|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the acronym NAM represent in "OIF"?
2. What does PFC refer to in "Redeployment"?
3. What word refers to language peculiar to a particular trade, profession, or group?
4. What does the military acronym SSTP represent?
5. Where is the memorial held for the Marine that was killed by the MRAP attack in "After Action Report"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolized by the baseball uniforms in “Money as a Weapons System”?
2. How are IEDs defined in “OIF”? How are daisy chains described?
3. How do the Marines enter the targeted house in “FRAGO”? What do they discover upon entering?
4. What does the narrator do in the end of “Redeployment”? Why?
5. Who is Rachel, and what role does she play in the story “Bodies”?
6. What do the military medals in “OIF” represent symbolically?
7. What decision does the narrator make at the end of “OIF”? Why?
8. Who is the narrator of “After Action Report”? What is taking place when this story begins?
9. How would you describe the language style of “OIF”? Why do you think the author employs this style?
10. Whose memorial is described in “After Action Report”? How is the memorial described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of guilt, validation, and grief in the stories from Redeployment. What characters relate to these themes? What statements do you think that the author is making in regards to guilt, validation, and grief through these narratives?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of dogs in “Redeployment.” How does the narrator describe the dogs during his deployment? How does he feel about killing the dogs? How does the narrator’s dog at come connect with the dogs in Iraq?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Jewett insistent that he didn’t kill anyone in “Ten Kliks South”? Why and how does he risk insubordination in the story? What responses does he receive from his sergeant? How does Jewett relate to the other characters in Redeployment?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)