|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yedugkin wear to work every day?
2. Where does Jack take his French horn lessons?
3. What happens when the Yegudkins are on their way to Siberia?
4. What poems does Jack's father recite in public now that he has returned home?
5. What is in the shallow drawer of Yegudkin's desk in his office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator, when talking about the stories Jack tells aloud based on his fantasies, states "the lie was too obvious, the manipulation of shame to buy love." What does he mean by this statement? How does it apply to Dale Hawthorne?
Essay Topic 2
When Jack asks Yegudkin, "You think I'll ever play like that?" Yegudkin laughs loudly and says, "Play like me?" What does Yegudkin mean by his reply, and how does it affect Jack?
Essay Topic 3
Of all the characters in the story, Betty Hawthorne has the most stability. Discuss her support system, and how her traditional role as a wife and mother help her cope with the death of her son.
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)