|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the poker party, Mr. Salgado can't eat and drinks too much beer because he's worried about what?
(a) The fast-approaching hurricane.
(b) Why Triton wants to quit.
(c) Where Nili is and what she's doing.
(d) Whether or not his project is getting funded.
2. During a trip to the bungalow observatory, how does Triton help out?
(a) Rearranging science books on the shelves.
(b) Cooking and doing housework.
(c) Taking dictation for Mr. Salgado.
(d) Sweeping the surrounding pathways.
3. What does Miss Nili do when Mr. Salgado accuses her of sleeping with Robert?
(a) Insults him angrily and leaves.
(b) Laughs loudly and slaps him.
(c) Cries, saying the accusation hurts.
(d) Says she loves Robert.
4. What do Robert and the journalist want to know when they stop by to visit Mr. Salgado?
(a) How quickly the reef is deteriorating.
(b) How the project to convert the ocean's energy into electricity is coming along.
(c) How much it costs to build a protective seawall.
(d) How the coastal village lifestyle is changing due to sea erosion.
5. After their near accident on the drive to the observatory, Mr. Salgado, his friend, and Triton stop by a temple for what?
(a) To put money in a roadside blessing box.
(b) To have a picnic lunch by the temple pond.
(c) To purchase water and a box lunch for each of them.
(d) To pray at the travelers' shrine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Salgado talk about during the Christmas Eve dinner?
2. When Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado are out one evening, Triton wonders what his life is like if he ___.
3. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
4. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
5. Who is Palitha Aluthgoda, a prominent figure who is assassinated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What transformations does the household undergo after Miss Nili moves into Mr. Salgado's house?
2. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
3. How does Triton feel about the sea?
4. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
5. How does Triton grow and evolve from "Part I, Kolla" to "Part II, Cook's Joy" in Reef?
6. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
7. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
8. Who is Nili?
9. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
10. How does the relationship between Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili change after the Christmas Eve party?
This section contains 1,231 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)