|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Wijetunga dismayed when Triton tell hims that Miss Nili runs a hotel?
(a) He believes tourists ruin their country.
(b) He once has a terrible accident at a hotel.
(c) He believes women should not work in business.
(d) He used to date Miss Nili and does not want to hear about her.
2. Who calls Nili right before lunch is served to the poker crowd?
(b) Her sister.
(d) Her former employer.
3. As Triton unpacks Nili's suitcases, what fascinates him?
(a) The unusual color of her suitcases.
(b) The magazines she reads.
(c) The fabric her clothes are made of.
(d) Her large collection of perfumes and colognes.
4. Where do the Christmas Eve dinner guests retire to while Triton clears the table?
(a) Garden to enjoy some fresh air.
(b) Sitting room for coffee.
(c) Lounge to watch television.
(d) Game room to play a board game.
5. When Robert brings by a journalist to see Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili greets them wearing what?
(a) Mr. Salgado's bathrobe.
(b) Curlers in her hair.
(c) A bathing suit.
(d) Her kimono.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nili worry that she's really not invited to the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party?
2. As Triton closes up the main house following the Christmas Eve dinner, who does he find together on the sofa?
3. For the dinner party on Christmas Eve, what does Triton cook for the first time ever?
4. Mr. Dias Liyanage wants Mr. Salgado to take a job with a foundation interested in what?
5. After their near accident on the drive to the observatory, Mr. Salgado, his friend, and Triton stop by a temple for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. For Christmas, what does Mr. Salgado do for the first time since Triton came to work for him?
2. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
3. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
4. What does Mr. Salgado do on Christmas Eve?
5. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
6. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
7. How does the relationship between Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili change after the Christmas Eve party?
8. What transformations does the household undergo after Miss Nili moves into Mr. Salgado's house?
9. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
10. How does Mr. Salgado's personality change after Nili moves into the house?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)