|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sontag claims that Jacques Callot's 1633 painting, "The Miseries and Misfortunes of War" was unprecedented for which of the following reasons?
(a) The painting was the first anti-war protest work.
(b) The painting portrayed shocking violence and bloodshed.
(c) The painting glorified the horrors of war.
(d) The painting emphasized the savagery of the conquering army.
2. Audiences may question the veracity of photographs because:
(a) Photojournalists are unreliable.
(b) Images can be staged or manipulated.
(c) Anyone can photograph an event.
(d) Newspapers and magazines caption the images.
3. Sontag argues that we are most disappointed to discover that which type of photographs have been staged?
(a) Images depicting everyday life.
(b) Images depicting spontaneous events.
(c) Images depicting gory battle scenes.
(d) Images depicting intimate climaxes.
4. In its early days, photography was thought to:
(a) Represent objective truth.
(b) Glorify scenes of suffering.
(c) Diminish the emotional impact of an event.
(d) Depict a single, biased point of view.
5. According to Sontag, "to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to _______".
Short Answer Questions
1. Restrictions on media coverage of the British campaign in the Falklands was notable for which of the following reasons?
2. Which of the following is true about representations of the dead or dying in American media?
3. Images of the Gulf War were filtered to portray the "techno war." The public was exposed to only those images that portrayed which of the following sentiments?
4. Sontag argues that a photograph by which of these photographers triggered mass outcry against the Vietnam War?
5. Which of the following thinkers argued that people take "no small" delight in witnessing the suffering of others?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)