|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
2. What does the regiment know of the military machinery behind their orders to charge the Rebels?
3. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
4. What surprises Henry about his head wound?
5. What happens as the smoke begins to clear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
2. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
3. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
4. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
5. What does this battle prove about the regiment?
6. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
7. During the next wave of battle, describe Henry's actions.
8. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
9. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
10. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about living with regrets. Using Henry's regret that he was so unfeeling toward the tattered man he allowed to wander off and die alone, enlarge your essay about how everyone has some regret to live with. Discuss how to deal with regrets as Henry did, considering them a kind of learning experience.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the loneliness of being away from home. The essay should include the psychological effects of being in unfamiliar surroundings, and how some people handle such separation better than others. Include, also, the challenges of different customs and physical surroundings in a strange place.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the difficulty of keeping guilty secrets. Using Henry's second encounter with the tattered man, write about how hard it is to keep secrets when there are countless unanswered questions. Include why people often try to hide the truth and why it usually comes to the surface eventually anyway.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)