|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While Triton is in the kitchen after the Christmas Eve dinner, who visits him, and why?
(a) Mr. Salgado to give him further instructions.
(b) One of the foreign guests to thank him.
(c) Joseph to apologize for his past behavior.
(d) Miss Nili to give him a present.
2. What kind of fish does Triton purchase from a group of fishermen?
(a) Blue-striped parrot fish.
(b) Butterfly peacock fish.
(c) Black ghost knifefish.
(d) Flower horn fish.
3. Who calls Nili right before lunch is served to the poker crowd?
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her former employer.
4. When Triton goes back to the kitchen as holiday dinner guests start to leave, how does he feel?
(a) Elated that the guests love the meal.
(b) Overwhelmed by the cleanup he has to do.
(c) Angry that Mr. Salgado works him so hard.
(d) Sad to be far away from his family.
5. Why does Mr. Salgado start to ignore marine-related projects that used to captivate him?
(a) The government interferes too much with his science projects.
(b) Spending time with Miss Nili, he becomes a socialite.
(c) He's too preoccupied with Wijetunga's transformation.
(d) He turns his attention to musical pursuits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Nili do after she and Mr. Salgado return from the inauguration party?
2. When Robert brings by a journalist to see Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili greets them wearing what?
3. Why does Wijetunga tell Triton that children need an education?
4. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
5. Who is Palitha Aluthgoda, a prominent figure who is assassinated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
2. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
3. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
4. How does Triton grow and evolve from "Part I, Kolla" to "Part II, Cook's Joy" in Reef?
5. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
6. How is Triton's name a fitting choice in light of the story's theme and setting?
7. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
8. Who is Nili?
9. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
10. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)