|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the men of the regiment fight like wild animals, what happens suddenly?
2. What does Henry surmise as the men swarm toward where he is?
3. What happens as the smoke begins to clear?
4. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
5. How close is the enemy at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the difficulty of keeping guilty secrets. Using Henry's second encounter with the tattered man, write about how hard it is to keep secrets when there are countless unanswered questions. Include why people often try to hide the truth and why it usually comes to the surface eventually anyway.
Essay Topic 2
Write a story about some time in your life when you were very afraid. Use as much imagery as you can to make the reader feel the terror that went through you at the time. Include in your story what the fear prompted you to do or if it immobilized you.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about finding the good that comes out of bad situations. Explain how the Civil War, one of the darkest hours in our history, resulted in a strong unified Republic. In your essay explain what might have happened if the South had succeeded in seceding from the Union.
This section contains 1,203 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)