|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who carves the turkey during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(a) Mr. Salgado.
(b) Miss Nili.
2. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
(a) Bakes Triton a cake.
(b) Moves in with Mr. Salgado.
(c) Quits her job.
(d) Takes a three-day trip.
3. What does Miss Nili do after she and Mr. Salgado return from the inauguration party?
(a) Takes a walk along the beach.
(b) Sits on the sofa and cries.
(c) Plays sultry music.
(d) Prepares coffee for everyone.
4. What does Triton serve the Christmas Eve dinner guests for dessert?
(a) Christmas cookies.
(b) Coconut cream pie.
(c) Christmas pudding.
(d) Pumpkin pie.
5. Why does Miss Nili borrow Mr. Salgado's blue shirt?
(a) To use as a sample so that another like it can be made for him.
(b) It goes well with her cream-colored skirt.
(c) She wants to have it laundered because she accidentally spilled wine on it.
(d) Her little brother needs a blue shirt for his school play.
6. What does Miss Nili advise regarding the holiday decor?
(a) To add shinier decor.
(b) To take down most of it.
(c) To add more Christmas tree decorations.
(d) To cover the house in twinkling lights.
7. When another guest arrives for the Christmas Eve dinner at Mr. Salgado's house, what does Triton do?
(a) Gives up his portion of the food so that the unexpected guest may eat.
(b) Complains to Mr. Salgado that there is not enough food to go around.
(c) Storms off in anger because nobody tells him about the guest in advance.
(d) Quickly arranges another setting at the table to avoid an awkward moment.
8. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) She insists on new routines and schedules.
(b) She insists on doing most of the cooking herself.
(c) She hires additional household staff.
(d) She orders repairs and remodels.
9. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
(a) She has a good effect on Mr. Salgado.
(b) He likes how she smells of jasmine blossoms.
(c) She brings him news of his family.
(d) She always tips him after he serves dinner.
10. Who is Palitha Aluthgoda, a prominent figure who is assassinated?
(a) An arrogant television star.
(b) A popular, wealthy businessman.
(c) Triton's uncle.
(d) Mr. Salgado's former professor.
11. Why is Triton worried about having to move Mr. Salgado's shoes to the spare room?
(a) He doesn't want to damage them.
(b) He's afraid of mixing them up.
(c) There is very little space there for them.
(d) He has an irrational fear of shoes.
12. Mr. Dias Liyanage wants Mr. Salgado to take a job with a foundation interested in what?
(a) Cultural preservation.
(b) Coral business.
(c) Soil conservation.
(d) Fishing industry.
13. Triton's wish to see more of the outside world comes true when Mr. Salgado takes him to ___.
(a) The coffee plantation.
(b) The library.
(c) The amusement park.
(d) The observatory.
14. As Mr. Salgado drives the Land-Rover to the observatory, what does he almost hit?
15. Where do the Christmas Eve dinner guests retire to while Triton clears the table?
(a) Sitting room for coffee.
(b) Lounge to watch television.
(c) Garden to enjoy some fresh air.
(d) Game room to play a board game.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wijetunga tell Triton that children need an education?
2. After Miss Nili stops working at The Sea Hopper Hotel, what dream does she develop?
3. Wijetunga's radical idea about improving his country is to ___.
4. How does Mr. Salgado feel whenever Miss Nili is not around?
5. As Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado get ready to attend the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party, Triton gets the sense that things are ___.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)