|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what season do the Great Salt Lake levels lower?
2. What is the first chapter called?
3. What did the author's family do for vacations when she was a child?
4. Where was the author working during her mother's chemotherapy treatments?
5. What surprised the men at Antelope Island about Terry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was seeing the comet so special to Terry?
2. What disease did Mimi suffer from, and what treatment did she get?
3. What did Terry compare the pelican fishing to?
4. What did the magpies disrupt in Terry's life?
5. What did Terry do for her mother on her hike near Brighton?
6. What did Dian have a surgery for after the family portrait?
7. Why did the author say she liked to go to the dump?
8. What was most touching to Terry on the Christmas when Diane had a glucose IV?
9. How did Terry and Diane spend their evening after being in the desert?
10. What happened during the family portrait after the hike near Brighton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Terry write so much about cancer at the end of the book? What message was she trying to send here?
Essay Topic 3
Which person did you relate to the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
This section contains 1,044 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)