|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Miss Nili stops working at The Sea Hopper Hotel, what dream does she develop?
(a) To build her own hotel.
(b) To start a school for chefs.
(c) To become a tour guide in the island's pearl district.
(d) To get married and have five children.
2. Why does Nili become upset when she goes to see the fish catch?
(a) A reef shark is killed and a dolphin is about to be killed.
(b) She sees her old boyfriend there with his new wife.
(c) She thinks the fish market is stinky and dirty.
(d) One of the fishermen is rude to her.
3. At the Christmas Eve dinner, who watches Miss Nili intently as she speaks?
4. When Triton goes back to the kitchen as holiday dinner guests start to leave, how does he feel?
(a) Sad to be far away from his family.
(b) Elated that the guests love the meal.
(c) Overwhelmed by the cleanup he has to do.
(d) Angry that Mr. Salgado works him so hard.
5. What changes does Miss Nili's presence create in Mr. Salgado?
(a) He begins to act more arrogantly.
(b) He becomes more withdrawn than before.
(c) He comes to life, becoming more radiant and outgoing.
(d) He becomes distracted and forgetful.
6. When Mr. Salgado brings up the story of an ark, how do the other guests react?
(a) Join in and offer their own theories.
(b) Look at their watches and leave because it's late.
(c) Tell him he's being ridiculous.
(d) Sing a song they learn as children.
7. What does Miss Nili advise regarding the holiday decor?
(a) To add more Christmas tree decorations.
(b) To add shinier decor.
(c) To cover the house in twinkling lights.
(d) To take down most of it.
8. For the holidays, what does Mr. Salgado bring home for the first time ever?
(a) Pumpkin pie.
(b) Dark chocolate fudge.
(c) Nativity scene.
(d) Christmas tree.
9. Why does Wijetunga tell Triton that children need an education?
(a) To have the opportunity to leave Sri Lanka if they wish.
(b) So they can make something of themselves.
(c) To later earn a good living and support a large family.
(d) So they can question authority.
10. How does Nili feel about the food Triton prepares?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She thinks he can do much better.
(c) She'd rather he add more spices.
(d) She tolerates it.
11. When does Miss Nili start visiting Mr. Salgado?
(a) February 1967.
(b) April 1969.
(c) June 1965.
(d) December 1971.
12. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
(a) Quits her job.
(b) Takes a three-day trip.
(c) Bakes Triton a cake.
(d) Moves in with Mr. Salgado.
13. When the Christmas Eve dinner guests start to leave, what does Mr. Salgado tell Triton to do?
(a) Send each guest home with a bottle of wine.
(b) Have some turkey.
(c) Send each guest home with a plate of cookies.
(d) Have a cup of coffee.
14. As Triton closes up the main house following the Christmas Eve dinner, who does he find together on the sofa?
(a) Miss Nili and Robert.
(b) Robert and Miss Ellie.
(c) Miss Ellie and Joseph.
(d) Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili.
15. Why does Miss Nili borrow Mr. Salgado's blue shirt?
(a) To use as a sample so that another like it can be made for him.
(b) Her little brother needs a blue shirt for his school play.
(c) She wants to have it laundered because she accidentally spilled wine on it.
(d) It goes well with her cream-colored skirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
2. How does Triton change after Nili joins the household?
3. Mr. Salgado tells Triton that Dias is dead and explains that he ___.
4. What does Triton do after he finishes serving Christmas Eve dinner to Mr. Salgado and his guests?
5. As Triton unpacks Nili's suitcases, what fascinates him?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)