|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Diane Dixon Tempest in 1971?
2. Where did Diane go swimming while she was still sick?
3. What climate did the author learn about while in the Audubon Society?
4. What makes the Great Salt Lake freezable?
5. What did the author say she gauged her life by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the LDS prophet to end church meetings one Sunday?
2. What is similar in each chapter of this book?
3. How did Terry feel when birds were displaced from the refuge?
4. What did Terry think about while at the funeral of a family friend?
5. What was the government trying to do in the chapter entitled Redheads?
6. What did Terry do with her mother in the Killdeer chapter?
7. What was the United Order?
8. What did the author discuss at the beginning of the chapter entitled Peregrine Falcon?
9. What did Terry love about Gunnison Island?
10. What was the big news in the Yellow Headed Blackbird chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which people were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
Terry endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of people. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the people in the book?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)