|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
2. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
3. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
4. When the cashier experiences technical difficulties, what does he consider doing?
5. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
2. What transformations does the household undergo after Miss Nili moves into Mr. Salgado's house?
3. Where does this story begin?
4. Problems start to appear in the relationship between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado, and she's in a very bad mood right before a poker party. What does she do during the party, and how does Mr. Salgado react?
5. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
6. What takes Mr. Salgado back to Sri Lanka?
7. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
8. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
9. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
10. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain what makes this a "coming of age" story about Triton, the narrator. Cite specific examples. Analyze three important lessons Triton learns as he grows up in Mr. Salgado's unique household. Do you feel he learns these lessons if he instead stays home with his family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Through several tense and trying episodes, Triton grows and gains new perspectives on life. Citing a specific example for each character listed, explaining how tense interactions with the following individuals help Triton to develop. What new perspectives does he gain through these difficult encounters?
1. Mr. Salgado.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Miss Nili and Triton. How does she try to help him? How does Triton respond? Does he have a secret crush on her? Why or why not? How do his thoughts about her evolve as he grows?
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)