|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are all the men doing after the battle?
2. What sudden event takes place after the first retreat of the Rebels?
3. How does Henry imagine the battle sounds he hears at night?
4. What does Henry first blame for his guilty condition?
5. As a victim of nature, what does Henry feel he is being denied?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the men began to shed their knapsacks.
2. Discuss Henry's moment of panic.
3. What is the first rumor that gets started as a result of the battle?
4. What part does glory play in motivating men to join in a war?
5. Describe Henry as he waits for the advancing Rebel army.
6. Describe how Henry's doubts and questions linger as he waits in the camp.
7. What does Henry decide nature has done with him?
8. What motivates Henry to run back the way he had come?
9. Explain why Henry wanted to stop and observe the dead soldier.
10. Describe the situation behind the lines near the battlefield as Henry comes close to war for the first time.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the importance of the red badge of courage to the theme of Stephen Crane's novel. Evaluate the title as to it effectiveness in arousing a reader to select the book. Also discuss how this badge differs from what is usually thought of as a badge of honor.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the loneliness of being away from home. The essay should include the psychological effects of being in unfamiliar surroundings, and how some people handle such separation better than others. Include, also, the challenges of different customs and physical surroundings in a strange place.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the effects on the people soldiers leave behind when they go off to war. Begin with Henry's mother and the dark-haired girl. Then include more modern examples of this kind of separation.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)