|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is distant and surreal in Henry's mind?
2. How does Henry describe his months in camp?
3. How is the regiment treated on the way to Washington?
4. Against whom does Henry develop a particular anger?
5. Why does Henry begin to think it would be better to be killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the situation behind the lines near the battlefield as Henry comes close to war for the first time.
2. Describe the source of the rumor of going to battle the next day that goes through the camp.
3. What is the first rumor that gets started as a result of the battle?
4. Discuss Henry's moment of panic.
5. How does Henry realize things are not going as they should?
6. Define the quandary Henry finds himself in after he has run from the battlefield.
7. Describe how the men began to shed their knapsacks.
8. How does Henry assess the race to battle?
9. What is Henry's problem that keeps him from returning to his regiment right away?
10. What does Henry decide nature has done with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about finding the good that comes out of bad situations. Explain how the Civil War, one of the darkest hours in our history, resulted in a strong unified Republic. In your essay explain what might have happened if the South had succeeded in seceding from the Union.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about advertisements for young men and women to join the military. Give your opinion on that as a recruitment process. Include how the attractiveness of the advertisement does not include the realities of being ordered into a war zone.
Essay Topic 3
Write a story about some time in your life when you were very afraid. Use as much imagery as you can to make the reader feel the terror that went through you at the time. Include in your story what the fear prompted you to do or if it immobilized you.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)