|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wijetunga tell Triton that children need an education?
(a) So they can make something of themselves.
(b) To later earn a good living and support a large family.
(c) To have the opportunity to leave Sri Lanka if they wish.
(d) So they can question authority.
2. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
(a) She has a good effect on Mr. Salgado.
(b) She brings him news of his family.
(c) She always tips him after he serves dinner.
(d) He likes how she smells of jasmine blossoms.
3. As Triton unpacks Nili's suitcases, what fascinates him?
(a) Her large collection of perfumes and colognes.
(b) The unusual color of her suitcases.
(c) The fabric her clothes are made of.
(d) The magazines she reads.
4. Wijetunga's radical idea about improving his country is to ___.
(a) Legalize gambling.
(b) Make alliances with their enemies.
(c) Use every available space for growing fruits and vegetables.
(d) First destroy in order to create something better.
5. Why does Nili worry that she's really not invited to the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party?
(a) Her name does not appear on the invitation.
(b) She's not a wife.
(c) Mr. Salgado often gets the details wrong.
(d) One of the party organizers dislikes her.
6. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
(a) Takes a three-day trip.
(b) Moves in with Mr. Salgado.
(c) Bakes Triton a cake.
(d) Quits her job.
7. What does Miss Nili do after she and Mr. Salgado return from the inauguration party?
(a) Plays sultry music.
(b) Prepares coffee for everyone.
(c) Takes a walk along the beach.
(d) Sits on the sofa and cries.
8. Why is Triton worried about having to move Mr. Salgado's shoes to the spare room?
(a) He doesn't want to damage them.
(b) He's afraid of mixing them up.
(c) He has an irrational fear of shoes.
(d) There is very little space there for them.
9. What does Miss Nili drop during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(a) Piece of turkey.
(b) Glass of wine.
(c) Cup of coffee.
(d) Piece of pie.
10. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
(a) He goes through a bitter divorce and child custody battle.
(b) He becomes a vegetarian and speaks of attaining enlightenment.
(c) He completes his education and knows almost as much as Mr. Salgado does about reefs.
(d) He grows a beard, is kinder to Triton, and speaks of revolution.
11. What changes does Miss Nili's presence create in Mr. Salgado?
(a) He comes to life, becoming more radiant and outgoing.
(b) He becomes more withdrawn than before.
(c) He becomes distracted and forgetful.
(d) He begins to act more arrogantly.
12. What is the Mahaweli Scheme?
(a) An extensive food cooperative.
(b) An inland irrigation project.
(c) A reef protection initiative.
(d) A child protection plan.
13. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
(b) Get out of bed.
(d) Leave her room.
14. Why does Mr. Salgado start to ignore marine-related projects that used to captivate him?
(a) He's too preoccupied with Wijetunga's transformation.
(b) Spending time with Miss Nili, he becomes a socialite.
(c) He turns his attention to musical pursuits.
(d) The government interferes too much with his science projects.
15. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
(a) Mr. Salgado with another woman.
(b) A note from Miss Nili to Mr. Salgado.
(c) A nude Miss Nili.
(d) Mr. Salgado doing drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Triton serve the Christmas Eve dinner guests for dessert?
2. When does Miss Nili start visiting Mr. Salgado?
3. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
4. Who is Wijetunga?
5. When Robert brings by a journalist to see Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili greets them wearing what?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)