|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lucy-amma?
(a) The young girl next door.
(b) The old cook-woman.
(c) The neighborhood matchmaker.
(d) The local school teacher.
2. Who stumbles towards the narrator and the cashier as the two are engrossed in conversation?
(a) Distraught child.
(b) Mutual friend.
(c) Drunk man.
(d) Police officer.
3. When the cashier mentions the part of Sri Lanka that he's from, what does the narrator think of?
(b) Gold coins.
(c) Jasmine flowers.
4. How long has the cashier been out of Sri Lanka?
(a) A year and a half.
(b) A decade.
(c) Seven years ago.
(d) Fairly recently.
5. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
(a) To close early and go home to his family.
(b) So the monthly electric bill won't be as high.
(c) So he can take a ten-minute smoking break.
(d) To keep customers away while the problem is being resolved.
6. When Triton takes a small red onion and cuts it into quarters, what does he intend to do?
(a) Season his food with it.
(b) Protect himself against ghosts and demons.
(c) Play a prank on his neighbor.
(d) Hurt Joseph somehow.
7. When Triton gets up to investigate the source of the sound in the house, he finds Joseph in Mr. Salgado's room. What is the man doing there?
(a) Reading Mr. Salgado's diary.
(b) Trying out Mr. Salgado's clothes.
(c) Stealing money.
(d) Rubbing cologne on his chest.
8. What does Triton say when Mr. Salgado asks him if he has any schooling?
(a) He has some schooling but he does not like the teachers.
(b) He has no time for school because he's had to help raise his siblings.
(c) He's been to school, knows how to read and write, and speaks some English.
(d) He's been to school at the temple and is familiar with religious teachings.
9. When Joseph is in Mr. Salgado's room, what does he do when Triton finds him there?
(a) Lets out a loud scream.
(b) Threatens the boy with a knife.
(c) Runs out the door.
(d) Pushes the boy onto the bed.
10. How is Mr. Salgado associated with the narrator?
(a) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's priest.
(b) The narrator has Mr. Salgado arrested.
(c) The narrator used to work for Mr. Salgado.
(d) Mr. Salgado is the narrator's uncle.
11. The cashier experiences technical difficulties with what?
(a) Pressurized hose.
(b) Electronic till.
(c) Paint drying unit.
(d) Jumper cables.
12. In the story, who is Joseph?
13. The cashier tells the narrator that he, too, has a:
(d) College education.
14. As a young servant for Mr. Salgado, Triton's regular duties include what?
(a) Watering plants and taking food to the poor.
(b) Serving tea and sweeping floors.
(c) Milking cows and gathering eggs.
(d) Organizing books and catching fish.
15. One night, Triton dreams that there is a demon in the house, and in the morning he oversleeps. What does he tell Mr. Salgado that morning?
(a) Someone tries to break in, but Triton chases him away.
(b) Triton fears the house may be haunted.
(c) The raging storm outside keeps Triton up all night.
(d) Joseph steals Mr. Salgado's best wine the night before.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Mr. Salgado goes to the best schools in Colombo, he considers himself what?
2. At the start of the story, what does the narrator notice about the cashier?
3. What color is the narrator's vehicle mentioned at the start of the story?
4. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
5. Among the many new tasks Mr. Salgado gives Joseph in preparation for his absence due to a trip, the most significant is ___.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)