|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who used to own the car that belongs to the narrator at the start of the story?
(a) Mr. Salgado.
(d) Miss Nili.
2. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
(a) Replacing the battery of his car.
(b) Filling the tank of his car.
(c) Washing his car.
(d) Painting his car.
3. The region of Sri Lanka that the cashier comes from is once what?
(a) A diver's paradise.
(b) A coffee-producing economic center.
(c) A seafood cornucopia.
(d) A sanctuary for plant scientists.
4. When the cashier experiences technical difficulties, what does he consider doing?
(a) Throwing the unit away.
(b) Rummaging through the shed.
(c) Calling for help.
(d) Quitting his job.
5. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
(b) Jasmine flowers.
(d) Gold coins.
6. When it starts to rain, Triton hopes that Joseph ____.
(a) Falls into the bay.
(b) Crashes his car.
(c) Catches pneumonia.
(d) Slips and falls off the bridge.
7. Who is Lucy-amma?
(a) The neighborhood matchmaker.
(b) The local school teacher.
(c) The old cook-woman.
(d) The young girl next door.
8. Why does Triton seek refuge in the kitchen?
(a) It reminds him of the times he helps his mother in the kitchen.
(b) It's the only room in the house with a door that locks.
(c) Joseph does not go in there when onions are being prepared.
(d) He has a secret hiding place behind the kitchen pantry.
9. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
(a) He wears a necklace made of chili peppers.
(b) He rubs a raw onion all over his hands.
(c) He carries a small pocketknife everywhere he goes.
(d) He hides a big stick under his bed.
10. What is the cashier's immigration status?
(a) Dual citizen.
(b) Naturalized citizen.
(c) Illegal immigrant.
11. How long has the cashier been out of Sri Lanka?
(a) A decade.
(b) Fairly recently.
(c) Seven years ago.
(d) A year and a half.
12. In what language does the narrator try to speak to the cashier?
13. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
(a) Bay-fronted house.
(b) Flower-adorned shrine.
(c) Glass-bottom boat.
(d) Dome-shaped temple.
14. Why are Triton and Joseph left alone at Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) Mr. Salgado and Lucy-amma take separate trips at the same time.
(b) Mr. Salgado takes Lucy-amma out for her birthday.
(c) Mr. Salgado is on vacation and Lucy-amma is in the hospital.
(d) Mr. Salgado is on a business trip and Lucy-amma is taking care of a dying relative.
15. What does the word "kolla" mean in Sinhala?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stumbles towards the narrator and the cashier as the two are engrossed in conversation?
2. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
3. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
4. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
5. The cashier says his Sri Lankan home is near what city?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)