|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information did the author give at the beginning of each chapter?
2. Where did the author's mother have a tumor?
3. What did the author learn from her mother while she was sick?
4. What chance of survival did Diane have during radiation?
5. What was the third option for when the lake exceeded the limits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why didn't Diane ever come to love birds?
2. What is similar in each chapter of this book?
3. What was the United Order?
4. What did the author compare starlings to, and why?
5. What was the big news in the Yellow Headed Blackbird chapter?
6. How do burrowing owls usually make their homes?
7. What did Terry love about Gunnison Island?
8. What did Terry do when she saw a dead swan?
9. What did the author and her mother do when they got news of the tumor?
10. Why was Chapter 7 entitled Peregrine Falcon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Power and greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
Terry presented a very interesting and unique philosophy on life. What was this philosophy, and how did this different idealism affect the people around her?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the examples of comic relief in this book, and how do they affect the tone of the plot?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)