|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Angel scrub her skin raw in the stream?
(a) To assure herself she was capable of feeling.
(b) To clean off the filth of her betrayal.
(c) To exfoliate, revealing more youthful skin.
(d) To rid her skin of lice from Pair-a-Dice.
2. How did Angel feel about the camaraderie between the Altmans?
(a) She was terrified by it.
(b) She was confused by it.
(c) She was captivated by it.
(d) She was amused by it.
3. Who introduced Michael to the Lord?
(a) A minister named John.
(b) His school teacher.
(c) A slave named Ezra.
(d) His great-grandmother.
4. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
(a) In order to visit with the neighbors.
(b) So that she will do chores.
(c) Because he's afraid to be alone with her.
(d) To give her time to think.
5. Why wasn't Paul happy for Michael when he heard of Michael's marriage?
(a) He wanted to be the first to marry.
(b) He was jealous.
(c) He thought that Michael was lying.
(d) He thought Michael should be a priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Angel do for a job when she returned to Pair-a-Dice?
2. When Michael showed Angel compassion after she returned to the cabin, she asks why. What was his response?
3. When Paul asks Michael the name of his new bride, what name does Michael give him?
4. When Michael told Angel the biblical story of Hosea's wife, what did Angel think was NOT the cause of her returning to prostitution?
5. What does Jacob Altman say that he would trade for a spoonful of plum jam?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 15, what is Michael's reaction to Angel's activities in Pair-a-Dice? What is Angel's response to this?
2. When Angel arrives in Pair-a-Dice in Chapter 15, what does she discover about the Palace and it's former employees?
3. When Angel wakes up in Michael's cabin, she asks him why he came back to Pair-a-Dice. What was his response and her reaction to it?
4. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
5. How does Angels interactions with the Altmans evolve in Chapter 19?
6. As the Altmans' visit continues in Chapter 20, Michael becomes concerned with Angel's growing attachment to them. How does Michael try to remedy this?
7. Up to this point, Michael has only used the name Angel when he is extremely angry with her. In Chapter 18 what name does Angel use to refer to herself? What is the significance?
8. At the beginning of Chapter 13, Angel runs away the morning after she and Michael share the most intimate evening of her life. What is Michael's response to her planned departure, and what choice does he ask her to make?
9. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
10. At the beginning of Chapter Six, Michael has been back in the valley only a short time since leaving Pair-a-Dice and Angel. What is he experiencing emotionally and/or mentally?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)