|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
(a) College education.
2. How is Mr. Salgado associated with the narrator?
(a) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's priest.
(b) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's uncle.
(c) The narrator used to work for Mr. Salgado.
(d) The narrator has Mr. Salgado arrested.
3. How long has the narrator been out of Sri Lanka?
(a) More than twenty years.
(b) Three years.
(c) Twelve years.
(d) Less than a month.
4. In what language does the narrator try to speak to the cashier?
5. After the cashier shares information about himself with the narrator, what does he ask?
(a) How the narrator likes London.
(b) If the narrator lives nearby.
(c) Where the narrator went to school.
(d) If the narrator is married.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
2. What vehicle does the narrator own when the story opens?
3. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
4. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
5. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the London cashier say about the situation back home in Sri Lanka?
2. How does Triton try to resurrect his and Mr. Salgado's business ownership dreams in London?
3. How does the personal transformation of Wijetunga, Mr. Salgado's work assistant, reflect the transformation taking place in Sri Lanka?
4. How does Triton feel about being left alone in London with Mr. Salgado returning to Sri Lanka?
5. Despite Mr. Salgado's lack of interest in running a restaurant, how does he go into business with Triton after purchasing a Volkswagen?
6. What dreams do Mr. Salgado and Triton leave behind in Sri Lanka after moving to England?
7. Why is the death of Sri Lanka's "most flamboyant millionaire" a hot topic of conversation among Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili, and their circle of friends?
8. Who is Nili?
9. At the start of the story, how does the narrator try to help the cashier?
10. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)