|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jack speak when he talks to his father at his homecoming?
2. How does Jack react to his father's exposing his family's writings?
3. Who is on the sidewalk with Jack as he leaves his lesson to go home?
4. Where and when does Jack refuse to play his horn?
5. What does the person in the barn say to him while he is working with the cows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As he is working on the tractor after his brother's death, Jack sees the field he is plowing and sees "stones lay everywhere, yellowed in the sunlight, a field of misshapen skulls." Discuss this image.
Essay Topic 2
Of all the characters in the story, Betty Hawthorne has the most stability. Discuss her support system, and how her traditional role as a wife and mother help her cope with the death of her son.
Essay Topic 3
Jack's feelings for his father are complex. Discuss the array of emotions Jack has for his father at different times in the story, and support your discussion with examples.
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)