Book 1, The Wall, Chapters 1-8
• Matthias, a clumsy novice at Redwall Abbey stumbles into Abbot Mortimer, who takes him aside to explain that the age of warriors is past.
• A tapestry portrays the early history of the Abbey, including the heroic Martin the Warrior, an early champion of the Abbey, whom Matthias wants to imitate.
• Cluny the Scourge, a tough, one-eyed, long-tailed rat with a vicious temper, charges toward the Abbey in a hay cart filled with his army of 500 rats.
• The Great Hall of Redwall hosts a high-spirited dinner attended by woodland creatures.
• Matthias sits with beautiful young Cornflower.
• Cluny is in a foul mood as the horse collapses, exhausted, and he is indifferent when the rat that he sends to frighten the beast back to its feet is trampled.
• Mortimer assigns Matthias as bodyguard to the cart that Constance Badger pulls, sparing guests a long walk...
This section contains 2,215 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)