|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
2. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
3. Why does the cashier want the narrator to use his phone?
4. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
5. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
2. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
3. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
4. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
5. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
6. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
7. Through which character does the author choose to reveal the changing sociopolitical landscape of Sri Lanka across many decades?
8. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
9. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
10. Who is the narrator of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the simplicity of Triton's life as a servant with the deep wisdom he exudes in his narration and philosophical musings. In what ways does Triton exhibit greater wisdom and maturity than the supposedly more important people he's talking about?
Essay Topic 2
In Reef, the author uses foreshadowing extensively. Present and discuss three examples of foreshadowing and how it is used to signal future events.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Triton's earlier years in Sri Lanka and his later years in England.
1. How does he recreate some of his Sri Lankan existence in England?
2. How does he free himself from the ghosts of his past?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)