|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Corporal G convince the narrator to go with him when they get a nintey-six in "Bodies"?
2. What does the military acronym SSTP represent?
3. What does the narrator urge Dyer to get at the cafeteria in "FRAGO"?
4. What was used as a torture weapon on the captives' ankles in "FRAGO"?
5. What does the acronym "MRAP" represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the narrator’s civilian life described when he returns home in “Redeployment”?
2. What do the military medals in “OIF” represent symbolically?
3. How does the theme of guilt apply to the narrator in “Money as a Weapons System”?
4. How does the narrator feel when turning in his rifle after deployment in “Redeployment”?
5. What symbolism is depicted in the story titled “FRAGO”? What does the narrator’s experience represent?
6. What was the narrator’s position in the military in “Bodies”? How did this position affect him?
7. What does the narrator do in the end of “Redeployment”? Why?
8. Who is the narrator of “After Action Report”? What is taking place when this story begins?
9. How does the narrator describe his trip to a local mall in “Redeployment”?
10. Who is the narrator of “Bodies”? How does this narrator describe his feelings about the war in the story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrator’s relationship with his father in “In Vietnam They Had Whores.” Why is the narrator’s father telling him war stories in the beginning of the story? How does the narrator respond to the stories?
Essay Topic 2
Why does the narrator of “OIF” make the decision to redeploy? What alternatives does he face? What does he hope to gain from his redeployment? How does this decision affect his life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme and representation of bureaucracy in “Money as a Weapons System.” Does the author present the bureaucratic processes of the military in a favorable light or an unfavorable one? Why? How does the narrator feel about the bureaucratic system?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)