|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the author go after her mother's surgery?
2. Who did Diane know with a brain tumor?
3. What did the author say she gauged her life by?
4. How many species of birds use the refuge?
5. What did Terry want to communicate with in the Pink Flamingos chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author compare starlings to, and why?
2. What was the government trying to do in the chapter entitled Redheads?
3. What did the author talk about at the beginning of the chapter entitled Barn Swallows?
4. What did the author compare her mother to during her chemotherapy treatment?
5. Why did the author take such a deep interest in nature?
6. What medical procedure did Terry undergo while her mother was in radiation?
7. Why was Chapter 7 entitled Peregrine Falcon?
8. What did Terry compare the pelican fishing to?
9. What was the big news in the Yellow Headed Blackbird chapter?
10. What is similar in each chapter of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Terry endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)