|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Andy Warhol silk screened which of the following images of war as his only direct statement about the atrocity of war?
(a) The mushroom cloud of the a-bomb.
(b) The raising of the flag at Iwo Jima.
(c) The death of the suspected Vietcong member.
(d) The barren wasteland of trench warfare.
2. Sontag argues that many people thought that which of the following makes war seem "real"?
3. In discussing the difference gender makes in perceptions of war, Sontag agrees with which of the following authors?
(a) Virginia Woolf.
(b) Henry James.
(c) Tyler Hicks.
(d) Joyce Carol Oates.
4. Sontag lists many effects of photographs depicting war victims. Which of the following was not one of the effects she lists?
(a) "They reiterate."
(b) "They create the illusion of consensus."
(c) "They simplify."
(d) "They inspire."
5. Although images were more prevalent, which of the following was NOT also true?
(a) Humanity became oversensitive to images of suffering.
(b) People's reactions to the images were greater.
(c) People's understanding of atrocity increased.
(d) The human capacity to absorb the images of suffering increased.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sontag refutes the possibility of a suggestion she made in "On Photography". Which of the following ideas did she refute?
2. Which was the first war to be "covered" by professional war journalists at the front lines?
3. Which painting does Sontag "find it difficult" to look at?
4. Sontag suggests that it is still possible to "feel the pulse of Christian iconography" in much war photography. Which famous work of art does she suggest can be seen in W. Eugene Smith's photograph of the woman in Minamata cradling her child?
5. Audiences may question the veracity of photographs because:
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)