Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the individual who approaches the cashier and narrator begin to do?
(a) Hammers at the window.
(b) Calls their names.
(c) Cries loudly.
(d) Laughs out loud.
2. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) Mr. Salgado returning.
(b) Stray cat.
(c) Wind knocking a window open.
(d) A robber.
3. What color is the narrator's vehicle mentioned at the start of the story?
4. The cashier experiences technical difficulties with what?
(a) Paint drying unit.
(b) Pressurized hose.
(c) Jumper cables.
(d) Electronic till.
5. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
(a) He's been to school, knows how to read and write, and speaks some English.
(b) He has some schooling but he does not like the teachers.
(c) He's been to school at the temple and is familiar with religious teachings.
(d) He has no time for school because he's had to help raise his siblings.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
2. Although Mr. Salgado goes to the best schools in Colombo, he considers himself what?
3. At the start of the story, what does the narrator notice about the cashier?
4. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
5. In the story, who is Joseph?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how at the end of the story, the novel comes full circle.
2. Describe the tension that exists between Mr. Salgado and the journalist who comes to ask him questions about sea erosion.
3. At the end of the first section, what does the narrator begin to talk about with the gas station cashier?
4. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
5. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
6. Who is Nili?
7. What gift does Nili bring Triton on Christmas Eve after the dinner party?
8. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
9. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
10. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)