Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the individual who approaches the cashier and narrator begin to do?
2. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
3. What color is the narrator's vehicle mentioned at the start of the story?
4. The cashier experiences technical difficulties with what?
5. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how at the end of the story, the novel comes full circle.
2. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
3. At the end of the first section, what does the narrator begin to talk about with the gas station cashier?
4. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
5. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
6. Who is Nili?
7. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
8. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
9. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
10. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
Essay Topic 1
Explain, in detail, why the following minor characters are important to the development of the story. What does each one contribute to the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail several of the images the author creates through his narrative to bring the tropical Sri Lankan setting to life for the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and determine the importance to the story of the following recurring points:
1. The making of lists.
2. The changing reefs.
3. The dreams of opening up new establishments.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)