|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from "War Stories" refers to fragmentation thrown out by an exploding bomb or shell?
2. Where does the narrator attend a memorial service for his team leader in "In Vietnam They Had Whores"?
3. What is Rodriguez covered in during the beginning of "Prayer in the Furnace"?
4. What is Deetz eating in "Ten Kliks South"?
5. Where is the first female that the narrator sees during his deployment in "In Vietnam They Had Whores"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator think about when he passes the medic tent in “Ten Kliks South”?
2. How are the characters of Sarah and Jessie described in “War Stories”?
3. How does Jenks describe his experience when injured in “War Stories”?
4. How does the narrator describe the statistics of Rodriguez’s battalion in “Prayer in the Furnace”?
5. What conversation takes place between Wilson and Jessie in the end of “War Stories”?
6. Who is James Vockler and how does his death impact the narrator in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
7. What does Waguih represent in “Psychological Operations”? What was Waguih’s role in the military?
8. How does Waguih describe the incident where he was responsible for another man’s death in “Psychological Operations”?
9. Describe the narrative style of “In Vietnam They Had Whores.” What is happening in the beginning of the story?
10. What does Waguih relate to Zara regarding propaganda in “Psychological Operations”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the actions, objectives, obstacles, and conflicts of Najdah in “Money as a Weapons System.” What organization has Najdah established? What has driven her to her cause? What is the outcome for her objectives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the narrator’s relationship with his father in “In Vietnam They Had Whores.” Why is the narrator’s father telling him war stories in the beginning of the story? How does the narrator respond to the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of lying or exaggeration in “Bodies.” Why does the narrator lie about or exaggerate his stories of the war? How do his lies and exaggerations differ for different people? What is the truth of his experiences?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)