|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the letter Dr. Rivers is reading at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Robert Graves.
2. Where does Burns sit naked?
(a) In a circle made by the dead animals.
(b) In a trench full of dead men.
(c) On top of the altar.
(d) In a circle made by the vampires.
3. About what is Sassoon disappointed?
(a) That his Declaration is dismissed.
(b) That he cannot get back into the war.
(c) That his Declaration is taken too seriously.
(d) That he is to be discharged.
4. What does Dr. Rivers believe should be used as a last resort?
(a) Shock therapy.
(c) Gesalt therapy.
5. What happens to Burns at the mess hall?
(a) He falls asleep and his face falls in his food.
(b) He is attacked by another patient.
(c) He gets sick.
(d) Nothing happens.
6. Who does Dr. Rivers see after supper?
(a) No one; Rivers is off duty.
7. How does Sassoon feel towards civilians?
(a) He envies them.
(b) He hates them.
(c) He likes them.
(d) He is indifferent to them.
8. How does Prior respond to Rivers' offer to hypnotize him?
(a) He says he agrees but only if Rivers does not reveal anything to anyone else.
(b) He is quite anxious to have it done.
(c) He is reluctant but agrees.
(d) He says no way.
9. What was Anderson's former occupation?
(a) Aide de camp.
(b) Ship captain.
(c) Ship's loblolly boy.
(d) War surgeon.
10. What does Prior want of Dr. Rivers?
(a) An assignment to a private room.
(c) For Rivers to talk with Prior's father.
(d) To be hypnotized.
11. About what do the two men talk?
(a) Their romantic encounters.
(b) War scars.
(c) Their family history.
(d) Their financial standing.
12. What does the boy a couple beds away from Sassoon have in a previous hospitalization experience?
(a) A wound that emasculates him.
(b) A missing nose.
(c) A hole through the top of his skull.
(d) A missing eyeball.
13. What does Prior ask of Dr. Rivers again?
(a) For a discharge.
(b) For hypnosis.
(c) For a pass to go home for a few days.
(d) For release to go back to the front.
14. What does Williard believe about himself?
(a) The war is over.
(b) He is a General of the Army.
(c) He is paralyzed from the waist down.
(d) He is the King of England.
15. What mental state is more common for enlisted men than officers?
(c) Suicidal tendencies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sassoon do when he arrives at the steps into the hospital?
2. Who is Dr. Rivers interviewing at the opening to Chapter 4?
3. What book has Prior been reading?
4. What has been keeping the entire floor at the hospital awake at night?
5. Who is Second-lieutenant Prior?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)