|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the feeling among the regiment?
2. What does Henry's friend reply to his offer to help him walk?
3. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
4. Climbing over a fence, what does Henry discover?
5. Why is Henry ordered to get Jim off the road?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry realize things are not going as they should?
2. Discuss Henry's moment of panic.
3. Explain how Henry begins to think about death.
4. What part does glory play in motivating men to join in a war?
5. Describe the source of the rumor of going to battle the next day that goes through the camp.
6. How does Henry mentally separate himself from other men?
7. What is the symbolism of Henry's wounds being described as inner wounds?
8. What does Henry decide nature has done with him?
9. Define the quandary Henry finds himself in after he has run from the battlefield.
10. What is the first rumor that gets started as a result of the battle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a story about some time in your life when you were very afraid. Use as much imagery as you can to make the reader feel the terror that went through you at the time. Include in your story what the fear prompted you to do or if it immobilized you.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about how THE RED BADGE OF COURAGE is not just a Civil War story but rather a story about the effects of war on young, impressionable minds. In your essay explain how this story could be set during any war in the history of the world.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about symbols that move people emotionally or cause them to act honorably. In your essay discuss symbols that particularly move you. Describe how such symbols cause reactions in people to whom they have special meaning.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)