|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who told Diane she had many years left to live?
2. How did the thing Terry cooked for Hank's birthday turn out?
3. Who went with Terry while Mimi got her cancer treatment?
4. What did Terry feel while standing next to the river in the Meadowlarks chapter?
5. Who told Terry about the comet she got to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Terry see at Telegraph Cove?
2. What did Diane say after her second intestinal surgery?
3. Why was seeing the comet so special to Terry?
4. What did Diane try to convince her family to do when she was given one year left to live?
5. What did Terry do on Hank's birthday for the dinner, and why?
6. What did Terry think when Diane shared some childhood memories on her anniversary?
7. What did the magpies disrupt in Terry's life?
8. What did Terry say about how cancer patients die?
9. What happened while Terry was on the Native American excursion?
10. What was most touching to Terry on the Christmas when Diane had a glucose IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which people were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Terry write so much about cancer at the end of the book? What message was she trying to send here?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)