|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Sarah really sent to the coast with Cleo?
(a) So that Sarah's father could visit her mother alone.
(b) So that Sarah could see the ocean for the first time.
(c) So that Cleo would have company on her journey.
(d) So that Sarah could visit her extended family.
2. How did Angel pay Paul for the ride to Pair-a-Dice?
(a) She promised him money from the Duchess.
(b) She gave him sex.
(c) She gave him a kiss.
(d) She made him a home-cooked meal.
3. What happens when Alex no longer wants Mae and turns her and Sarah away?
(a) Mae becomes a prostitute in New York.
(b) Mae becomes a cook for a local restaurant.
(c) Mae becomes a mail order bride.
(d) Mae becomes a housekeeper for a wealthy family.
4. How did Angel feel when she walked in the cabin after returning from Pair-a-Dice?
(a) "It hasn't changed a bit."
(b) "I'm home."
(c) "I can do better."
(d) "Not this dump again."
5. When Angel returns to Pair-a-Dice, what happens to The Palace?
(a) It is under construction.
(b) It has a new owner.
(c) It burns down.
(d) It has a booming business.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michael and Angel are married, what does she say instead of "yes"?
2. Where was Michael's last stop before leaving Sacramento?
3. When Michael stops thinking of Angel as the prostitute he loved and who betrayed him, how does her see her?
4. What does Michael tell the Joseph Hochschild he's going to do with his gold?
5. What feature in the cabin did Angel compare her life to?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
2. When Michael takes Angel to Sacramento for the first time, how is Angel treated?
3. In Chapter Twelve, Michael cannot explain to Angel what he wants from her emotionally, and what he wishes their physical relationship would be like. Since he can't tell her, what does he do to show her?
4. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
5. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
6. As the Altmans' visit continues in Chapter 20, Michael becomes concerned with Angel's growing attachment to them. How does Michael try to remedy this?
7. When Michael leaves Angel at the brothel, Angel doesn't believe that he will ever return. At this point in the book, how does Angel feel about life in general?
8. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
9. At the beginning of Chapter Six, Michael has been back in the valley only a short time since leaving Pair-a-Dice and Angel. What is he experiencing emotionally and/or mentally?
10. In Chapter Three, Angel's memory tells a tale of her first perilous encounter with Magowan. What happened?
This section contains 1,464 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)