|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Angel want her gold from the Duchess?
(a) She wanted to buy a little house of her own.
(b) She wanted to open her very own brothel.
(c) She wanted to invest it in a piece of jewelry.
(d) She wanted to hide it in a safe place.
2. Why does Michael call Angel by a new name, Amanda?
(a) He wanted to name her after his mother.
(b) She asked him to call her that.
(c) He thought it sounded gentle and loving.
(d) He was tired of calling her Mara.
3. Where was Michael's last stop before leaving Sacramento?
(a) A general store.
(b) A brothel.
(c) A bar.
(d) A church.
4. When Michael was telling Angel his plans for the land and the cabin, Angel said that he had enough work planned to last a long while. What was his reply?
(a) "We will do it together."
(b) "It won't take too long."
(c) "It'll take us a lifetime."
(d) "It will keep us busy for a while."
5. Why does Michael leave Angel alone in the cabin?
(a) In order to visit with the neighbors.
(b) To give her time to think.
(c) Because he's afraid to be alone with her.
(d) So that she will do chores.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Michael ask Angel to pick up walnuts?
2. Why is Sarah really sent to the coast with Cleo?
3. What does Angel compare herself to when talking to Miriam Altman?
4. In Chapter 19, whose rules does Angel say she wants to live by?
5. How did Angel feel about the camaraderie between the Altmans?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foreshadowing takes place in Chapter 13?
2. Chapter Eight finds Angel slowly recovering physically under the quiet care of Michael Hosea. How is she doing emotionally? Why?
3. When Michael leaves Angel at the brothel, Angel doesn't believe that he will ever return. At this point in the book, how does Angel feel about life in general?
4. In the prologue, Sarah meets her father, Alex Stafford, for the first time. What was his reaction to the introduction, and why did he react that way?
5. In this first chapter of the book, readers meet the adult version of the pretty, innocent little girl of the prologue. What type of woman has Sarah, now known exclusively as Angel, become?
6. Concerning the relationship between Angel and Michael, what foreshadowing appears in Chapter Ten?
7. In Chapter Two, why does Michael Hosea believe he is going to marry Angel? What initially attracts him to her? Does he have any reservations about his future wife?
8. What does Angel tell Michael about her past in Chapter 16? Why is this significant?
9. When the Altmans move into their own cabin, Michael thinks that Angel will be relieved that they are so close. Instead, what it Angel's reaction and why?
10. How does Angels interactions with the Altmans evolve in Chapter 19?
This section contains 1,667 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)