|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Salgado talk about during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(a) Miss Nili's job at the hotel.
(b) The ocean's thermodynamics.
(c) The shifting trade winds.
(d) His new car.
2. For the holidays, what does Mr. Salgado bring home for the first time ever?
(a) Dark chocolate fudge.
(b) Nativity scene.
(c) Christmas tree.
(d) Pumpkin pie.
3. While Triton is in the kitchen after the Christmas Eve dinner, who visits him, and why?
(a) One of the foreign guests to thank him.
(b) Mr. Salgado to give him further instructions.
(c) Joseph to apologize for his past behavior.
(d) Miss Nili to give him a present.
4. Why does Nili become upset when she goes to see the fish catch?
(a) One of the fishermen is rude to her.
(b) A reef shark is killed and a dolphin is about to be killed.
(c) She sees her old boyfriend there with his new wife.
(d) She thinks the fish market is stinky and dirty.
5. Which of the following is NOT included in the "Five Lessons" Wijetunga speaks of to Triton?
(a) Plans for revolution in Sri Lanka.
(b) Basic teachings of capitalism.
(c) Self-empowerment through wind farms.
(d) Social movements around the world.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Christmas Eve dinner, who watches Miss Nili intently as she speaks?
2. As Mr. Salgado drives the Land-Rover to the observatory, what does he almost hit?
3. When Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado are out one evening, Triton wonders what his life is like if he ___.
4. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
5. How do the guests react to the meal Triton prepares for Christmas Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
2. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
3. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
4. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
5. How does Triton feel about the sea?
6. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
7. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
8. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
9. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
10. Who is Nili?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)