|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the narrator's position during his second deployment to Fallujah in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
2. Who reads aloud Jenks's words about his injury in "War Stories"?
3. When did Jenks join the Marine Corps?
4. Where has Kevin Boylan just returned from in the beginning of “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
5. Who says he doesn't feel like he killed anybody in "Ten Kliks South"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What compels the Marines to create mathematical formulas in “Ten Kliks South”?
2. How are the characters of Sarah and Jessie described in “War Stories”?
3. How does Waguih describe the incident where he was responsible for another man’s death in “Psychological Operations”?
4. How does the theme of exploitation apply to Waguih in “Psychological Operations”?
5. What does the narrator represent symbolically in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
6. Who is James Vockler and how does his death impact the narrator in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
7. What symbolism and themes are related through the story “Ten Kliks South”?
8. How would you describe the characters of Wilson and Jenks in “War Stories”?
9. What does Boylan relate of his career in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”? What does the narrator ask Boylan at the end of the story?
10. How does Jenks describe his experience when injured in “War Stories”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the actions, objectives, obstacles, and conflicts of Najdah in “Money as a Weapons System.” What organization has Najdah established? What has driven her to her cause? What is the outcome for her objectives?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze, and discuss the language in “OIF.” Why does the author employ military lingo and acronyms throughout the story? What effects does the language have on the reader? What are examples of these terms?
Essay Topic 3
Why does the narrator of “OIF” make the decision to redeploy? What alternatives does he face? What does he hope to gain from his redeployment? How does this decision affect his life?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)