|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sontag discusses another common belief regarding media coverage of an event, and suggested that it may seem to contradict the first common belief she addresses. What is this second idea?
(a) Overexposure to images in the media makes people callous.
(b) Limited exposure diminishes the impact the images have on an audience.
(c) Repeated images in the media exhaust our ability to prevent new atrocities.
(d) The media sensationalizes stories of atrocity.
2. Which of the following poets expressed concerns about the effect of national-scale events on human sensibility in 1800?
3. Which of the following is true about representations of the dead or dying in American media?
(a) American news media applies the same standards of decency to all victims, regardless of country of origin.
(b) FCC laws prohibit the printing of images including the faces of war victims.
(c) The faces of the dead and dying from "exotic" places are more likely to be shown.
(d) American journalism favors American subjects, often overlooking people in "remote" places.
4. Although the camera captures the scene in front of it, Sontag suggests that the ______ may manipulate the image.
5. Sontag, confirming Walter Lippmann's assertion, argues that photography replaced which of the following media for representing the truth?
(a) Religious texts such as the Bible.
(b) Scientific studies.
(c) Eye-witness testimonies.
(d) Artistic representations such as paintings or drawings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sontag argues that journalists who photograph war are often received with resistance. She suggests that the desire to capture images of suffering is often described in which of the following ways?
2. The West had a long tradition of viewing war as which of the following?
3. Discussing the "co-spectatorship" and "indecency" of the image of the Vietcong suspect's execution, Sontag asserts which of the following?
4. Sontag claims that American journalists have always followed one tacit prohibition. What have American journalists always avoided?
5. To whom did the "Here Is New York" exhibit donate the proceeds?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)