|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
(a) Six thousand miles.
(b) Two thousand eight hundred miles.
(c) A thousand miles.
(d) Four hundred miles.
2. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
(b) Gold coins.
(d) Jasmine flowers.
3. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
(a) Terrible howl.
(b) Beautiful singing.
(c) Loud music.
(d) Piercing screams.
4. What does the word "kolla" mean in Sinhala?
5. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
(a) Revenge against Mr. Salgado.
(b) Going back to his family.
(c) Revenge against Joseph.
(d) Going to the beach with the neighbor girl.
6. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
(a) Stealing money.
(b) Reading Mr. Salgado's diary.
(c) Rubbing cologne on his chest.
(d) Trying out Mr. Salgado's clothes.
7. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) Wind knocking a window open.
(b) A robber.
(c) Mr. Salgado returning.
(d) Stray cat.
8. As a young servant for Mr. Salgado, Triton's regular duties include what?
(a) Serving tea and sweeping floors.
(b) Organizing books and catching fish.
(c) Milking cows and gathering eggs.
(d) Watering plants and taking food to the poor.
9. The region of Sri Lanka that the cashier comes from is once what?
(a) A coffee-producing economic center.
(b) A sanctuary for plant scientists.
(c) A diver's paradise.
(d) A seafood cornucopia.
10. What does the individual who approaches the cashier and narrator begin to do?
(a) Laughs out loud.
(b) Cries loudly.
(c) Hammers at the window.
(d) Calls their names.
11. With Joseph gone, Triton goes from being houseboy to being ___.
(d) Errand boy.
12. When the cashier experiences technical difficulties, what does he consider doing?
(a) Quitting his job.
(b) Rummaging through the shed.
(c) Throwing the unit away.
(d) Calling for help.
13. Why does Triton run away from home?
(a) He is tired of the daily beatings he receives from his uncle.
(b) He is the oldest of twelve kids and he wants to get away from the daily chaos.
(c) His mother wants him to become a temple priest, but he refuses.
(d) He burns a roof at his school and fears his father's wrath.
14. Once inside the office, what does the narrator ask the cashier?
(a) Why he leaves his wife behind.
(b) How long he's been in England.
(c) Who helps him escape from Sri Lanka.
(d) Where he lives.
15. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
(b) College education.
Short Answer Questions
1. After recording information about his car, what does the narrator do?
2. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
3. In what language does the narrator try to speak to the cashier?
4. Why does Triton seek refuge in the kitchen?
5. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)