|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack think about while preparing the cow for the milking machine later in evening after his lunch with Phoebe?
2. How does Yegudkin react to the question Jack asks him when Yegudkin has finished playing?
3. What does Jack's mother say about his horn playing?
4. A few nights after his lunch with Phoebe, what does Jack notice when he comes into the kitchen after work one evening?
5. How does the graduate student react to his teacher's horn playing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On the farm, Jack has two primary responsibilities: tending to the cows in the mornings and working the fields. Compare and contrast these two jobs in relation to how Jack responds to each one.
Essay Topic 2
The narrator, when talking about the stories Jack tells aloud based on his fantasies, states "the lie was too obvious, the manipulation of shame to buy love." What does he mean by this statement? How does it apply to Dale Hawthorne?
Essay Topic 3
Who are Dale and Betty Hawthorne? What are they like before the accident and after? How does the death of their son affect them?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)