|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Corporal G convince the narrator to go with him when they get a nintey-six in "Bodies"?
2. Who shoots the young Iraqi boy in "After Action Report"?
3. What is the name of the narrator's dog in "Redeployment"?
4. Who sends Nathan an email suggesting he start a baseball league with the local Iraqi boys in “Money as a Weapons System”?
5. How old is the woman at the bar that Corporal G tries to set up with the narrator in "Bodies"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the narrator of “Bodies”? How does this narrator describe his feelings about the war in the story?
2. How would you describe the language style of “OIF”? Why do you think the author employs this style?
3. How is the narrator’s civilian life described when he returns home in “Redeployment”?
4. What was the narrator’s position in the military in “Bodies”? How did this position affect him?
5. Who is Rachel, and what role does she play in the story “Bodies”?
6. What do the military medals in “OIF” represent symbolically?
7. What do the Marines do after entering the basement in “FRAGO”?
8. What is symbolized by the baseball uniforms in “Money as a Weapons System”?
9. What is symbolized by the activity described in the beginning of “Redeployment”?
10. How does the narrator describe the different units in “OIF”? What was the narrator’s unit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Rachel in “Bodies.” What does Rachel represent symbolically for the narrator? How has Rachel influenced the narrator’s actions? What is symbolized by her absence at the end of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Rodriguez and the priest in “Prayer in the Furnace.” Why does the priest relate to Rodriguez’s anger? How does the priest go about helping Rodriguez? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of dogs in “Redeployment.” How does the narrator describe the dogs during his deployment? How does he feel about killing the dogs? How does the narrator’s dog at come connect with the dogs in Iraq?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)