|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Dias Liyanage wants Mr. Salgado to take a job with a foundation interested in what?
(a) Soil conservation.
(b) Coral business.
(c) Cultural preservation.
(d) Fishing industry.
2. As Triton watches Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili taking a stroll down the beach, he imagines ___.
(a) The ocean snatching at their ankles.
(b) A sea monster rising up from the depths.
(c) Dolphins speaking about the reefs.
(d) A pirate ship sailing in the distance.
3. With Mr. Salgado spending more time out of the house with his new job, Triton spends more time doing what?
4. What does Mr. Salgado talk about during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(a) His new car.
(b) The ocean's thermodynamics.
(c) Miss Nili's job at the hotel.
(d) The shifting trade winds.
5. Triton's wish to see more of the outside world comes true when Mr. Salgado takes him to ___.
(a) The library.
(b) The coffee plantation.
(c) The amusement park.
(d) The observatory.
6. While the group has dinner at the observatory, Mr. Salgado talks about an idea he has about creating an instrument to ___.
(a) Measure sound waves.
(b) Detect large schools of fish along the coast.
(c) Remove pollutants from the bay.
(d) Generate electricity from the sea.
7. When another guest arrives for the Christmas Eve dinner at Mr. Salgado's house, what does Triton do?
(a) Storms off in anger because nobody tells him about the guest in advance.
(b) Gives up his portion of the food so that the unexpected guest may eat.
(c) Complains to Mr. Salgado that there is not enough food to go around.
(d) Quickly arranges another setting at the table to avoid an awkward moment.
8. How do the guests react to the meal Triton prepares for Christmas Eve?
(a) They tell him it's too cold.
(b) They don't like it but they're polite about it.
(c) They are underwhelmed.
(d) They are impressed.
9. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
(a) Get out of bed.
(d) Leave her room.
10. While Triton is in the kitchen after the Christmas Eve dinner, who visits him, and why?
(a) Miss Nili to give him a present.
(b) Mr. Salgado to give him further instructions.
(c) Joseph to apologize for his past behavior.
(d) One of the foreign guests to thank him.
11. As Triton unpacks Nili's suitcases, what fascinates him?
(a) The unusual color of her suitcases.
(b) The magazines she reads.
(c) The fabric her clothes are made of.
(d) Her large collection of perfumes and colognes.
12. As Mr. Salgado drives the Land-Rover to the observatory, what does he almost hit?
13. What is the Mahaweli Scheme?
(a) An inland irrigation project.
(b) A child protection plan.
(c) A reef protection initiative.
(d) An extensive food cooperative.
14. How does Mr. Salgado treat Robert and the journalist?
(a) With tolerance.
(b) With impatience.
(c) With respect.
(d) With suspicion.
15. What does Miss Nili do after she and Mr. Salgado return from the inauguration party?
(a) Plays sultry music.
(b) Sits on the sofa and cries.
(c) Takes a walk along the beach.
(d) Prepares coffee for everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Salgado feel whenever Miss Nili is not around?
2. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
3. Why does Salgado say he's reluctant to work for the government?
4. One evening, Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado argue about what to do because Nili wants to go out but Salgado wants to ___.
5. Why does Nili worry that she's really not invited to the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)