|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Miss Nili stops working at The Sea Hopper Hotel, what dream does she develop?
(a) To become a tour guide in the island's pearl district.
(b) To get married and have five children.
(c) To start a school for chefs.
(d) To build her own hotel.
2. What does Triton do while the men at the poker party chat over drinks?
(a) Cleans the kitchen.
(b) Makes himself a sandwich.
(c) Talks with Miss Nili.
(d) Walks in the garden.
3. Why is Mr. Salgado distracted on the drive to the observatory?
(a) He's too busy reciting poetry.
(b) He has a lot on his mind.
(c) Mr. Dias Liyanage is talking too much.
(d) He's too hungry to focus on driving.
4. What does Miss Nili do after she and Mr. Salgado return from the inauguration party?
(a) Sits on the sofa and cries.
(b) Plays sultry music.
(c) Takes a walk along the beach.
(d) Prepares coffee for everyone.
5. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
(a) A note from Miss Nili to Mr. Salgado.
(b) A nude Miss Nili.
(c) Mr. Salgado doing drugs.
(d) Mr. Salgado with another woman.
6. Who is Wijetunga?
(a) Mr. Salgado's next-door neighbor.
(b) Triton's father.
(c) Triton's youngest brother.
(d) Mr. Salgado's assistant at the observatory.
7. While Triton is in the kitchen after the Christmas Eve dinner, who visits him, and why?
(a) Miss Nili to give him a present.
(b) Joseph to apologize for his past behavior.
(c) Mr. Salgado to give him further instructions.
(d) One of the foreign guests to thank him.
8. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) She insists on doing most of the cooking herself.
(b) She hires additional household staff.
(c) She insists on new routines and schedules.
(d) She orders repairs and remodels.
9. One evening, Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado argue about what to do because Nili wants to go out but Salgado wants to ___.
(a) Have a poker party.
(b) Work on his project.
(c) Visit his brother.
(d) Eat leftovers.
10. Why does Wijetunga tell Triton that children need an education?
(a) So they can question authority.
(b) So they can make something of themselves.
(c) To have the opportunity to leave Sri Lanka if they wish.
(d) To later earn a good living and support a large family.
11. Triton's wish to see more of the outside world comes true when Mr. Salgado takes him to ___.
(a) The coffee plantation.
(b) The library.
(c) The observatory.
(d) The amusement park.
12. When Triton goes back to the kitchen as holiday dinner guests start to leave, how does he feel?
(a) Overwhelmed by the cleanup he has to do.
(b) Elated that the guests love the meal.
(c) Sad to be far away from his family.
(d) Angry that Mr. Salgado works him so hard.
13. Why does Miss Nili borrow Mr. Salgado's blue shirt?
(a) She wants to have it laundered because she accidentally spilled wine on it.
(b) To use as a sample so that another like it can be made for him.
(c) It goes well with her cream-colored skirt.
(d) Her little brother needs a blue shirt for his school play.
14. When does Miss Nili start visiting Mr. Salgado?
(a) December 1971.
(b) June 1965.
(c) April 1969.
(d) February 1967.
15. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
(a) She has a good effect on Mr. Salgado.
(b) She brings him news of his family.
(c) She always tips him after he serves dinner.
(d) He likes how she smells of jasmine blossoms.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
2. Why is Wijetunga dismayed when Triton tell hims that Miss Nili runs a hotel?
3. Why does Salgado say he's reluctant to work for the government?
4. With Mr. Salgado spending more time out of the house with his new job, Triton spends more time doing what?
5. What does Triton do after he finishes serving Christmas Eve dinner to Mr. Salgado and his guests?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)