|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about Mr. Salgado captivates young Triton when they first meet?
(a) His ever-present smile.
(b) His colorful shirts.
(c) His gentle voice.
(d) His unusual glasses.
2. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
(a) If the cashier is from Sri Lanka.
(b) If there's a good Sri Lankan restaurant nearby.
(c) If there are many Sri Lankans living in London.
(d) If the cashier knows what language is spoken in Sri Lanka.
3. Who is Lucy-amma?
(a) The neighborhood matchmaker.
(b) The young girl next door.
(c) The local school teacher.
(d) The old cook-woman.
4. As a young servant for Mr. Salgado, Triton's regular duties include what?
(a) Serving tea and sweeping floors.
(b) Milking cows and gathering eggs.
(c) Watering plants and taking food to the poor.
(d) Organizing books and catching fish.
5. Why is the cashier impressed with the narrator?
(a) He attends Oxford.
(b) He is a vegetarian.
(c) He used to be a marine biologist.
(d) He owns a restaurant.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
2. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
3. Why are Triton and Joseph left alone at Mr. Salgado's house?
4. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
5. When it starts to rain, Triton hopes that Joseph ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
2. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
3. Where does this story begin?
4. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
5. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
6. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
7. Through which character does the author choose to reveal the changing sociopolitical landscape of Sri Lanka across many decades?
8. What does the London cashier say about the situation back home in Sri Lanka?
9. Who is the narrator of the story?
10. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)