|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
2. At the start of the story, what does the narrator notice about the cashier?
3. The region of Sri Lanka that the cashier comes from is once what?
4. Why is the cashier impressed with the narrator?
5. When Mr. Salgado takes a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, who is left in charge of the household?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
2. What does Triton do right after he fills up the tank of his old Volkswagen?
3. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
4. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
5. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
6. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
7. During their first meeting, how does Triton reply when Mr. Salgado asks if he's been to school?
8. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
9. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
10. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From your perspective, is Mr. Salgado an optimist, a pessimist, or a realist? Support your answer with several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
A prominent symbol used throughout this book is the ocean. Explain what the ocean represents in terms of:
1. The main characters' lives.
2. The changing social and political climate of Sri Lanka.
3. Personal growth and transformation.
Essay Topic 3
When she enters his life, and before she leaves him, Miss Nili "rescues" Mr. Salgado. Explain how she does this. Then, explain how the tables turn at the end of the story. How does Mr. Salgado become Miss Nili's rescuer?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)