|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
2. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
3. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
4. At the start of the story, what does the narrator notice about the cashier?
5. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the London cashier say about the situation back home in Sri Lanka?
2. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
3. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
4. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
5. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
6. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
7. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
8. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
9. Through which character does the author choose to reveal the changing sociopolitical landscape of Sri Lanka across many decades?
10. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail several of the images the author creates through his narrative to bring the tropical Sri Lankan setting to life for the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what makes this a "coming of age" story about Triton, the narrator. Cite specific examples. Analyze three important lessons Triton learns as he grows up in Mr. Salgado's unique household. Do you feel he learns these lessons if he instead stays home with his family? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
One of the major themes in Reef is the following: "Regardless of our efforts, change is inevitable." Using three specific examples from the book, show how the author carries this theme through.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)