|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry feel about the enemy?
2. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
3. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
4. What is Henry advised to avoid putting pressure on his head wound?
5. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the idealism of youth. Discuss how the lack of experience over-simplifies and makes difficult life situations seem unimportant. In the essay, include how typically young people have a sense of immortality that causes them to take risks an older person would not attempt. Give examples to back up your points.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about growing into maturity. Usually it is a gradual process, unlike the two day transformation of Henry. In your essay include circumstances besides war that might cause a young person to mature quickly. [e.g., parents dying in a car accident leaving an older child to care for the younger ones]
Essay Topic 3
Write a story about some time in your life when you were very afraid. Use as much imagery as you can to make the reader feel the terror that went through you at the time. Include in your story what the fear prompted you to do or if it immobilized you.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)