|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who stumbles towards the narrator and the cashier as the two are engrossed in conversation?
(a) Drunk man.
(b) Distraught child.
(c) Mutual friend.
(d) Police officer.
2. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
(a) He wears a necklace made of chili peppers.
(b) He hides a big stick under his bed.
(c) He carries a small pocketknife everywhere he goes.
(d) He rubs a raw onion all over his hands.
3. When the cashier experiences technical difficulties, what does he consider doing?
(a) Quitting his job.
(b) Throwing the unit away.
(c) Calling for help.
(d) Rummaging through the shed.
4. Why does the cashier want the narrator to use his phone?
(a) To speak with his boss.
(b) To call his landlady.
(c) To show him how to use the phone.
(d) To call the police.
5. Why does Triton run away from home?
(a) He burns a roof at his school and fears his father's wrath.
(b) His mother wants him to become a temple priest, but he refuses.
(c) He is tired of the daily beatings he receives from his uncle.
(d) He is the oldest of twelve kids and he wants to get away from the daily chaos.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cashier's immigration status?
2. What does Mr. Salgado's house represent to Triton when he is a boy?
3. How long has the cashier been out of Sri Lanka?
4. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
5. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the first section, what does the narrator begin to talk about with the gas station cashier?
2. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
3. Who is the narrator of the story?
4. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
5. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
6. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
7. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
8. During their first meeting, how does Triton reply when Mr. Salgado asks if he's been to school?
9. Where does this story begin?
10. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)