|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On the way back to the valley from Sacramento, why did Michael pull off the road?
(a) To help a family whose wagon was broken down.
(b) To stretch out the trip home and delay his arrival.
(c) To have a picnic with his companion.
(d) To fix the load which had shifted in the wagon.
2. What two subjects was Lucky never allowed to talk about with Angel?
(a) Men and God.
(b) Sex and Love.
(c) Marriage and Children.
(d) Politics and Religion.
3. Where was Paul before he came back to the valley?
(a) In Pair-a-Dice working at a bar.
(b) On a fishing expedition in Alaska.
(c) On the Yuba, panning for gold.
(d) In the mountains, looking for God.
4. Why is Sarah really sent to the coast with Cleo?
(a) So that Sarah could visit her extended family.
(b) So that Cleo would have company on her journey.
(c) So that Sarah could see the ocean for the first time.
(d) So that Sarah's father could visit her mother alone.
5. Where was Michael's last stop before leaving Sacramento?
(a) A general store.
(b) A brothel.
(c) A church.
(d) A bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Paul asks Michael the name of his new bride, what name does Michael give him?
2. What members of the Altman family died on their way to Oregon?
3. How did Angel try to make up her betrayal to Michael?
4. When Michael showed Angel compassion after she returned to the cabin, she asks why. What was his response?
5. What does Michael tell Angel to listen to in order to help her rest at his cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
2. In the prologue, Sarah meets her father, Alex Stafford, for the first time. What was his reaction to the introduction, and why did he react that way?
3. In Chapter 19 how does Angel's relationship with Michael begin to change?
4. In Chapter Twelve, Michael cannot explain to Angel what he wants from her emotionally, and what he wishes their physical relationship would be like. Since he can't tell her, what does he do to show her?
5. In Chapter Three, Angel's memory tells a tale of her first perilous encounter with Magowan. What happened?
6. Up to this point, Michael has only used the name Angel when he is extremely angry with her. In Chapter 18 what name does Angel use to refer to herself? What is the significance?
7. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
8. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
9. In Chapter Eleven, Angel has a nightmare. What is it about, and how does Michael try to comfort her?
10. At the beginning of Chapter Six, Michael has been back in the valley only a short time since leaving Pair-a-Dice and Angel. What is he experiencing emotionally and/or mentally?
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)