|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Angel feel about the camaraderie between the Altmans?
(a) She was amused by it.
(b) She was confused by it.
(c) She was terrified by it.
(d) She was captivated by it.
2. Who introduced Michael to the Lord?
(a) His great-grandmother.
(b) A minister named John.
(c) A slave named Ezra.
(d) His school teacher.
3. When Michael Hosea sees Angel for the first time, what does God tells him?
(a) "Those without sin may cast the first stone."
(b) "Take my yoke upon you."
(c) "For I know the plans I have for you..."
(d) "This one, beloved."
4. What is the name of the prostitute who is Sarah's only friend?
(b) Mai Ling.
5. Where was Michael's last stop before leaving Sacramento?
(a) A church.
(b) A brothel.
(c) A bar.
(d) A general store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Miriam Altman say about Paul in Chapter 20?
2. What made Angel feel guilty when she returned to the cabin?
3. Why did Angel say her father stopped loving her mother?
4. How did Michael get Angel out the Silver Dollar after she ran away from the Valley?
5. After one night with Duke, how is Sarah changed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Up to this point, Michael has only used the name Angel when he is extremely angry with her. In Chapter 18 what name does Angel use to refer to herself? What is the significance?
2. In Chapter 16 when Michael is bringing Angel back to the cabin, what emotions does Angel experience? What happens after they arrive home?
3. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
4. In Chapter 15, what is Michael's reaction to Angel's activities in Pair-a-Dice? What is Angel's response to this?
5. At the beginning of Chapter Six, Michael has been back in the valley only a short time since leaving Pair-a-Dice and Angel. What is he experiencing emotionally and/or mentally?
6. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
7. In Chapter 19 how does Angel's relationship with Michael begin to change?
8. When Michael takes Angel to Sacramento for the first time, how is Angel treated?
9. As the Altmans' visit continues in Chapter 20, Michael becomes concerned with Angel's growing attachment to them. How does Michael try to remedy this?
10. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)