|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Wijetunga's radical idea about improving his country is to ___.
(a) Use every available space for growing fruits and vegetables.
(b) Legalize gambling.
(c) Make alliances with their enemies.
(d) First destroy in order to create something better.
2. What does Miss Nili drop during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(a) Piece of turkey.
(b) Piece of pie.
(c) Glass of wine.
(d) Cup of coffee.
3. Triton's wish to see more of the outside world comes true when Mr. Salgado takes him to ___.
(a) The coffee plantation.
(b) The amusement park.
(c) The library.
(d) The observatory.
4. When Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado are out one evening, Triton wonders what his life is like if he ___.
(a) Works in a restaurant or goex to hotel school.
(b) Learns to sew or play the piano.
(c) Stows away on a passing ship.
(d) Never leaves his childhood home.
5. Mr. Dias Liyanage wants Mr. Salgado to take a job with a foundation interested in what?
(a) Cultural preservation.
(b) Soil conservation.
(c) Coral business.
(d) Fishing industry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Nili advise regarding the holiday decor?
2. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
3. What is the Mahaweli Scheme?
4. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
5. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Mr. Salgado accuses Miss Nili of sleeping with Robert?
2. How does Triton prepare for Nili's move to Mr. Salgado's house?
3. How does Mr. Salgado's personality change after Nili moves into the house?
4. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
5. Problems start to appear in the relationship between Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado, and she's in a very bad mood right before a poker party. What does she do during the party, and how does Mr. Salgado react?
6. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
7. When his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage, offers Mr. Salgado a job with a foundation interested in the coral business, why is Mr. Salgado reluctant to take this job?
8. For Christmas, what does Mr. Salgado do for the first time since Triton came to work for him?
9. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
10. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)