|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
(a) Washing his car.
(b) Replacing the battery of his car.
(c) Filling the tank of his car.
(d) Painting his car.
2. The cashier says his Sri Lankan home is near what city?
3. In the story, who is Joseph?
4. Who used to own the car that belongs to the narrator at the start of the story?
(b) Mr. Salgado.
(d) Miss Nili.
5. Why is the cashier impressed with the narrator?
(a) He owns a restaurant.
(b) He used to be a marine biologist.
(c) He is a vegetarian.
(d) He attends Oxford.
6. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
(a) Six thousand miles.
(b) Two thousand eight hundred miles.
(c) Four hundred miles.
(d) A thousand miles.
7. Although Mr. Salgado goes to the best schools in Colombo, he considers himself what?
(a) Far more intelligent than his colleagues.
(b) A philosopher, not a scientist.
(c) Not smart enough.
8. What languages does the cashier say he speaks?
(a) Hindi and a little English.
(b) Tamil and a little English.
(c) Turkish and French.
(d) Hebrew and French.
9. What is the cashier's immigration status?
(a) Dual citizen.
(b) Illegal immigrant.
(c) Naturalized citizen.
10. Why does Triton seek refuge in the kitchen?
(a) It reminds him of the times he helps his mother in the kitchen.
(b) Joseph does not go in there when onions are being prepared.
(c) He has a secret hiding place behind the kitchen pantry.
(d) It's the only room in the house with a door that locks.
11. What vehicle does the narrator own when the story opens?
12. The haberdasher who stops by Mr. Salgado's house on Thursdays is one of the what who stops by regularly?
13. What is Triton worried about, regarding being under Joseph's rule?
(a) That he attacks the man to protect himself.
(b) That Joseph slits his throat.
(c) That Joseph sells him to a passing tourist.
(d) That he, too, becomes mean and corrupt.
14. What does the individual who approaches the cashier and narrator begin to do?
(a) Cries loudly.
(b) Laughs out loud.
(c) Hammers at the window.
(d) Calls their names.
15. How is Mr. Salgado associated with the narrator?
(a) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's uncle.
(b) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's priest.
(c) The narrator has Mr. Salgado arrested.
(d) The narrator used to work for Mr. Salgado.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has the narrator been out of Sri Lanka?
2. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
3. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
4. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
5. When it starts to rain, Triton hopes that Joseph ____.
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)