|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once in position, what does Henry see?
2. What does the lieutenant order the complaining men to do?
3. After Henry plants the flag in the ground, what happens?
4. What starts the battle in the forest?
5. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
2. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
3. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
4. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
5. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
6. How was Henry's reception back in the unit better than what he had hoped for?
7. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
8. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
9. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
10. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about finding the good that comes out of bad situations. Explain how the Civil War, one of the darkest hours in our history, resulted in a strong unified Republic. In your essay explain what might have happened if the South had succeeded in seceding from the Union.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about advertisements for young men and women to join the military. Give your opinion on that as a recruitment process. Include how the attractiveness of the advertisement does not include the realities of being ordered into a war zone.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the idealism of youth. Discuss how the lack of experience over-simplifies and makes difficult life situations seem unimportant. In the essay, include how typically young people have a sense of immortality that causes them to take risks an older person would not attempt. Give examples to back up your points.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)