|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wijetunga's radical idea about improving his country is to ___.
(a) First destroy in order to create something better.
(b) Legalize gambling.
(c) Make alliances with their enemies.
(d) Use every available space for growing fruits and vegetables.
2. How does Mr. Salgado treat Robert and the journalist?
(a) With respect.
(b) With impatience.
(c) With suspicion.
(d) With tolerance.
3. How does young Triton feel about the sea?
(a) He wants to go deep sea fishing.
(b) He's bored by it and wants to go home.
(c) He longs to travel across the sea on a large ship.
(d) He's both mesmerized and frightened by it.
4. What do Robert and the journalist want to know when they stop by to visit Mr. Salgado?
(a) How the project to convert the ocean's energy into electricity is coming along.
(b) How the coastal village lifestyle is changing due to sea erosion.
(c) How quickly the reef is deteriorating.
(d) How much it costs to build a protective seawall.
5. When Triton goes back to the kitchen as holiday dinner guests start to leave, how does he feel?
(a) Elated that the guests love the meal.
(b) Angry that Mr. Salgado works him so hard.
(c) Sad to be far away from his family.
(d) Overwhelmed by the cleanup he has to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Miss Nili stops working at The Sea Hopper Hotel, what dream does she develop?
2. As Mr. Salgado drives the Land-Rover to the observatory, what does he almost hit?
3. When does Miss Nili start visiting Mr. Salgado?
4. Why does Nili become upset when she goes to see the fish catch?
5. At the poker party, Mr. Salgado can't eat and drinks too much beer because he's worried about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
2. How does Triton feel about the sea?
3. For Christmas, what does Mr. Salgado do for the first time since Triton came to work for him?
4. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
5. How is Triton's name a fitting choice in light of the story's theme and setting?
6. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
7. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
8. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
9. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
10. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)