|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the cashier's immigration status?
(a) Dual citizen.
(c) Naturalized citizen.
(d) Illegal immigrant.
2. How long has the narrator been out of Sri Lanka?
(a) Less than a month.
(b) Three years.
(c) More than twenty years.
(d) Twelve years.
3. What does Mr. Salgado's house represent to Triton when he is a boy?
(a) Center of the universe.
(b) Home away from home.
(c) A beautiful prison.
(d) A magical place to explore and enjoy.
4. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
(a) He's been to school, knows how to read and write, and speaks some English.
(b) He has no time for school because he's had to help raise his siblings.
(c) He has some schooling but he does not like the teachers.
(d) He's been to school at the temple and is familiar with religious teachings.
5. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
(a) He is given a farewell party and told never to go near Triton again.
(b) He is given a cake and is told to leave Lucy-amma alone.
(c) He receives a shirt and is warned to stay sober from now on.
(d) He receives severance pay and is warned to never come back.
6. What does the individual who approaches the cashier and narrator begin to do?
(a) Cries loudly.
(b) Laughs out loud.
(c) Hammers at the window.
(d) Calls their names.
7. Why does Triton run away from home?
(a) He burns a roof at his school and fears his father's wrath.
(b) He is tired of the daily beatings he receives from his uncle.
(c) His mother wants him to become a temple priest, but he refuses.
(d) He is the oldest of twelve kids and he wants to get away from the daily chaos.
8. At the start of the story, what does the narrator notice about the cashier?
(a) The cashier is asleep.
(b) The cashier looks drunk.
(c) The cashier resembles him.
(d) The cashier looks frightened.
9. Although Mr. Salgado goes to the best schools in Colombo, he considers himself what?
(a) Far more intelligent than his colleagues.
(c) Not smart enough.
(d) A philosopher, not a scientist.
10. How far away is Sri Lanka from England?
(a) A thousand miles.
(b) Four hundred miles.
(c) Six thousand miles.
(d) Two thousand eight hundred miles.
11. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
(a) Plays his guitar.
(b) Paces in the courtyard.
(c) Chats with a friend.
(d) Sits on the floor.
12. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
(c) College education.
13. Why are Triton and Joseph left alone at Mr. Salgado's house?
(a) Mr. Salgado takes Lucy-amma out for her birthday.
(b) Mr. Salgado is on a business trip and Lucy-amma is taking care of a dying relative.
(c) Mr. Salgado and Lucy-amma take separate trips at the same time.
(d) Mr. Salgado is on vacation and Lucy-amma is in the hospital.
14. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
(a) Punches him.
(b) Gives him coffee.
(c) Fires him.
(d) Asks Triton what happened.
15. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
(a) The wife rubs hot chillies all over her husband as punishment for his indiscretions.
(b) The husband is drunk and cranks up the volume of the radio and television.
(c) A visiting classical singer is trying to stay there without being noticed by the neighbors.
(d) The wife steps on a cluster of poisonous scorpions.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Triton takes a small red onion and cuts it into quarters, what does he intend to do?
2. After recording information about his car, what does the narrator do?
3. In what language does the narrator try to speak to the cashier?
4. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
5. Who stumbles towards the narrator and the cashier as the two are engrossed in conversation?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)