|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Kevin Boylan just returned from in the beginning of “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
2. How far is Haditha from Baghdad?
(a) 150 miles.
(b) 122 miles.
(c) 240 miles.
(d) 25 miles.
3. For whom did Boylan ask the narrator to write a citation after his death in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
(a) Corporal Weissert.
(b) Lance Corporal MacClelland.
(c) Sergeant Julian Deme.
(d) Sergeant Kurtz.
4. What is the nickname of the narrator's friend and fellow Marine in "In Vietnam They Had Whores"?
(b) Old Man.
(d) Baby Face.
5. What word from "Psychological Operations" refers to a policy of extending a country's power and influence through diplomacy or military force?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many have died in Rodriguez's battalion in the past four months in "Prayer in the Furnace"?
2. Approximately how many people does Sanchez estimate each man killed in "Ten Kliks South"?
3. What word from "War Stories" refers to fragmentation thrown out by an exploding bomb or shell?
4. In what religion was Waguih raised?
5. Where has the narrator completed law school in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Waguih describe the incident where he was responsible for another man’s death in “Psychological Operations”?
2. What does Waguih represent in “Psychological Operations”? What was Waguih’s role in the military?
3. What does the character of Zara represent in “Psychological Operations”?
4. How are the prostitutes from the Vietnam War described in “In Vietnam They Had Whores”?
5. How is Jewett described in “Ten Kliks South”? What is Jewett’s central conflict?
6. How does the theme of exploitation apply to Waguih in “Psychological Operations”?
7. How would you describe the characters of Wilson and Jenks in “War Stories”?
8. What does Waguih relate to Zara regarding propaganda in “Psychological Operations”?
9. What obstacles does the priest face in “Prayer in the Furnace”?
10. What symbolism and themes are related through the story “Ten Kliks South”?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)