|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the cashier turn off the outside lights?
(a) To close early and go home to his family.
(b) So the monthly electric bill won't be as high.
(c) So he can take a ten-minute smoking break.
(d) To keep customers away while the problem is being resolved.
2. What is Triton worried about, regarding being under Joseph's rule?
(a) That he attacks the man to protect himself.
(b) That Joseph slits his throat.
(c) That he, too, becomes mean and corrupt.
(d) That Joseph sells him to a passing tourist.
3. Why does Triton run away from home?
(a) His mother wants him to become a temple priest, but he refuses.
(b) He is tired of the daily beatings he receives from his uncle.
(c) He is the oldest of twelve kids and he wants to get away from the daily chaos.
(d) He burns a roof at his school and fears his father's wrath.
4. What languages does the cashier say he speaks?
(a) Turkish and French.
(b) Hebrew and French.
(c) Tamil and a little English.
(d) Hindi and a little English.
5. When Triton finds himself alone with Joseph at Mr. Salgado's house, what is he afraid of?
(a) That Joseph forces him to sleep outside, under the bridge.
(b) That Joseph's brothers beats him up.
(c) That Joseph starves him.
(d) That Joseph throws him into the bay.
6. After recording information about his car, what does the narrator do?
(a) Closes his cans of paint.
(b) Takes his old battery in for recycling.
(c) Goes to pay for the gasoline.
(d) Waxes his car.
7. Once inside the office, what does the narrator ask the cashier?
(a) Where he lives.
(b) Why he leaves his wife behind.
(c) Who helps him escape from Sri Lanka.
(d) How long he's been in England.
8. When the cashier experiences technical difficulties, what does he consider doing?
(a) Throwing the unit away.
(b) Rummaging through the shed.
(c) Quitting his job.
(d) Calling for help.
9. As the narrator begins to speak about his former life in Sri Lanka, he talks about a ______.
(a) Bay-fronted house.
(b) Flower-adorned shrine.
(c) Glass-bottom boat.
(d) Dome-shaped temple.
10. When Mr. Salgado returns from his trip and finds Joseph first missing and later drunk, what does he do?
(a) Gives him coffee.
(b) Fires him.
(c) Punches him.
(d) Asks Triton what happened.
11. Does the cashier understand the suggestions the narrator gives him in a Sri Lankan language?
(a) No, he doesn't.
(b) He understands some.
(c) He pretends he does not understand.
(d) No, but he pretends he understands.
12. One night, Triton dreams that there is a demon in the house, and in the morning he oversleeps. What does he tell Mr. Salgado that morning?
(a) Joseph steals Mr. Salgado's best wine the night before.
(b) The raging storm outside keeps Triton up all night.
(c) Someone tries to break in, but Triton chases him away.
(d) Triton fears the house may be haunted.
13. The cashier says his Sri Lankan home is near what city?
14. When Triton takes a small red onion and cuts it into quarters, what does he intend to do?
(a) Play a prank on his neighbor.
(b) Protect himself against ghosts and demons.
(c) Season his food with it.
(d) Hurt Joseph somehow.
15. What compensation does Joseph get, and what warning does he get, at the end of "Kolla"?
(a) He receives severance pay and is warned to never come back.
(b) He is given a cake and is told to leave Lucy-amma alone.
(c) He receives a shirt and is warned to stay sober from now on.
(d) He is given a farewell party and told never to go near Triton again.
Short Answer Questions
1. After escaping from Joseph, where does Triton go to wait?
2. As Triton waits to meet Mr. Salgado, he:
3. What is the narrator doing as the story opens?
4. What do Triton, Mr. Salgado, and others in the neighborhood hear coming from house number eight?
5. What do the police and neighbors discover at house number eight?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)