|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Henry meets up with a wounded man, what does the man want to know?
2. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
3. Where does Henry go to collect his thoughts?
4. Where is Henry's regiment the morning he expects to be his first battle?
5. How is Henry shooting and reloading as the Rebels arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the symbolism of Henry's wounds being described as inner wounds?
2. What does Henry decide nature has done with him?
3. How does Henry realize things are not going as they should?
4. After convincing himself that it was a law of nature for men and animals to run from danger, explain how his theory is proved to be untrue.
5. Explain why Henry wanted to stop and observe the dead soldier.
6. Explain Henry's concern about walking with the wounded.
7. What makes Henry think the time has come for him to find out about himself?
8. How does Henry assess the race to battle?
9. Describe the situation behind the lines near the battlefield as Henry comes close to war for the first time.
10. How is Henry's next encounter with the dead different from his stumbling upon the single dead soldier.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about how THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE is not just a Civil War story but rather a story about the effects of war on young, impressionable minds. In your essay explain how this story could be set during any war in the history of the world.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the importance of the red badge of courage to the theme of Stephen Crane's novel. Evaluate the title as to it effectiveness in arousing a reader to select the book. Also discuss how this badge differs from what is usually thought of as a badge of honor.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the responsibility of command. Use the officer who berated the lieutenant within earshot of the troops as an example of bad command. Your essay can discuss teachers who have influenced you positively or negatively by how they used their authority. Or, include any person of authority who has had a similar impact on you like a boss or relative.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)