|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry explain his absence from the regiment.
2. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
3. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
4. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
5. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about symbols that move people emotionally or cause them to act honorably. In your essay discuss symbols that particularly move you. Describe how such symbols cause reactions in people to whom they have special meaning.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay with the thesis that no one should be forced to go to war. n addition to soldiers who daily witness the carnage and destruction, include the civilians who are faced with trying to cope with the devastation of their land and their lives.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the difficulty of keeping guilty secrets. Using Henry's second encounter with the tattered man, write about how hard it is to keep secrets when there are countless unanswered questions. Include why people often try to hide the truth and why it usually comes to the surface eventually anyway.
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)