjoy war more when there is no good reason for it.
5. What does Madge do at home?
(a) Bakes a cake for Sarah to give Prior, but she has no baking powder.
(b) Attempts an abortion.
(c) Seduces an Air Force Captain.
(d) Commits suicide.
6. From where does Sassoon get his name?
(a) A poem by Keats.
(b) His father's love of Wagner.
(c) His mother's love of Wagner.
(d) A poem by Schiller.
7. Why does Prior start feeling hostile towards Sarah?
(a) He thinks she wants him for his social standing.
(b) He is not hostile to her.
(c) He thinks she just pities him.
(d) He sees her as part of people who seek to have fun and pleasure all the time.
8. What does Sassoon tell Rivers Sassoon will be doing?
(a) Return to the front.
(c) Ask for a discharge.
(d) He'll be dead.
9. How is Dr. Yealland's bedside manner?
(d) Cold and uncaring.
10. How does Sarah's mother say a woman loves a man?
(a) With total absorption.
(c) In the way a tapeworm loves the gut.
(d) In the way a flower loves a bee.
11. Where is Rivers headed?
12. What does Dr. Rivers think about Bryce?
(a) That Bryce is faking his problem.
(b) He thinks he is too mentally ill to work.
(c) He thinks he will be gone in a month.
(d) That Bryce will recover, but it will take many years.
13. What is a first for Sarah and Prior?
(b) A fight.
(d) A misunderstanding about Prior's intentions.
14. What does Sassoon hear that wakes him?
(a) A tapping noise.
(b) Someone whispering.
(c) A scream.
(d) An explosion.
15. What is happening in August at the opening of Chapter 18?
(a) Another front has opened up in France.
(b) The medical boards.
(c) An armistice.
(d) Dr. Rivers is reassigned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sassoon do?
2. What surprises Prior when he sees Sarah in the daylight for the first time?
3. Who does Sassoon see in the doorway when he wakes?
4. How does Burns seem to Dr. Rivers?
5. What do Owens and Sassoon do?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)