|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about Mr. Salgado captivates young Triton when they first meet?
(a) His gentle voice.
(b) His colorful shirts.
(c) His unusual glasses.
(d) His ever-present smile.
2. Why is the cashier impressed with the narrator?
(a) He used to be a marine biologist.
(b) He attends Oxford.
(c) He is a vegetarian.
(d) He owns a restaurant.
3. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
(a) That Joseph throws him into the bay.
(b) That Joseph forces him to sleep outside, under the bridge.
(c) That Joseph starves him.
(d) That Joseph's brothers beats him up.
4. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
(a) He is given a farewell party and told never to go near Triton again.
(b) He receives severance pay and is warned to never come back.
(c) He is given a cake and is told to leave Lucy-amma alone.
(d) He receives a shirt and is warned to stay sober from now on.
5. How long is the gas station cashier on the job?
(a) It's the end of his first week.
(b) Ten days.
(c) It's his first night.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
2. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
3. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
4. Why does Triton run away from home?
5. What languages does the cashier say he speaks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
2. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
3. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
4. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
5. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
6. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
7. When he is a boy, why does Triton regard Mr. Salgado's house as the "center of the universe"?
8. Where does this story begin?
9. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
10. Describe the Volkswagen introduced in the first part of the book.
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)