|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Audiences may question the veracity of photographs because:
(a) Newspapers and magazines caption the images.
(b) Photojournalists are unreliable.
(c) Anyone can photograph an event.
(d) Images can be staged or manipulated.
2. Which famous surrealist thinker does Sontag quote as saying "Beauty will be convulsive, or it will not be?"
(a) Virginia Woolf.
(b) Salvador Dali.
(c) Pablo Picasso.
(d) Andre Breton.
3. According to Sontag, anti-war sentiment:
(a) Produced peace.
(b) Overcame the militarized frenzy of the war years.
(c) Was considered treasonous.
(d) Emerged in the arts across Europe after World War I.
4. Which technological advancement changed the way war was photographed after World War I?
(a) Lighting equipment.
(b) Lightweight cameras.
5. Sontag mentions many factors which influence the way audiences receive war photography. Which of the following was NOT one of those factors?
Short Answer Questions
1. Sontag argues that witnessing war atrocities from afar is a unique experience characteristic of:
2. Which antiwar book which shows images from German military archives does Sontag reference?
3. In discussing the difference gender makes in perceptions of war, Sontag agrees with which of the following authors?
4. Which was the first war to be "covered" by professional war journalists at the front lines?
5. Sontag suggests that a catastrophic event that is experienced in real life. . .
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)