|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does his friend do to try and help Henry?
2. What conversation do the men have about the officer who called them mule drivers?
3. How does Henry explain his absence from the regiment.
4. As the Rebels bear down on them, how does Henry feel?
5. As Henry is observing the battle, what happens suddenly to frighten him?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about growing into maturity. Usually it is a gradual process, unlike the two day transformation of Henry. In your essay include circumstances besides war that might cause a young person to mature quickly. [e.g., parents dying in a car accident leaving an older child to care for the younger ones]
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the loneliness of being away from home. The essay should include the psychological effects of being in unfamiliar surroundings, and how some people handle such separation better than others. Include, also, the challenges of different customs and physical surroundings in a strange place.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about a student trying to rationalize away his or her not having done assigned homework. In the essay give examples of several excuses the student might make. Then point out why teachers seldom fall for such rationalizations.
This section contains 1,246 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)