|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the author learn about the Great Salt Lake?
2. Where did the activities in this book take place?
3. Why was the author surprised when her mother agreed to use chemotherapy?
4. Where does the phalarope get food?
5. What did Terry say should be used to catch the outlaw in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Chapter 7 entitled Peregrine Falcon?
2. What did the author and her mother do when they got news of the tumor?
3. What did the author talk about at the beginning of the chapter entitled Barn Swallows?
4. Why did the author say she liked to go to the dump?
5. What is similar in each chapter of this book?
6. What was the big news in the Yellow Headed Blackbird chapter?
7. What did the author do at the dump when she went there?
8. What did Terry do when she saw a dead swan?
9. What was the government trying to do in the chapter entitled Redheads?
10. What did Terry love about Gunnison Island?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of people. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the people in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the different birds spoken of in this book, and what significance do they have in the author's life?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Terry write so much about cancer at the end of the book? What message was she trying to send here?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)