|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When another guest arrives for the Christmas Eve dinner at Mr. Salgado's house, what does Triton do?
(a) Gives up his portion of the food so that the unexpected guest may eat.
(b) Quickly arranges another setting at the table to avoid an awkward moment.
(c) Storms off in anger because nobody tells him about the guest in advance.
(d) Complains to Mr. Salgado that there is not enough food to go around.
2. As Mr. Salgado drives the Land-Rover to the observatory, what does he almost hit?
3. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
(a) Mr. Salgado doing drugs.
(b) Mr. Salgado with another woman.
(c) A nude Miss Nili.
(d) A note from Miss Nili to Mr. Salgado.
4. What does Triton find inside the cookbook he receives?
(a) A map of Sri Lanka.
(b) A letter meant for someone else.
(c) A thank you letter.
(d) A one hundred rupee note.
5. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
(a) She always tips him after he serves dinner.
(b) She brings him news of his family.
(c) She has a good effect on Mr. Salgado.
(d) He likes how she smells of jasmine blossoms.
6. As Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado get ready to attend the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party, Triton gets the sense that things are ___.
(a) Slipping away.
(c) Not what they seem.
(d) Going great.
7. At the Christmas Eve dinner, who watches Miss Nili intently as she speaks?
8. Why does Nili become upset when she goes to see the fish catch?
(a) She thinks the fish market is stinky and dirty.
(b) A reef shark is killed and a dolphin is about to be killed.
(c) She sees her old boyfriend there with his new wife.
(d) One of the fishermen is rude to her.
9. While working for Mr. Salgado, how does Triton educate himself?
(a) Watching educational television shows.
(b) Reading his neighbor's schoolbooks.
(c) His employer hires a tutor for him.
(d) Sneaking into the neighborhood school while his employer naps.
10. What does Miss Nili do after she and Mr. Salgado return from the inauguration party?
(a) Prepares coffee for everyone.
(b) Sits on the sofa and cries.
(c) Plays sultry music.
(d) Takes a walk along the beach.
11. While the group has dinner at the observatory, Mr. Salgado talks about an idea he has about creating an instrument to ___.
(a) Generate electricity from the sea.
(b) Remove pollutants from the bay.
(c) Measure sound waves.
(d) Detect large schools of fish along the coast.
12. How does Triton change after Nili joins the household?
(a) He decides to grow a flower garden for her.
(b) He spends more time with her than with Mr. Salgado.
(c) He cooks meals that impress her.
(d) He becomes quiet and moody.
13. During a trip to the bungalow observatory, how does Triton help out?
(a) Sweeping the surrounding pathways.
(b) Taking dictation for Mr. Salgado.
(c) Rearranging science books on the shelves.
(d) Cooking and doing housework.
14. On the morning of the poker party, Nili is in a bad mood and won't ___.
(c) Leave her room.
(d) Get out of bed.
15. How does young Triton feel about the sea?
(a) He's bored by it and wants to go home.
(b) He's both mesmerized and frightened by it.
(c) He longs to travel across the sea on a large ship.
(d) He wants to go deep sea fishing.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Mr. Salgado brings up the story of an ark, how do the other guests react?
2. What does Miss Nili do when Mr. Salgado accuses her of sleeping with Robert?
3. When the Christmas Eve dinner guests start to leave, what does Mr. Salgado tell Triton to do?
4. As Triton closes up the main house following the Christmas Eve dinner, who does he find together on the sofa?
5. At the poker party, Mr. Salgado can't eat and drinks too much beer because he's worried about what?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)