|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sontag discusses one year in European history in which the photograph was able to truly capture the nature of human atrocities. Which year was it?
2. Sontag claims that images of suffering in Africa send a double message. Which of the following best represents that message?
(a) Suffering like this only happens in backward places like Africa; thus, America and other developed nations are clearly superior.
(b) The suffering depicted in the photographs was inhumane and should be prevented; however, it is to be expected of a place like Africa.
(c) Violence is abhorrent in any case; therefore, we must interfene to stop such atrocities.
(d) Places like Africa always face horrors like this; therefore, intervention is a waste of resources.
3. At the end of World War II, a group of journalists formed Magnum Photo Agency. Which of the following photographers was not among them?
(a) Ernst Friedrich.
(b) David Seymour.
(c) Henri Cartier-Bresson.
(d) Robert Capa.
4. Which of the following terms does Sontag define as a commonly used term for those whose profession like journalists takes them into war zones?
(a) War voyeurism.
(b) Atrocity tourism.
(c) Conflict exploitation.
(d) War tourism.
5. Sontag argues that the most extensive kind of censorship is which of the following?
(a) The censorship implied by public sensibility.
(b) Military censorship.
(c) Government censorship.
(d) The self-censorship of broadcast companies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sontag discusses the subtitle of "Here is New York" in some detail. What was this subtitle?
2. According to Sontag, photographs of atrocities are best received if they are:
3. Sontag argues that creating lasting interest in war image requires which of the following?
4. Sontag argues that many people thought that which of the following makes war seem "real"?
5. Although the camera captures the scene in front of it, Sontag suggests that the ______ may manipulate the image.
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)