|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lucy-amma?
2. Why does Triton run away from home?
3. When Joseph is in Mr. Salgado's room, what does he do when Triton finds him there?
4. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
5. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
2. What does the London cashier say about the situation back home in Sri Lanka?
3. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
4. Explain how at the end of the story, the novel comes full circle.
5. At the start of the story, how does the narrator try to help the cashier?
6. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
7. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
8. How does the relationship between Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili change after the Christmas Eve party?
9. Who is the narrator of the story?
10. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
Essay Topic 1
From your perspective, is Mr. Salgado an optimist, a pessimist, or a realist? Support your answer with several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Through young Triton's eyes, the reader views his world as filled with promise. At some point, though, the fabric that connects his life with those around him starts to unravel. Discuss in detail when and how a sense of unraveling commences in the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Triton's earlier years in Sri Lanka and his later years in England.
1. How does he recreate some of his Sri Lankan existence in England?
2. How does he free himself from the ghosts of his past?
This section contains 1,563 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)