|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
(a) That Joseph's brothers beats him up.
(b) That Joseph starves him.
(c) That Joseph forces him to sleep outside, under the bridge.
(d) That Joseph throws him into the bay.
2. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
(a) Jasmine flowers.
(c) Gold coins.
3. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
(a) The deli.
(b) The garage.
(c) The office.
(d) The coffee shop.
4. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
(a) He receives severance pay and is warned to never come back.
(b) He is given a cake and is told to leave Lucy-amma alone.
(c) He is given a farewell party and told never to go near Triton again.
(d) He receives a shirt and is warned to stay sober from now on.
5. Who is Lucy-amma?
(a) The local school teacher.
(b) The neighborhood matchmaker.
(c) The young girl next door.
(d) The old cook-woman.
6. What does the word "kolla" mean in Sinhala?
7. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
(a) He treats him kindly.
(b) He largely ignores him.
(c) He resents him.
(d) He takes him under his wing.
8. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
(a) The wife steps on a cluster of poisonous scorpions.
(b) The husband is drunk and cranks up the volume of the radio and television.
(c) The wife rubs hot chillies all over her husband as punishment for his indiscretions.
(d) A visiting classical singer is trying to stay there without being noticed by the neighbors.
9. What is the cashier's immigration status?
(a) Naturalized citizen.
(c) Dual citizen.
(d) Illegal immigrant.
10. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
(c) College education.
11. When Joseph leaves and Triton is left alone in the house, how does the boy feel?
(a) Terribly frightened.
(c) At peace.
12. As a young servant for Mr. Salgado, Triton's regular duties include what?
(a) Milking cows and gathering eggs.
(b) Watering plants and taking food to the poor.
(c) Serving tea and sweeping floors.
(d) Organizing books and catching fish.
13. The region of Sri Lanka that the cashier comes from is once what?
(a) A sanctuary for plant scientists.
(b) A diver's paradise.
(c) A seafood cornucopia.
(d) A coffee-producing economic center.
14. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
(a) If there are many Sri Lankans living in London.
(b) If there's a good Sri Lankan restaurant nearby.
(c) If the cashier knows what language is spoken in Sri Lanka.
(d) If the cashier is from Sri Lanka.
15. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
(a) Paces in the courtyard.
(b) Chats with a friend.
(c) Plays his guitar.
(d) Sits on the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Triton worried about, regarding being under Joseph's rule?
2. How long has the narrator been out of Sri Lanka?
3. Why are Triton and Joseph left alone at Mr. Salgado's house?
4. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
5. The cashier says his Sri Lankan home is near what city?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)