|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When they were on their walk through the land at night, what was it that Michael wanted to show Angel?
(a) The sunrise.
(b) The stream.
(c) The view of the cabin below.
(d) The family of deer.
2. What does Michael tell Angel to listen to in order to help her rest at his cabin?
(a) Him reading out of the Bible.
(b) A mocking bird outside the window.
(c) The crackling of the fire.
(d) The babbling brook nearby.
3. How did Angel try to make up her betrayal to Michael?
(a) With a gift.
(b) With a kiss.
(c) By labor.
(d) By going to church.
4. On the way back to the valley from Sacramento, why did Michael pull off the road?
(a) To stretch out the trip home and delay his arrival.
(b) To have a picnic with his companion.
(c) To fix the load which had shifted in the wagon.
(d) To help a family whose wagon was broken down.
5. Where was Paul before he came back to the valley?
(a) In the mountains, looking for God.
(b) On the Yuba, panning for gold.
(c) On a fishing expedition in Alaska.
(d) In Pair-a-Dice working at a bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Angel scrub her skin raw in the stream?
2. When Mae dies, what does Rab do to try to help Sarah?
3. Why did Alex tell his lover Mae that he never wanted Sarah?
4. What did Angel believe would ease the heaviness inside of her?
5. What did Angel think was the great original sin?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Eleven, Angel has a nightmare. What is it about, and how does Michael try to comfort her?
2. In Chapter 14 what is Paul's initial reaction to the news that Michael has a wife? What is his reaction to Angel?
3. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
4. In Chapter 18 when Angel first begins to spend time with the Altman family, what does she think of them?
5. In the prologue, Sarah meets her father, Alex Stafford, for the first time. What was his reaction to the introduction, and why did he react that way?
6. When Angel arrives in Pair-a-Dice in Chapter 15, what does she discover about the Palace and it's former employees?
7. How does Angels interactions with the Altmans evolve in Chapter 19?
8. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
9. In Chapter 15, what is Michael's reaction to Angel's activities in Pair-a-Dice? What is Angel's response to this?
10. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Angel runs away the morning after she and Michael share the most intimate evening of her life. What is Michael's response to her planned departure, and what choice does he ask her to make?
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)