|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT one of the adjectives Sontag uses to describe the indescribable experience of war?
2. Which work of literature does Sontag cite as evidence that war was once seen as part of a man's life?
(a) The Odyssey.
(b) The Aeneid.
(c) The Republic.
(d) The Iliad.
3. Contemporary society, at the time Sontag wrote the book, unanimously witnessed a rise of which of the following in the media?
(a) War protest.
(b) Violence and sexuality.
(c) Sadism and sexuality.
(d) Violence and sadism.
4. Which of the following is an account of a man's last hours before his execution at the guillotine?
(a) "The Green Mile."
(b) "The Ascent."
(c) "The Hours."
(d) "The Execution of Troppmann."
5. The West had a long tradition of viewing war as which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sontag claims that no one has a right to which of the following?
2. Sontag cites William Hazlitt's claim that sympathy is no more a part of human nature than is which of the following?
3. _______ is a classic use for the camera.
4. Sarajevans were angered by a photography exhibit which featured photographs of their suffering alongside images of which other country's people?
5. Which Dreiser novel does Sontag reference in the final chapter?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)