|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author learn from her mother while she was sick?
2. When did the author usually speak to her mother?
3. How does the author describe the Great Salt Lake?
4. Why did Terry compare someone to Antelope Island?
5. What chance of survival did Diane have during radiation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Chapter 7 entitled Peregrine Falcon?
2. What is similar in each chapter of this book?
3. What was the government trying to do in the chapter entitled Redheads?
4. What did Terry do with her mother in the Killdeer chapter?
5. What did the author compare her mother to during her chemotherapy treatment?
6. Why did the author take such a deep interest in nature?
7. How do burrowing owls usually make their homes?
8. What did the author and her mother do when they got news of the tumor?
9. What caused the LDS prophet to end church meetings one Sunday?
10. What did the author talk about at the beginning of the chapter entitled Barn Swallows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What was Terry's profession, and how did this shape her daily decisions?
Essay Topic 3
Diane and Terry are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)