|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Now that his father is home, what does Jack tell himself at night when he is alone?
2. What is another thing Dale begins doing after being home for a month?
3. How does Jack speak when he talks to his father at his homecoming?
4. In their lesson after he has played the horn for Jack, what does Yegudkin not speak of that he normally does in Jack's lessons?
5. What does Yegudkin look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of all the characters in the story, Betty Hawthorne has the most stability. Discuss her support system, and how her traditional role as a wife and mother help her cope with the death of her son.
Essay Topic 2
Jack did not stop the tractor once it had begun dragging the cultipacker over his brother's body. In the second sentence the narrator explains Jack could have applied the brakes and saved his brother. What are some possible reasons Jack did not stop the tractor but stood and watched his brother die instead?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator, when talking about the stories Jack tells aloud based on his fantasies, states "the lie was too obvious, the manipulation of shame to buy love." What does he mean by this statement? How does it apply to Dale Hawthorne?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)