|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Mr. Salgado captivates young Triton when they first meet?
2. The haberdasher who stops by Mr. Salgado's house on Thursdays is one of the what who stops by regularly?
3. After recording information about his car, what does the narrator do?
4. How long has the cashier been out of Sri Lanka?
5. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
2. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
3. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
4. During their first meeting, how does Triton reply when Mr. Salgado asks if he's been to school?
5. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
6. At the start of the story, how does the narrator try to help the cashier?
7. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
8. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
9. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
10. What does the London cashier say about the situation back home in Sri Lanka?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When she enters his life, and before she leaves him, Miss Nili "rescues" Mr. Salgado. Explain how she does this. Then, explain how the tables turn at the end of the story. How does Mr. Salgado become Miss Nili's rescuer?
Essay Topic 2
A prominent symbol used throughout this book is the ocean. Explain what the ocean represents in terms of:
1. The main characters' lives.
2. The changing social and political climate of Sri Lanka.
3. Personal growth and transformation.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and determine the importance to the story of the following recurring points:
1. The making of lists.
2. The changing reefs.
3. The dreams of opening up new establishments.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)