|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a Major volunteer Henry's regiment to do?
2. How does Henry explain his absence from the regiment.
3. What does Wilson help Henry do?
4. As the Rebels bear down on them, how does Henry feel?
5. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
2. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
3. How does Henry find extra strength and courage during the charge?
4. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
5. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
6. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
7. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
8. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
9. During the next wave of battle, describe Henry's actions.
10. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about living with regrets. Using Henry's regret that he was so unfeeling toward the tattered man he allowed to wander off and die alone, enlarge your essay about how everyone has some regret to live with. Discuss how to deal with regrets as Henry did, considering them a kind of learning experience.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE. In your critique mention Crane's use of literary devices, his ability as a story teller, whether the novel held your interest to keep on reading, and whether you would recommend it to other readers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the loneliness of being away from home. The essay should include the psychological effects of being in unfamiliar surroundings, and how some people handle such separation better than others. Include, also, the challenges of different customs and physical surroundings in a strange place.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)