|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the dinner party on Christmas Eve, what does Triton cook for the first time ever?
2. Triton recalls a time when he is making lasagna and Nili tells him that ___.
3. Mr. Salgado announces to Triton that they are going to England so he can do what?
4. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
5. When the Christmas Eve dinner guests start to leave, what does Mr. Salgado tell Triton to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
2. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
3. Who is Nili?
4. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
5. For Christmas, what does Mr. Salgado do for the first time since Triton came to work for him?
6. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
7. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
8. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
9. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
10. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, why the following minor characters are important to the development of the story. What does each one contribute to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
One of the major themes in Reef is the following: "Regardless of our efforts, change is inevitable." Using three specific examples from the book, show how the author carries this theme through.
Essay Topic 3
From your perspective, is Mr. Salgado an optimist, a pessimist, or a realist? Support your answer with several examples from the book.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)