|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator attend a memorial service for his team leader in "In Vietnam They Had Whores"?
2. Who is the narrator of "War Stories"?
3. What is Vockler's military unit when he is killed?
4. What word from "In Vietnam They Had Whores" refers to an uncomfortably warm environment?
5. What is given to the narrator before his deployment in "In Vietnam They Had Whores"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the theme of guilt apply to Wilson in “War Stories”?
2. What symbolism is related in the story “In Vietnam They Had Whores”?
3. What is portrayed as an obstacle for Marines in obtaining mental help in “Prayer in the Furnace”?
4. What conversation takes place between Wilson and Jessie in the end of “War Stories”?
5. How does the theme of exploitation apply to Waguih in “Psychological Operations”?
6. How does Waguih describe the incident where he was responsible for another man’s death in “Psychological Operations”?
7. What compels the Marines to create mathematical formulas in “Ten Kliks South”?
8. Whom does the priest reach out to for advice in “Prayer in the Furnace”? What advice does he receive?
9. Who is James Vockler and how does his death impact the narrator in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
10. How is Jewett described in “Ten Kliks South”? What is Jewett’s central conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Rodriguez and the priest in “Prayer in the Furnace.” Why does the priest relate to Rodriguez’s anger? How does the priest go about helping Rodriguez? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the characters of Waguih and Zara in “Psychological Operations.” What are the actions, objectives, and obstacles of each character in the story? What is the emotional driving force for each of these characters? What do they each represent symbolically in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of baseball in “Money as a Weapons System.” What does baseball represent symbolically in the story? How does the narrator feel about baseball and the uniforms that have been sent to him? Why?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)