|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does PFC refer to in "Redeployment"?
2. What does the narrator consider drinking to deal with his circumstances in "FRAGO"?
3. How is the narrator's hometown described in "Bodies"?
4. How does the narrator describe his feelings for the PFC that died in the end of "OIF"?
5. Who is the DI the narrator describes having beaten an Iraqi to death with a radio in "After Action Report"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the narrator describe his trip to a local mall in “Redeployment”?
2. What conflicts does the narrator face in “Money as a Weapons System”?
3. How would you describe the language style of “OIF”? Why do you think the author employs this style?
4. How do the Marines enter the targeted house in “FRAGO”? What do they discover upon entering?
5. What irony is related regarding Rachel in “Bodies”?
6. Who is the narrator of “After Action Report”? What is taking place when this story begins?
7. What killing has taken place in “After Action Report”? Why does the narrator take credit for the killing?
8. What decision does the narrator make at the end of “OIF”? Why?
9. What does the narrator do in the end of “Redeployment”? Why?
10. How does the narrator feel when turning in his rifle after deployment in “Redeployment”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the narrator of “OIF” make the decision to redeploy? What alternatives does he face? What does he hope to gain from his redeployment? How does this decision affect his life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Rachel in “Bodies.” What does Rachel represent symbolically for the narrator? How has Rachel influenced the narrator’s actions? What is symbolized by her absence at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the narrator’s relationship with his father in “In Vietnam They Had Whores.” Why is the narrator’s father telling him war stories in the beginning of the story? How does the narrator respond to the stories?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)