|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a young servant for Mr. Salgado, Triton's regular duties include what?
(a) Watering plants and taking food to the poor.
(b) Milking cows and gathering eggs.
(c) Serving tea and sweeping floors.
(d) Organizing books and catching fish.
2. In response to the intrusion upon the conversation between him and the narrator, what does the cashier do?
(a) Takes out his pepper spray.
(b) Turns off the cubicle light.
(c) Hugs the individual who approached them.
(d) Shows the approaching individual the "Closed" sign.
3. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
(a) Trying out Mr. Salgado's clothes.
(b) Rubbing cologne on his chest.
(c) Reading Mr. Salgado's diary.
(d) Stealing money.
4. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
(a) Washing his car.
(b) Painting his car.
(c) Filling the tank of his car.
(d) Replacing the battery of his car.
5. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
(a) He rubs a raw onion all over his hands.
(b) He hides a big stick under his bed.
(c) He wears a necklace made of chili peppers.
(d) He carries a small pocketknife everywhere he goes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Mr. Salgado captivates young Triton when they first meet?
2. In the story, who is Joseph?
3. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
4. When the narrator and cashier meet, what is happening in Sri Lanka?
5. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
2. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
3. In "Part 1, Kolla", why is Triton left alone in Mr. Salgado's house?
4. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
5. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
6. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
7. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
8. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
9. Through which character does the author choose to reveal the changing sociopolitical landscape of Sri Lanka across many decades?
10. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)