|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what language does the narrator try to speak to the cashier?
2. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
(a) He rubs a raw onion all over his hands.
(b) He carries a small pocketknife everywhere he goes.
(c) He wears a necklace made of chili peppers.
(d) He hides a big stick under his bed.
3. When Joseph leaves and Triton is left alone in the house, how does the boy feel?
(c) Terribly frightened.
(d) At peace.
4. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
(a) Stealing money.
(b) Rubbing cologne on his chest.
(c) Reading Mr. Salgado's diary.
(d) Trying out Mr. Salgado's clothes.
5. After the cashier shares information about himself with the narrator, what does he ask?
(a) If the narrator lives nearby.
(b) Where the narrator went to school.
(c) How the narrator likes London.
(d) If the narrator is married.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Triton seek refuge in the kitchen?
2. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
3. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
4. The cashier says his Sri Lankan home is near what city?
5. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
Short Essay Questions
1. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
2. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
3. At the start of the story, how does the narrator try to help the cashier?
4. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
5. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
6. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
7. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
8. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
9. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
10. What does Triton do right after he fills up the tank of his old Volkswagen?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)