|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sontag argues that a photograph by which of these photographers triggered mass outcry against the Vietnam War?
(a) Ernst Friedrich.
(b) Larry Burroughs.
(c) Robert Capa.
(d) Henri Cartier-Bresson.
2. Which Virginia Woolf book does Sontag discuss in detail?
(b) Three Guineas.
(c) The Hours.
(d) Mrs. Dalloway.
3. Which of the following pairs of images appeared side-by-side in a 1937 issue of "Life"?
(a) A dying Republican soldier and a mother holding her child while looking at the sky.
(b) A mother holding her child while looking at the sky and Vitalis men's hair cream.
(c) The bombing of Guernica and Vitalis men's hair cream.
(d) A dying Republican soldier and Vitalis men's hair cream.
4. Sontag mentions many factors which influence the way audiences receive war photography. Which of the following was NOT one of those factors?
5. Goya's "Los Desastres de la Guerra" (The Disasters of War) was a series of etchings published in 1863. Which of the following events does this series depict?
(a) The Spanish Civil War.
(b) Napoleon's invasion of Spain.
(c) World War I.
(d) The bombing of Guernica.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sontag, _________ also influences the public's perception of war.
2. Which technological advancement changed the way war was photographed after World War I?
3. Sontag, confirming Walter Lippmann's assertion, argues that photography replaced which of the following media for representing the truth?
4. Sontag argues that witnessing war atrocities from afar is a unique experience characteristic of:
5. Sontag lists many effects of photographs depicting war victims. Which of the following was not one of the effects she lists?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)