|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rivers spend much time doing while at the chicken farm?
(a) Remembering his childhood.
(b) Cleaning out cages.
(c) Reading fiction.
(d) Riding the one horse.
2. What does Prior believe Sarah should do?
(a) Meet his best friend.
(b) Not see him again.
(c) Pay him in some way for fighting for freedom.
(d) Marry him.
3. What upsets Prior in Chapter 18?
(a) He is told he has to stay in the hospital another six months.
(b) He is granted permanent home service.
(c) He is sent back to the front.
(d) He is demoted.
4. What has happened to Willard?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He is censored.
(c) He can walk.
(d) He is sent home.
5. What classes did Rivers' father used to teach?
(c) Speech therapy.
6. About whom does Prior make a derogatory comment?
7. Why does Sassoon do what he did in question 141?
(a) He is tired of waiting for a decision from the doctors.
(b) He pleads no contest.
(c) He marries the girl.
(d) He decides it's the best way to cure his memories.
8. Where do Owen and Sassoon meet?
(a) The forest near Craiglockhart.
(b) The basement of Craiglockhart.
(c) The Conservative Club.
(d) The pub in a nearby town.
9. What sort of problem does Rivers remember he had as a child?
(b) A bad limp from polio.
(d) Crossed eyes.
10. How does Burns seem to Dr. Rivers?
(b) Odd but sane.
(d) Burns acts as if he does not know Dr. Rivers.
11. Why does Prior want to return to the war?
(a) To pay back the enemy.
(b) To regain his memories completely.
(c) To bolster his chances in future politics.
(d) He does not want to return.
12. What does Sarah's mother think of Sarah falling in love with Prior?
(a) That Sarah is wise.
(b) That Sarah is confused.
(c) That it is an opportunity if she can get him to marry her.
(d) That Sarah is a fool.
13. What does Madge do at home?
(a) Attempts an abortion.
(b) Seduces an Air Force Captain.
(c) Commits suicide.
(d) Bakes a cake for Sarah to give Prior, but she has no baking powder.
14. Where does Dr. Rivers go on leave?
(a) To visit his brother on a chicken farm.
(b) To France.
(c) To Ireland.
(d) To the Mediterrean.
15. Why does Prior start feeling hostile towards Sarah?
(a) He thinks she just pities him.
(b) He thinks she wants him for his social standing.
(c) He sees her as part of people who seek to have fun and pleasure all the time.
(d) He is not hostile to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sarah's mother say men love?
2. To whom is Sarah talking to at the opening to Chapter 17?
3. Of what does Owen say his poem is symbolic?
4. How does Sarah's mother say a woman loves a man?
5. What is Owen's poem about?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)