|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Triton do after he finishes serving Christmas Eve dinner to Mr. Salgado and his guests?
(a) Moves to the doorway and watches the guests.
(b) Pulls a chair up and joins the party.
(c) Eats his meal out in the garden.
(d) Goes outside to gaze at the stars.
2. Why does Mr. Salgado start to ignore marine-related projects that used to captivate him?
(a) He's too preoccupied with Wijetunga's transformation.
(b) He turns his attention to musical pursuits.
(c) Spending time with Miss Nili, he becomes a socialite.
(d) The government interferes too much with his science projects.
3. For the dinner party on Christmas Eve, what does Triton cook for the first time ever?
(a) Pecan pie.
(b) Coconut cream pie.
4. How do the guests react to the meal Triton prepares for Christmas Eve?
(a) They are underwhelmed.
(b) They are impressed.
(c) They tell him it's too cold.
(d) They don't like it but they're polite about it.
5. Who is Wijetunga?
(a) Mr. Salgado's assistant at the observatory.
(b) Mr. Salgado's next-door neighbor.
(c) Triton's father.
(d) Triton's youngest brother.
6. With Mr. Salgado spending more time out of the house with his new job, Triton spends more time doing what?
7. For the holidays, what does Mr. Salgado bring home for the first time ever?
(a) Christmas tree.
(b) Pumpkin pie.
(c) Dark chocolate fudge.
(d) Nativity scene.
8. Triton recalls a time when he is making lasagna and Nili tells him that ___.
(a) He doesn't belong there.
(b) He reminds her of a childhood friend.
(c) He's preparing it all wrong.
(d) She thinks he's cute.
9. How does Nili feel about the food Triton prepares?
(a) She thinks he can do much better.
(b) She loves it.
(c) She'd rather he add more spices.
(d) She tolerates it.
10. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
(a) Takes a three-day trip.
(b) Quits her job.
(c) Moves in with Mr. Salgado.
(d) Bakes Triton a cake.
11. When does Miss Nili start visiting Mr. Salgado?
(a) April 1969.
(b) June 1965.
(c) December 1971.
(d) February 1967.
12. Which of the following is NOT included in the "Five Lessons" Wijetunga speaks of to Triton?
(a) Basic teachings of capitalism.
(b) Plans for revolution in Sri Lanka.
(c) Self-empowerment through wind farms.
(d) Social movements around the world.
13. How does Triton change after Nili joins the household?
(a) He decides to grow a flower garden for her.
(b) He cooks meals that impress her.
(c) He becomes quiet and moody.
(d) He spends more time with her than with Mr. Salgado.
14. What is the Mahaweli Scheme?
(a) An inland irrigation project.
(b) An extensive food cooperative.
(c) A reef protection initiative.
(d) A child protection plan.
15. As Triton watches Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili taking a stroll down the beach, he imagines ___.
(a) Dolphins speaking about the reefs.
(b) A sea monster rising up from the depths.
(c) The ocean snatching at their ankles.
(d) A pirate ship sailing in the distance.
Short Answer Questions
1. While working for Mr. Salgado, how does Triton educate himself?
2. When another guest arrives for the Christmas Eve dinner at Mr. Salgado's house, what does Triton do?
3. Who is Palitha Aluthgoda, a prominent figure who is assassinated?
4. What does Miss Nili drop during the Christmas Eve dinner?
5. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)