|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Nili do a few days after the Christmas Eve party?
(a) Bakes Triton a cake.
(b) Quits her job.
(c) Takes a three-day trip.
(d) Moves in with Mr. Salgado.
2. Who is Wijetunga?
(a) Mr. Salgado's assistant at the observatory.
(b) Triton's youngest brother.
(c) Triton's father.
(d) Mr. Salgado's next-door neighbor.
3. After Miss Nili stops working at The Sea Hopper Hotel, what dream does she develop?
(a) To get married and have five children.
(b) To start a school for chefs.
(c) To become a tour guide in the island's pearl district.
(d) To build her own hotel.
4. Why does Mr. Salgado start to ignore marine-related projects that used to captivate him?
(a) He turns his attention to musical pursuits.
(b) He's too preoccupied with Wijetunga's transformation.
(c) The government interferes too much with his science projects.
(d) Spending time with Miss Nili, he becomes a socialite.
5. Why does Nili worry that she's really not invited to the Mahaweli Scheme inauguration party?
(a) She's not a wife.
(b) Her name does not appear on the invitation.
(c) One of the party organizers dislikes her.
(d) Mr. Salgado often gets the details wrong.
6. While Triton is in the kitchen after the Christmas Eve dinner, who visits him, and why?
(a) One of the foreign guests to thank him.
(b) Joseph to apologize for his past behavior.
(c) Mr. Salgado to give him further instructions.
(d) Miss Nili to give him a present.
7. What does Miss Nili drop during the Christmas Eve dinner?
(a) Glass of wine.
(b) Piece of turkey.
(c) Piece of pie.
(d) Cup of coffee.
8. When Mr. Salgado brings up the story of an ark, how do the other guests react?
(a) Tell him he's being ridiculous.
(b) Join in and offer their own theories.
(c) Look at their watches and leave because it's late.
(d) Sing a song they learn as children.
9. What does Miss Nili do when Mr. Salgado accuses her of sleeping with Robert?
(a) Says she loves Robert.
(b) Insults him angrily and leaves.
(c) Laughs loudly and slaps him.
(d) Cries, saying the accusation hurts.
10. Why does Miss Nili borrow Mr. Salgado's blue shirt?
(a) She wants to have it laundered because she accidentally spilled wine on it.
(b) It goes well with her cream-colored skirt.
(c) To use as a sample so that another like it can be made for him.
(d) Her little brother needs a blue shirt for his school play.
11. Mr. Salgado announces to Triton that they are going to England so he can do what?
(a) Forget about Nili and find a new love.
(b) Open a restaurant.
(c) Work at an institute.
(d) Pursue his passion for music.
12. Where do the Christmas Eve dinner guests retire to while Triton clears the table?
(a) Garden to enjoy some fresh air.
(b) Lounge to watch television.
(c) Sitting room for coffee.
(d) Game room to play a board game.
13. Who calls Nili right before lunch is served to the poker crowd?
(b) Her sister.
(d) Her former employer.
14. How does Mr. Salgado treat Robert and the journalist?
(a) With tolerance.
(b) With respect.
(c) With suspicion.
(d) With impatience.
15. Mr. Dias Liyanage wants Mr. Salgado to take a job with a foundation interested in what?
(a) Fishing industry.
(b) Coral business.
(c) Soil conservation.
(d) Cultural preservation.
Short Answer Questions
1. While working for Mr. Salgado, how does Triton educate himself?
2. For the dinner party on Christmas Eve, what does Triton cook for the first time ever?
3. What does Mr. Salgado talk about during the Christmas Eve dinner?
4. How does Wijetunga, Mr. Salgados' assistant, change in Part III of the book?
5. Why does Salgado say he's reluctant to work for the government?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)