|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Angel thinks that everyone she draws close to leaves, what does she say is deadly?
2. By the beginning of the fourth chapter, how many times has Angel had said "no" to Michael's marriage proposal?
(a) Three times.
(b) Five times.
(c) Two times.
3. When Mae dies, what does Rab do to try to help Sarah?
(a) He takes Sarah to a man he believes wants to adopt her.
(b) He asks a trusted friend to take Sarah in as a daughter.
(c) He sells his possessions to provide for Sarah's education.
(d) He does his best to be a wonderful father to Sarah.
4. What did Angel do for a job when she returned to Pair-a-Dice?
(a) She became the boss of The Palace.
(b) She became a prostitute in the Silver Dollar.
(c) She became a cook at a local restaurant.
(d) She became a clerk at the general store.
5. Why did Angel tell Michael she was staying at the brothel?
(a) She has nowhere to go.
(b) She feels like it's home.
(c) She likes it.
(d) She needs the money.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Paul asks Michael the name of his new bride, what name does Michael give him?
2. What does Michael tell the Joseph Hochschild he's going to do with his gold?
3. What happened to Lucky and Mai Ling, Angel's co-workers, after Angel left Pair-a-Dice?
4. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
5. In Chapter 19, whose rules does Angel say she wants to live by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Angel tell Michael about her past in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
2. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
3. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
4. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
5. When Michael leaves Angel at the brothel, Angel doesn't believe that he will ever return. At this point in the book, how does Angel feel about life in general?
6. In Chapter 15, what is Michael's reaction to Angel's activities in Pair-a-Dice? What is Angel's response to this?
7. Readers find in Chapter Four that Michael has made numerous visits to Angel's room in attempt to make her his bride. She repeatedly refuses. How do Angel's coworkers feel about this? What is Angel's reaction?
8. Chapter Nine further develops and explores Angel's insecurities. What is she insecure about?
9. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
10. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
This section contains 1,563 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)