|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
2. Who does Henry hope to impress one day?
3. What are the men doing in the forest as Henry nears his regiment?
4. After the battle is over when Henry distinguished himself, what do he and his friend attempt to do?
5. When the Rebels charge them again, how does Henry now feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
2. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
3. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
4. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
5. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
6. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
7. How has Wilson changed since the first days of military camp?
8. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
9. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
10. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the difficulty of keeping guilty secrets. Using Henry's second encounter with the tattered man, write about how hard it is to keep secrets when there are countless unanswered questions. Include why people often try to hide the truth and why it usually comes to the surface eventually anyway.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about advertisements for young men and women to join the military. Give your opinion on that as a recruitment process. Include how the attractiveness of the advertisement does not include the realities of being ordered into a war zone.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about living with regrets. Using Henry's regret that he was so unfeeling toward the tattered man he allowed to wander off and die alone, enlarge your essay about how everyone has some regret to live with. Discuss how to deal with regrets as Henry did, considering them a kind of learning experience.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)