|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Nili do after she and Mr. Salgado return from the inauguration party?
(a) Takes a walk along the beach.
(b) Prepares coffee for everyone.
(c) Sits on the sofa and cries.
(d) Plays sultry music.
2. As Triton unpacks Nili's suitcases, what fascinates him?
(a) The fabric her clothes are made of.
(b) The magazines she reads.
(c) The unusual color of her suitcases.
(d) Her large collection of perfumes and colognes.
3. While working for Mr. Salgado, how does Triton educate himself?
(a) Reading his neighbor's schoolbooks.
(b) His employer hires a tutor for him.
(c) Watching educational television shows.
(d) Sneaking into the neighborhood school while his employer naps.
4. Who is Palitha Aluthgoda, a prominent figure who is assassinated?
(a) Mr. Salgado's former professor.
(b) An arrogant television star.
(c) Triton's uncle.
(d) A popular, wealthy businessman.
5. With Mr. Salgado spending more time out of the house with his new job, Triton spends more time doing what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
2. Mr. Salgado tells Triton that Dias is dead and explains that he ___.
3. Why is Triton worried about having to move Mr. Salgado's shoes to the spare room?
4. Why does Miss Nili borrow Mr. Salgado's blue shirt?
5. Mr. Salgado announces to Triton that they are going to England so he can do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
2. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
3. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
4. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
5. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
6. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
7. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
8. Problems start to appear in the relationship between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado, and she's in a very bad mood right before a poker party. What does she do during the party, and how does Mr. Salgado react?
9. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
10. How does Triton feel about the sea?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)