|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Deetz say a person would be charged with for killing in America with the weapons used in Iraq in "Ten Kliks South"?
2. By the end of deployment, how many men in Rodriguez's battalion have been injured in "Prayer in the Furnace"?
3. What word from "Psychological Operations" means a temporary stay?
4. The priest's former mentor tells him in "Prayer in the Furnace" that it is natural for men to do what?
5. When did Jenks join the Marine Corps?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Boylan relate of his career in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”? What does the narrator ask Boylan at the end of the story?
2. What symbolism and themes are related through the story “Ten Kliks South”?
3. How is Jewett described in “Ten Kliks South”? What is Jewett’s central conflict?
4. How are the characters of Sarah and Jessie described in “War Stories”?
5. What conversation takes place between Wilson and Jessie in the end of “War Stories”?
6. What symbolism is related in the story “In Vietnam They Had Whores”?
7. How does Jenks describe his experience when injured in “War Stories”?
8. What compels the Marines to create mathematical formulas in “Ten Kliks South”?
9. What does Waguih relate to Zara regarding propaganda in “Psychological Operations”?
10. Describe the narrative style of “In Vietnam They Had Whores.” What is happening in the beginning of the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship between Rodriguez and the priest in “Prayer in the Furnace.” Why does the priest relate to Rodriguez’s anger? How does the priest go about helping Rodriguez? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of lying or exaggeration in “Bodies.” Why does the narrator lie about or exaggerate his stories of the war? How do his lies and exaggerations differ for different people? What is the truth of his experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Timhead in “After Action Report.” What are Timhead’s actions, objectives, and obstacles in the story? What are the main conflicts that Timhead grapples with? Who assists Timhead?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)