Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the individual who approaches the cashier and narrator begin to do?
(a) Hammers at the window.
(b) Calls their names.
(c) Cries loudly.
(d) Laughs out loud.
2. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) Mr. Salgado returning.
(b) Stray cat.
(c) Wind knocking a window open.
(d) A robber.
3. What color is the narrator's vehicle mentioned at the start of the story?
4. The cashier experiences technical difficulties with what?
(a) Paint drying unit.
(b) Pressurized hose.
(c) Jumper cables.
(d) Electronic till.
5. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
(a) He's been to school, knows how to read and write, and speaks some English.
(b) He has some schooling but he does not like the teachers.
(c) He's been to school at the temple and is familiar with religious teachings.
(d) He has no time for school because he's had to help raise his siblings.
6. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
7. Although Mr. Salgado goes to the best schools in Colombo, he considers himself what?
(b) Not smart enough.
(c) A philosopher, not a scientist.
(d) Far more intelligent than his colleagues.
8. At the start of the story, what does the narrator notice about the cashier?
(a) The cashier looks drunk.
(b) The cashier looks frightened.
(c) The cashier is asleep.
(d) The cashier resembles him.
9. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
(a) Baking cookies.
(b) Taking inventories.
(c) Raking leaves.
(d) Digging an irrigation ditch.
10. In the story, who is Joseph?
11. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
(a) His cousin teaches him a few words spoken in Sri Lanka.
(b) He is from Sri Lanka.
(c) There is a good Sri Lankan restaurant thirty miles away.
(d) There is a huge community of Sri Lankans in London.
12. Who used to own the car that belongs to the narrator at the start of the story?
(a) Miss Nili.
(b) Mr. Salgado.
13. When Joseph is in Mr. Salgado's room, what does he do when Triton finds him there?
(a) Runs out the door.
(b) Threatens the boy with a knife.
(c) Pushes the boy onto the bed.
(d) Lets out a loud scream.
14. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
(a) Fires him.
(b) Punches him.
(c) Gives him coffee.
(d) Asks Triton what happened.
15. Where does the cashier invite the narrator to?
(a) The garage.
(b) The office.
(c) The coffee shop.
(d) The deli.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
2. When the cashier experiences technical difficulties, what does he consider doing?
3. Why does the cashier want the narrator to use his phone?
4. With Joseph gone, Triton goes from being houseboy to being ___.
5. In response to the intrusion upon the conversation between him and the narrator, what does the cashier do?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)