|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Christmas Eve dinner guests start to leave, what does Mr. Salgado tell Triton to do?
(a) Send each guest home with a plate of cookies.
(b) Send each guest home with a bottle of wine.
(c) Have a cup of coffee.
(d) Have some turkey.
2. Why does Mr. Salgado start to ignore marine-related projects that used to captivate him?
(a) Spending time with Miss Nili, he becomes a socialite.
(b) The government interferes too much with his science projects.
(c) He's too preoccupied with Wijetunga's transformation.
(d) He turns his attention to musical pursuits.
3. One evening, Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado argue about what to do because Nili wants to go out but Salgado wants to ___.
(a) Visit his brother.
(b) Work on his project.
(c) Have a poker party.
(d) Eat leftovers.
4. What is the Mahaweli Scheme?
(a) A reef protection initiative.
(b) An extensive food cooperative.
(c) A child protection plan.
(d) An inland irrigation project.
5. While working for Mr. Salgado, how does Triton educate himself?
(a) Sneaking into the neighborhood school while his employer naps.
(b) His employer hires a tutor for him.
(c) Watching educational television shows.
(d) Reading his neighbor's schoolbooks.
6. How does Mr. Salgado feel when Miss Nili is around?
7. Why is Mr. Salgado distracted on the drive to the observatory?
(a) He's too busy reciting poetry.
(b) He's too hungry to focus on driving.
(c) He has a lot on his mind.
(d) Mr. Dias Liyanage is talking too much.
8. When Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado are out one evening, Triton wonders what his life is like if he ___.
(a) Stows away on a passing ship.
(b) Works in a restaurant or goex to hotel school.
(c) Learns to sew or play the piano.
(d) Never leaves his childhood home.
9. What does Triton find inside the cookbook he receives?
(a) A thank you letter.
(b) A letter meant for someone else.
(c) A map of Sri Lanka.
(d) A one hundred rupee note.
10. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
(a) He completes his education and knows almost as much as Mr. Salgado does about reefs.
(b) He grows a beard, is kinder to Triton, and speaks of revolution.
(c) He goes through a bitter divorce and child custody battle.
(d) He becomes a vegetarian and speaks of attaining enlightenment.
11. Mr. Salgado announces to Triton that they are going to England so he can do what?
(a) Pursue his passion for music.
(b) Forget about Nili and find a new love.
(c) Work at an institute.
(d) Open a restaurant.
12. When Triton goes back to the kitchen as holiday dinner guests start to leave, how does he feel?
(a) Elated that the guests love the meal.
(b) Angry that Mr. Salgado works him so hard.
(c) Overwhelmed by the cleanup he has to do.
(d) Sad to be far away from his family.
13. As Triton closes up the main house following the Christmas Eve dinner, who does he find together on the sofa?
(a) Miss Ellie and Joseph.
(b) Robert and Miss Ellie.
(c) Miss Nili and Robert.
(d) Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili.
14. Triton recalls a time when he is making lasagna and Nili tells him that ___.
(a) He's preparing it all wrong.
(b) He doesn't belong there.
(c) She thinks he's cute.
(d) He reminds her of a childhood friend.
15. How does Nili feel about the food Triton prepares?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She thinks he can do much better.
(c) She'd rather he add more spices.
(d) She tolerates it.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Mr. Salgado drives the Land-Rover to the observatory, what does he almost hit?
2. Mr. Dias Liyanage wants Mr. Salgado to take a job with a foundation interested in what?
3. As Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado get ready to attend the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party, Triton gets the sense that things are ___.
4. Who calls Nili right before lunch is served to the poker crowd?
5. Which of the following is NOT included in the "Five Lessons" Wijetunga speaks of to Triton?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)