|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
(a) Taking inventories.
(b) Raking leaves.
(c) Baking cookies.
(d) Digging an irrigation ditch.
2. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
(a) A robber.
(b) Stray cat.
(c) Mr. Salgado returning.
(d) Wind knocking a window open.
3. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
(a) Sits on the floor.
(b) Chats with a friend.
(c) Paces in the courtyard.
(d) Plays his guitar.
4. What languages does the cashier say he speaks?
(a) Hindi and a little English.
(b) Hebrew and French.
(c) Tamil and a little English.
(d) Turkish and French.
5. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
(a) Asks Triton what happened.
(b) Gives him coffee.
(c) Punches him.
(d) Fires him.
6. How does Joseph react when Triton shortens the broom handle?
(a) Complains bitterly.
(b) Laughs good-naturedly.
(c) Locks him in the basement.
(d) Buys a new broom.
7. When Joseph leaves and Triton is left alone in the house, how does the boy feel?
(a) At peace.
(c) Terribly frightened.
8. When the narrator and the cashier strike up a conversation, what does the narrator want to know?
(a) If the cashier knows what language is spoken in Sri Lanka.
(b) If the cashier is from Sri Lanka.
(c) If there are many Sri Lankans living in London.
(d) If there's a good Sri Lankan restaurant nearby.
9. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
(a) He treats him kindly.
(b) He takes him under his wing.
(c) He resents him.
(d) He largely ignores him.
10. How is Mr. Salgado associated with the narrator?
(a) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's uncle.
(b) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's priest.
(c) The narrator has Mr. Salgado arrested.
(d) The narrator used to work for Mr. Salgado.
11. Who used to own the car that belongs to the narrator at the start of the story?
(b) Miss Nili.
(d) Mr. Salgado.
12. Why does the cashier want the narrator to use his phone?
(a) To show him how to use the phone.
(b) To speak with his boss.
(c) To call the police.
(d) To call his landlady.
13. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
(a) Flower-adorned shrine.
(b) Glass-bottom boat.
(c) Dome-shaped temple.
(d) Bay-fronted house.
14. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
(a) No, but he pretends he understands.
(b) He pretends he does not understand.
(c) He understands some.
(d) No, he doesn't.
15. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
(a) That Joseph's brothers beats him up.
(b) That Joseph forces him to sleep outside, under the bridge.
(c) That Joseph throws him into the bay.
(d) That Joseph starves him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Triton seek refuge in the kitchen?
2. The cashier says his Sri Lankan home is near what city?
3. What does the word "kolla" mean in Sinhala?
4. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
5. What does the cashier confirm to the narrator?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)