|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the story, who is Joseph?
2. The cashier says his Sri Lankan home is near what city?
3. When Joseph leaves and Triton is left alone in the house, how does the boy feel?
(a) At peace.
(c) Terribly frightened.
4. How is Mr. Salgado associated with the narrator?
(a) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's priest.
(b) The narrator has Mr. Salgado arrested.
(c) The narrator used to work for Mr. Salgado.
(d) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's uncle.
5. What color is the narrator's vehicle mentioned at the start of the story?
6. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
(a) Buys a new broom.
(b) Locks him in the basement.
(c) Laughs good-naturedly.
(d) Complains bitterly.
7. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
(a) Revenge against Mr. Salgado.
(b) Revenge against Joseph.
(c) Going back to his family.
(d) Going to the beach with the neighbor girl.
8. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
(a) The wife rubs hot chillies all over her husband as punishment for his indiscretions.
(b) A visiting classical singer is trying to stay there without being noticed by the neighbors.
(c) The husband is drunk and cranks up the volume of the radio and television.
(d) The wife steps on a cluster of poisonous scorpions.
9. How does Triton try to protect himself from Joseph when he's left alone with him in the house?
(a) He wears a necklace made of chili peppers.
(b) He rubs a raw onion all over his hands.
(c) He carries a small pocketknife everywhere he goes.
(d) He hides a big stick under his bed.
10. After taking care of his car, what does the narrator do at the start of the story?
(a) Assists another driver.
(b) Drops his wallet.
(c) Records data in a logbook.
(d) Buys an ice cream cone.
11. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
(a) Loud music.
(b) Piercing screams.
(c) Beautiful singing.
(d) Terrible howl.
12. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
(a) He resents him.
(b) He treats him kindly.
(c) He largely ignores him.
(d) He takes him under his wing.
13. At the start of the story, what does the narrator notice about the cashier?
(a) The cashier resembles him.
(b) The cashier is asleep.
(c) The cashier looks drunk.
(d) The cashier looks frightened.
14. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
(a) Raking leaves.
(b) Baking cookies.
(c) Digging an irrigation ditch.
(d) Taking inventories.
15. What does the word "kolla" mean in Sinhala?
Short Answer Questions
1. After the cashier shares information about himself with the narrator, what does he ask?
2. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
3. How old is Lucy-amma?
4. Who is Lucy-amma?
5. How long has the narrator been out of Sri Lanka?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)