|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sontag claims that images of suffering in Africa send a double message. Which of the following best represents that message?
(a) The suffering depicted in the photographs was inhumane and should be prevented; however, it is to be expected of a place like Africa.
(b) Suffering like this only happens in backward places like Africa; thus, America and other developed nations are clearly superior.
(c) Places like Africa always face horrors like this; therefore, intervention is a waste of resources.
(d) Violence is abhorrent in any case; therefore, we must interfene to stop such atrocities.
2. Sontag calls for the reader's sympathy for the wounded Taliban soldier whose pain graced the cover of "The New York Times" by suggesting which of the following?
(a) The man's suffering should be a private affair.
(b) The man was a human being.
(c) The man's loved ones would discover the images one day.
(d) The man deserved greater respect for serving his government in war.
3. Sontag argues that the most extensive kind of censorship is which of the following?
(a) Government censorship.
(b) The self-censorship of broadcast companies.
(c) The censorship implied by public sensibility.
(d) Military censorship.
4. Sontag argues that a photograph by which of these photographers triggered mass outcry against the Vietnam War?
(a) Larry Burroughs.
(b) Henri Cartier-Bresson.
(c) Robert Capa.
(d) Ernst Friedrich.
5. According to Sontag, photographs of atrocities are best received if they are:
(a) So artistically simple as to seem uncomposed.
(b) Close-ups of compelling scenes.
(c) Well-lit and high-contrast.
(d) Images of familiar places or people.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of World War II, a group of journalists formed Magnum Photo Agency. Which of the following photographers was not among them?
2. Discussing the "co-spectatorship" and "indecency" of the image of the Vietcong suspect's execution, Sontag asserts which of the following?
3. Sontag criticizes American portrayals of U.S. military strategy, saying that war museums do not emphasize which of the following?
4. According to Sontag, photojournalism was used post-9/11 to:
5. Sontag claims that Jacques Callot's 1633 painting, "The Miseries and Misfortunes of War" was unprecedented for which of the following reasons?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)