|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Joseph feel and act towards Triton?
(a) He takes him under his wing.
(b) He treats him kindly.
(c) He largely ignores him.
(d) He resents him.
2. When Joseph leaves and Triton is left alone in the house, how does the boy feel?
(a) At peace.
(d) Terribly frightened.
3. What about Mr. Salgado captivates young Triton when they first meet?
(a) His gentle voice.
(b) His unusual glasses.
(c) His ever-present smile.
(d) His colorful shirts.
4. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
(a) Two thousand eight hundred miles.
(b) A thousand miles.
(c) Six thousand miles.
(d) Four hundred miles.
5. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
(c) College education.
6. What is Triton worried about, regarding being under Joseph's rule?
(a) That Joseph slits his throat.
(b) That he, too, becomes mean and corrupt.
(c) That Joseph sells him to a passing tourist.
(d) That he attacks the man to protect himself.
7. How old is Triton when he goes to work for Mr. Salgado?
8. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
(a) He receives severance pay and is warned to never come back.
(b) He is given a cake and is told to leave Lucy-amma alone.
(c) He receives a shirt and is warned to stay sober from now on.
(d) He is given a farewell party and told never to go near Triton again.
9. Why is the cashier impressed with the narrator?
(a) He attends Oxford.
(b) He used to be a marine biologist.
(c) He owns a restaurant.
(d) He is a vegetarian.
10. After taking care of his car, what does the narrator do at the start of the story?
(a) Assists another driver.
(b) Drops his wallet.
(c) Buys an ice cream cone.
(d) Records data in a logbook.
11. After recording information about his car, what does the narrator do?
(a) Waxes his car.
(b) Closes his cans of paint.
(c) Takes his old battery in for recycling.
(d) Goes to pay for the gasoline.
12. How is Mr. Salgado associated with the narrator?
(a) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's priest.
(b) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's uncle.
(c) The narrator used to work for Mr. Salgado.
(d) The narrator has Mr. Salgado arrested.
13. Why are Triton and Joseph left alone at Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) Mr. Salgado is on a business trip and Lucy-amma is taking care of a dying relative.
(b) Mr. Salgado is on vacation and Lucy-amma is in the hospital.
(c) Mr. Salgado takes Lucy-amma out for her birthday.
(d) Mr. Salgado and Lucy-amma take separate trips at the same time.
14. Who stumbles towards the narrator and the cashier as the two are engrossed in conversation?
(a) Police officer.
(b) Mutual friend.
(c) Distraught child.
(d) Drunk man.
15. At night, what does young Triton dream of?
(a) Revenge against Mr. Salgado.
(b) Going to the beach with the neighbor girl.
(c) Going back to his family.
(d) Revenge against Joseph.
Short Answer Questions
1. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
2. As a young servant for Mr. Salgado, Triton's regular duties include what?
3. After the cashier shares information about himself with the narrator, what does he ask?
4. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
5. Alone in the house, Triton falls asleep. When he is awakened by a sound, what does he think it is?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)