|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
(a) The husband is drunk and cranks up the volume of the radio and television.
(b) The wife rubs hot chillies all over her husband as punishment for his indiscretions.
(c) The wife steps on a cluster of poisonous scorpions.
(d) A visiting classical singer is trying to stay there without being noticed by the neighbors.
2. Why does Triton run away from home?
(a) His mother wants him to become a temple priest, but he refuses.
(b) He burns a roof at his school and fears his father's wrath.
(c) He is tired of the daily beatings he receives from his uncle.
(d) He is the oldest of twelve kids and he wants to get away from the daily chaos.
3. Meticulous when it comes to creating lists, what does the narrator log after servicing his car?
(a) Date, time, and battery model number.
(b) Date, time, and paint batch number.
(c) Mileage, date, and gasoline volume.
(d) Month, day, year, and length of car wash.
4. How long is the gas station cashier on the job?
(a) It's the end of his first week.
(b) Ten days.
(c) One month.
(d) It's his first night.
5. When Joseph is in Mr. Salgado's room, what does he do when Triton finds him there?
(a) Runs out the door.
(b) Pushes the boy onto the bed.
(c) Threatens the boy with a knife.
(d) Lets out a loud scream.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Salgado's house represent to Triton when he is a boy?
2. When the narrator and cashier meet, what is happening in Sri Lanka?
3. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
4. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
5. With Joseph gone, Triton goes from being houseboy to being ___.
Short Essay Questions
1. During their first meeting, how does Triton reply when Mr. Salgado asks if he's been to school?
2. Who is the narrator of the story?
3. Where does this story begin?
4. What does Triton do right after he fills up the tank of his old Volkswagen?
5. Describe the relationship between Triton and Mr. Salgado.
6. In the opening scene, what kind of trouble does the cashier experience?
7. What are young Triton's main duties at Mr. Salgado's house?
8. At the start of the story, who does the narrator speak with?
9. When Mr. Salgado leaves for a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, what additional responsibilities does he give Triton?
10. Describe the relationship between Triton and Joseph.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)