|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story, who is Joseph?
2. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
(a) He treats him kindly.
(b) He takes him under his wing.
(c) He largely ignores him.
(d) He resents him.
3. What languages does the cashier say he speaks?
(a) Hindi and a little English.
(b) Turkish and French.
(c) Tamil and a little English.
(d) Hebrew and French.
4. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
(a) He has no time for school because he's had to help raise his siblings.
(b) He's been to school at the temple and is familiar with religious teachings.
(c) He's been to school, knows how to read and write, and speaks some English.
(d) He has some schooling but he does not like the teachers.
5. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
(a) He carries a small pocketknife everywhere he goes.
(b) He wears a necklace made of chili peppers.
(c) He hides a big stick under his bed.
(d) He rubs a raw onion all over his hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
2. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
3. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
4. What vehicle does the narrator own when the story opens?
5. How long is the gas station cashier on the job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
2. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
3. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
4. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
5. Where does this story begin?
6. What does the London cashier say about the situation back home in Sri Lanka?
7. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
8. At the end of the first section, what does the narrator begin to talk about with the gas station cashier?
9. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
10. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)