|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
(a) He pretends he does not understand.
(b) No, but he pretends he understands.
(c) No, he doesn't.
(d) He understands some.
2. When Triton takes a small red onion and cuts it into quarters, what does he intend to do?
(a) Play a prank on his neighbor.
(b) Season his food with it.
(c) Hurt Joseph somehow.
(d) Protect himself against ghosts and demons.
3. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
(a) Terrible howl.
(b) Piercing screams.
(c) Beautiful singing.
(d) Loud music.
4. Although Mr. Salgado goes to the best schools in Colombo, he considers himself what?
(a) A philosopher, not a scientist.
(b) Not smart enough.
(d) Far more intelligent than his colleagues.
5. Once inside the office, what does the narrator ask the cashier?
(a) Where he lives.
(b) Why he leaves his wife behind.
(c) How long he's been in England.
(d) Who helps him escape from Sri Lanka.
6. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
(a) Six thousand miles.
(b) Four hundred miles.
(c) Two thousand eight hundred miles.
(d) A thousand miles.
7. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
(a) There is a good Sri Lankan restaurant thirty miles away.
(b) He is from Sri Lanka.
(c) His cousin teaches him a few words spoken in Sri Lanka.
(d) There is a huge community of Sri Lankans in London.
8. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
(a) If there's a good Sri Lankan restaurant nearby.
(b) If the cashier is from Sri Lanka.
(c) If the cashier knows what language is spoken in Sri Lanka.
(d) If there are many Sri Lankans living in London.
9. What color is the narrator's vehicle mentioned at the start of the story?
10. What does the word "kolla" mean in Sinhala?
11. As a young servant for Mr. Salgado, Triton's regular duties include what?
(a) Milking cows and gathering eggs.
(b) Serving tea and sweeping floors.
(c) Watering plants and taking food to the poor.
(d) Organizing books and catching fish.
12. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) Stray cat.
(b) Wind knocking a window open.
(c) A robber.
(d) Mr. Salgado returning.
13. Why does Triton run away from home?
(a) His mother wants him to become a temple priest, but he refuses.
(b) He is tired of the daily beatings he receives from his uncle.
(c) He is the oldest of twelve kids and he wants to get away from the daily chaos.
(d) He burns a roof at his school and fears his father's wrath.
14. How long has the cashier been out of Sri Lanka?
(a) A decade.
(b) Fairly recently.
(c) A year and a half.
(d) Seven years ago.
15. Why does the cashier want the narrator to use his phone?
(a) To call the police.
(b) To show him how to use the phone.
(c) To call his landlady.
(d) To speak with his boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
2. What languages does the cashier say he speaks?
3. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
4. What does the individual who approaches the cashier and narrator begin to do?
5. How long has the narrator been out of Sri Lanka?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)