|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the Yegudkins are on their way to Siberia?
2. When Jack reaches the street after his lesson, what does he do?
3. After his return, what does Dale Hawthorne do while he recites in public?
4. Where and when does Jack refuse to play his horn?
5. To whom is Yegudkin giving the Alexander?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of all the characters in the story, Betty Hawthorne has the most stability. Discuss her support system, and how her traditional role as a wife and mother help her cope with the death of her son.
Essay Topic 2
Although this is a piece of fiction, Gardner did live on a farm and did run over his brother with a tractor when they were young. Does it help or hinder to know the basis of this story is part of the writer's experience?
Essay Topic 3
The narrator, when talking about the stories Jack tells aloud based on his fantasies, states "the lie was too obvious, the manipulation of shame to buy love." What does he mean by this statement? How does it apply to Dale Hawthorne?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)