|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Events enter the collective memory, not by a natural process of remembering but by:
(a) Subconscious selection.
(b) Government propaganda.
(c) Active designation of significance.
(d) Repeated exposure.
2. Sontag notes that post-colonial Africa is most commonly known to the American public based on a series of which of the following groups of images?
(a) Images of American aid groups, support-a-child network assistants, and refugee camps.
(b) Photographs of the famine fields of Biafra, the Rwandan genocide, and the AIDS epidemic.
(c) Images of post-war development and national improvement.
(d) Still images of freedom fighters, revolutionary independence movements, and guerrilla insurgencies.
3. "The Killing Fields" depicts which of the following?
(a) The mass deaths during the Spanish Civil War.
(b) The casualties of Bunker Hill.
(c) The atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge.
(d) The dead and dying of the Korean War.
4. Sontag argues that which of the following effects keeps the television viewer's attention "light", "mobile" and fairly "indifferent" to the images on the screen?
(b) Media coverage.
5. Although the camera captures the scene in front of it, Sontag suggests that the ______ may manipulate the image.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true about representations of the dead or dying in American media?
2. Sontag argues that many people thought that which of the following makes war seem "real"?
3. Fenton received directions from the War Office to do which of the following?
4. Krieg dem Kriege contains images captioned in which four languages?
5. Sontag compares the desire for images of people in pain to which other recurrent type of image?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)