|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Triton watches Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili taking a stroll down the beach, he imagines ___.
(a) A pirate ship sailing in the distance.
(b) Dolphins speaking about the reefs.
(c) A sea monster rising up from the depths.
(d) The ocean snatching at their ankles.
2. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
(a) He completes his education and knows almost as much as Mr. Salgado does about reefs.
(b) He goes through a bitter divorce and child custody battle.
(c) He grows a beard, is kinder to Triton, and speaks of revolution.
(d) He becomes a vegetarian and speaks of attaining enlightenment.
3. Why is Wijetunga dismayed when Triton tell hims that Miss Nili runs a hotel?
(a) He believes tourists ruin their country.
(b) He used to date Miss Nili and does not want to hear about her.
(c) He once has a terrible accident at a hotel.
(d) He believes women should not work in business.
4. After their near accident on the drive to the observatory, Mr. Salgado, his friend, and Triton stop by a temple for what?
(a) To put money in a roadside blessing box.
(b) To have a picnic lunch by the temple pond.
(c) To purchase water and a box lunch for each of them.
(d) To pray at the travelers' shrine.
5. One evening, Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado argue about what to do because Nili wants to go out but Salgado wants to ___.
(a) Visit his brother.
(b) Work on his project.
(c) Have a poker party.
(d) Eat leftovers.
Short Answer Questions
1. While working for Mr. Salgado, how does Triton educate himself?
2. Why does Wijetunga tell Triton that children need an education?
3. Why is Mr. Salgado distracted on the drive to the observatory?
4. What do Robert and the journalist want to know when they stop by to visit Mr. Salgado?
5. What kind of fish does Triton purchase from a group of fishermen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transformations does the household undergo after Miss Nili moves into Mr. Salgado's house?
2. How is Triton's name a fitting choice in light of the story's theme and setting?
3. For Christmas, what does Mr. Salgado do for the first time since Triton came to work for him?
4. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
5. Who is Nili?
6. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
7. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
8. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
9. How does Triton feel about the sea?
10. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)