|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
2. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
3. What color is the narrator's vehicle mentioned at the start of the story?
4. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
5. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
2. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
3. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
4. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
5. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
6. During their first meeting, how does Triton reply when Mr. Salgado asks if he's been to school?
7. At the start of the story, how does the narrator try to help the cashier?
8. What does Triton do right after he fills up the tank of his old Volkswagen?
9. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
10. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Through several tense and trying episodes, Triton grows and gains new perspectives on life. Citing a specific example for each character listed, explaining how tense interactions with the following individuals help Triton to develop. What new perspectives does he gain through these difficult encounters?
1. Mr. Salgado.
Essay Topic 2
Through young Triton's eyes, the reader views his world as filled with promise. At some point, though, the fabric that connects his life with those around him starts to unravel. Discuss in detail when and how a sense of unraveling commences in the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
When she enters his life, and before she leaves him, Miss Nili "rescues" Mr. Salgado. Explain how she does this. Then, explain how the tables turn at the end of the story. How does Mr. Salgado become Miss Nili's rescuer?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)