|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sontag writes that provocative images may have which of the following effects on viewers?
(a) Provocative images may spur viewers to examine how their own privileges are possible through the suffering of others.
(b) Provocative images of suffering may incite humanitarian actions to end exploitative actions.
(c) Provocative images of suffering may compel viewers to stop subscribing to newspapers for fear of seeing more disturbing photographs.
(d) Provocative images of suffering may enable a deep sense of human empathy.
2. Which Dreiser novel does Sontag reference in the final chapter?
(a) "The Crucible."
(b) "Sister of War."
(c) "Death of a Salesman."
(d) "An American Tragedy."
3. Modern society, Sontag argues, is a "society of _______".
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the adjectives Sontag uses to describe the indescribable experience of war?
5. Sontag argues that there are two extreme positions on a spectrum of war experience which create the same idea that images of war are no longer emotionally-jarring for an audience? Which two positions are they?
(a) Unexperienced cynics and the war-weary.
(b) Victims and perpetrators of atrocity.
(c) Soldiers and civilians of war-torn regions.
(d) Scholars and politicians.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sontag, if one feels sympathy for the victims of suffering, it helps ensure that one cannot be ___________.
2. Although images were more prevalent, which of the following was NOT also true?
3. _______ is a modern development in camera use.
4. Sontag claims that the model for public space in modern society is which of the following?
5. Sontag presents her own objection to Salgado's "Migrations." Why does Sontag criticize Salgado's work?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)