|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matthias calls Silent Sam a splendid _____.
2. Constance Badger pulls the Churchmouse family in the cart, acting as guide and _____.
3. What are the walls of the Abbey made of?
4. How does the author describe the color of Basil Stag Hare's coat?
5. Matthias takes refuge in Mossflower Wood in _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Cornflower's duties at Redwall and how do they increase after Matthias returns?
2. What has happened to Ambrose Spike when Matthias and his friends find him and what do Constance Badger's instincts tell her is happening?
3. What does Matthias surmise as he reaches the edge of the woods on his way to St. Ninian's?
4. What do Brothers Rufus and George include in their incident report?
5. How do Matthias and Cluny react to Cornflower when Cluny enters Redwall?
6. How does Basil Stag Hare create a diversion so that Matthias can get into St. Ninian's?
7. How does Cluny feel about losing the element of surprise in attacking Redwall?
8. When Basil Stag Hare introduces himself to Matthias, what credentials does he list?
9. How does Sela manipulate Fangburn?
10. What does Cheesethief think to himself when he overhears Cluny promising to promote the weasel Scragg over his rats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
List the articles of death and slavery that Cluny reads to the mice of Redwall. How does Father Abbot Mortimer react to them? What does Cluny say as he leaves Redwall?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the allegory of Martin the Warrior. What does he represent for the mice of Redwall? How does he inspire Matthias?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Matthias's encounter with the shrews. How does he eventually befriend them? What happens as a result of the deal he has made with Captain Snow? How does everyone involved act as a result of this turn of events?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)