|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Salgado say he's reluctant to work for the government?
(a) He would rather conduct his research independently.
(b) There is little pay in working for the government.
(c) He does not want to play the politicians' games.
(d) The government does not run the program correctly.
2. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) She insists on new routines and schedules.
(b) She insists on doing most of the cooking herself.
(c) She hires additional household staff.
(d) She orders repairs and remodels.
3. As Triton closes up the main house following the Christmas Eve dinner, who does he find together on the sofa?
(a) Miss Ellie and Joseph.
(b) Miss Nili and Robert.
(c) Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili.
(d) Robert and Miss Ellie.
4. What does Miss Nili advise regarding the holiday decor?
(a) To take down most of it.
(b) To add shinier decor.
(c) To cover the house in twinkling lights.
(d) To add more Christmas tree decorations.
5. As Triton watches Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili taking a stroll down the beach, he imagines ___.
(a) The ocean snatching at their ankles.
(b) A sea monster rising up from the depths.
(c) Dolphins speaking about the reefs.
(d) A pirate ship sailing in the distance.
6. When Mr. Salgado brings up the story of an ark, how do the other guests react?
(a) Join in and offer their own theories.
(b) Sing a song they learn as children.
(c) Tell him he's being ridiculous.
(d) Look at their watches and leave because it's late.
7. What does Mr. Salgado talk about during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(a) His new car.
(b) Miss Nili's job at the hotel.
(c) The shifting trade winds.
(d) The ocean's thermodynamics.
8. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
(a) He goes through a bitter divorce and child custody battle.
(b) He completes his education and knows almost as much as Mr. Salgado does about reefs.
(c) He becomes a vegetarian and speaks of attaining enlightenment.
(d) He grows a beard, is kinder to Triton, and speaks of revolution.
9. How does Mr. Salgado feel when Miss Nili is around?
10. Why is Triton worried about having to move Mr. Salgado's shoes to the spare room?
(a) He has an irrational fear of shoes.
(b) He doesn't want to damage them.
(c) There is very little space there for them.
(d) He's afraid of mixing them up.
11. What does Triton find inside the cookbook he receives?
(a) A map of Sri Lanka.
(b) A one hundred rupee note.
(c) A thank you letter.
(d) A letter meant for someone else.
12. For the holidays, what does Mr. Salgado bring home for the first time ever?
(a) Dark chocolate fudge.
(b) Nativity scene.
(c) Christmas tree.
(d) Pumpkin pie.
13. When Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado are out one evening, Triton wonders what his life is like if he ___.
(a) Never leaves his childhood home.
(b) Learns to sew or play the piano.
(c) Stows away on a passing ship.
(d) Works in a restaurant or goex to hotel school.
14. How does Nili feel about the food Triton prepares?
(a) She thinks he can do much better.
(b) She'd rather he add more spices.
(c) She tolerates it.
(d) She loves it.
15. Why does Wijetunga tell Triton that children need an education?
(a) So they can make something of themselves.
(b) So they can question authority.
(c) To later earn a good living and support a large family.
(d) To have the opportunity to leave Sri Lanka if they wish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
2. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
3. Triton's wish to see more of the outside world comes true when Mr. Salgado takes him to ___.
4. How does Triton change after Nili joins the household?
5. Who is Palitha Aluthgoda, a prominent figure who is assassinated?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)