* The story begins with Triton, the narrator, filling up the tank of his old Volkswagen, which used to belong to Mr. Salgado.
* Triton is out of Sri Lanka for more than twenty years.
* The reader learns that in the past, he is strongly influenced by Mr. Salgado.
* Triton records in a log book his car's mileage, how much gas he puts in, and the date.
* When he pays for the gas, he notices that the cashier resembles him.
* Triton realizes that the cashier is also from Sri Lanka.
* After experiencing technical difficulties, the cashier is about to make a phone call to get help.
* Triton speaks to him in Sinhala and offers a suggestion.
* The cashier explains that he speaks only Tamil and a bit of English.
* This is the cashier's first night on the job.
* The cashier invites Triton to the office and asks him...
This section contains 2,042 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)