|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Triton find inside the cookbook he receives?
(a) A map of Sri Lanka.
(b) A letter meant for someone else.
(c) A thank you letter.
(d) A one hundred rupee note.
2. Mr. Salgado tells Triton that Dias is dead and explains that he ___.
(a) Dies of a heart attack.
(b) Drowns at sea.
(c) Is assassinated.
(d) Crashes the jeep against a tree.
3. Mr. Dias Liyanage wants Mr. Salgado to take a job with a foundation interested in what?
(a) Cultural preservation.
(b) Soil conservation.
(c) Fishing industry.
(d) Coral business.
4. During a trip to the bungalow observatory, how does Triton help out?
(a) Cooking and doing housework.
(b) Sweeping the surrounding pathways.
(c) Taking dictation for Mr. Salgado.
(d) Rearranging science books on the shelves.
5. Who calls Nili right before lunch is served to the poker crowd?
(a) Her sister.
(d) Her former employer.
6. Triton's wish to see more of the outside world comes true when Mr. Salgado takes him to ___.
(a) The amusement park.
(b) The coffee plantation.
(c) The observatory.
(d) The library.
7. Who carves the turkey during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(a) Mr. Salgado.
(c) Miss Nili.
8. When Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado are out one evening, Triton wonders what his life is like if he ___.
(a) Never leaves his childhood home.
(b) Stows away on a passing ship.
(c) Learns to sew or play the piano.
(d) Works in a restaurant or goex to hotel school.
9. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
(a) Takes a three-day trip.
(b) Moves in with Mr. Salgado.
(c) Quits her job.
(d) Bakes Triton a cake.
10. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
(a) A note from Miss Nili to Mr. Salgado.
(b) Mr. Salgado with another woman.
(c) Mr. Salgado doing drugs.
(d) A nude Miss Nili.
11. Why is Wijetunga dismayed when Triton tell hims that Miss Nili runs a hotel?
(a) He used to date Miss Nili and does not want to hear about her.
(b) He once has a terrible accident at a hotel.
(c) He believes women should not work in business.
(d) He believes tourists ruin their country.
12. Why is Mr. Salgado distracted on the drive to the observatory?
(a) He has a lot on his mind.
(b) He's too busy reciting poetry.
(c) Mr. Dias Liyanage is talking too much.
(d) He's too hungry to focus on driving.
13. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
(c) Get out of bed.
(d) Leave her room.
14. Why does Wijetunga tell Triton that children need an education?
(a) To have the opportunity to leave Sri Lanka if they wish.
(b) So they can question authority.
(c) So they can make something of themselves.
(d) To later earn a good living and support a large family.
15. After Miss Nili stops working at The Sea Hopper Hotel, what dream does she develop?
(a) To build her own hotel.
(b) To start a school for chefs.
(c) To become a tour guide in the island's pearl district.
(d) To get married and have five children.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Mr. Salgado drives the Land-Rover to the observatory, what does he almost hit?
2. How does Mr. Salgado feel when Miss Nili is around?
3. How do the guests react to the meal Triton prepares for Christmas Eve?
4. What does Miss Nili do after she and Mr. Salgado return from the inauguration party?
5. As Triton unpacks Nili's suitcases, what fascinates him?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)