|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What amazes Henry after the Rebels retreat?
2. What is Henry's first impulse as he watches the battle?
3. How are the troops feeling as they are still on the move?
4. Why does Henry begin to think it would be better to be killed?
5. What begins happening as runners come back out of the haze?
Short Essay Questions
1. Define the quandary Henry finds himself in after he has run from the battlefield.
2. What is the reality of the situation during this first battle?
3. Describe the source of the rumor of going to battle the next day that goes through the camp.
4. Describe how the men began to shed their knapsacks.
5. How does the camp react to the rumor of going to war tomorrow?
6. What part does glory play in motivating men to join in a war?
7. What is Henry's problem that keeps him from returning to his regiment right away?
8. Explain how Henry begins to think about death.
9. What does Henry want to do when he happens upon a general astride a magnificent horse?
10. Explain what goes through Henry's mind as he contemplates going into battle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the importance of the red badge of courage to the theme of Stephen Crane's novel. Evaluate the title as to it effectiveness in arousing a reader to select the book. Also discuss how this badge differs from what is usually thought of as a badge of honor.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the idealism of youth. Discuss how the lack of experience over-simplifies and makes difficult life situations seem unimportant. In the essay, include how typically young people have a sense of immortality that causes them to take risks an older person would not attempt. Give examples to back up your points.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the effects on the people soldiers leave behind when they go off to war. Begin with Henry's mother and the dark-haired girl. Then include more modern examples of this kind of separation.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)