|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Nili right before lunch is served to the poker crowd?
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her former employer.
2. What does Miss Nili do when Mr. Salgado accuses her of sleeping with Robert?
(a) Says she loves Robert.
(b) Laughs loudly and slaps him.
(c) Cries, saying the accusation hurts.
(d) Insults him angrily and leaves.
3. Triton's wish to see more of the outside world comes true when Mr. Salgado takes him to ___.
(a) The observatory.
(b) The amusement park.
(c) The library.
(d) The coffee plantation.
4. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) She insists on new routines and schedules.
(b) She orders repairs and remodels.
(c) She hires additional household staff.
(d) She insists on doing most of the cooking herself.
5. What does Triton do while the men at the poker party chat over drinks?
(a) Makes himself a sandwich.
(b) Talks with Miss Nili.
(c) Walks in the garden.
(d) Cleans the kitchen.
6. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
(a) Bakes Triton a cake.
(b) Takes a three-day trip.
(c) Moves in with Mr. Salgado.
(d) Quits her job.
7. What do Robert and the journalist want to know when they stop by to visit Mr. Salgado?
(a) How the project to convert the ocean's energy into electricity is coming along.
(b) How much it costs to build a protective seawall.
(c) How the coastal village lifestyle is changing due to sea erosion.
(d) How quickly the reef is deteriorating.
8. When Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado are out one evening, Triton wonders what his life is like if he ___.
(a) Learns to sew or play the piano.
(b) Works in a restaurant or goex to hotel school.
(c) Stows away on a passing ship.
(d) Never leaves his childhood home.
9. When Robert brings by a journalist to see Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili greets them wearing what?
(a) A bathing suit.
(b) Curlers in her hair.
(c) Her kimono.
(d) Mr. Salgado's bathrobe.
10. Who is Wijetunga?
(a) Triton's father.
(b) Mr. Salgado's next-door neighbor.
(c) Triton's youngest brother.
(d) Mr. Salgado's assistant at the observatory.
11. How does Nili feel about the food Triton prepares?
(a) She'd rather he add more spices.
(b) She tolerates it.
(c) She loves it.
(d) She thinks he can do much better.
12. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
(a) Mr. Salgado doing drugs.
(b) Mr. Salgado with another woman.
(c) A nude Miss Nili.
(d) A note from Miss Nili to Mr. Salgado.
13. During a trip to the bungalow observatory, how does Triton help out?
(a) Sweeping the surrounding pathways.
(b) Taking dictation for Mr. Salgado.
(c) Cooking and doing housework.
(d) Rearranging science books on the shelves.
14. After their near accident on the drive to the observatory, Mr. Salgado, his friend, and Triton stop by a temple for what?
(a) To purchase water and a box lunch for each of them.
(b) To pray at the travelers' shrine.
(c) To put money in a roadside blessing box.
(d) To have a picnic lunch by the temple pond.
15. Why does Miss Nili borrow Mr. Salgado's blue shirt?
(a) To use as a sample so that another like it can be made for him.
(b) She wants to have it laundered because she accidentally spilled wine on it.
(c) Her little brother needs a blue shirt for his school play.
(d) It goes well with her cream-colored skirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Triton recalls a time when he is making lasagna and Nili tells him that ___.
2. What does Triton find inside the cookbook he receives?
3. Wijetunga's radical idea about improving his country is to ___.
4. At the Christmas Eve dinner, who watches Miss Nili intently as she speaks?
5. Why does Wijetunga tell Triton that children need an education?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)