|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In their lesson after he has played the horn for Jack, what does Yegudkin not speak of that he normally does in Jack's lessons?
2. Who is on the sidewalk with Jack as he leaves his lesson to go home?
3. What happens when the Yegudkins are on their way to Siberia?
4. What question does Jack ask Yegudkin after hearing him play?
5. What does Mrs. Hawthorne do as she talks about Jack's horn playing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Three of the characters in this short story, Dale, Jack and Yegudkin, find redemption in their lives. What is each man's form of redemption? Compare and contrast them.
Essay Topic 2
Jack's mother says "that horn's his whole world." Is this indeed true? What else does Jack have in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Although this is a piece of fiction, Gardner did live on a farm and did run over his brother with a tractor when they were young. Does it help or hinder to know the basis of this story is part of the writer's experience?
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)