|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
(a) Piercing screams.
(b) Terrible howl.
(c) Beautiful singing.
(d) Loud music.
2. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
(a) If there's a good Sri Lankan restaurant nearby.
(b) If there are many Sri Lankans living in London.
(c) If the cashier is from Sri Lanka.
(d) If the cashier knows what language is spoken in Sri Lanka.
3. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
(a) A thousand miles.
(b) Six thousand miles.
(c) Two thousand eight hundred miles.
(d) Four hundred miles.
4. One night, Triton dreams that there is a demon in the house, and in the morning he oversleeps. What does he tell Mr. Salgado that morning?
(a) The raging storm outside keeps Triton up all night.
(b) Someone tries to break in, but Triton chases him away.
(c) Triton fears the house may be haunted.
(d) Joseph steals Mr. Salgado's best wine the night before.
5. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
(a) So he can take a ten-minute smoking break.
(b) To close early and go home to his family.
(c) So the monthly electric bill won't be as high.
(d) To keep customers away while the problem is being resolved.
Short Answer Questions
1. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
2. Who stumbles towards the narrator and the cashier as the two are engrossed in conversation?
3. When Triton takes a small red onion and cuts it into quarters, what does he intend to do?
4. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
5. Who is Lucy-amma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the London cashier say about the situation back home in Sri Lanka?
2. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
3. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
4. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
5. At the start of the story, how does the narrator try to help the cashier?
6. What does Triton do right after he fills up the tank of his old Volkswagen?
7. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
8. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
9. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
10. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)