|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
(a) Asks Triton what happened.
(b) Punches him.
(c) Fires him.
(d) Gives him coffee.
2. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
(a) He is from Sri Lanka.
(b) There is a huge community of Sri Lankans in London.
(c) His cousin teaches him a few words spoken in Sri Lanka.
(d) There is a good Sri Lankan restaurant thirty miles away.
3. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
(a) Revenge against Joseph.
(b) Going back to his family.
(c) Revenge against Mr. Salgado.
(d) Going to the beach with the neighbor girl.
4. What languages does the cashier say he speaks?
(a) Turkish and French.
(b) Hebrew and French.
(c) Hindi and a little English.
(d) Tamil and a little English.
5. Although Mr. Salgado goes to the best schools in Colombo, he considers himself what?
(a) Not smart enough.
(b) Far more intelligent than his colleagues.
(c) A philosopher, not a scientist.
6. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
(a) If the cashier knows what language is spoken in Sri Lanka.
(b) If the cashier is from Sri Lanka.
(c) If there's a good Sri Lankan restaurant nearby.
(d) If there are many Sri Lankans living in London.
7. In the story, who is Joseph?
8. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
(a) Sits on the floor.
(b) Paces in the courtyard.
(c) Chats with a friend.
(d) Plays his guitar.
9. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
(a) He receives a shirt and is warned to stay sober from now on.
(b) He is given a farewell party and told never to go near Triton again.
(c) He receives severance pay and is warned to never come back.
(d) He is given a cake and is told to leave Lucy-amma alone.
10. When Mr. Salgado takes a weekend trip to his cousin's tea estate, who is left in charge of the household?
(b) A neighbor.
11. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
(a) The office.
(b) The coffee shop.
(c) The deli.
(d) The garage.
12. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
(a) He pretends he does not understand.
(b) He understands some.
(c) No, but he pretends he understands.
(d) No, he doesn't.
13. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
(a) Six thousand miles.
(b) A thousand miles.
(c) Two thousand eight hundred miles.
(d) Four hundred miles.
14. How long is the gas station cashier on the job?
(a) Ten days.
(b) It's his first night.
(c) It's the end of his first week.
(d) One month.
15. Why does the cashier want the narrator to use his phone?
(a) To call the police.
(b) To call his landlady.
(c) To speak with his boss.
(d) To show him how to use the phone.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
2. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
3. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
4. With Joseph gone, Triton goes from being houseboy to being ___.
5. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)