|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Union soldiers do as the Rebels advance?
2. What is Henry's reply when the tattered man asks again about his wounds?
3. What describes the noises Henry hears coming from the Rebels?
4. What is the pipe smoking friend's reply when Henry asks if he might run away from battle?
5. How does Henry imagine the battle sounds he hears at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How successful is Henry at comparing himself to other of the troops?
2. Explain Henry's concern about walking with the wounded.
3. How is Henry's next encounter with the dead different from his stumbling upon the single dead soldier.
4. Describe how the men began to shed their knapsacks.
5. What is the reality of the situation during this first battle?
6. What is Henry's problem that keeps him from returning to his regiment right away?
7. Describe Henry's mental condition after his first experience in battle.
8. How does Henry assess the race to battle?
9. After convincing himself that it was a law of nature for men and animals to run from danger, explain how his theory is proved to be untrue.
10. Describe the source of the rumor of going to battle the next day that goes through the camp.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the responsibility of command. Use the officer who berated the lieutenant within earshot of the troops as an example of bad command. Your essay can discuss teachers who have influenced you positively or negatively by how they used their authority. Or, include any person of authority who has had a similar impact on you like a boss or relative.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the idealism of youth. Discuss how the lack of experience over-simplifies and makes difficult life situations seem unimportant. In the essay, include how typically young people have a sense of immortality that causes them to take risks an older person would not attempt. Give examples to back up your points.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about growing into maturity. Usually it is a gradual process, unlike the two day transformation of Henry. In your essay include circumstances besides war that might cause a young person to mature quickly. [e.g., parents dying in a car accident leaving an older child to care for the younger ones]
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)