|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
(a) Trying out Mr. Salgado's clothes.
(b) Rubbing cologne on his chest.
(c) Stealing money.
(d) Reading Mr. Salgado's diary.
2. What about Mr. Salgado captivates young Triton when they first meet?
(a) His colorful shirts.
(b) His gentle voice.
(c) His unusual glasses.
(d) His ever-present smile.
3. With Joseph gone, Triton goes from being houseboy to being ___.
(a) Errand boy.
4. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
(a) The office.
(b) The garage.
(c) The deli.
(d) The coffee shop.
5. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
(a) Chats with a friend.
(b) Plays his guitar.
(c) Sits on the floor.
(d) Paces in the courtyard.
6. Although Mr. Salgado goes to the best schools in Colombo, he considers himself what?
(a) Far more intelligent than his colleagues.
(b) A philosopher, not a scientist.
(d) Not smart enough.
7. Once inside the office, what does the narrator ask the cashier?
(a) Who helps him escape from Sri Lanka.
(b) How long he's been in England.
(c) Why he leaves his wife behind.
(d) Where he lives.
8. What does Mr. Salgado's house represent to Triton when he is a boy?
(a) A magical place to explore and enjoy.
(b) Center of the universe.
(c) Home away from home.
(d) A beautiful prison.
9. In the story, who is Joseph?
10. What does the individual who approaches the cashier and narrator begin to do?
(a) Calls their names.
(b) Hammers at the window.
(c) Cries loudly.
(d) Laughs out loud.
11. When Mr. Salgado takes a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, who is left in charge of the household?
(a) A neighbor.
12. Why are Triton and Joseph left alone at Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) Mr. Salgado takes Lucy-amma out for her birthday.
(b) Mr. Salgado and Lucy-amma take separate trips at the same time.
(c) Mr. Salgado is on vacation and Lucy-amma is in the hospital.
(d) Mr. Salgado is on a business trip and Lucy-amma is taking care of a dying relative.
13. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
(a) Six thousand miles.
(b) Two thousand eight hundred miles.
(c) Four hundred miles.
(d) A thousand miles.
14. What color is the narrator's vehicle mentioned at the start of the story?
15. The haberdasher who stops by Mr. Salgado's house on Thursdays is one of the what who stops by regularly?
Short Answer Questions
1. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
2. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
3. Meticulous when it comes to creating lists, what does the narrator log after servicing his car?
4. In response to the intrusion upon the conversation between him and the narrator, what does the cashier do?
5. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)