|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Brock suggest to Dr. Rivers?
(a) That he should leave Sassoon alone.
(b) That he should take more relaxation time.
(c) That he should resign.
(d) That he should request reassignment.
2. Who is Broadbent?
(a) A new doctor at the hospital.
(b) A new nurse.
(c) The new hospital administrator.
(d) A new patient at the hospital.
3. What do most of the people believe who read Sassoon's Declaration?
(a) That it is written by someone besides Sassoon.
(b) That it has some good arguments.
(c) That it is treasonous.
(d) That it is the ravings of a man in the throes of a breakdown.
4. Why does Graves miss the train?
(a) He decided not to come.
(b) He was transferred.
(c) He broke his leg.
(d) He is late.
5. What book has Prior been reading?
(a) Dr. Rivers' book on hypnosis.
(b) A comic book.
(c) A book on hypochondria.
(d) A book about the paranormal.
6. Who comes to visit at the hospital?
(a) Burns's mother.
(b) Prior's parents.
(c) Sassoon's father.
(d) Dr. River's parents.
7. What does Rivers tell Bryce about Sassoon?
(a) He was impressed by him and likes him.
(b) He didn't care for his arrogance.
(c) He is just a coward.
(d) He is probably crazy.
8. About what do the two men talk?
(a) Their financial standing.
(b) Their family history.
(c) War scars.
(d) Their romantic encounters.
9. Into what does Dr. Rivers get some insight?
(a) Prior's earlier life.
(b) The way hypnotism can be inaccurate.
(c) The way the mind can fool itself.
(d) Burns' earlier life.
10. Who does Broadbent want to visit?
(a) His uncle.
(b) His mother.
(c) His sweetheart.
(d) His own doctor.
11. What is missing from Sassoon's uniform?
(a) A button.
(b) A medal for valor.
(c) His unit patch.
(d) His rank designator.
12. How does Prior wake up most of the people in the hospital?
(a) He yells at the nurse in the hallway.
(b) He has a nightmare.
(c) He bangs on patients' doors.
(d) He plays his trumpet down the halls.
13. How does Prior appear at the opening of Chapter 8?
(a) Worn thin.
(c) Healthy and alert.
14. What does Prior find when he returns to the fire bay after a shell hits it?
(a) The ruined remains of two soldiers who were making tea.
(b) There is nothing there.
(c) Bits and pieces of six men which he can't sort out.
(d) A conflagration.
15. What is Dr. Rivers' response to Prior's request?
(a) He refuses it.
(b) He says the private rooms are only for the violent patients.
(c) He says Prior is not eligible for a discharge.
(d) He calls Prior's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Prior apologize to Rivers?
2. Where does Prior go?
3. What does Prior not remember?
4. Why is Prior worried?
5. What does Rivers think about as he prepares to sleep the night of Prior's hypnotism?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)