|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By the end of deployment, how many men in Rodriguez's battalion have been injured in "Prayer in the Furnace"?
(a) Over 100.
(b) Under 20.
(c) About 50.
(d) About 30.
2. Where is the priest serving in the end of "Prayer in the Furnace"?
(a) Camp Scott.
(b) Camp Lejeune.
(c) Camp Dover.
(d) Camp Zima.
3. How many people is "platoon sized" estimated to be in "Ten Kliks South"?
4. When did Jenks join the Marine Corps?
(a) At the same time as Wilson.
(b) Six months after Wilson.
(c) A year after Wilson.
(d) A year before Wilson.
5. How far is Haditha from Baghdad?
(a) 150 miles.
(b) 240 miles.
(c) 122 miles.
(d) 25 miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the narrator's friends call him in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
2. How many surgeries did Jenks undergo during his recovery?
3. What word from "Psychological Operations" refers to a policy of extending a country's power and influence through diplomacy or military force?
4. How much money per year does the narrator's new job pay in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
5. Who tells the narrator about his experiences in the Vietnam War in "In Vietnam They Had Whores"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles does the priest face in “Prayer in the Furnace”?
2. How would you describe the narrative style of “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”? What takes place in the opening of the story?
3. What does Waguih relate to Zara regarding propaganda in “Psychological Operations”?
4. How is Jewett described in “Ten Kliks South”? What is Jewett’s central conflict?
5. What does Rodriguez symbolize in “Prayer in the Furnace”?
6. How are the prostitutes from the Vietnam War described in “In Vietnam They Had Whores”?
7. What is portrayed as an obstacle for Marines in obtaining mental help in “Prayer in the Furnace”?
8. What causes Jewett to risk insubordination in “Ten Kliks South”?
9. How would you describe the characters of Wilson and Jenks in “War Stories”?
10. What compels the Marines to create mathematical formulas in “Ten Kliks South”?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)