|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
(a) Revenge against Mr. Salgado.
(b) Going back to his family.
(c) Revenge against Joseph.
(d) Going to the beach with the neighbor girl.
2. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
(a) If there are many Sri Lankans living in London.
(b) If the cashier is from Sri Lanka.
(c) If the cashier knows what language is spoken in Sri Lanka.
(d) If there's a good Sri Lankan restaurant nearby.
3. The region of Sri Lanka that the cashier comes from is once what?
(a) A coffee-producing economic center.
(b) A diver's paradise.
(c) A seafood cornucopia.
(d) A sanctuary for plant scientists.
4. Meticulous when it comes to creating lists, what does the narrator log after servicing his car?
(a) Mileage, date, and gasoline volume.
(b) Date, time, and paint batch number.
(c) Date, time, and battery model number.
(d) Month, day, year, and length of car wash.
5. When Triton takes a small red onion and cuts it into quarters, what does he intend to do?
(a) Protect himself against ghosts and demons.
(b) Hurt Joseph somehow.
(c) Season his food with it.
(d) Play a prank on his neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
2. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
3. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
4. What is Triton worried about, regarding being under Joseph's rule?
5. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
2. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
3. Why is young Triton brought to Mr. Salgado's home?
4. Where does this story begin?
5. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
6. During their first meeting, how does Triton reply when Mr. Salgado asks if he's been to school?
7. What does the London cashier say about the situation back home in Sri Lanka?
8. Why does the gas station cashier want the narrator to speak with his boss?
9. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
10. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)