|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author go somewhere after her mother's surgery?
2. How many species of birds use the refuge?
3. What did Diane spot at Bear River that was rare?
4. How many options were available when the lake exceeded the limits?
5. How old was the author when she joined the Audubon Society?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author take such a deep interest in nature?
2. What did Terry do with her mother in the Killdeer chapter?
3. What was the United Order?
4. What caused the LDS prophet to end church meetings one Sunday?
5. What did the author and her mother do when they got news of the tumor?
6. Why didn't Diane ever come to love birds?
7. What did Terry think about while at the funeral of a family friend?
8. What was the government trying to do in the chapter entitled Redheads?
9. What did the author talk about at the beginning of the chapter entitled Barn Swallows?
10. What was the big news in the Yellow Headed Blackbird chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of people. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the people in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What are some things you learned about the Mormon church while reading this book?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)