|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Wilson and Jenks spend most of their time doing when deployed in Iraq?
(a) Cleaning bodies for Morturary Affairs.
(b) Building and repairing roads.
(c) Sending radio signals.
2. The priest's former mentor tells him in "Prayer in the Furnace" that it is natural for men to do what?
(a) Regret coming to war.
(b) Lose faith under the circumstances of war.
(c) Commit adultery.
(d) Want to kill.
3. How would you describe the narrative style of the stories in Redeployment?
(a) They are all related in first-person from different perspectives.
(b) They are all related from a third-person omniscient narrator.
(c) They are all related by the same first-person narrator.
(d) Half are related in first-person and half are related in third-person.
4. What is the nickname of the narrator's friend and fellow Marine in "In Vietnam They Had Whores"?
(a) Baby Face.
(d) Old Man.
5. Approximately how many people does Sanchez estimate each man killed in "Ten Kliks South"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rodriguez covered in during the beginning of "Prayer in the Furnace"?
2. What can the priest see in Rodriguez's face in the beginning of "Prayer in the Furnace"?
3. What role did Waguih play in PsyOps?
4. What medal has Boylan earned in “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”?
5. What term from "Ten Kliks South" refers to a cord used to fire an artillery piece or arm the fuze mechanism on an air-dropped bomb?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jewett to risk insubordination in “Ten Kliks South”?
2. How would you describe the narrative style of “Unless it’s a Sucking Chest Wound”? What takes place in the opening of the story?
3. How is Jewett described in “Ten Kliks South”? What is Jewett’s central conflict?
4. Whom does the priest reach out to for advice in “Prayer in the Furnace”? What advice does he receive?
5. What does Waguih represent in “Psychological Operations”? What was Waguih’s role in the military?
6. What obstacles does the priest face in “Prayer in the Furnace”?
7. What does the narrator realize during the memorial in “In Vietnam They Had Whores”?
8. How are the characters of Sarah and Jessie described in “War Stories”?
9. Describe the narrative style of “In Vietnam They Had Whores.” What is happening in the beginning of the story?
10. How does the narrator describe the statistics of Rodriguez’s battalion in “Prayer in the Furnace”?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)