|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a Major volunteer Henry's regiment to do?
2. As Henry is observing the battle, what happens suddenly to frighten him?
3. What are the men doing in the forest as Henry nears his regiment?
4. As the Rebels bear down on them, how does Henry feel?
5. How does Henry feel about the enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
2. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
3. During the next wave of battle, describe Henry's actions.
4. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
5. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
6. What does this battle prove about the regiment?
7. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
8. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
9. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
10. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about advertisements for young men and women to join the military. Give your opinion on that as a recruitment process. Include how the attractiveness of the advertisement does not include the realities of being ordered into a war zone.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of the red badge of courage to the theme of Stephen Crane's novel. Evaluate the title as to it effectiveness in arousing a reader to select the book. Also discuss how this badge differs from what is usually thought of as a badge of honor.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the responsibility of command. Use the officer who berated the lieutenant within earshot of the troops as an example of bad command. Your essay can discuss teachers who have influenced you positively or negatively by how they used their authority. Or, include any person of authority who has had a similar impact on you like a boss or relative.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)