|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Salgado treat Robert and the journalist?
(a) With impatience.
(b) With suspicion.
(c) With tolerance.
(d) With respect.
2. How do the guests react to the meal Triton prepares for Christmas Eve?
(a) They tell him it's too cold.
(b) They are underwhelmed.
(c) They don't like it but they're polite about it.
(d) They are impressed.
3. What does Mr. Salgado talk about during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(a) Miss Nili's job at the hotel.
(b) The ocean's thermodynamics.
(c) His new car.
(d) The shifting trade winds.
4. Who is Wijetunga?
(a) Mr. Salgado's assistant at the observatory.
(b) Triton's father.
(c) Triton's youngest brother.
(d) Mr. Salgado's next-door neighbor.
5. Wijetunga's radical idea about improving his country is to ___.
(a) First destroy in order to create something better.
(b) Legalize gambling.
(c) Make alliances with their enemies.
(d) Use every available space for growing fruits and vegetables.
Short Answer Questions
1. For the holidays, what does Mr. Salgado bring home for the first time ever?
2. As Mr. Salgado drives the Land-Rover to the observatory, what does he almost hit?
3. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
4. When the men at the poker party call to Triton to bring more beer, what does he do?
5. Why is Wijetunga dismayed when Triton tell hims that Miss Nili runs a hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
2. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
3. What transformations does the household undergo after Miss Nili moves into Mr. Salgado's house?
4. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
5. Who is Nili?
6. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
7. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
8. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
9. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
10. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)