|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
(a) The wife rubs hot chillies all over her husband as punishment for his indiscretions.
(b) A visiting classical singer is trying to stay there without being noticed by the neighbors.
(c) The husband is drunk and cranks up the volume of the radio and television.
(d) The wife steps on a cluster of poisonous scorpions.
2. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
(a) Punches him.
(b) Gives him coffee.
(c) Asks Triton what happened.
(d) Fires him.
3. With Joseph gone, Triton goes from being houseboy to being ___.
(b) Errand boy.
4. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
(a) That Joseph starves him.
(b) That Joseph forces him to sleep outside, under the bridge.
(c) That Joseph throws him into the bay.
(d) That Joseph's brothers beats him up.
5. In the story, who is Joseph?
6. After the cashier shares information about himself with the narrator, what does he ask?
(a) Where the narrator went to school.
(b) If the narrator is married.
(c) If the narrator lives nearby.
(d) How the narrator likes London.
7. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
(a) In the library.
(b) In the living room.
(c) By the gate.
(d) At the courthouse.
8. How long is the gas station cashier on the job?
(a) It's his first night.
(b) One month.
(c) It's the end of his first week.
(d) Ten days.
9. Why does the cashier want the narrator to use his phone?
(a) To speak with his boss.
(b) To call the police.
(c) To show him how to use the phone.
(d) To call his landlady.
10. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
(a) He pretends he does not understand.
(b) He understands some.
(c) No, but he pretends he understands.
(d) No, he doesn't.
11. What vehicle does the narrator own when the story opens?
12. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
(a) There is a good Sri Lankan restaurant thirty miles away.
(b) There is a huge community of Sri Lankans in London.
(c) His cousin teaches him a few words spoken in Sri Lanka.
(d) He is from Sri Lanka.
13. After recording information about his car, what does the narrator do?
(a) Goes to pay for the gasoline.
(b) Closes his cans of paint.
(c) Takes his old battery in for recycling.
(d) Waxes his car.
14. How old is Lucy-amma?
(a) Twenty-eight years old.
(b) Twelve years old.
(c) More than seventy years old.
(d) At least a hundred years old.
15. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
(a) Flower-adorned shrine.
(b) Glass-bottom boat.
(c) Dome-shaped temple.
(d) Bay-fronted house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once inside the office, what does the narrator ask the cashier?
2. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
3. After taking care of his car, what does the narrator do at the start of the story?
4. Although Mr. Salgado goes to the best schools in Colombo, he considers himself what?
5. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)