|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Images of the Gulf War were filtered to portray the "techno war." The public was exposed to only those images that portrayed which of the following sentiments?
(a) American military mercy.
(b) American military superiority over the enemy.
(c) Wondrous technological advancements.
(d) Savagery of conventional warfare, compared to American techno war.
2. Sontag compares the desire for images of people in pain to which other recurrent type of image?
(a) Images of love.
(b) Images of happiness.
(c) Images of nude bodies.
(d) Images of natural disasters.
3. Discussing the "co-spectatorship" and "indecency" of the image of the Vietcong suspect's execution, Sontag asserts which of the following?
(a) General Loan was unaware of the cameras at the time of the execution.
(b) The shooting would not have occurred in the absence of journalists to record it.
(c) The photographer arranged the execution in advance.
(d) The presence of journalists was an invasion of the executed man's privacy.
4. Which was the first war to be "covered" by professional war journalists at the front lines?
(a) World War I.
(b) The Spanish Civil War.
(c) The American Civil War.
(d) World War II.
5. Sontag lists which of the following as images that the artist "takes"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In transforming an event or person into something that can be owned, photographs:
2. At the end of World War II, a group of journalists formed Magnum Photo Agency. Which of the following photographers was not among them?
3. Although the camera captures the scene in front of it, Sontag suggests that the ______ may manipulate the image.
4. Goya's "Los Desastres de la Guerra" (The Disasters of War) was a series of etchings published in 1863. Which of the following events does this series depict?
5. The Brady group's approach to war photography differed from Fenton's approach in which of the following ways?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)