|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changes does Miss Nili's presence create in Mr. Salgado?
(a) He becomes more withdrawn than before.
(b) He comes to life, becoming more radiant and outgoing.
(c) He becomes distracted and forgetful.
(d) He begins to act more arrogantly.
2. Who carves the turkey during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(c) Miss Nili.
(d) Mr. Salgado.
3. When does Miss Nili start visiting Mr. Salgado?
(a) February 1967.
(b) December 1971.
(c) April 1969.
(d) June 1965.
4. One evening, Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado argue about what to do because Nili wants to go out but Salgado wants to ___.
(a) Visit his brother.
(b) Have a poker party.
(c) Eat leftovers.
(d) Work on his project.
5. Mr. Salgado tells Triton that Dias is dead and explains that he ___.
(a) Is assassinated.
(b) Drowns at sea.
(c) Dies of a heart attack.
(d) Crashes the jeep against a tree.
6. How does Mr. Salgado feel whenever Miss Nili is not around?
(a) Back to normal.
(c) Horrendously depressed.
(d) Preoccupied with her.
7. After Miss Nili stops working at The Sea Hopper Hotel, what dream does she develop?
(a) To become a tour guide in the island's pearl district.
(b) To build her own hotel.
(c) To start a school for chefs.
(d) To get married and have five children.
8. Why does Mr. Salgado start to ignore marine-related projects that used to captivate him?
(a) He turns his attention to musical pursuits.
(b) He's too preoccupied with Wijetunga's transformation.
(c) Spending time with Miss Nili, he becomes a socialite.
(d) The government interferes too much with his science projects.
9. While Triton is in the kitchen after the Christmas Eve dinner, who visits him, and why?
(a) Miss Nili to give him a present.
(b) One of the foreign guests to thank him.
(c) Mr. Salgado to give him further instructions.
(d) Joseph to apologize for his past behavior.
10. When the men at the poker party call to Triton to bring more beer, what does he do?
(a) Brings coffee instead.
(b) Goes fishing.
(c) Brings wine instead.
(d) Ignores them.
11. When the Christmas Eve dinner guests start to leave, what does Mr. Salgado tell Triton to do?
(a) Send each guest home with a bottle of wine.
(b) Have some turkey.
(c) Send each guest home with a plate of cookies.
(d) Have a cup of coffee.
12. After their near accident on the drive to the observatory, Mr. Salgado, his friend, and Triton stop by a temple for what?
(a) To purchase water and a box lunch for each of them.
(b) To put money in a roadside blessing box.
(c) To pray at the travelers' shrine.
(d) To have a picnic lunch by the temple pond.
13. With Mr. Salgado spending more time out of the house with his new job, Triton spends more time doing what?
14. What kind of fish does Triton purchase from a group of fishermen?
(a) Flower horn fish.
(b) Butterfly peacock fish.
(c) Black ghost knifefish.
(d) Blue-striped parrot fish.
15. Which of the following is NOT included in the "Five Lessons" Wijetunga speaks of to Triton?
(a) Basic teachings of capitalism.
(b) Self-empowerment through wind farms.
(c) Social movements around the world.
(d) Plans for revolution in Sri Lanka.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nili worry that she's really not invited to the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party?
2. What does Mr. Salgado talk about during the Christmas Eve dinner?
3. What does Triton do while the men at the poker party chat over drinks?
4. Triton's wish to see more of the outside world comes true when Mr. Salgado takes him to ___.
5. Mr. Dias Liyanage wants Mr. Salgado to take a job with a foundation interested in what?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)