|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Salgado feel when Miss Nili is around?
2. What does Miss Nili advise regarding the holiday decor?
(a) To add shinier decor.
(b) To cover the house in twinkling lights.
(c) To take down most of it.
(d) To add more Christmas tree decorations.
3. As Triton watches Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili taking a stroll down the beach, he imagines ___.
(a) The ocean snatching at their ankles.
(b) A sea monster rising up from the depths.
(c) A pirate ship sailing in the distance.
(d) Dolphins speaking about the reefs.
4. As Triton closes up the main house following the Christmas Eve dinner, who does he find together on the sofa?
(a) Miss Nili and Robert.
(b) Miss Ellie and Joseph.
(c) Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili.
(d) Robert and Miss Ellie.
5. How does young Triton feel about the sea?
(a) He longs to travel across the sea on a large ship.
(b) He wants to go deep sea fishing.
(c) He's both mesmerized and frightened by it.
(d) He's bored by it and wants to go home.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
2. When Triton goes back to the kitchen as holiday dinner guests start to leave, how does he feel?
3. How does Mr. Salgado feel whenever Miss Nili is not around?
4. Why is Wijetunga dismayed when Triton tell hims that Miss Nili runs a hotel?
5. As Mr. Salgado drives the Land-Rover to the observatory, what does he almost hit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
2. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
3. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
4. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
5. How does Triton feel about the sea?
6. Who is Nili?
7. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
8. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
9. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
10. Problems start to appear in the relationship between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado, and she's in a very bad mood right before a poker party. What does she do during the party, and how does Mr. Salgado react?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)