Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Triton goes back to the kitchen as holiday dinner guests start to leave, how does he feel?
(a) Sad to be far away from his family.
(b) Overwhelmed by the cleanup he has to do.
(c) Elated that the guests love the meal.
(d) Angry that Mr. Salgado works him so hard.
2. Who calls Nili right before lunch is served to the poker crowd?
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her former employer.
3. Why does Salgado say he's reluctant to work for the government?
(a) There is little pay in working for the government.
(b) The government does not run the program correctly.
(c) He would rather conduct his research independently.
(d) He does not want to play the politicians' games.
4. While the group has dinner at the observatory, Mr. Salgado talks about an idea he has about creating an instrument to ___.
(a) Generate electricity from the sea.
(b) Measure sound waves.
(c) Detect large schools of fish along the coast.
(d) Remove pollutants from the bay.
5. What changes does Miss Nili's presence create in Mr. Salgado?
(a) He comes to life, becoming more radiant and outgoing.
(b) He becomes more withdrawn than before.
(c) He begins to act more arrogantly.
(d) He becomes distracted and forgetful.
6. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
(a) Bakes Triton a cake.
(b) Quits her job.
(c) Moves in with Mr. Salgado.
(d) Takes a three-day trip.
7. What do Robert and the journalist want to know when they stop by to visit Mr. Salgado?
(a) How the project to convert the ocean's energy into electricity is coming along.
(b) How quickly the reef is deteriorating.
(c) How much it costs to build a protective seawall.
(d) How the coastal village lifestyle is changing due to sea erosion.
8. During a trip to the bungalow observatory, how does Triton help out?
(a) Taking dictation for Mr. Salgado.
(b) Rearranging science books on the shelves.
(c) Sweeping the surrounding pathways.
(d) Cooking and doing housework.
9. When Robert brings by a journalist to see Mr. Salgado, Miss Nili greets them wearing what?
(a) Her kimono.
(b) A bathing suit.
(c) Mr. Salgado's bathrobe.
(d) Curlers in her hair.
10. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
(a) He completes his education and knows almost as much as Mr. Salgado does about reefs.
(b) He becomes a vegetarian and speaks of attaining enlightenment.
(c) He goes through a bitter divorce and child custody battle.
(d) He grows a beard, is kinder to Triton, and speaks of revolution.
11. Who is Wijetunga?
(a) Triton's father.
(b) Triton's youngest brother.
(c) Mr. Salgado's assistant at the observatory.
(d) Mr. Salgado's next-door neighbor.
12. With Mr. Salgado spending more time out of the house with his new job, Triton spends more time doing what?
13. When the men at the poker party call to Triton to bring more beer, what does he do?
(a) Goes fishing.
(b) Brings coffee instead.
(c) Ignores them.
(d) Brings wine instead.
14. Triton recalls a time when he is making lasagna and Nili tells him that ___.
(a) He's preparing it all wrong.
(b) She thinks he's cute.
(c) He doesn't belong there.
(d) He reminds her of a childhood friend.
15. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
(a) She has a good effect on Mr. Salgado.
(b) She always tips him after he serves dinner.
(c) He likes how she smells of jasmine blossoms.
(d) She brings him news of his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Christmas Eve dinner, who watches Miss Nili intently as she speaks?
2. When does Miss Nili start visiting Mr. Salgado?
3. For the holidays, what does Mr. Salgado bring home for the first time ever?
4. Mr. Salgado announces to Triton that they are going to England so he can do what?
5. While Triton is in the kitchen after the Christmas Eve dinner, who visits him, and why?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)