|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT included in the "Five Lessons" Wijetunga speaks of to Triton?
(a) Basic teachings of capitalism.
(b) Self-empowerment through wind farms.
(c) Social movements around the world.
(d) Plans for revolution in Sri Lanka.
2. Who carves the turkey during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(b) Mr. Salgado.
(c) Miss Nili.
3. What is the Mahaweli Scheme?
(a) An extensive food cooperative.
(b) A child protection plan.
(c) A reef protection initiative.
(d) An inland irrigation project.
4. How do the guests react to the meal Triton prepares for Christmas Eve?
(a) They are underwhelmed.
(b) They don't like it but they're polite about it.
(c) They are impressed.
(d) They tell him it's too cold.
5. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
(a) He completes his education and knows almost as much as Mr. Salgado does about reefs.
(b) He grows a beard, is kinder to Triton, and speaks of revolution.
(c) He goes through a bitter divorce and child custody battle.
(d) He becomes a vegetarian and speaks of attaining enlightenment.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Robert brings by a journalist to see Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili greets them wearing what?
2. After their near accident on the drive to the observatory, Mr. Salgado, his friend, and Triton stop by a temple for what?
3. What does Triton do after he finishes serving Christmas Eve dinner to Mr. Salgado and his guests?
4. Mr. Salgado tells Triton that Dias is dead and explains that he ___.
5. Why does Nili worry that she's really not invited to the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
2. For Christmas, what does Mr. Salgado do for the first time since Triton came to work for him?
3. How does Triton grow and evolve from "Part I, Kolla" to "Part II, Cook's Joy" in Reef?
4. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
5. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
6. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
7. Who is Nili?
8. How does Mr. Salgado's personality change after Nili moves into the house?
9. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
10. How does the relationship between Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili change after the Christmas Eve party?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)