|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the narrator describe the look in Yegudkin's eyes as he handles the Alexander?
2. What question does Jack ask Yegudkin after hearing him play?
3. What does his family think about Jack's means of coping with his emotions?
4. What musical instrument is in the living room?
5. What is in the shallow drawer of Yegudkin's desk in his office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack's mother says "that horn's his whole world." Is this indeed true? What else does Jack have in his life?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator, when talking about the stories Jack tells aloud based on his fantasies, states "the lie was too obvious, the manipulation of shame to buy love." What does he mean by this statement? How does it apply to Dale Hawthorne?
Essay Topic 3
Jack and Dale both struggle with both the question of the existence of God and the existence of good and evil after David's death. Discuss both character's different approaches to the struggle with these two topics.
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)