|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The footage from a 1898 charge of Colonel Roosevelt's volunteer cavalry, the Rough Riders, was replaced with film of a staged charge later for which of the following reasons?
(a) The lighting on the day of the event was insufficient.
(b) The footage of the actual event was not dramatic enough.
(c) The photographer lost the film reel.
(d) Colonel Roosevelt was unsatisfied with the footage.
2. Sontag claims that "good taste" is always _________ when invoked by institutions.
(a) A decision made in the interest of freedom.
(b) A way to maintain appearances.
(c) A measure to protect the public.
(d) A repressive standard.
3. Sontag cites William Hazlitt's claim that sympathy is no more a part of human nature than is which of the following?
(a) Fear of death.
(b) Fear of pain.
(c) Love of power.
(d) Love of cruelty.
4. Sontag corrects her earlier argument by claiming that which of the following is eroded by modern media saturation?
(a) Human decency.
(b) Human empathy.
(c) Sense of reality.
(d) Sense of urgency.
5. The Brady war pictures were taken of which of the following wars?
(a) The Crimean War.
(b) World War I.
(c) The American Civil War.
(d) The Spanish Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which was the first war to be covered by television cameras?
2. Which painting does Sontag "find it difficult" to look at?
3. Sontag criticizes American portrayals of U.S. military strategy, saying that war museums do not emphasize which of the following?
4. Sontag insists that images may be ineffective; however, they do serve one basic and significant function. What is that function?
5. Sontag notes that although museums remembering atrocities are common practice, there is no museum in the United States dedicated to which of the following atrocities?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)