|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the cashier want the narrator to use his phone?
(a) To call his landlady.
(b) To show him how to use the phone.
(c) To speak with his boss.
(d) To call the police.
2. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
(a) Raking leaves.
(b) Baking cookies.
(c) Taking inventories.
(d) Digging an irrigation ditch.
3. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
(a) He wears a necklace made of chili peppers.
(b) He hides a big stick under his bed.
(c) He carries a small pocketknife everywhere he goes.
(d) He rubs a raw onion all over his hands.
4. Meticulous when it comes to creating lists, what does the narrator log after servicing his car?
(a) Month, day, year, and length of car wash.
(b) Date, time, and paint batch number.
(c) Date, time, and battery model number.
(d) Mileage, date, and gasoline volume.
5. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
(a) The wife steps on a cluster of poisonous scorpions.
(b) The wife rubs hot chillies all over her husband as punishment for his indiscretions.
(c) The husband is drunk and cranks up the volume of the radio and television.
(d) A visiting classical singer is trying to stay there without being noticed by the neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
2. When Joseph is in Mr. Salgado's room, what does he do when Triton finds him there?
3. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
4. The cashier experiences technical difficulties with what?
5. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
2. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
3. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
4. At the start of the story, how does the narrator try to help the cashier?
5. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
6. During their first meeting, how does Triton reply when Mr. Salgado asks if he's been to school?
7. What does Triton do right after he fills up the tank of his old Volkswagen?
8. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
9. Through which character does the author choose to reveal the changing sociopolitical landscape of Sri Lanka across many decades?
10. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)