|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry describe his months in camp?
2. What brings Henry out of his stupor?
3. Where does Henry go to collect his thoughts?
4. How does Henry first feel when he realizes that the Union has won the second battle?
5. Where is Henry's regiment the morning he expects to be his first battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
2. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
3. Describe how Henry's doubts and questions linger as he waits in the camp.
4. How does Henry assess the race to battle?
5. Discuss Henry's moment of panic.
6. What is the first rumor that gets started as a result of the battle?
7. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
8. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
9. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
10. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about symbols that move people emotionally or cause them to act honorably. In your essay discuss symbols that particularly move you. Describe how such symbols cause reactions in people to whom they have special meaning.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay with the thesis that no one should be forced to go to war. n addition to soldiers who daily witness the carnage and destruction, include the civilians who are faced with trying to cope with the devastation of their land and their lives.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of the red badge of courage to the theme of Stephen Crane's novel. Evaluate the title as to it effectiveness in arousing a reader to select the book. Also discuss how this badge differs from what is usually thought of as a badge of honor.
This section contains 1,588 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)