|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has the narrator been out of Sri Lanka?
(a) Twelve years.
(b) More than twenty years.
(c) Three years.
(d) Less than a month.
2. After taking care of his car, what does the narrator do at the start of the story?
(a) Records data in a logbook.
(b) Drops his wallet.
(c) Buys an ice cream cone.
(d) Assists another driver.
3. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
(a) Terrible howl.
(b) Loud music.
(c) Piercing screams.
(d) Beautiful singing.
4. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
(a) The garage.
(b) The office.
(c) The coffee shop.
(d) The deli.
5. Why are Triton and Joseph left alone at Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) Mr. Salgado is on a business trip and Lucy-amma is taking care of a dying relative.
(b) Mr. Salgado is on vacation and Lucy-amma is in the hospital.
(c) Mr. Salgado takes Lucy-amma out for her birthday.
(d) Mr. Salgado and Lucy-amma take separate trips at the same time.
6. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
(a) He hides a big stick under his bed.
(b) He rubs a raw onion all over his hands.
(c) He carries a small pocketknife everywhere he goes.
(d) He wears a necklace made of chili peppers.
7. Why is the cashier impressed with the narrator?
(a) He is a vegetarian.
(b) He attends Oxford.
(c) He used to be a marine biologist.
(d) He owns a restaurant.
8. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
(a) To keep customers away while the problem is being resolved.
(b) So the monthly electric bill won't be as high.
(c) To close early and go home to his family.
(d) So he can take a ten-minute smoking break.
9. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
(a) Revenge against Mr. Salgado.
(b) Going to the beach with the neighbor girl.
(c) Going back to his family.
(d) Revenge against Joseph.
10. After recording information about his car, what does the narrator do?
(a) Waxes his car.
(b) Closes his cans of paint.
(c) Takes his old battery in for recycling.
(d) Goes to pay for the gasoline.
11. What does the word "kolla" mean in Sinhala?
12. How old is Lucy-amma?
(a) Twenty-eight years old.
(b) Twelve years old.
(c) More than seventy years old.
(d) At least a hundred years old.
13. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
(a) There is a huge community of Sri Lankans in London.
(b) His cousin teaches him a few words spoken in Sri Lanka.
(c) He is from Sri Lanka.
(d) There is a good Sri Lankan restaurant thirty miles away.
14. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
15. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) A robber.
(b) Wind knocking a window open.
(c) Mr. Salgado returning.
(d) Stray cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is the gas station cashier on the job?
2. In what language does the narrator try to speak to the cashier?
3. At the start of the story, what does the narrator notice about the cashier?
4. As a young servant for Mr. Salgado, Triton's regular duties include what?
5. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)