|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Angel thinks that everyone she draws close to leaves, what does she say is deadly?
2. Why did Alex tell his lover Mae that he never wanted Sarah?
(a) He never believed he was Sarah's biological father.
(b) He had a legitimate family of his own.
(c) He only wanted sons to carry on his legacy.
(d) He did not want to be financially responsible for Sarah.
3. When Angel asks Michael, "What sort of name is Hosea?" what is his reply?
4. What happens when Alex no longer wants Mae and turns her and Sarah away?
(a) Mae becomes a housekeeper for a wealthy family.
(b) Mae becomes a mail order bride.
(c) Mae becomes a cook for a local restaurant.
(d) Mae becomes a prostitute in New York.
5. What happened when Angel came in from her ordeal in the rain?
(a) Michael yelled at her for being foolish.
(b) Angel tracked mud all over the cabin.
(c) Michael washed her hands and feet.
(d) Michael made fun of her predicament.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michael showed Angel compassion after she returned to the cabin, she asks why. What was his response?
2. Why is Sarah really sent to the coast with Cleo?
3. How did Angel feel about the camaraderie between the Altmans?
4. How does Angel feel about the Altmans doing chores?
5. When Angel woke from a nightmare and Michael asked her what it was about, what was her reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, Angel gets a glimpse of a talent other than prostitution that might help her to make a living. How did she discover it, what is it, and where does she put it to use?
2. In San Francisco, Duke gives Angel a choice. She can either go back to her old role as prostitute, or she can become the manager of the girls. Which does she choose and why?
3. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
4. What does Angel tell Michael about her past in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
5. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
6. By the end of Chapter 33, how has Angel's character evolved from the beginning of the book?
7. When Duke drags Angel away from the cafe and takes her to his home, what does Angel do that seems to put Duke on edge?
8. In Chapter 28 as Angel prepares to leave Michael for the fourth time, how are her motives completely different than in the past?
9. In Chapter 29 when Angel has gone to San Francisco, why does Michael refuse to go after her?
10. When Angel arrives in Pair-a-Dice in Chapter 15, what does she discover about the Palace and it's former employees?
This section contains 1,536 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)