|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Mahaweli Scheme?
2. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
3. While the group has dinner at the observatory, Mr. Salgado talks about an idea he has about creating an instrument to ___.
4. How does Mr. Salgado feel when Miss Nili is around?
5. What does Triton serve the Christmas Eve dinner guests for dessert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use a story told by a former servant boy as a tool to educate readers about the nation of Sri Lanka, including its culture, people, geographical attributes, and recent social and political unrest? Do you feel this is an effective tool? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the tragic romance between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado. Discuss the main stages of their relationship. What draws them together? What tears them apart? How is redemption found in the end?
Essay Topic 3
Through several tense and trying episodes, Triton grows and gains new perspectives on life. Citing a specific example for each character listed, explaining how tense interactions with the following individuals help Triton to develop. What new perspectives does he gain through these difficult encounters?
1. Mr. Salgado.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)