|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The cashier experiences technical difficulties with what?
(a) Jumper cables.
(b) Paint drying unit.
(c) Electronic till.
(d) Pressurized hose.
2. In response to the intrusion upon the conversation between him and the narrator, what does the cashier do?
(a) Shows the approaching individual the "Closed" sign.
(b) Takes out his pepper spray.
(c) Hugs the individual who approached them.
(d) Turns off the cubicle light.
3. Why is the cashier impressed with the narrator?
(a) He used to be a marine biologist.
(b) He attends Oxford.
(c) He is a vegetarian.
(d) He owns a restaurant.
4. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
(a) Beautiful singing.
(b) Piercing screams.
(c) Loud music.
(d) Terrible howl.
5. In the story, who is Joseph?
Short Answer Questions
1. What languages does the cashier say he speaks?
2. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
3. Once inside the office, what does the narrator ask the cashier?
4. When Triton takes a small red onion and cuts it into quarters, what does he intend to do?
5. What does Mr. Salgado's house represent to Triton when he is a boy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Through which character does the author choose to reveal the changing sociopolitical landscape of Sri Lanka across many decades?
2. What happens in 1962, when Triton's narration begins?
3. What happens when Mr. Salgado returns home from his trip to the tea estate?
4. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
5. The narrator speaks with a gas station cashier. How experienced is the cashier with his job?
6. During their first meeting, how does Triton reply when Mr. Salgado asks if he's been to school?
7. Why does Triton often seek refuge in Lucy-amma's kitchen?
8. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
9. When the cashier asks the narrator if he lives close by, what does the man reply?
10. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)