|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
(a) She always tips him after he serves dinner.
(b) She has a good effect on Mr. Salgado.
(c) She brings him news of his family.
(d) He likes how she smells of jasmine blossoms.
2. Triton recalls a time when he is making lasagna and Nili tells him that ___.
(a) He reminds her of a childhood friend.
(b) He doesn't belong there.
(c) She thinks he's cute.
(d) He's preparing it all wrong.
3. What does Triton do while the men at the poker party chat over drinks?
(a) Makes himself a sandwich.
(b) Cleans the kitchen.
(c) Talks with Miss Nili.
(d) Walks in the garden.
4. Why does Mr. Salgado start to ignore marine-related projects that used to captivate him?
(a) Spending time with Miss Nili, he becomes a socialite.
(b) The government interferes too much with his science projects.
(c) He turns his attention to musical pursuits.
(d) He's too preoccupied with Wijetunga's transformation.
5. For the holidays, what does Mr. Salgado bring home for the first time ever?
(a) Pumpkin pie.
(b) Dark chocolate fudge.
(c) Christmas tree.
(d) Nativity scene.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who carves the turkey during the Christmas Eve dinner?
2. Mr. Salgado tells Triton that Dias is dead and explains that he ___.
3. Why does Wijetunga tell Triton that children need an education?
4. When does Miss Nili start visiting Mr. Salgado?
5. What does Miss Nili do when Mr. Salgado accuses her of sleeping with Robert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili change after the Christmas Eve party?
2. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
3. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
4. Who is Nili?
5. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
6. How is Triton's name a fitting choice in light of the story's theme and setting?
7. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
8. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
9. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
10. Problems start to appear in the relationship between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado, and she's in a very bad mood right before a poker party. What does she do during the party, and how does Mr. Salgado react?
This section contains 1,306 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)