|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does his family think about Jack's means of coping with his emotions?
2. How does Yegudkin react to the question Jack asks him when Yegudkin has finished playing?
3. What makes Jack turn his head and look up while he is thinking and preparing the cows for milking in the barn?
4. What does Dale say to Jack as he is standing at the door?
5. With whom does Jack take his horn lessons?
Essay Topic 1
Jack and Dale both struggle with both the question of the existence of God and the existence of good and evil after David's death. Discuss both character's different approaches to the struggle with these two topics.
Essay Topic 2
Three of the characters in this short story, Dale, Jack and Yegudkin, find redemption in their lives. What is each man's form of redemption? Compare and contrast them.
Essay Topic 3
Jack did not stop the tractor once it had begun dragging the cultipacker over his brother's body. In the second sentence the narrator explains Jack could have applied the brakes and saved his brother. What are some possible reasons Jack did not stop the tractor but stood and watched his brother die instead?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)