|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Discussing the common person's ability to feel sympathy, Sontag argues which of the following?
(a) People will do anything to keep from being moved by what they see.
(b) People will naturally feel empathy, but will quickly distance themselves because society has programmed them to avoid involvement.
(c) People will instinctually distance themselves from suffering.
(d) People will automatically feel sympathy for victims of atrocity.
2. Sontag suggests that Plato anticipated which of the following psychological models?
(a) Jung's archetypes.
(b) Freud's id, ego and superego.
(c) Skinner's box.
(d) Pavlov's classical conditioning.
3. Which of the following terms does Sontag define as a commonly used term for those whose profession like journalists takes them into war zones?
(a) Atrocity tourism.
(b) War tourism.
(c) Conflict exploitation.
(d) War voyeurism.
4. In order to take pleasure in suffering, Sontag argues that one must necessarily have which of the following?
(a) Deep seated feelings of misanthropy.
(b) A sadistic streak characteristic of serial killers.
(c) A sense of moral or intellectual superiority.
(d) Distance from the source of suffering.
5. Using the example of Ground Zero, Sontag argues that photographs have the power to do which of the following to their subject?
(a) Elevate it to something venerable.
(b) Capture the unseen in it.
(c) Transform it to something beautiful.
(d) Degrade it to something consumable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sontag suggests that it is still possible to "feel the pulse of Christian iconography" in much war photography. Which famous work of art does she suggest can be seen in W. Eugene Smith's photograph of the woman in Minamata cradling her child?
2. Sontag argues that there are two extreme positions on a spectrum of war experience which create the same idea that images of war are no longer emotionally-jarring for an audience? Which two positions are they?
3. Overall, Sontag seems to believe that images are ultimately which of the following?
4. Sontag claims that Bataille could see extreme pain as a form of __________.
5. In transforming an event or person into something that can be owned, photographs:
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)