|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
(a) Buys a new broom.
(b) Locks him in the basement.
(c) Complains bitterly.
(d) Laughs good-naturedly.
2. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
(a) The coffee shop.
(b) The garage.
(c) The deli.
(d) The office.
3. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) Wind knocking a window open.
(b) A robber.
(c) Mr. Salgado returning.
(d) Stray cat.
4. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
(a) In the living room.
(b) At the courthouse.
(c) In the library.
(d) By the gate.
5. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
(a) The wife rubs hot chillies all over her husband as punishment for his indiscretions.
(b) The wife steps on a cluster of poisonous scorpions.
(c) The husband is drunk and cranks up the volume of the radio and television.
(d) A visiting classical singer is trying to stay there without being noticed by the neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. After taking care of his car, what does the narrator do at the start of the story?
2. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
3. When Joseph is in Mr. Salgado's room, what does he do when Triton finds him there?
4. How is Mr. Salgado associated with the narrator?
5. When Mr. Salgado takes a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, who is left in charge of the household?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does this story begin?
2. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
3. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
4. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
5. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
6. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
7. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
8. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
9. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
10. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)