|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took the author to the bird conservatory?
2. Who loved birds more than Terry did?
3. Where does the phalarope get food?
4. How many options were available when the lake exceeded the limits?
5. Who originally had the idea to pump the lake's water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is similar in each chapter of this book?
2. What did Terry think about while at the funeral of a family friend?
3. What did the author do at the dump when she went there?
4. What did the author and her mother do when they got news of the tumor?
5. Why did the author say she liked to go to the dump?
6. Why was Chapter 7 entitled Peregrine Falcon?
7. What did the author compare starlings to, and why?
8. How did Terry feel when birds were displaced from the refuge?
9. What medical procedure did Terry undergo while her mother was in radiation?
10. Why did the author take such a deep interest in nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diane and Terry are two very similar people, and yet they have some very notable and important differences. Using the text to cite some support and, write a compare/contrast essay about these two characters.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the different birds spoken of in this book, and what significance do they have in the author's life?
Essay Topic 3
How did Terry deal with the sadness of her mother's death, and what does this reveal about her personality?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)