|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Triton run away from home?
2. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
3. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
4. Why does the cashier want the narrator to use his phone?
5. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
2. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
3. Where does this story begin?
4. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
5. During their first meeting, how does Triton reply when Mr. Salgado asks if he's been to school?
6. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
7. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
8. What does Triton do right after he fills up the tank of his old Volkswagen?
9. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
10. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use a story told by a former servant boy as a tool to educate readers about the nation of Sri Lanka, including its culture, people, geographical attributes, and recent social and political unrest? Do you feel this is an effective tool? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the tragic romance between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado. Discuss the main stages of their relationship. What draws them together? What tears them apart? How is redemption found in the end?
Essay Topic 3
From your perspective, is Mr. Salgado an optimist, a pessimist, or a realist? Support your answer with several examples from the book.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)