|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Henry Head offer a job to Dr. Rivers?
(a) He has not offered Rivers a job.
(b) Central Hospital at Newarington.
(c) Central Hospital at Hampstead.
(d) Psychiatric hospital in Offingham.
2. What has happened to Willard?
(a) He kills himself.
(b) He is sent home.
(c) He is censored.
(d) He can walk.
3. Why is Charles Rivers' cat morose?
(a) The cat is declawed to protect the chickens.
(b) From living on a farm full of birds the cat is not allowed to kill.
(c) It is not morose.
(d) There are three dogs to the one cat.
4. What does Sarah's mother say happens in a condom factory?
(a) Men get revenge on women.
(b) One in ten condoms is deliberately compromised.
(c) She doesn't mention a condom factory.
(d) More sex than anywhere else.
5. What surprises Prior when he sees Sarah in the daylight for the first time?
(a) That she cannot talk in full sentences without being breathless.
(b) How bad her left hand shakes.
(d) How yellow her skin is.
6. What happens to Madge's unborn baby?
(a) It dies from the shrapnel wound.
(b) It aborts, probably from the side effects of the munitions powder.
(c) It dies from the flu Madge has and they have to do a C section.
(d) It survives.
7. Where do Sarah and Madge go?
(a) To find jobs in London.
(b) To find jobs in Birmingham.
(c) To see Madge's lover in the hospital.
(d) To volunteer for the woman's army corps.
8. What does Rivers spend much time doing while at the chicken farm?
(a) Cleaning out cages.
(b) Riding the one horse.
(c) Remembering his childhood.
(d) Reading fiction.
9. Where does Dr. Rivers go on leave?
(a) To France.
(b) To Ireland.
(c) To the Mediterrean.
(d) To visit his brother on a chicken farm.
10. Of what does Owen say his poem is symbolic?
(a) The reasons for the start of the war.
(b) Dr. Brock's view of the patients at Craiglockhart.
(d) The prince whose assassination starts the war.
11. Into where does Prior sneak?
(a) The racetrack.
(b) The munitions factory.
(c) The officer's club.
(d) Sarah's room.
12. What is the purpose of Dr. Rivers' brother having a chicken farm?
(a) As a social experiment.
(b) To be out in the fresh air a lot.
(c) To please their parents.
(d) To please his wife.
13. What is Owen's poem about?
(a) Hercules and Antaeus.
(c) Achilles and Hector.
(d) Helen of Troy.
14. What is happening in August at the opening of Chapter 18?
(a) An armistice.
(b) Dr. Rivers is reassigned.
(c) The medical boards.
(d) Another front has opened up in France.
15. What does Sarah ask about at work?
(a) Where Madge is.
(b) If any of the other women know Dr. Rivers.
(c) If any of the other women know Prior.
(d) Advice about continuing to date Prior.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sassoon on his way to see at the end of Chapter 18?
2. From where does Sassoon get his name?
3. How does Burns seem to Dr. Rivers?
4. What is a first for Sarah and Prior?
5. Why is Prior embarrassed?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)