|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men at the front of the unit do when they halt in some trees?
2. What does Henry imagine himself doing sometime in the future?
3. After Henry's performance in the battle where he had to be called back to the line, how is Henry perceived by his peers?
4. Who does Henry conclude would never rage at nature?
5. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
2. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
3. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
4. How does Henry find extra strength and courage during the charge?
5. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
6. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
7. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
8. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
9. How is Henry saved from having to tell a made-up story about his wound and separation from the group?
10. During the next wave of battle, describe Henry's actions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay with the thesis that no one should be forced to go to war. n addition to soldiers who daily witness the carnage and destruction, include the civilians who are faced with trying to cope with the devastation of their land and their lives.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the difficulty of keeping guilty secrets. Using Henry's second encounter with the tattered man, write about how hard it is to keep secrets when there are countless unanswered questions. Include why people often try to hide the truth and why it usually comes to the surface eventually anyway.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about growing into maturity. Usually it is a gradual process, unlike the two day transformation of Henry. In your essay include circumstances besides war that might cause a young person to mature quickly. [e.g., parents dying in a car accident leaving an older child to care for the younger ones]
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)