|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
(a) Trying out Mr. Salgado's clothes.
(b) Reading Mr. Salgado's diary.
(c) Rubbing cologne on his chest.
(d) Stealing money.
2. One night, Triton dreams that there is a demon in the house, and in the morning he oversleeps. What does he tell Mr. Salgado that morning?
(a) Triton fears the house may be haunted.
(b) Joseph steals Mr. Salgado's best wine the night before.
(c) The raging storm outside keeps Triton up all night.
(d) Someone tries to break in, but Triton chases him away.
3. What is the cashier's immigration status?
(a) Naturalized citizen.
(b) Illegal immigrant.
(c) Dual citizen.
4. Meticulous when it comes to creating lists, what does the narrator log after servicing his car?
(a) Date, time, and paint batch number.
(b) Date, time, and battery model number.
(c) Mileage, date, and gasoline volume.
(d) Month, day, year, and length of car wash.
5. What does the word "kolla" mean in Sinhala?
Short Answer Questions
1. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
2. Who is Lucy-amma?
3. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
4. After the cashier shares information about himself with the narrator, what does he ask?
5. What languages does the cashier say he speaks?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Miss Nili quits her job at The Sea Hopper Hotel, she spends much more time with Mr. Salgado. In what ways does he become more like her during this phase?
2. How does Triton feel about being left alone in London with Mr. Salgado returning to Sri Lanka?
3. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
4. How does the relationship between Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili change after the Christmas Eve party?
5. Describe the trip Mr. Salgado, Mr. Liyanage, and Triton take to the observatory.
6. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
7. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
8. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
9. Explain how the ocean is used as a significant symbol in "Part III, A Thousand Fingers".
10. Where does this story begin?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)