|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The cashier experiences technical difficulties with what?
(a) Electronic till.
(b) Pressurized hose.
(c) Jumper cables.
(d) Paint drying unit.
2. Who used to own the car that belongs to the narrator at the start of the story?
(c) Miss Nili.
(d) Mr. Salgado.
3. Who stumbles towards the narrator and the cashier as the two are engrossed in conversation?
(a) Distraught child.
(b) Police officer.
(c) Mutual friend.
(d) Drunk man.
4. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
5. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
(a) Going to the beach with the neighbor girl.
(b) Revenge against Joseph.
(c) Going back to his family.
(d) Revenge against Mr. Salgado.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the cashier been out of Sri Lanka?
2. After taking care of his car, what does the narrator do at the start of the story?
3. What does Mr. Salgado's house represent to Triton when he is a boy?
4. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
5. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
2. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
3. What does the London cashier say about the situation back home in Sri Lanka?
4. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
5. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
6. Through which character does the author choose to reveal the changing sociopolitical landscape of Sri Lanka across many decades?
7. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
8. Who is the narrator of the story?
9. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
10. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)