|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the narrator been out of Sri Lanka?
2. Who used to own the car that belongs to the narrator at the start of the story?
3. Why does Triton run away from home?
4. When the narrator and cashier meet, what is happening in Sri Lanka?
5. How long is the gas station cashier on the job?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
2. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
3. At the end of the first section, what does the narrator begin to talk about with the gas station cashier?
4. Through which character does the author choose to reveal the changing sociopolitical landscape of Sri Lanka across many decades?
5. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
6. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
7. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
8. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
9. At the start of the story, how does the narrator try to help the cashier?
10. Who is the narrator of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the tragic romance between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado. Discuss the main stages of their relationship. What draws them together? What tears them apart? How is redemption found in the end?
Essay Topic 2
Through young Triton's eyes, the reader views his world as filled with promise. At some point, though, the fabric that connects his life with those around him starts to unravel. Discuss in detail when and how a sense of unraveling commences in the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Triton, the narrator, with Mr. Salgado, the main character. Explain their differences and similarities. How does the reader view the world through the lens of the narrator? How does the narrator become one of the story's main characters?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)