|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Instinctively, what does Henry feel about the future?
2. How does Henry first feel when he realizes that the Union has won the second battle?
3. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
4. What does Henry realize could happen to him as he runs down the road?
5. What would Henry like to find by looking into the eyes of a corpse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Henry's problem that keeps him from returning to his regiment right away?
2. Explain Henry's concern about walking with the wounded.
3. What does Henry decide nature has done with him?
4. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
5. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
6. How is Henry's next encounter with the dead different from his stumbling upon the single dead soldier.
7. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
8. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
9. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
10. Describe Henry's mental condition after his first experience in battle.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the difficulty of keeping guilty secrets. Using Henry's second encounter with the tattered man, write about how hard it is to keep secrets when there are countless unanswered questions. Include why people often try to hide the truth and why it usually comes to the surface eventually anyway.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about symbols that move people emotionally or cause them to act honorably. In your essay discuss symbols that particularly move you. Describe how such symbols cause reactions in people to whom they have special meaning.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the importance of the red badge of courage to the theme of Stephen Crane's novel. Evaluate the title as to it effectiveness in arousing a reader to select the book. Also discuss how this badge differs from what is usually thought of as a badge of honor.
This section contains 1,680 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)