|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
(a) By the gate.
(b) In the living room.
(c) At the courthouse.
(d) In the library.
2. Who stumbles towards the narrator and the cashier as the two are engrossed in conversation?
(a) Drunk man.
(b) Mutual friend.
(c) Distraught child.
(d) Police officer.
3. The cashier says his Sri Lankan home is near what city?
4. Once inside the office, what does the narrator ask the cashier?
(a) How long he's been in England.
(b) Why he leaves his wife behind.
(c) Where he lives.
(d) Who helps him escape from Sri Lanka.
5. In the story, who is Joseph?
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
2. Why does Triton seek refuge in the kitchen?
3. The region of Sri Lanka that the cashier comes from is once what?
4. Meticulous when it comes to creating lists, what does the narrator log after servicing his car?
5. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
2. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
3. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
4. Where does this story begin?
5. At the start of the story, how does the narrator try to help the cashier?
6. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
7. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
8. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
9. At the end of the first section, what does the narrator begin to talk about with the gas station cashier?
10. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)