|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has the cashier been out of Sri Lanka?
(a) A decade.
(b) Fairly recently.
(c) Seven years ago.
(d) A year and a half.
2. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
(a) He hides a big stick under his bed.
(b) He wears a necklace made of chili peppers.
(c) He rubs a raw onion all over his hands.
(d) He carries a small pocketknife everywhere he goes.
3. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
(a) Bay-fronted house.
(b) Flower-adorned shrine.
(c) Dome-shaped temple.
(d) Glass-bottom boat.
4. In the story, who is Joseph?
5. Why does Triton run away from home?
(a) His mother wants him to become a temple priest, but he refuses.
(b) He burns a roof at his school and fears his father's wrath.
(c) He is the oldest of twelve kids and he wants to get away from the daily chaos.
(d) He is tired of the daily beatings he receives from his uncle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
2. After taking care of his car, what does the narrator do at the start of the story?
3. Why does Triton seek refuge in the kitchen?
4. Why does the cashier want the narrator to use his phone?
5. One night, Triton dreams that there is a demon in the house, and in the morning he oversleeps. What does he tell Mr. Salgado that morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Triton grow and develop further in London?
2. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
3. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
4. How does Mr. Salgado react when Triton shows him a newspaper story about a symposium on "Man and Coral"?
5. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
6. Describe Nili's reaction when she accompanies Triton to the fish market.
7. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
8. Despite his misgivings, Mr. Salgado accepts the job offered to him by his friend, Mr. Dias Liyanage. How does this affect Triton?
9. During the festive dinner party at his home with Miss Nili and several other distinguished guests, what does Mr. Salgado talk about?
10. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)