|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Mahaweli Scheme?
(a) An inland irrigation project.
(b) A reef protection initiative.
(c) A child protection plan.
(d) An extensive food cooperative.
2. When the men at the poker party call to Triton to bring more beer, what does he do?
(a) Goes fishing.
(b) Ignores them.
(c) Brings wine instead.
(d) Brings coffee instead.
3. What does Triton do while the men at the poker party chat over drinks?
(a) Makes himself a sandwich.
(b) Talks with Miss Nili.
(c) Walks in the garden.
(d) Cleans the kitchen.
4. Mr. Salgado tells Triton that Dias is dead and explains that he ___.
(a) Is assassinated.
(b) Dies of a heart attack.
(c) Drowns at sea.
(d) Crashes the jeep against a tree.
5. Why does Salgado say he's reluctant to work for the government?
(a) The government does not run the program correctly.
(b) He would rather conduct his research independently.
(c) There is little pay in working for the government.
(d) He does not want to play the politicians' games.
6. Why is Mr. Salgado distracted on the drive to the observatory?
(a) Mr. Dias Liyanage is talking too much.
(b) He's too hungry to focus on driving.
(c) He's too busy reciting poetry.
(d) He has a lot on his mind.
7. How does Nili feel about the food Triton prepares?
(a) She loves it.
(b) She thinks he can do much better.
(c) She'd rather he add more spices.
(d) She tolerates it.
8. What does Miss Nili advise regarding the holiday decor?
(a) To cover the house in twinkling lights.
(b) To add more Christmas tree decorations.
(c) To take down most of it.
(d) To add shinier decor.
9. What changes does Miss Nili's presence create in Mr. Salgado?
(a) He becomes distracted and forgetful.
(b) He becomes more withdrawn than before.
(c) He begins to act more arrogantly.
(d) He comes to life, becoming more radiant and outgoing.
10. After their near accident on the drive to the observatory, Mr. Salgado, his friend, and Triton stop by a temple for what?
(a) To pray at the travelers' shrine.
(b) To put money in a roadside blessing box.
(c) To have a picnic lunch by the temple pond.
(d) To purchase water and a box lunch for each of them.
11. How does young Triton feel about the sea?
(a) He's bored by it and wants to go home.
(b) He's both mesmerized and frightened by it.
(c) He longs to travel across the sea on a large ship.
(d) He wants to go deep sea fishing.
12. How does Mr. Salgado feel whenever Miss Nili is not around?
(a) Horrendously depressed.
(b) Back to normal.
(d) Preoccupied with her.
13. How does Triton change after Nili joins the household?
(a) He cooks meals that impress her.
(b) He decides to grow a flower garden for her.
(c) He spends more time with her than with Mr. Salgado.
(d) He becomes quiet and moody.
14. While working for Mr. Salgado, how does Triton educate himself?
(a) Sneaking into the neighborhood school while his employer naps.
(b) Reading his neighbor's schoolbooks.
(c) His employer hires a tutor for him.
(d) Watching educational television shows.
15. Wijetunga's radical idea about improving his country is to ___.
(a) First destroy in order to create something better.
(b) Use every available space for growing fruits and vegetables.
(c) Make alliances with their enemies.
(d) Legalize gambling.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Salgado feel when Miss Nili is around?
2. Why does Nili become upset when she goes to see the fish catch?
3. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
4. When Triton takes towels to Miss Nili's and Mr. Salgado's room, what does he accidentally see?
5. Where do the Christmas Eve dinner guests retire to while Triton clears the table?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)