Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the individual who approaches the cashier and narrator begin to do?
2. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
3. What color is the narrator's vehicle mentioned at the start of the story?
4. The cashier experiences technical difficulties with what?
5. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how at the end of the story, the novel comes full circle.
2. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
3. At the end of the first section, what does the narrator begin to talk about with the gas station cashier?
4. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
5. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
6. Who is Nili?
7. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
8. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
9. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
10. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
When she enters his life, and before she leaves him, Miss Nili "rescues" Mr. Salgado. Explain how she does this. Then, explain how the tables turn at the end of the story. How does Mr. Salgado become Miss Nili's rescuer?
Analyze the tragic romance between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado. Discuss the main stages of their relationship. What draws them together? What tears them apart? How is redemption found in the end?
From your perspective, is Mr. Salgado an optimist, a pessimist, or a realist? Support your answer with several examples from the book.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)