|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens that begins to wear on the men's nerves?
2. What is Henry's first impression as he wakes the next morning after returning to his regiment?
3. After the charge, how do the men know they are safe?
4. As Henry is observing the battle, what happens suddenly to frighten him?
5. What begins happening all around Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
2. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
3. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
4. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
5. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
6. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
7. How is Henry saved from having to tell a made-up story about his wound and separation from the group?
8. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
9. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
10. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the difficulty of keeping guilty secrets. Using Henry's second encounter with the tattered man, write about how hard it is to keep secrets when there are countless unanswered questions. Include why people often try to hide the truth and why it usually comes to the surface eventually anyway.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the effects of rumor. In your paper, include how rumors get started and why they are most often wrong. Also mention how difficult it is to deny rumor when the majority of people around firmly believe the rumor is true. Explain when rumor can become dangerous.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of the red badge of courage to the theme of Stephen Crane's novel. Evaluate the title as to it effectiveness in arousing a reader to select the book. Also discuss how this badge differs from what is usually thought of as a badge of honor.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)