|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
(a) Revenge against Mr. Salgado.
(b) Going to the beach with the neighbor girl.
(c) Going back to his family.
(d) Revenge against Joseph.
2. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
3. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
(a) Stealing money.
(b) Trying out Mr. Salgado's clothes.
(c) Reading Mr. Salgado's diary.
(d) Rubbing cologne on his chest.
4. When Mr. Salgado takes a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, who is left in charge of the household?
(d) A neighbor.
5. With Joseph gone, Triton goes from being houseboy to being ___.
(c) Errand boy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
2. One night, Triton dreams that there is a demon in the house, and in the morning he oversleeps. What does he tell Mr. Salgado that morning?
3. How long is the gas station cashier on the job?
4. Why does Triton seek refuge in the kitchen?
5. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
2. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
3. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
4. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
5. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
6. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
7. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
8. What does the London cashier say about the situation back home in Sri Lanka?
9. What does Triton do right after he fills up the tank of his old Volkswagen?
10. Where does this story begin?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)