|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the author think her mother couldn't get sick?
2. Where did the author go after her mother's surgery?
3. What did Brigham Young call the Great Basin?
4. How many options were available when the lake exceeded the limits?
5. What causes the Great Salt Lake levels to lower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author do at the dump when she went there?
2. What happened at Fish Springs?
3. Why was Chapter 7 entitled Peregrine Falcon?
4. What did Terry do with her mother in the Killdeer chapter?
5. Why did the author take such a deep interest in nature?
6. What did the author and her mother do when they got news of the tumor?
7. What caused the LDS prophet to end church meetings one Sunday?
8. What did Terry think about while at the funeral of a family friend?
9. What did the author discuss at the beginning of the chapter entitled Peregrine Falcon?
10. What was the government trying to do in the chapter entitled Redheads?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)