|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator and cashier meet, what is happening in Sri Lanka?
2. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
3. How long has the narrator been out of Sri Lanka?
4. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
5. After recording information about his car, what does the narrator do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
2. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
3. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
4. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
5. Who is the narrator of the story?
6. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
7. At the end of the first section, what does the narrator begin to talk about with the gas station cashier?
8. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
9. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
10. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although he starts out without any cooking skills, Triton evolves into an accomplished chef. Analyze how this culinary evolution mirrors Triton's personal transformation with respect to his self-esteem, confidence, and self-perception.
Essay Topic 2
Describe in detail several of the images the author creates through his narrative to bring the tropical Sri Lankan setting to life for the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and determine the importance to the story of the following recurring points:
1. The making of lists.
2. The changing reefs.
3. The dreams of opening up new establishments.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)