|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The haberdasher who stops by Mr. Salgado's house on Thursdays is one of the what who stops by regularly?
2. With Joseph gone, Triton goes from being houseboy to being ___.
(a) Errand boy.
3. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the living room.
(c) At the courthouse.
(d) By the gate.
4. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
(a) Buys a new broom.
(b) Locks him in the basement.
(c) Laughs good-naturedly.
(d) Complains bitterly.
5. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
(a) So the monthly electric bill won't be as high.
(b) So he can take a ten-minute smoking break.
(c) To close early and go home to his family.
(d) To keep customers away while the problem is being resolved.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
2. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
3. Why are Triton and Joseph left alone at Mr. Salgado's house?
4. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
5. Meticulous when it comes to creating lists, what does the narrator log after servicing his car?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
2. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
3. Where does this story begin?
4. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
5. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
6. Who is the narrator of the story?
7. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
8. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
9. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
10. At the end of the first section, what does the narrator begin to talk about with the gas station cashier?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)