|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
2. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
3. When the cashier experiences technical difficulties, what does he consider doing?
4. When Joseph is in Mr. Salgado's room, what does he do when Triton finds him there?
5. How is Mr. Salgado associated with the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
2. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
3. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
4. Where does this story begin?
5. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
6. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
7. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
8. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
9. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
10. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From your perspective, is Mr. Salgado an optimist, a pessimist, or a realist? Support your answer with several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
When she enters his life, and before she leaves him, Miss Nili "rescues" Mr. Salgado. Explain how she does this. Then, explain how the tables turn at the end of the story. How does Mr. Salgado become Miss Nili's rescuer?
Essay Topic 3
Although he starts out without any cooking skills, Triton evolves into an accomplished chef. Analyze how this culinary evolution mirrors Triton's personal transformation with respect to his self-esteem, confidence, and self-perception.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)