|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
2. As Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado get ready to attend the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party, Triton gets the sense that things are ___.
3. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
4. What does Triton find inside the cookbook he receives?
5. Mr. Salgado tells Triton that Dias is dead and explains that he ___.
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
2. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
3. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
4. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
5. How does Triton feel about the sea?
6. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
7. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
8. For Christmas, what does Mr. Salgado do for the first time since Triton came to work for him?
9. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
10. How does the relationship between Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili change after the Christmas Eve party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A prominent symbol used throughout this book is the ocean. Explain what the ocean represents in terms of:
1. The main characters' lives.
2. The changing social and political climate of Sri Lanka.
3. Personal growth and transformation.
Essay Topic 2
In Reef, the author uses foreshadowing extensively. Present and discuss three examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to signal future events.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the tragic romance between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado. Discuss the main stages of their relationship. What draws them together? What tears them apart? How is redemption found in the end?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)