|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
(a) So he can take a ten-minute smoking break.
(b) So the monthly electric bill won't be as high.
(c) To close early and go home to his family.
(d) To keep customers away while the problem is being resolved.
2. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
(a) Paces in the courtyard.
(b) Sits on the floor.
(c) Chats with a friend.
(d) Plays his guitar.
3. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
(a) He receives a shirt and is warned to stay sober from now on.
(b) He receives severance pay and is warned to never come back.
(c) He is given a cake and is told to leave Lucy-amma alone.
(d) He is given a farewell party and told never to go near Triton again.
4. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
(a) In the living room.
(b) At the courthouse.
(c) In the library.
(d) By the gate.
5. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
(a) Rubbing cologne on his chest.
(b) Reading Mr. Salgado's diary.
(c) Trying out Mr. Salgado's clothes.
(d) Stealing money.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a young servant for Mr. Salgado, Triton's regular duties include what?
2. When it starts to rain, Triton hopes that Joseph ____.
3. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
4. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
5. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
2. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
3. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
4. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
5. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
6. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
7. What does Triton do right after he fills up the tank of his old Volkswagen?
8. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
9. Where does this story begin?
10. During their first meeting, how does Triton reply when Mr. Salgado asks if he's been to school?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)