|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jessie's disability in "War Stories"?
2. What medal has Boylan earned in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
3. What did Wilson and Jenks spend most of their time doing when deployed in Iraq?
4. Where are Rodriguez and the priest standing in the beginning of "Prayer in the Furnace"?
5. The priest's former mentor tells him in "Prayer in the Furnace" that it is natural for men to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jewett to risk insubordination in “Ten Kliks South”?
2. How does the theme of guilt apply to Wilson in “War Stories”?
3. What compels the Marines to create mathematical formulas in “Ten Kliks South”?
4. What does the narrator represent symbolically in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
5. What does Waguih relate to Zara regarding propaganda in “Psychological Operations”?
6. How are the characters of Sarah and Jessie described in “War Stories”?
7. How does Jenks describe his experience when injured in “War Stories”?
8. How does the theme of exploitation apply to Waguih in “Psychological Operations”?
9. What does Rodriguez symbolize in “Prayer in the Furnace”?
10. How does the theme of guilt apply to Boylan in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the characters of Wilson and Jenks in “War Stories.” How old are these characters? Where do they live? Why are they meeting Sarah and Jessie in the narrative? What is their relationship to one another?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss aspects of irony and foreshadowing in “FRAGO.” What is ironic about the Iraqis that have been saved in the story? What happens to them? How is “the enemy” defined in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator’s relationship with his father in “In Vietnam They Had Whores.” Why is the narrator’s father telling him war stories in the beginning of the story? How does the narrator respond to the stories?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)