|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the way back to the valley from Sacramento, why did Michael pull off the road?
(a) To fix the load which had shifted in the wagon.
(b) To have a picnic with his companion.
(c) To stretch out the trip home and delay his arrival.
(d) To help a family whose wagon was broken down.
2. When Paul asks Michael the name of his new bride, what name does Michael give him?
3. Why did Angel scrub her skin raw in the stream?
(a) To clean off the filth of her betrayal.
(b) To assure herself she was capable of feeling.
(c) To rid her skin of lice from Pair-a-Dice.
(d) To exfoliate, revealing more youthful skin.
4. What did Miriam Altman say about Paul in Chapter 20?
(a) He's as beautiful as an angel with a halo to match.
(b) He's as hateful as the devil and just as handsome.
(c) He's sweet as honey with fire in his eyes.
(d) He's handsome with dark, brooding eyes.
5. How did Angel get revenge on Michael for her stained hands?
(a) By refusing to do chores.
(b) By breaking the window.
(c) By ruining his dinner.
(d) By not talking to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Angel think was the great original sin?
2. What did Angel do when she wanted to leave and Michael asked if they could talk it over?
3. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
4. Why did Angel say her father stopped loving her mother?
5. What did Paul want Michael to do about his marriage to Angel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, what is Michael's reaction to Angel's activities in Pair-a-Dice? What is Angel's response to this?
2. In Chapter 16 when Michael is bringing Angel back to the cabin, what emotions does Angel experience? What happens after they arrive home?
3. In Chapter Twelve, Michael cannot explain to Angel what he wants from her emotionally, and what he wishes their physical relationship would be like. Since he can't tell her, what does he do to show her?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Angel runs away the morning after she and Michael share the most intimate evening of her life. What is Michael's response to her planned departure, and what choice does he ask her to make?
5. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
6. How does Angels interactions with the Altmans evolve in Chapter 19?
7. Chapter Nine further develops and explores Angel's insecurities. What is she insecure about?
8. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
9. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
10. When Michael takes Angel to Sacramento for the first time, how is Angel treated?
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)