|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chickenhound considers Redwall to be his _____.
2. The adder's jaws are the only _____ in the wood.
3. When Matthias calls Brother Methuselah an ancient wizard for tricking Warbeak, he replies that he thinks of himself as _____.
4. What does Jess Squirrel use as a decoy when she steals back the tapestry?
5. What does Basil Stag Hare eat with his plateful of quince when he returns to Redwall with a "war wound"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Plumpen do when he gets into Redwall?
2. How does Matthias's imagination play tricks on him when he is lying in wait for Asmodeus, and how does he deal with this?
3. How does Matthias explain why he is in the part of Mossflower run by the shrews, and how do they react to his presence?
4. Who is Greytail, and how did he die?
5. What happens to Chickenhound after he and his mother have been stabbed?
6. What does Squire Julian Gingivere remember about the Sword of Martin and what does he warn Matthias about?
7. What does Father Abbot Mortimer tell Matthias as the old abbot is dying?
8. How does Basil Stag Hare propose that Matthias approach Captain Snow for help as a guide to finding Asmodeus?
9. Why does Squire Julian Gingivere harbor resentment toward Captain Snow?
10. How does Basil Stag Hare act when he comes back from his encounter with Cluny injured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Brother Methuselah discovers the riddle behind the tapestry. How does the riddle reveal the destiny of Matthias?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the nature of the rats with the nature of the mice of Redwall. Which are more human in the way they deal with the world? What is the author trying to say about the nature of humans through his portrayal of the animals?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Sela the vixen's role in the war between the rats and the mice. Who is she really in it for? What is her nature regarding the matters of conflict? What happens to her as a result of her actions?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)