|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
(a) He receives severance pay and is warned to never come back.
(b) He receives a shirt and is warned to stay sober from now on.
(c) He is given a farewell party and told never to go near Triton again.
(d) He is given a cake and is told to leave Lucy-amma alone.
2. What does Mr. Salgado's house represent to Triton when he is a boy?
(a) A beautiful prison.
(b) Home away from home.
(c) Center of the universe.
(d) A magical place to explore and enjoy.
3. What languages does the cashier say he speaks?
(a) Tamil and a little English.
(b) Turkish and French.
(c) Hindi and a little English.
(d) Hebrew and French.
4. Who is Lucy-amma?
(a) The neighborhood matchmaker.
(b) The local school teacher.
(c) The young girl next door.
(d) The old cook-woman.
5. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
6. In what language does the narrator try to speak to the cashier?
7. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
(a) The coffee shop.
(b) The garage.
(c) The office.
(d) The deli.
8. The cashier experiences technical difficulties with what?
(a) Paint drying unit.
(b) Pressurized hose.
(c) Jumper cables.
(d) Electronic till.
9. When the cashier experiences technical difficulties, what does he consider doing?
(a) Rummaging through the shed.
(b) Quitting his job.
(c) Throwing the unit away.
(d) Calling for help.
10. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) Mr. Salgado returning.
(b) Stray cat.
(c) Wind knocking a window open.
(d) A robber.
11. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
(a) A visiting classical singer is trying to stay there without being noticed by the neighbors.
(b) The wife steps on a cluster of poisonous scorpions.
(c) The wife rubs hot chillies all over her husband as punishment for his indiscretions.
(d) The husband is drunk and cranks up the volume of the radio and television.
12. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
(a) He hides a big stick under his bed.
(b) He carries a small pocketknife everywhere he goes.
(c) He rubs a raw onion all over his hands.
(d) He wears a necklace made of chili peppers.
13. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
(a) Piercing screams.
(b) Loud music.
(c) Terrible howl.
(d) Beautiful singing.
14. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
(a) A thousand miles.
(b) Six thousand miles.
(c) Four hundred miles.
(d) Two thousand eight hundred miles.
15. Who used to own the car that belongs to the narrator at the start of the story?
(a) Mr. Salgado.
(c) Miss Nili.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the start of the story, what does the narrator notice about the cashier?
2. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
3. When Mr. Salgado takes a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, who is left in charge of the household?
4. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
5. In the story, who is Joseph?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)