|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Joseph is in Mr. Salgado's room, what does he do when Triton finds him there?
(a) Lets out a loud scream.
(b) Pushes the boy onto the bed.
(c) Runs out the door.
(d) Threatens the boy with a knife.
2. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
(a) If the cashier knows what language is spoken in Sri Lanka.
(b) If there are many Sri Lankans living in London.
(c) If the cashier is from Sri Lanka.
(d) If there's a good Sri Lankan restaurant nearby.
3. The cashier says his Sri Lankan home is near what city?
4. One night, Triton dreams that there is a demon in the house, and in the morning he oversleeps. What does he tell Mr. Salgado that morning?
(a) Someone tries to break in, but Triton chases him away.
(b) Joseph steals Mr. Salgado's best wine the night before.
(c) The raging storm outside keeps Triton up all night.
(d) Triton fears the house may be haunted.
5. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
(a) He is from Sri Lanka.
(b) There is a good Sri Lankan restaurant thirty miles away.
(c) There is a huge community of Sri Lankans in London.
(d) His cousin teaches him a few words spoken in Sri Lanka.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
2. Why does Triton run away from home?
3. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
4. After taking care of his car, what does the narrator do at the start of the story?
5. What does the word "kolla" mean in Sinhala?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
2. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
3. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
4. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
5. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
6. What does the London cashier say about the situation back home in Sri Lanka?
7. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
8. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
9. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
10. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)