|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
2. What does Miss Nili advise regarding the holiday decor?
3. Why does Nili worry that she's really not invited to the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party?
4. How does young Triton feel about the sea?
5. What kind of fish does Triton purchase from a group of fishermen?
Short Essay Questions
1. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
2. How does Triton feel about the sea?
3. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
4. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
5. How does Mr. Salgado's personality change after Nili moves into the house?
6. What transformations does the household undergo after Miss Nili moves into Mr. Salgado's house?
7. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
8. Who is Nili?
9. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
10. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail several of the images the author creates through his narrative to bring the tropical Sri Lankan setting to life for the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what makes this a "coming of age" story about Triton, the narrator. Cite specific examples. Analyze three important lessons Triton learns as he grows up in Mr. Salgado's unique household. Do you feel he learns these lessons if he instead stays home with his family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Miss Nili and Triton. How does she try to help him? How does Triton respond? Does he have a secret crush on her? Why or why not? How do his thoughts about her evolve as he grows?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)