|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Michael tells Angel that he knew the first time he saw her that he was going to marry her, what feature did Michael say he saw first?
(a) Her voluptuous curves.
(b) Her young, stone-cold face.
(c) Her blonde, cornsilk hair.
(d) Her small, petite frame.
2. What does Michael tell the Joseph Hochschild he's going to do with his gold?
(a) Buy a house in town.
(b) Use it to court Angel.
(c) Use it to invest in more land.
(d) Buy a couple head of cattle.
3. When Michael told Angel the biblical story of Hosea's wife, what did Angel think was NOT the cause of her returning to prostitution?
(a) Hosea's wife just wanted to be left alone.
(b) Hosea didn't give her enough money to buy what she wanted.
(c) Hosea had driven his wife half crazy like Michael had done to Angel.
(d) Hosea's wife had a Duchess of her own that owed her money.
4. When Angel tells Michael to call her whatever he wants, what does he name her?
(a) Blythe, meaning joyous.
(b) Sarah, meaning princess.
(c) Mara, meaning bitter.
(d) Tristyn, meaning sad.
5. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
(a) They keep you warm at night.
(b) They are a faithful and true companion.
(c) They always know when a storm is coming.
(d) They can always pick a tenderhearted person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Angel think was the great original sin?
2. Why did Angel tell Michael she was staying at the brothel?
3. When Angel returns to Pair-a-Dice, what happens to The Palace?
4. When Michael brought Angel back home from Pair-a-Dice, he left her alone in the cabin. Angel eventually went looking for Michael; where did she find him?
5. Who did Michael tell Angel used to call him names?
Short Essay Questions
1. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
2. In Chapter Three, Angel's memory tells a tale of her first perilous encounter with Magowan. What happened?
3. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
4. At the beginning of Chapter Six, Michael has been back in the valley only a short time since leaving Pair-a-Dice and Angel. What is he experiencing emotionally and/or mentally?
5. As the Altmans' visit continues in Chapter 20, Michael becomes concerned with Angel's growing attachment to them. How does Michael try to remedy this?
6. When Michael leaves Angel at the brothel, Angel doesn't believe that he will ever return. At this point in the book, how does Angel feel about life in general?
7. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
8. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
9. When Angel arrives in Pair-a-Dice in Chapter 15, what does she discover about the Palace and it's former employees?
10. Chapter Nine further develops and explores Angel's insecurities. What is she insecure about?
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)