|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the Christmas Eve dinner guests retire to while Triton clears the table?
2. What does Triton do while the men at the poker party chat over drinks?
3. When Triton goes back to the kitchen as holiday dinner guests start to leave, how does he feel?
4. When another guest arrives for the Christmas Eve dinner at Mr. Salgado's house, what does Triton do?
5. As Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado get ready to attend the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party, Triton gets the sense that things are ___.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
2. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
3. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
4. Who is Nili?
5. How is Triton's name a fitting choice in light of the story's theme and setting?
6. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
7. What transformations does the household undergo after Miss Nili moves into Mr. Salgado's house?
8. How does Triton grow and evolve from "Part I, Kolla" to "Part II, Cook's Joy" in Reef?
9. For Christmas, what does Mr. Salgado do for the first time since Triton came to work for him?
10. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the tragic romance between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado. Discuss the main stages of their relationship. What draws them together? What tears them apart? How is redemption found in the end?
Essay Topic 2
When she enters his life, and before she leaves him, Miss Nili "rescues" Mr. Salgado. Explain how she does this. Then, explain how the tables turn at the end of the story. How does Mr. Salgado become Miss Nili's rescuer?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the simplicity of Triton's life as a servant with the deep wisdom he exudes in his narration and philosophical musings. In what ways does Triton exhibit greater wisdom and maturity than the supposedly more important people he's talking about?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)