|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
(a) Beautiful singing.
(b) Piercing screams.
(c) Loud music.
(d) Terrible howl.
2. At the start of the story, what does the narrator notice about the cashier?
(a) The cashier looks drunk.
(b) The cashier resembles him.
(c) The cashier is asleep.
(d) The cashier looks frightened.
3. How is Mr. Salgado associated with the narrator?
(a) The narrator has Mr. Salgado arrested.
(b) The narrator used to work for Mr. Salgado.
(c) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's uncle.
(d) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's priest.
4. What vehicle does the narrator own when the story opens?
5. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
(a) No, he doesn't.
(b) He understands some.
(c) He pretends he does not understand.
(d) No, but he pretends he understands.
6. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
(a) The coffee shop.
(b) The office.
(c) The deli.
(d) The garage.
7. Who stumbles towards the narrator and the cashier as the two are engrossed in conversation?
(a) Police officer.
(b) Mutual friend.
(c) Distraught child.
(d) Drunk man.
8. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
(a) That Joseph starves him.
(b) That Joseph forces him to sleep outside, under the bridge.
(c) That Joseph's brothers beats him up.
(d) That Joseph throws him into the bay.
9. How long has the cashier been out of Sri Lanka?
(a) A year and a half.
(b) A decade.
(c) Fairly recently.
(d) Seven years ago.
10. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
(a) Laughs good-naturedly.
(b) Complains bitterly.
(c) Buys a new broom.
(d) Locks him in the basement.
11. When it starts to rain, Triton hopes that Joseph ____.
(a) Crashes his car.
(b) Falls into the bay.
(c) Catches pneumonia.
(d) Slips and falls off the bridge.
12. The region of Sri Lanka that the cashier comes from is once what?
(a) A coffee-producing economic center.
(b) A seafood cornucopia.
(c) A diver's paradise.
(d) A sanctuary for plant scientists.
13. When Joseph leaves and Triton is left alone in the house, how does the boy feel?
(a) At peace.
(c) Terribly frightened.
14. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
(d) College education.
15. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
(a) A visiting classical singer is trying to stay there without being noticed by the neighbors.
(b) The husband is drunk and cranks up the volume of the radio and television.
(c) The wife rubs hot chillies all over her husband as punishment for his indiscretions.
(d) The wife steps on a cluster of poisonous scorpions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
2. Although Mr. Salgado goes to the best schools in Colombo, he considers himself what?
3. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
4. Why are Triton and Joseph left alone at Mr. Salgado's house?
5. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)