|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miriam Altman say about dogs and children?
(a) They are a faithful and true companion.
(b) They keep you warm at night.
(c) They can always pick a tenderhearted person.
(d) They always know when a storm is coming.
2. When Angel tells Michael, "You and God better not expect much," he replies ...
(a) "God will supply all my needs."
(b) "I don't want anything."
(c) "Time waits for no man."
(d) "I want everything."
3. When Paul sees Angel, he thinks she's beautiful and dangerous. What biblical character does he not compare her to?
4. Who introduced Michael to the Lord?
(a) His great-grandmother.
(b) A minister named John.
(c) A slave named Ezra.
(d) His school teacher.
5. When Michael tells Angel that he knew the first time he saw her that he was going to marry her, what feature did Michael say he saw first?
(a) Her blonde, cornsilk hair.
(b) Her small, petite frame.
(c) Her voluptuous curves.
(d) Her young, stone-cold face.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way back to the valley from Sacramento, why did Michael pull off the road?
2. What happened to Lucky and Mai Ling, Angel's co-workers, after Angel left Pair-a-Dice?
3. What does Angel compare herself to when talking to Miriam Altman?
4. How did Angel pay Paul for the ride to Pair-a-Dice?
5. When Paul asks Michael the name of his new bride, what name does Michael give him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
2. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
3. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
4. When Angel arrives in Pair-a-Dice in Chapter 15, what does she discover about the Palace and it's former employees?
5. Chapter Nine further develops and explores Angel's insecurities. What is she insecure about?
6. When Michael takes Angel to Sacramento for the first time, how is Angel treated?
7. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
8. In the prologue, Sarah meets her father, Alex Stafford, for the first time. What was his reaction to the introduction, and why did he react that way?
9. In Chapter 19 how does Angel's relationship with Michael begin to change?
10. Explain the difference in how Michael sees Angel and how Paul sees her.
This section contains 1,398 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)