|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Michael was telling Angel his plans for the land and the cabin, Angel said that he had enough work planned to last a long while. What was his reply?
(a) "We will do it together."
(b) "It will keep us busy for a while."
(c) "It'll take us a lifetime."
(d) "It won't take too long."
2. How did Angel try to make up her betrayal to Michael?
(a) With a gift.
(b) With a kiss.
(c) By going to church.
(d) By labor.
3. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
(a) In order to visit with the neighbors.
(b) Because he's afraid to be alone with her.
(c) To give her time to think.
(d) So that she will do chores.
4. When Michael showed Angel compassion after she returned to the cabin, she asks why. What was his response?
(a) "Because you would do the same for me if I was in your shoes."
(b) "Because I have walked a mile in your shoes."
(c) "Because God told me to care for you and to nurture you."
(d) "Because for some of us, one mile can be farther to walk than thirty."
5. After one night with Duke, how is Sarah changed?
(a) She feels that she can finally be a part of a family.
(b) She believes everything she's ever heard about the cruelty of men.
(c) She is confident that he can teach her to survive without her mom.
(d) She knows that she has found a man who'll love her forever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Angel tell the Altmans to try and keep them from wintering with the Hoseas?
2. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
3. Why did Angel say her father stopped loving her mother?
4. Who introduced Michael to the Lord?
5. When Michael told Angel the biblical story of Hosea's wife, what did Angel think was NOT the cause of her returning to prostitution?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the difference in how Michael sees Angel and how Paul sees her.
2. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
3. In Chapter Twelve, Michael cannot explain to Angel what he wants from her emotionally, and what he wishes their physical relationship would be like. Since he can't tell her, what does he do to show her?
4. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
5. In Chapter 17 Angel is unable to accept Michael's forgiveness, so how does she try to atone for her sins?
6. How does Angels interactions with the Altmans evolve in Chapter 19?
7. In Chapter 16 when Michael is bringing Angel back to the cabin, what emotions does Angel experience? What happens after they arrive home?
8. When Michael leaves Angel at the brothel, Angel doesn't believe that he will ever return. At this point in the book, how does Angel feel about life in general?
9. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
10. At the beginning of Chapter Six, Michael has been back in the valley only a short time since leaving Pair-a-Dice and Angel. What is he experiencing emotionally and/or mentally?
This section contains 1,516 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)