|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) Stray cat.
(b) Wind knocking a window open.
(c) A robber.
(d) Mr. Salgado returning.
2. Meticulous when it comes to creating lists, what does the narrator log after servicing his car?
(a) Date, time, and battery model number.
(b) Month, day, year, and length of car wash.
(c) Date, time, and paint batch number.
(d) Mileage, date, and gasoline volume.
3. Why does Triton run away from home?
(a) He is the oldest of twelve kids and he wants to get away from the daily chaos.
(b) His mother wants him to become a temple priest, but he refuses.
(c) He is tired of the daily beatings he receives from his uncle.
(d) He burns a roof at his school and fears his father's wrath.
4. What is the cashier's immigration status?
(a) Dual citizen.
(c) Naturalized citizen.
(d) Illegal immigrant.
5. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
(b) Gold coins.
(d) Jasmine flowers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
2. With Joseph gone, Triton goes from being houseboy to being ___.
3. How old is Lucy-amma?
4. What languages does the cashier say he speaks?
5. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
Short Essay Questions
1. At the start of the story, how does the narrator try to help the cashier?
2. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
3. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
4. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
5. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
6. At the end of the first section, what does the narrator begin to talk about with the gas station cashier?
7. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
8. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
9. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
10. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)