|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) She orders repairs and remodels.
(b) She insists on doing most of the cooking herself.
(c) She insists on new routines and schedules.
(d) She hires additional household staff.
2. Why does Salgado say he's reluctant to work for the government?
(a) He would rather conduct his research independently.
(b) The government does not run the program correctly.
(c) There is little pay in working for the government.
(d) He does not want to play the politicians' games.
3. As Triton unpacks Nili's suitcases, what fascinates him?
(a) The magazines she reads.
(b) The unusual color of her suitcases.
(c) The fabric her clothes are made of.
(d) Her large collection of perfumes and colognes.
4. After Miss Nili stops working at The Sea Hopper Hotel, what dream does she develop?
(a) To start a school for chefs.
(b) To become a tour guide in the island's pearl district.
(c) To get married and have five children.
(d) To build her own hotel.
5. When Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado are out one evening, Triton wonders what his life is like if he ___.
(a) Works in a restaurant or goex to hotel school.
(b) Learns to sew or play the piano.
(c) Stows away on a passing ship.
(d) Never leaves his childhood home.
6. When Robert brings by a journalist to see Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili greets them wearing what?
(a) A bathing suit.
(b) Curlers in her hair.
(c) Her kimono.
(d) Mr. Salgado's bathrobe.
7. Why is Wijetunga dismayed when Triton tell hims that Miss Nili runs a hotel?
(a) He used to date Miss Nili and does not want to hear about her.
(b) He once has a terrible accident at a hotel.
(c) He believes women should not work in business.
(d) He believes tourists ruin their country.
8. While Triton is in the kitchen after the Christmas Eve dinner, who visits him, and why?
(a) Joseph to apologize for his past behavior.
(b) Miss Nili to give him a present.
(c) Mr. Salgado to give him further instructions.
(d) One of the foreign guests to thank him.
9. When Mr. Salgado brings up the story of an ark, how do the other guests react?
(a) Sing a song they learn as children.
(b) Look at their watches and leave because it's late.
(c) Join in and offer their own theories.
(d) Tell him he's being ridiculous.
10. Triton's wish to see more of the outside world comes true when Mr. Salgado takes him to ___.
(a) The observatory.
(b) The coffee plantation.
(c) The library.
(d) The amusement park.
11. How does Nili feel about the food Triton prepares?
(a) She tolerates it.
(b) She loves it.
(c) She'd rather he add more spices.
(d) She thinks he can do much better.
12. With Mr. Salgado spending more time out of the house with his new job, Triton spends more time doing what?
13. As Triton closes up the main house following the Christmas Eve dinner, who does he find together on the sofa?
(a) Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili.
(b) Robert and Miss Ellie.
(c) Miss Nili and Robert.
(d) Miss Ellie and Joseph.
14. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
(a) He becomes a vegetarian and speaks of attaining enlightenment.
(b) He completes his education and knows almost as much as Mr. Salgado does about reefs.
(c) He goes through a bitter divorce and child custody battle.
(d) He grows a beard, is kinder to Triton, and speaks of revolution.
15. Wijetunga's radical idea about improving his country is to ___.
(a) First destroy in order to create something better.
(b) Make alliances with their enemies.
(c) Use every available space for growing fruits and vegetables.
(d) Legalize gambling.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Wijetunga?
2. What does Triton serve the Christmas Eve dinner guests for dessert?
3. For the dinner party on Christmas Eve, what does Triton cook for the first time ever?
4. As Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado get ready to attend the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party, Triton gets the sense that things are ___.
5. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)