|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what language does the narrator try to speak to the cashier?
2. When Joseph leaves and Triton is left alone in the house, how does the boy feel?
(a) At peace.
(c) Terribly frightened.
3. Who stumbles towards the narrator and the cashier as the two are engrossed in conversation?
(a) Distraught child.
(b) Mutual friend.
(c) Drunk man.
(d) Police officer.
4. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
(a) In the library.
(b) At the courthouse.
(c) In the living room.
(d) By the gate.
5. When Joseph is in Mr. Salgado's room, what does he do when Triton finds him there?
(a) Runs out the door.
(b) Lets out a loud scream.
(c) Pushes the boy onto the bed.
(d) Threatens the boy with a knife.
6. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
(b) Jasmine flowers.
(d) Gold coins.
7. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
8. When Mr. Salgado takes a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, who is left in charge of the household?
(b) A neighbor.
9. When it starts to rain, Triton hopes that Joseph ____.
(a) Falls into the bay.
(b) Catches pneumonia.
(c) Crashes his car.
(d) Slips and falls off the bridge.
10. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
(a) He rubs a raw onion all over his hands.
(b) He wears a necklace made of chili peppers.
(c) He hides a big stick under his bed.
(d) He carries a small pocketknife everywhere he goes.
11. Why does the cashier want the narrator to use his phone?
(a) To speak with his boss.
(b) To call the police.
(c) To call his landlady.
(d) To show him how to use the phone.
12. In response to the intrusion upon the conversation between him and the narrator, what does the cashier do?
(a) Takes out his pepper spray.
(b) Hugs the individual who approached them.
(c) Shows the approaching individual the "Closed" sign.
(d) Turns off the cubicle light.
13. Who used to own the car that belongs to the narrator at the start of the story?
(a) Mr. Salgado.
(c) Miss Nili.
14. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
(a) To keep customers away while the problem is being resolved.
(b) To close early and go home to his family.
(c) So he can take a ten-minute smoking break.
(d) So the monthly electric bill won't be as high.
15. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
(a) He resents him.
(b) He takes him under his wing.
(c) He largely ignores him.
(d) He treats him kindly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mr. Salgado associated with the narrator?
2. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
3. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
4. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
5. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)