|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jack reaches the street after his lesson, what does he do?
2. Where do the Yegudkins go after leaving Russia?
3. What does his family think about Jack's means of coping with his emotions?
4. How old is Yegudkin when we meet him?
5. A few nights after his lunch with Phoebe, what does Jack notice when he comes into the kitchen after work one evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the various pieces of information and historical references, approximately when does this story take place? Justify your answer.
Essay Topic 2
As he is working on the tractor after his brother's death, Jack sees the field he is plowing and sees "stones lay everywhere, yellowed in the sunlight, a field of misshapen skulls." Discuss this image.
Essay Topic 3
Jack did not stop the tractor once it had begun dragging the cultipacker over his brother's body. In the second sentence the narrator explains Jack could have applied the brakes and saved his brother. What are some possible reasons Jack did not stop the tractor but stood and watched his brother die instead?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)