|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Michael went to Sacramento, who did he take with him?
(a) A stranger.
(d) The Duchess.
2. When Angel says she's a door a thousand men have walked through, what does Michael say she is?
(a) A window with pretty curtains, open for all to see.
(b) A frozen lake, waiting for a spring thaw.
(c) A stone wall, four feet thick and a hundred feet high.
(d) A locked trunk, full of dark secrets.
3. What did Angel do for a job when she returned to Pair-a-Dice?
(a) She became a clerk at the general store.
(b) She became the boss of The Palace.
(c) She became a prostitute in the Silver Dollar.
(d) She became a cook at a local restaurant.
4. Why did Angel want her gold from the Duchess?
(a) She wanted to buy a little house of her own.
(b) She wanted to invest it in a piece of jewelry.
(c) She wanted to hide it in a safe place.
(d) She wanted to open her very own brothel.
5. When they were walking at night and Angel wanted to return to the cabin, Michael asked her what she was afraid of. What did she say it was?
(a) The wild animals.
(b) His all-seeing God.
(c) The dark.
(d) His presence.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Michael Hosea sees Angel for the first time, what does God tells him?
2. When Michael brought Angel back home from Pair-a-Dice, he left her alone in the cabin. Angel eventually went looking for Michael; where did she find him?
3. When Michael and Angel are married, what does she say instead of "yes"?
4. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
5. How did Michael get Angel out the Silver Dollar after she ran away from the Valley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the difference in how Michael sees Angel and how Paul sees her.
2. Up to this point, Michael has only used the name Angel when he is extremely angry with her. In Chapter 18 what name does Angel use to refer to herself? What is the significance?
3. In Chapter 16 when Michael is bringing Angel back to the cabin, what emotions does Angel experience? What happens after they arrive home?
4. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
5. When Angel arrives in Pair-a-Dice in Chapter 15, what does she discover about the Palace and it's former employees?
6. Readers find in Chapter Four that Michael has made numerous visits to Angel's room in attempt to make her his bride. She repeatedly refuses. How do Angel's coworkers feel about this? What is Angel's reaction?
7. In Chapter 19 how does Angel's relationship with Michael begin to change?
8. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
9. What does Angel tell Michael about her past in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
10. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
This section contains 1,449 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)