|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two things does Sontag say seem to go together?
(a) Heartlessness and amnesia.
(b) Amnesia and trauma.
(c) Death and heartlessness.
(d) Trauma and memory.
2. Sontag claims that compassion requires which of the following in order to remain?
3. Sontag discusses another common belief regarding media coverage of an event, and suggested that it may seem to contradict the first common belief she addresses. What is this second idea?
(a) The media sensationalizes stories of atrocity.
(b) Overexposure to images in the media makes people callous.
(c) Repeated images in the media exhaust our ability to prevent new atrocities.
(d) Limited exposure diminishes the impact the images have on an audience.
4. Which of the following is an account of a man's last hours before his execution at the guillotine?
(a) "The Green Mile."
(b) "The Execution of Troppmann."
(c) "The Hours."
(d) "The Ascent."
5. Sarajevans were angered by a photography exhibit which featured photographs of their suffering alongside images of which other country's people?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sontag, Wall's photograph may have been an updated version of which infamous image from the First World War?
2. Which of the following does Sontag suggest is an ethical act?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the adjectives Sontag uses to describe the indescribable experience of war?
4. In discussing images that remind us of death, Sontag references a particular 1943 photograph. What is the subject of this photograph?
5. Sontag claims that witnessing atrocity through images is not much different than witnessing them in person. What does she say these activities had in common?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)