|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) She orders repairs and remodels.
(b) She hires additional household staff.
(c) She insists on new routines and schedules.
(d) She insists on doing most of the cooking herself.
2. What kind of fish does Triton purchase from a group of fishermen?
(a) Black ghost knifefish.
(b) Blue-striped parrot fish.
(c) Flower horn fish.
(d) Butterfly peacock fish.
3. When does Miss Nili start visiting Mr. Salgado?
(a) February 1967.
(b) April 1969.
(c) June 1965.
(d) December 1971.
4. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
(b) Get out of bed.
(c) Leave her room.
5. What does Triton do after he finishes serving Christmas Eve dinner to Mr. Salgado and his guests?
(a) Eats his meal out in the garden.
(b) Pulls a chair up and joins the party.
(c) Goes outside to gaze at the stars.
(d) Moves to the doorway and watches the guests.
6. While working for Mr. Salgado, how does Triton educate himself?
(a) Reading his neighbor's schoolbooks.
(b) Sneaking into the neighborhood school while his employer naps.
(c) His employer hires a tutor for him.
(d) Watching educational television shows.
7. What do Robert and the journalist want to know when they stop by to visit Mr. Salgado?
(a) How the project to convert the ocean's energy into electricity is coming along.
(b) How the coastal village lifestyle is changing due to sea erosion.
(c) How quickly the reef is deteriorating.
(d) How much it costs to build a protective seawall.
8. Why does Miss Nili borrow Mr. Salgado's blue shirt?
(a) She wants to have it laundered because she accidentally spilled wine on it.
(b) To use as a sample so that another like it can be made for him.
(c) Her little brother needs a blue shirt for his school play.
(d) It goes well with her cream-colored skirt.
9. What does Triton find inside the cookbook he receives?
(a) A one hundred rupee note.
(b) A letter meant for someone else.
(c) A map of Sri Lanka.
(d) A thank you letter.
10. How does Mr. Salgado feel when Miss Nili is around?
11. What does Triton do while the men at the poker party chat over drinks?
(a) Cleans the kitchen.
(b) Talks with Miss Nili.
(c) Walks in the garden.
(d) Makes himself a sandwich.
12. During a trip to the bungalow observatory, how does Triton help out?
(a) Rearranging science books on the shelves.
(b) Taking dictation for Mr. Salgado.
(c) Sweeping the surrounding pathways.
(d) Cooking and doing housework.
13. When the men at the poker party call to Triton to bring more beer, what does he do?
(a) Brings coffee instead.
(b) Brings wine instead.
(c) Goes fishing.
(d) Ignores them.
14. Why is Wijetunga dismayed when Triton tell hims that Miss Nili runs a hotel?
(a) He once has a terrible accident at a hotel.
(b) He believes women should not work in business.
(c) He believes tourists ruin their country.
(d) He used to date Miss Nili and does not want to hear about her.
15. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
(a) Mr. Salgado doing drugs.
(b) A nude Miss Nili.
(c) A note from Miss Nili to Mr. Salgado.
(d) Mr. Salgado with another woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the group has dinner at the observatory, Mr. Salgado talks about an idea he has about creating an instrument to ___.
2. Mr. Salgado tells Triton that Dias is dead and explains that he ___.
3. At the Christmas Eve dinner, who watches Miss Nili intently as she speaks?
4. Triton recalls a time when he is making lasagna and Nili tells him that ___.
5. What does Triton serve the Christmas Eve dinner guests for dessert?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)