|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Yegudkin and his wife leave Russia?
2. What does Jack's aunt say to him while he is standing in the doorway?
3. What does Mrs. Hawthorne do as she talks about Jack's horn playing?
4. What does Jack realize he is doing as he gets close to his father?
5. What is in the shallow drawer of Yegudkin's desk in his office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As he is working on the tractor after his brother's death, Jack sees the field he is plowing and sees "stones lay everywhere, yellowed in the sunlight, a field of misshapen skulls." Discuss this image.
Essay Topic 2
Jack and Dale both struggle with both the question of the existence of God and the existence of good and evil after David's death. Discuss both character's different approaches to the struggle with these two topics.
Essay Topic 3
Although this is a piece of fiction, Gardner did live on a farm and did run over his brother with a tractor when they were young. Does it help or hinder to know the basis of this story is part of the writer's experience?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)