|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Robert and the journalist want to know when they stop by to visit Mr. Salgado?
2. After their near accident on the drive to the observatory, Mr. Salgado, his friend, and Triton stop by a temple for what?
3. How does Mr. Salgado feel whenever Miss Nili is not around?
4. While the group has dinner at the observatory, Mr. Salgado talks about an idea he has about creating an instrument to ___.
5. As Triton closes up the main house following the Christmas Eve dinner, who does he find together on the sofa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
2. Who is Nili?
3. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
4. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
5. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
6. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
7. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
8. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
9. What transformations does the household undergo after Miss Nili moves into Mr. Salgado's house?
10. Problems start to appear in the relationship between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado, and she's in a very bad mood right before a poker party. What does she do during the party, and how does Mr. Salgado react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the simplicity of Triton's life as a servant with the deep wisdom he exudes in his narration and philosophical musings. In what ways does Triton exhibit greater wisdom and maturity than the supposedly more important people he's talking about?
Essay Topic 2
In Reef, the author uses foreshadowing extensively. Present and discuss three examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to signal future events.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Triton, the narrator, with Mr. Salgado, the main character. Explain their differences and similarities. How does the reader view the world through the lens of the narrator? How does the narrator become one of the story's main characters?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)