|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the author's family do for vacations when she was a child?
2. Which of these is a title Terry used for the Great Salt Lake?
3. What did the author test about the Great Salt Lake?
4. Where did the author learn about the Great Salt Lake?
5. How does the author describe the Great Salt Lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author talk about at the beginning of the chapter entitled Barn Swallows?
2. Why was Chapter 7 entitled Peregrine Falcon?
3. What did Terry think about while at the funeral of a family friend?
4. What did the author compare starlings to, and why?
5. What did Terry love about Gunnison Island?
6. How did Terry feel when birds were displaced from the refuge?
7. What is similar in each chapter of this book?
8. How do burrowing owls usually make their homes?
9. What was the government trying to do in the chapter entitled Redheads?
10. What did the author do at the dump when she went there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Terry's profession, and how did this shape her daily decisions?
Essay Topic 2
Diane and Terry are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 3
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which people were most motivated by them?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)