|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Robert and the journalist want to know when they stop by to visit Mr. Salgado?
(a) How the project to convert the ocean's energy into electricity is coming along.
(b) How the coastal village lifestyle is changing due to sea erosion.
(c) How much it costs to build a protective seawall.
(d) How quickly the reef is deteriorating.
2. Triton's wish to see more of the outside world comes true when Mr. Salgado takes him to ___.
(a) The coffee plantation.
(b) The library.
(c) The observatory.
(d) The amusement park.
3. Who is Palitha Aluthgoda, a prominent figure who is assassinated?
(a) Mr. Salgado's former professor.
(b) A popular, wealthy businessman.
(c) Triton's uncle.
(d) An arrogant television star.
4. As Triton watches Mr. Salgado and Miss Nili taking a stroll down the beach, he imagines ___.
(a) A sea monster rising up from the depths.
(b) The ocean snatching at their ankles.
(c) Dolphins speaking about the reefs.
(d) A pirate ship sailing in the distance.
5. What does Triton find inside the cookbook he receives?
(a) A letter meant for someone else.
(b) A one hundred rupee note.
(c) A map of Sri Lanka.
(d) A thank you letter.
6. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
(a) Quits her job.
(b) Moves in with Mr. Salgado.
(c) Bakes Triton a cake.
(d) Takes a three-day trip.
7. When Mr. Salgado brings up the story of an ark, how do the other guests react?
(a) Look at their watches and leave because it's late.
(b) Join in and offer their own theories.
(c) Sing a song they learn as children.
(d) Tell him he's being ridiculous.
8. How does Mr. Salgado treat Robert and the journalist?
(a) With suspicion.
(b) With respect.
(c) With tolerance.
(d) With impatience.
9. Where do the Christmas Eve dinner guests retire to while Triton clears the table?
(a) Lounge to watch television.
(b) Garden to enjoy some fresh air.
(c) Game room to play a board game.
(d) Sitting room for coffee.
10. Which of the following is NOT included in the "Five Lessons" Wijetunga speaks of to Triton?
(a) Plans for revolution in Sri Lanka.
(b) Basic teachings of capitalism.
(c) Social movements around the world.
(d) Self-empowerment through wind farms.
11. Why does Triton wish Miss Nili would come by the house more often?
(a) He likes how she smells of jasmine blossoms.
(b) She brings him news of his family.
(c) She always tips him after he serves dinner.
(d) She has a good effect on Mr. Salgado.
12. How does Nili feel about the food Triton prepares?
(a) She tolerates it.
(b) She'd rather he add more spices.
(c) She thinks he can do much better.
(d) She loves it.
13. When Miss Nili and Mr. Salgado are out one evening, Triton wonders what his life is like if he ___.
(a) Learns to sew or play the piano.
(b) Stows away on a passing ship.
(c) Works in a restaurant or goex to hotel school.
(d) Never leaves his childhood home.
14. What does Miss Nili do when Mr. Salgado accuses her of sleeping with Robert?
(a) Says she loves Robert.
(b) Cries, saying the accusation hurts.
(c) Laughs loudly and slaps him.
(d) Insults him angrily and leaves.
15. For the holidays, what does Mr. Salgado bring home for the first time ever?
(a) Dark chocolate fudge.
(b) Nativity scene.
(c) Christmas tree.
(d) Pumpkin pie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Nili drop during the Christmas Eve dinner?
2. What changes does Miss Nili bring about in Mr. Salgado's house?
3. What does Triton do after he finishes serving Christmas Eve dinner to Mr. Salgado and his guests?
4. Who carves the turkey during the Christmas Eve dinner?
5. Why does Wijetunga tell Triton that children need an education?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)