|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Salgado's house represent to Triton when he is a boy?
(a) Home away from home.
(b) Center of the universe.
(c) A beautiful prison.
(d) A magical place to explore and enjoy.
2. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
(a) The deli.
(b) The garage.
(c) The office.
(d) The coffee shop.
3. What does the individual who approaches the cashier and narrator begin to do?
(a) Laughs out loud.
(b) Calls their names.
(c) Cries loudly.
(d) Hammers at the window.
4. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
(a) In the living room.
(b) In the library.
(c) At the courthouse.
(d) By the gate.
5. What is Triton worried about, regarding being under Joseph's rule?
(a) That Joseph slits his throat.
(b) That Joseph sells him to a passing tourist.
(c) That he, too, becomes mean and corrupt.
(d) That he attacks the man to protect himself.
6. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
(a) No, but he pretends he understands.
(b) He understands some.
(c) He pretends he does not understand.
(d) No, he doesn't.
7. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) Wind knocking a window open.
(b) Stray cat.
(c) A robber.
(d) Mr. Salgado returning.
8. The cashier says his Sri Lankan home is near what city?
9. In response to the intrusion upon the conversation between him and the narrator, what does the cashier do?
(a) Shows the approaching individual the "Closed" sign.
(b) Hugs the individual who approached them.
(c) Takes out his pepper spray.
(d) Turns off the cubicle light.
10. When Joseph is in Mr. Salgado's room, what does he do when Triton finds him there?
(a) Runs out the door.
(b) Lets out a loud scream.
(c) Pushes the boy onto the bed.
(d) Threatens the boy with a knife.
11. After recording information about his car, what does the narrator do?
(a) Closes his cans of paint.
(b) Goes to pay for the gasoline.
(c) Waxes his car.
(d) Takes his old battery in for recycling.
12. What vehicle does the narrator own when the story opens?
13. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
(a) Six thousand miles.
(b) A thousand miles.
(c) Four hundred miles.
(d) Two thousand eight hundred miles.
14. Who is Lucy-amma?
(a) The neighborhood matchmaker.
(b) The young girl next door.
(c) The old cook-woman.
(d) The local school teacher.
15. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
(a) He largely ignores him.
(b) He takes him under his wing.
(c) He resents him.
(d) He treats him kindly.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
2. Why does Triton seek refuge in the kitchen?
3. When Triton takes a small red onion and cuts it into quarters, what does he intend to do?
4. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
5. When it starts to rain, Triton hopes that Joseph ____.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)