|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Triton seek refuge in the kitchen?
(a) Joseph does not go in there when onions are being prepared.
(b) It reminds him of the times he helps his mother in the kitchen.
(c) He has a secret hiding place behind the kitchen pantry.
(d) It's the only room in the house with a door that locks.
2. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
(a) Replacing the battery of his car.
(b) Washing his car.
(c) Painting his car.
(d) Filling the tank of his car.
3. What does Mr. Salgado's house represent to Triton when he is a boy?
(a) Center of the universe.
(b) A beautiful prison.
(c) Home away from home.
(d) A magical place to explore and enjoy.
4. How long has the cashier been out of Sri Lanka?
(a) Seven years ago.
(b) A decade.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Fairly recently.
5. How is Mr. Salgado associated with the narrator?
(a) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's priest.
(b) The narrator has Mr. Salgado arrested.
(c) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's uncle.
(d) The narrator used to work for Mr. Salgado.
6. With Joseph gone, Triton goes from being houseboy to being ___.
(c) Errand boy.
7. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) Stray cat.
(b) Mr. Salgado returning.
(c) A robber.
(d) Wind knocking a window open.
8. As a young servant for Mr. Salgado, Triton's regular duties include what?
(a) Organizing books and catching fish.
(b) Milking cows and gathering eggs.
(c) Watering plants and taking food to the poor.
(d) Serving tea and sweeping floors.
9. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
(a) Chats with a friend.
(b) Sits on the floor.
(c) Plays his guitar.
(d) Paces in the courtyard.
10. When Triton takes a small red onion and cuts it into quarters, what does he intend to do?
(a) Hurt Joseph somehow.
(b) Play a prank on his neighbor.
(c) Season his food with it.
(d) Protect himself against ghosts and demons.
11. When Joseph leaves and Triton is left alone in the house, how does the boy feel?
(a) Terribly frightened.
(c) At peace.
12. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
(a) Gives him coffee.
(b) Asks Triton what happened.
(c) Fires him.
(d) Punches him.
13. What color is the narrator's vehicle mentioned at the start of the story?
14. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
(a) Bay-fronted house.
(b) Glass-bottom boat.
(c) Dome-shaped temple.
(d) Flower-adorned shrine.
15. Who is Lucy-amma?
(a) The neighborhood matchmaker.
(b) The local school teacher.
(c) The old cook-woman.
(d) The young girl next door.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
2. In response to the intrusion upon the conversation between him and the narrator, what does the cashier do?
3. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
4. When it starts to rain, Triton hopes that Joseph ____.
5. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)