|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following images was often thought to represent a mother, looking tellingly into the sky during an air raid of the Spanish Civil War?
(a) "War Against War!"
(c) "Land Distribution Meeting, Extremadura, Spain, 1936"
(d) "Mother and Child, Barcelona, Spain, 1936"
2. According to Sontag, if one feels sympathy for the victims of suffering, it helps ensure that one cannot be ___________.
(a) Responsible for or complicit in the suffering.
(b) A sadistic voyeur.
(c) An objective observer.
(d) A heartless bystander.
3. Photographic representations of the Vietnam War was essential to promoting:
(a) The anti-war movement.
(b) Patriotic sentiment.
(c) New methods of communication.
(d) International relations.
4. The mass media bombarded viewers with shocking images because:
(a) These images received the highest interest ratings in viewer polls.
(b) People secretly enjoy images of mass destruction.
(c) The public demanded the uncensored truth.
(d) They were more likely to stand out from the countless images people saw every day.
5. Sontag suggests that a catastrophic event that is experienced in real life. . .
(a) "will often seem eerily like its representation."
(b) "does not often seem to be happening."
(c) "induces more stress when it is televised."
(d) "causes greater pain than one that is experienced on television."
Short Answer Questions
1. Sontag, confirming Walter Lippmann's assertion, argues that photography replaced which of the following media for representing the truth?
2. Sontag suggests that it is still possible to "feel the pulse of Christian iconography" in much war photography. Which famous work of art does she suggest can be seen in W. Eugene Smith's photograph of the woman in Minamata cradling her child?
3. Although the camera captures the scene in front of it, Sontag suggests that the ______ may manipulate the image.
4. Recalling traditions of the 16th and 17th century, Sontag claims that printing images of dark-skinned people in moments of suffering or pain is part of a long tradition of which of the following?
5. Sontag criticizes American portrayals of U.S. military strategy, saying that war museums do not emphasize which of the following?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)