|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
2. How long has the narrator been out of Sri Lanka?
3. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
4. When the narrator and cashier meet, what is happening in Sri Lanka?
5. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Through which character does the author choose to reveal the changing sociopolitical landscape of Sri Lanka across many decades?
2. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
3. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
4. Where does this story begin?
5. Who is the narrator of the story?
6. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
7. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
8. What does Triton do right after he fills up the tank of his old Volkswagen?
9. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
10. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use a story told by a former servant boy as a tool to educate readers about the nation of Sri Lanka, including its culture, people, geographical attributes, and recent social and political unrest? Do you feel this is an effective tool? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When she enters his life, and before she leaves him, Miss Nili "rescues" Mr. Salgado. Explain how she does this. Then, explain how the tables turn at the end of the story. How does Mr. Salgado become Miss Nili's rescuer?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Triton's earlier years in Sri Lanka and his later years in England.
1. How does he recreate some of his Sri Lankan existence in England?
2. How does he free himself from the ghosts of his past?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)