|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sarah's mother say men love?
(c) In the way a fox loves a hare.
(d) In the way the sun loves the moon.
2. How does Burns seem to Dr. Rivers?
(b) Odd but sane.
(d) Burns acts as if he does not know Dr. Rivers.
3. Who does Prior see and realize he really likes?
4. What does Sassoon have when he meets with Owen?
(a) Very expensive wine.
(b) A suitcase.
(c) A book.
(d) A gun.
5. What has happened to Willard?
(a) He is sent home.
(b) He kills himself.
(c) He can walk.
(d) He is censored.
6. Into where does Prior sneak?
(a) Sarah's room.
(b) The munitions factory.
(c) The officer's club.
(d) The racetrack.
7. What does Owen feel when leaving Sassoon?
(d) A great sense of loss.
8. What does Sassoon read to Owen?
(a) The book's dedication.
(b) A poem in the book.
(c) A poem Sassoon writes for Owen.
(d) A letter from Sassoon's father.
9. Why does Prior start feeling hostile towards Sarah?
(a) He thinks she just pities him.
(b) He thinks she wants him for his social standing.
(c) He is not hostile to her.
(d) He sees her as part of people who seek to have fun and pleasure all the time.
10. To whom is Sarah talking to at the opening to Chapter 17?
(a) Her mother.
11. What upsets Prior in Chapter 18?
(a) He is sent back to the front.
(b) He is told he has to stay in the hospital another six months.
(c) He is demoted.
(d) He is granted permanent home service.
12. Why is Charles Rivers' cat morose?
(a) From living on a farm full of birds the cat is not allowed to kill.
(b) There are three dogs to the one cat.
(c) The cat is declawed to protect the chickens.
(d) It is not morose.
13. Who did Siegfried's father "war"?
(b) Many enemy soldiers.
(c) Many a kestrel.
(d) A pigeon and a dove.
14. What sort of problem does Rivers remember he had as a child?
(a) Crossed eyes.
(b) A bad limp from polio.
15. What does Sarah's mother think of Sarah falling in love with Prior?
(a) That it is an opportunity if she can get him to marry her.
(b) That Sarah is confused.
(c) That Sarah is a fool.
(d) That Sarah is wise.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the "fathers" in the dedication?
2. Why does Prior want to return to the war?
3. What is Dr. Rivers doing in Chapter 20?
4. What is happening in August at the opening of Chapter 18?
5. About whom does Prior make a derogatory comment?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)