|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did it take the author to get from her house to the airport?
2. Where did the activities in this book take place?
3. How does the author's brother get out of church one day?
4. What kind of gulls were used as a chapter title?
5. Who did Diane know with a brain tumor?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Terry feel when birds were displaced from the refuge?
2. What happened at Fish Springs?
3. What did the author discuss at the beginning of the chapter entitled Peregrine Falcon?
4. What was the United Order?
5. Why did the author say she liked to go to the dump?
6. Why did the author take such a deep interest in nature?
7. What did Terry compare the pelican fishing to?
8. What did Terry do with her mother in the Killdeer chapter?
9. What did the author talk about at the beginning of the chapter entitled Barn Swallows?
10. What did the author compare starlings to, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Power and greed were two common themes in this book. Where did they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Diane refuse medical treatment, and what effect did this have on her family?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)