|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new fear rises in Henry as the result of the tattered man's question about his wounds?
2. What unexpected action does Henry take?
3. As the Union soldiers get back into position, what is happening?
4. How does Henry see his current suffering?
5. How are the troops feeling as they are still on the move?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Henry wanted to stop and observe the dead soldier.
2. Describe how the men began to shed their knapsacks.
3. What is the symbolism of Henry's wounds being described as inner wounds?
4. How does the camp react to the rumor of going to war tomorrow?
5. Explain Henry's concern about walking with the wounded.
6. Describe how Henry's doubts and questions linger as he waits in the camp.
7. How would you describe the outcome of this first battle?
8. How does Henry assess the race to battle?
9. What part does glory play in motivating men to join in a war?
10. Describe Henry as he waits for the advancing Rebel army.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the effects of rumor. In your paper, include how rumors get started and why they are most often wrong. Also mention how difficult it is to deny rumor when the majority of people around firmly believe the rumor is true. Explain when rumor can become dangerous.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on why there is no glamor in war. Include those combatants who do not return, those who return with physical injuries, and those who return with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) to illustrate your thesis. Also include the casualties of innocent civilians.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the loneliness of being away from home. The essay should include the psychological effects of being in unfamiliar surroundings, and how some people handle such separation better than others. Include, also, the challenges of different customs and physical surroundings in a strange place.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)