|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
2. What do Robert and the journalist want to know when they stop by to visit Mr. Salgado?
3. When Mr. Salgado brings up the story of an ark, how do the other guests react?
4. When Triton goes back to the kitchen as holiday dinner guests start to leave, how does he feel?
5. How does Triton change after Nili joins the household?
Short Essay Questions
1. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
2. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
3. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
4. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
5. How does Triton grow and evolve from "Part I, Kolla" to "Part II, Cook's Joy" in Reef?
6. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
7. How is Triton's name a fitting choice in light of the story's theme and setting?
8. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
9. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
10. Who is Nili?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the major themes in Reef is the following: "Regardless of our efforts, change is inevitable." Using three specific examples from the book, show how the author carries this theme through.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and determine the importance to the story of the following recurring points:
1. The making of lists.
2. The changing reefs.
3. The dreams of opening up new establishments.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Miss Nili and Triton. How does she try to help him? How does Triton respond? Does he have a secret crush on her? Why or why not? How do his thoughts about her evolve as he grows?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)