|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Prior believe Sarah should do?
(a) Not see him again.
(b) Meet his best friend.
(c) Marry him.
(d) Pay him in some way for fighting for freedom.
2. What is Dr. Rivers doing in Chapter 20?
(a) Meeting with his lover.
(b) Writing a letter to his father.
(c) Writing his observations of Sassoon.
(d) Making his last rounds at Craiglockhart.
3. What does Sassoon realize about Dr. Rivers?
(a) Dr. Rivers holds the hospital together.
(b) Dr. Rivers is not sure what he is doing sometimes.
(c) Sassoon has adopted him as a father figure.
(d) Dr. Rivers gets too emotionally involved with the soldiers.
4. What surprises Prior when he sees Sarah in the daylight for the first time?
(a) How yellow her skin is.
(b) How bad her left hand shakes.
(c) That she cannot talk in full sentences without being breathless.
5. What is a first for Sarah and Prior?
(b) A fight.
(c) A misunderstanding about Prior's intentions.
6. Why does Prior want to return to the war?
(a) To bolster his chances in future politics.
(b) He does not want to return.
(c) To regain his memories completely.
(d) To pay back the enemy.
7. What does Sarah ask about at work?
(a) If any of the other women know Dr. Rivers.
(b) Where Madge is.
(c) Advice about continuing to date Prior.
(d) If any of the other women know Prior.
8. What does Madge do at home?
(a) Commits suicide.
(b) Attempts an abortion.
(c) Bakes a cake for Sarah to give Prior, but she has no baking powder.
(d) Seduces an Air Force Captain.
9. How does Sarah's mother say men love?
(b) In the way a fox loves a hare.
(d) In the way the sun loves the moon.
10. What does Rivers thinks Burns may do in a couple years?
(a) Become completely insane.
(b) He has not speculated.
(c) Kill himself.
(d) Make a decent recovery.
11. Who does Sassoon meet at a bar?
(c) Dr. Rivers.
12. How does Sarah's mother say a woman loves a man?
(a) In the way a tapeworm loves the gut.
(b) With total absorption.
(d) In the way a flower loves a bee.
13. Why does Sassoon do what he did in question 141?
(a) He decides it's the best way to cure his memories.
(b) He marries the girl.
(c) He pleads no contest.
(d) He is tired of waiting for a decision from the doctors.
14. Where do Sarah and Madge go?
(a) To volunteer for the woman's army corps.
(b) To see Madge's lover in the hospital.
(c) To find jobs in Birmingham.
(d) To find jobs in London.
15. What does Sassoon believe about one of Owen's poems?
(a) Its rhythm is uneven.
(b) Its subject matter is dull.
(c) It is rather mediocre.
(d) It is ready to be published nationally.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom does Prior make a derogatory comment?
2. Who does Sassoon see in the doorway when he wakes?
3. What does Sassoon have when he meets with Owen?
4. What is mimicked?
5. What is happening in August at the opening of Chapter 18?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)