|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With Mr. Salgado spending more time out of the house with his new job, Triton spends more time doing what?
2. Mr. Salgado tells Triton that Dias is dead and explains that he ___.
(a) Is assassinated.
(b) Crashes the jeep against a tree.
(c) Dies of a heart attack.
(d) Drowns at sea.
3. While working for Mr. Salgado, how does Triton educate himself?
(a) His employer hires a tutor for him.
(b) Reading his neighbor's schoolbooks.
(c) Sneaking into the neighborhood school while his employer naps.
(d) Watching educational television shows.
4. Why does Nili worry that she's really not invited to the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party?
(a) One of the party organizers dislikes her.
(b) Mr. Salgado often gets the details wrong.
(c) Her name does not appear on the invitation.
(d) She's not a wife.
5. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) She orders repairs and remodels.
(b) She insists on doing most of the cooking herself.
(c) She hires additional household staff.
(d) She insists on new routines and schedules.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does young Triton feel about the sea?
2. When Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado are out one evening, Triton wonders what his life is like if he ___.
3. After Miss Nili stops working at The Sea Hopper Hotel, what dream does she develop?
4. When another guest arrives for the Christmas Eve dinner at Mr. Salgado's house, what does Triton do?
5. Who is Palitha Aluthgoda, a prominent figure who is assassinated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
2. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
3. Describe Triton's experience at the Christmas Eve dinner.
4. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
5. How does Triton feel about the sea?
6. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
7. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
8. What transformations does the household undergo after Miss Nili moves into Mr. Salgado's house?
9. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
10. How does Triton grow and evolve from "Part I, Kolla" to "Part II, Cook's Joy" in Reef?
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)