|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is a title Terry used for the Great Salt Lake?
2. Where did Diane live mostly while in chemotherapy treatments?
3. Where was the author working during her mother's chemotherapy treatments?
4. What separates the Bear River from the Snake River?
5. How did the author describe her mother's chemotherapy treatments?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Chapter 7 entitled Peregrine Falcon?
2. Why didn't Diane ever come to love birds?
3. What did the author and her mother do when they got news of the tumor?
4. What did the author compare her mother to during her chemotherapy treatment?
5. What did Terry think about while at the funeral of a family friend?
6. What did Terry love about Gunnison Island?
7. What is similar in each chapter of this book?
8. How do burrowing owls usually make their homes?
9. What medical procedure did Terry undergo while her mother was in radiation?
10. What did the author discuss at the beginning of the chapter entitled Peregrine Falcon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role did despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Personal identity was one of the main themes in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how did its inclusion in the novel shape the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)