|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the author's mother to use chemotherapy?
2. What is the name of the author's brother?
3. Where was the author working during her mother's chemotherapy treatments?
4. What killed the wheat fields of the early Mormon pioneers?
5. Who was the outlaw referred to in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author compare starlings to, and why?
2. What did Terry do when she saw a dead swan?
3. Why was Chapter 7 entitled Peregrine Falcon?
4. Why did the author take such a deep interest in nature?
5. What was the United Order?
6. Why didn't Diane ever come to love birds?
7. What was the big news in the Yellow Headed Blackbird chapter?
8. What did the author talk about at the beginning of the chapter entitled Barn Swallows?
9. Why did the author say she liked to go to the dump?
10. What is similar in each chapter of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some things you learned about the Mormon church while reading this book?
Essay Topic 2
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which people were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 3
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)