|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
2. What does Wilson help Henry do?
3. What angers Henry this time as the battle begins?
4. How does Henry explain his absence from the regiment.
5. What is Henry's first impression as he wakes the next morning after returning to his regiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell what Henry and his friend overheard on the way back from the fruitless search for water.
2. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
3. During the next wave of battle, describe Henry's actions.
4. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
5. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
6. How has Wilson changed since the first days of military camp?
7. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
8. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
9. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
10. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about comfort in numbers. Beginning with Henry's seeing a large number of men and wagons leaving the battlefield and how he was comforted by the thought that he was not the only one to desert the battle, write your essay about how people seek comfort in numbers. Explain that, as in Henry's case, the numbers may not be what one thinks they are.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE. In your critique mention Crane's use of literary devices, his ability as a story teller, whether the novel held your interest to keep on reading, and whether you would recommend it to other readers.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about advertisements for young men and women to join the military. Give your opinion on that as a recruitment process. Include how the attractiveness of the advertisement does not include the realities of being ordered into a war zone.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)