|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
(a) Dome-shaped temple.
(b) Glass-bottom boat.
(c) Flower-adorned shrine.
(d) Bay-fronted house.
2. What is Triton worried about, regarding being under Joseph's rule?
(a) That he attacks the man to protect himself.
(b) That Joseph sells him to a passing tourist.
(c) That he, too, becomes mean and corrupt.
(d) That Joseph slits his throat.
3. Once inside the office, what does the narrator ask the cashier?
(a) Who helps him escape from Sri Lanka.
(b) Where he lives.
(c) Why he leaves his wife behind.
(d) How long he's been in England.
4. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
(a) Asks Triton what happened.
(b) Fires him.
(c) Gives him coffee.
(d) Punches him.
5. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
(a) The coffee shop.
(b) The garage.
(c) The office.
(d) The deli.
6. How old is Lucy-amma?
(a) Twelve years old.
(b) Twenty-eight years old.
(c) More than seventy years old.
(d) At least a hundred years old.
7. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
(a) He's been to school at the temple and is familiar with religious teachings.
(b) He has some schooling but he does not like the teachers.
(c) He's been to school, knows how to read and write, and speaks some English.
(d) He has no time for school because he's had to help raise his siblings.
8. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
(a) That Joseph throws him into the bay.
(b) That Joseph starves him.
(c) That Joseph forces him to sleep outside, under the bridge.
(d) That Joseph's brothers beats him up.
9. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
(a) A thousand miles.
(b) Six thousand miles.
(c) Two thousand eight hundred miles.
(d) Four hundred miles.
10. At the start of the story, what does the narrator notice about the cashier?
(a) The cashier looks frightened.
(b) The cashier looks drunk.
(c) The cashier is asleep.
(d) The cashier resembles him.
11. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
(a) Piercing screams.
(b) Terrible howl.
(c) Loud music.
(d) Beautiful singing.
12. As a young servant for Mr. Salgado, Triton's regular duties include what?
(a) Watering plants and taking food to the poor.
(b) Milking cows and gathering eggs.
(c) Organizing books and catching fish.
(d) Serving tea and sweeping floors.
13. When the cashier experiences technical difficulties, what does he consider doing?
(a) Quitting his job.
(b) Throwing the unit away.
(c) Calling for help.
(d) Rummaging through the shed.
14. The haberdasher who stops by Mr. Salgado's house on Thursdays is one of the what who stops by regularly?
15. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
(a) Trying out Mr. Salgado's clothes.
(b) Stealing money.
(c) Reading Mr. Salgado's diary.
(d) Rubbing cologne on his chest.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the narrator and cashier meet, what is happening in Sri Lanka?
2. After the cashier shares information about himself with the narrator, what does he ask?
3. How long is the gas station cashier on the job?
4. In what language does the narrator try to speak to the cashier?
5. What about Mr. Salgado captivates young Triton when they first meet?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)