|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
(a) A nude Miss Nili.
(b) Mr. Salgado doing drugs.
(c) Mr. Salgado with another woman.
(d) A note from Miss Nili to Mr. Salgado.
2. Why is Triton worried about having to move Mr. Salgado's shoes to the spare room?
(a) He's afraid of mixing them up.
(b) There is very little space there for them.
(c) He has an irrational fear of shoes.
(d) He doesn't want to damage them.
3. What changes does Miss Nili's presence create in Mr. Salgado?
(a) He becomes more withdrawn than before.
(b) He comes to life, becoming more radiant and outgoing.
(c) He becomes distracted and forgetful.
(d) He begins to act more arrogantly.
4. What is the Mahaweli Scheme?
(a) An inland irrigation project.
(b) A child protection plan.
(c) An extensive food cooperative.
(d) A reef protection initiative.
5. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
(a) He goes through a bitter divorce and child custody battle.
(b) He completes his education and knows almost as much as Mr. Salgado does about reefs.
(c) He grows a beard, is kinder to Triton, and speaks of revolution.
(d) He becomes a vegetarian and speaks of attaining enlightenment.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Robert brings by a journalist to see Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili greets them wearing what?
2. After their near accident on the drive to the observatory, Mr. Salgado, his friend, and Triton stop by a temple for what?
3. When Triton goes back to the kitchen as holiday dinner guests start to leave, how does he feel?
4. Mr. Dias Liyanage wants Mr. Salgado to take a job with a foundation interested in what?
5. Why does Salgado say he's reluctant to work for the government?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
2. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
3. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
4. For Christmas, what does Mr. Salgado do for the first time since Triton came to work for him?
5. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
6. How does Triton feel about the sea?
7. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
8. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
9. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
10. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)