|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Miss Nili start visiting Mr. Salgado?
(a) February 1967.
(b) December 1971.
(c) April 1969.
(d) June 1965.
2. How does Nili feel about the food Triton prepares?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She tolerates it.
(c) She thinks he can do much better.
(d) She'd rather he add more spices.
3. Who is Palitha Aluthgoda, a prominent figure who is assassinated?
(a) A popular, wealthy businessman.
(b) Triton's uncle.
(c) Mr. Salgado's former professor.
(d) An arrogant television star.
4. When another guest arrives for the Christmas Eve dinner at Mr. Salgado's house, what does Triton do?
(a) Complains to Mr. Salgado that there is not enough food to go around.
(b) Quickly arranges another setting at the table to avoid an awkward moment.
(c) Gives up his portion of the food so that the unexpected guest may eat.
(d) Storms off in anger because nobody tells him about the guest in advance.
5. Why does Nili become upset when she goes to see the fish catch?
(a) She sees her old boyfriend there with his new wife.
(b) A reef shark is killed and a dolphin is about to be killed.
(c) She thinks the fish market is stinky and dirty.
(d) One of the fishermen is rude to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
2. Mr. Dias Liyanage wants Mr. Salgado to take a job with a foundation interested in what?
3. When Mr. Salgado brings up the story of an ark, how do the other guests react?
4. What does Triton do while the men at the poker party chat over drinks?
5. During a trip to the bungalow observatory, how does Triton help out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
2. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
3. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
4. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
5. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
6. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
7. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
8. What transformations does the household undergo after Miss Nili moves into Mr. Salgado's house?
9. For Christmas, what does Mr. Salgado do for the first time since Triton came to work for him?
10. Problems start to appear in the relationship between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado, and she's in a very bad mood right before a poker party. What does she do during the party, and how does Mr. Salgado react?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)