|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Triton goes back to the kitchen as holiday dinner guests start to leave, how does he feel?
2. Who calls Nili right before lunch is served to the poker crowd?
3. Why does Salgado say he's reluctant to work for the government?
4. While the group has dinner at the observatory, Mr. Salgado talks about an idea he has about creating an instrument to ___.
5. What changes does Miss Nili's presence create in Mr. Salgado?
Essay Topic 1
A prominent symbol used throughout this book is the ocean. Explain what the ocean represents in terms of:
1. The main characters' lives.
2. The changing social and political climate of Sri Lanka.
3. Personal growth and transformation.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Miss Nili and Triton. How does she try to help him? How does Triton respond? Does he have a secret crush on her? Why or why not? How do his thoughts about her evolve as he grows?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Triton's earlier years in Sri Lanka and his later years in England.
1. How does he recreate some of his Sri Lankan existence in England?
2. How does he free himself from the ghosts of his past?
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)