|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
2. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
3. Who do Henry and his friend overhear on the road?
4. How does most of the regiment react to the news of their charge against the enemy?
5. What begins happening all around Henry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
2. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
3. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
4. What does this battle prove about the regiment?
5. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
6. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
7. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
8. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
9. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
10. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on why there is no glamor in war. Include those combatants who do not return, those who return with physical injuries, and those who return with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) to illustrate your thesis. Also include the casualties of innocent civilians.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the responsibility of command. Use the officer who berated the lieutenant within earshot of the troops as an example of bad command. Your essay can discuss teachers who have influenced you positively or negatively by how they used their authority. Or, include any person of authority who has had a similar impact on you like a boss or relative.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the loneliness of being away from home. The essay should include the psychological effects of being in unfamiliar surroundings, and how some people handle such separation better than others. Include, also, the challenges of different customs and physical surroundings in a strange place.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)