|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the author describe her mother's chemotherapy treatments?
2. How big was the author's mother's tumor?
3. What information did the author give at the beginning of each chapter?
4. What did Diane spot at Bear River that was rare?
5. What chance of survival did Diane have during radiation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Terry do when she saw a dead swan?
2. What did the author compare starlings to, and why?
3. What did the author do at the dump when she went there?
4. How did Terry feel when birds were displaced from the refuge?
5. Why was Chapter 7 entitled Peregrine Falcon?
6. How do burrowing owls usually make their homes?
7. What did the author and her mother do when they got news of the tumor?
8. What did Terry compare the pelican fishing to?
9. What was the government trying to do in the chapter entitled Redheads?
10. What was the big news in the Yellow Headed Blackbird chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the different birds spoken of in this book, and what significance do they have in the author's life?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the examples of comic relief in this book, and how do they affect the tone of the plot?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)