|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Triton recalls a time when he is making lasagna and Nili tells him that ___.
(a) She thinks he's cute.
(b) He reminds her of a childhood friend.
(c) He's preparing it all wrong.
(d) He doesn't belong there.
2. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) She hires additional household staff.
(b) She orders repairs and remodels.
(c) She insists on new routines and schedules.
(d) She insists on doing most of the cooking herself.
3. Who carves the turkey during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(a) Mr. Salgado.
(c) Miss Nili.
4. When Robert brings by a journalist to see Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili greets them wearing what?
(a) Her kimono.
(b) Mr. Salgado's bathrobe.
(c) Curlers in her hair.
(d) A bathing suit.
5. At the Christmas Eve dinner, who watches Miss Nili intently as she speaks?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Triton closes up the main house following the Christmas Eve dinner, who does he find together on the sofa?
2. What changes does Miss Nili's presence create in Mr. Salgado?
3. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
4. Why is Mr. Salgado distracted on the drive to the observatory?
5. After Miss Nili stops working at The Sea Hopper Hotel, what dream does she develop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
2. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
3. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
4. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
5. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
6. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
7. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
8. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
9. How does Triton grow and evolve from "Part I, Kolla" to "Part II, Cook's Joy" in Reef?
10. Who is Nili?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)