|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With Joseph gone, Triton goes from being houseboy to being ___.
2. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
3. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
4. After taking care of his car, what does the narrator do at the start of the story?
5. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
Short Essay Questions
1. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
2. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
3. Where does this story begin?
4. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
5. At the start of the story, how does the narrator try to help the cashier?
6. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
7. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
8. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
9. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
10. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although he starts out without any cooking skills, Triton evolves into an accomplished chef. Analyze how this culinary evolution mirrors Triton's personal transformation with respect to his self-esteem, confidence, and self-perception.
Essay Topic 2
A prominent symbol used throughout this book is the ocean. Explain what the ocean represents in terms of:
1. The main characters' lives.
2. The changing social and political climate of Sri Lanka.
3. Personal growth and transformation.
Essay Topic 3
Explain, in detail, why the following minor characters are important to the development of the story. What does each one contribute to the narrative?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)