|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Henry and his friend overhear on the road?
2. How does most of the regiment react to the news of their charge against the enemy?
3. Why do some of the men move back frantically?
4. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
5. After Henry plants the flag in the ground, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
2. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
3. How was Henry's reception back in the unit better than what he had hoped for?
4. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
5. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
6. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
7. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
8. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
9. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
10. During the next wave of battle, describe Henry's actions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a story about some time in your life when you were very afraid. Use as much imagery as you can to make the reader feel the terror that went through you at the time. Include in your story what the fear prompted you to do or if it immobilized you.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the loneliness of being away from home. The essay should include the psychological effects of being in unfamiliar surroundings, and how some people handle such separation better than others. Include, also, the challenges of different customs and physical surroundings in a strange place.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the effects on the people soldiers leave behind when they go off to war. Begin with Henry's mother and the dark-haired girl. Then include more modern examples of this kind of separation.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)