|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado are out one evening, Triton wonders what his life is like if he ___.
2. What does Triton find inside the cookbook he receives?
3. Who carves the turkey during the Christmas Eve dinner?
4. After Miss Nili stops working at The Sea Hopper Hotel, what dream does she develop?
5. One evening, Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado argue about what to do because Nili wants to go out but Salgado wants to ___.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Triton feel about the sea?
2. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
3. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
4. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
5. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
6. How is Triton's name a fitting choice in light of the story's theme and setting?
7. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
8. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
9. Problems start to appear in the relationship between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado, and she's in a very bad mood right before a poker party. What does she do during the party, and how does Mr. Salgado react?
10. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the transformation these characters experience from the start to the end of Triton's story. Include how, exactly, they evolve and which major factors trigger their growth and changes:
2. Mr. Salgado.
3. Miss Nili.
Essay Topic 2
Although he starts out without any cooking skills, Triton evolves into an accomplished chef. Analyze how this culinary evolution mirrors Triton's personal transformation with respect to his self-esteem, confidence, and self-perception.
Essay Topic 3
A prominent symbol used throughout this book is the ocean. Explain what the ocean represents in terms of:
1. The main characters' lives.
2. The changing social and political climate of Sri Lanka.
3. Personal growth and transformation.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)