|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During a trip to the bungalow observatory, how does Triton help out?
(a) Sweeping the surrounding pathways.
(b) Rearranging science books on the shelves.
(c) Taking dictation for Mr. Salgado.
(d) Cooking and doing housework.
2. What does Miss Nili do after she and Mr. Salgado return from the inauguration party?
(a) Sits on the sofa and cries.
(b) Prepares coffee for everyone.
(c) Takes a walk along the beach.
(d) Plays sultry music.
3. While working for Mr. Salgado, how does Triton educate himself?
(a) Reading his neighbor's schoolbooks.
(b) Watching educational television shows.
(c) His employer hires a tutor for him.
(d) Sneaking into the neighborhood school while his employer naps.
4. What do Robert and the journalist want to know when they stop by to visit Mr. Salgado?
(a) How the project to convert the ocean's energy into electricity is coming along.
(b) How quickly the reef is deteriorating.
(c) How much it costs to build a protective seawall.
(d) How the coastal village lifestyle is changing due to sea erosion.
5. What does Miss Nili advise regarding the holiday decor?
(a) To add more Christmas tree decorations.
(b) To cover the house in twinkling lights.
(c) To add shinier decor.
(d) To take down most of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
2. When the Christmas Eve dinner guests start to leave, what does Mr. Salgado tell Triton to do?
3. As Triton watches Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili taking a stroll down the beach, he imagines ___.
4. At the poker party, Mr. Salgado can't eat and drinks too much beer because he's worried about what?
5. While Triton is in the kitchen after the Christmas Eve dinner, who visits him, and why?
Short Essay Questions
1. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
2. How is Triton's name a fitting choice in light of the story's theme and setting?
3. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
4. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
5. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
6. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
7. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
8. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
9. How does Mr. Salgado's personality change after Nili moves into the house?
10. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)