|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When another guest arrives for the Christmas Eve dinner at Mr. Salgado's house, what does Triton do?
2. At the Christmas Eve dinner, who watches Miss Nili intently as she speaks?
3. Why is Mr. Salgado distracted on the drive to the observatory?
4. While Triton is in the kitchen after the Christmas Eve dinner, who visits him, and why?
5. What is the Mahaweli Scheme?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
2. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
3. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
4. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
5. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
6. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
7. Problems start to appear in the relationship between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado, and she's in a very bad mood right before a poker party. What does she do during the party, and how does Mr. Salgado react?
8. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
9. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
10. How does the relationship between Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili change after the Christmas Eve party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use a story told by a former servant boy as a tool to educate readers about the nation of Sri Lanka, including its culture, people, geographical attributes, and recent social and political unrest? Do you feel this is an effective tool? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Triton's earlier years in Sri Lanka and his later years in England.
1. How does he recreate some of his Sri Lankan existence in England?
2. How does he free himself from the ghosts of his past?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and determine the importance to the story of the following recurring points:
1. The making of lists.
2. The changing reefs.
3. The dreams of opening up new establishments.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)