|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
(a) Digging an irrigation ditch.
(b) Taking inventories.
(c) Baking cookies.
(d) Raking leaves.
2. When Joseph is in Mr. Salgado's room, what does he do when Triton finds him there?
(a) Pushes the boy onto the bed.
(b) Threatens the boy with a knife.
(c) Runs out the door.
(d) Lets out a loud scream.
3. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
(a) He has some schooling but he does not like the teachers.
(b) He's been to school at the temple and is familiar with religious teachings.
(c) He has no time for school because he's had to help raise his siblings.
(d) He's been to school, knows how to read and write, and speaks some English.
4. Who is Lucy-amma?
(a) The old cook-woman.
(b) The local school teacher.
(c) The young girl next door.
(d) The neighborhood matchmaker.
5. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) Stray cat.
(b) Mr. Salgado returning.
(c) A robber.
(d) Wind knocking a window open.
6. In what language does the narrator try to speak to the cashier?
7. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
(a) Plays his guitar.
(b) Sits on the floor.
(c) Paces in the courtyard.
(d) Chats with a friend.
8. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
(a) He largely ignores him.
(b) He takes him under his wing.
(c) He resents him.
(d) He treats him kindly.
9. Although Mr. Salgado goes to the best schools in Colombo, he considers himself what?
(b) A philosopher, not a scientist.
(c) Not smart enough.
(d) Far more intelligent than his colleagues.
10. What does the individual who approaches the cashier and narrator begin to do?
(a) Laughs out loud.
(b) Cries loudly.
(c) Calls their names.
(d) Hammers at the window.
11. How old is Lucy-amma?
(a) At least a hundred years old.
(b) More than seventy years old.
(c) Twenty-eight years old.
(d) Twelve years old.
12. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
(a) Stealing money.
(b) Trying out Mr. Salgado's clothes.
(c) Rubbing cologne on his chest.
(d) Reading Mr. Salgado's diary.
13. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
(a) He is from Sri Lanka.
(b) His cousin teaches him a few words spoken in Sri Lanka.
(c) There is a good Sri Lankan restaurant thirty miles away.
(d) There is a huge community of Sri Lankans in London.
14. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
(a) So he can take a ten-minute smoking break.
(b) So the monthly electric bill won't be as high.
(c) To keep customers away while the problem is being resolved.
(d) To close early and go home to his family.
15. When Mr. Salgado takes a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, who is left in charge of the household?
(a) A neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
2. How long has the narrator been out of Sri Lanka?
3. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
4. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
5. Who stumbles towards the narrator and the cashier as the two are engrossed in conversation?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)