|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Audiences may question the veracity of photographs because:
(a) Newspapers and magazines caption the images.
(b) Images can be staged or manipulated.
(c) Photojournalists are unreliable.
(d) Anyone can photograph an event.
2. Sontag claims that shock used for rhetorical purposes can become _________.
3. Sontag compares the desire for images of people in pain to which other recurrent type of image?
(a) Images of natural disasters.
(b) Images of love.
(c) Images of nude bodies.
(d) Images of happiness.
4. The Brady war pictures were taken of which of the following wars?
(a) The Crimean War.
(b) The Spanish Civil War.
(c) World War I.
(d) The American Civil War.
5. The Brady group's approach to war photography differed from Fenton's approach in which of the following ways?
(a) The Brady group photographed the war without government permission, while Fenton had permission for his work.
(b) The Brady group had permission to access the fields, while Fenton did not.
(c) The Brady group was commissioned by the government, while Fenton was not.
(d) The Brady group was not commissioned by the government, while Fenton was.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sontag, why do images of atrocities fail to convey a singular, universal message?
2. Sontag argues that a photograph by which of these photographers triggered mass outcry against the Vietnam War?
3. Sontag discusses the use of images of the dead to bolster hatred of the enemy. Which of the following recent events, aired on the Al Jazeera network, does she use as an example?
4. Underneath feelings of apathy, Sontag contends are which of the following feelings?
5. According to Sontag, people are less responsive to images of violence in which of the following contexts?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)