|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado get ready to attend the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party, Triton gets the sense that things are ___.
2. What does Mr. Salgado talk about during the Christmas Eve dinner?
3. What is the Mahaweli Scheme?
4. Why is Mr. Salgado distracted on the drive to the observatory?
5. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
2. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
3. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
4. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
5. How does Triton grow and evolve from "Part I, Kolla" to "Part II, Cook's Joy" in Reef?
6. For Christmas, what does Mr. Salgado do for the first time since Triton came to work for him?
7. How does Mr. Salgado's personality change after Nili moves into the house?
8. How is Triton's name a fitting choice in light of the story's theme and setting?
9. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
10. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through young Triton's eyes, the reader views his world as filled with promise. At some point, though, the fabric that connects his life with those around him starts to unravel. Discuss in detail when and how a sense of unraveling commences in the narrative.
Essay Topic 2
Referring to specific passages from the book, explain the commentary the author makes regarding each of the following:
1. Human flaws.
2. Human resilience.
3. The persistence of hopes and dreams.
Essay Topic 3
In Reef, the author uses foreshadowing extensively. Present and discuss three examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to signal future events.
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)