|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Palitha Aluthgoda, a prominent figure who is assassinated?
2. As Triton closes up the main house following the Christmas Eve dinner, who does he find together on the sofa?
3. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
4. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
5. How does Mr. Salgado feel whenever Miss Nili is not around?
Short Essay Questions
1. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
2. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
3. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
4. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
5. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
6. How is Triton's name a fitting choice in light of the story's theme and setting?
7. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
8. How does Triton feel about the sea?
9. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
10. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through several tense and trying episodes, Triton grows and gains new perspectives on life. Citing a specific example for each character listed, explaining how tense interactions with the following individuals help Triton to develop. What new perspectives does he gain through these difficult encounters?
1. Mr. Salgado.
Essay Topic 2
When she enters his life, and before she leaves him, Miss Nili "rescues" Mr. Salgado. Explain how she does this. Then, explain how the tables turn at the end of the story. How does Mr. Salgado become Miss Nili's rescuer?
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail several of the images the author creates through his narrative to bring the tropical Sri Lankan setting to life for the reader.
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)