|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
(a) the medics
(b) their sergeant
(c) their other friends in the regiment
(d) their lieutenant
2. How does Henry rationalize his railing at nature while he was on the run?
(a) He didn't really mean it.
(b) Hunger made him irrational.
(c) He had been confused and disoriented.
(d) The doomed and the damned are allowed to do it.
3. What happens when the shooting starts?
(a) A bugle sounds retreat.
(b) The Rebels jump up and run.
(c) Men on the front line begin falling.
(d) Henry runs away again.
4. What is the sound Henry hears as he fixes his eyes on a clump of trees?
(a) the sound of laoding rigles
(b) the Rebel yell
(c) a low, growling sound
(d) the song of birds
5. As he comes closer to the enemy, what does Henry realize is a great opportunity?
(a) to show the men an opening
(b) to light a grass fire
(c) to capture the enemy flag
(d) to shoot the Rebel colonel
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins happening all around Henry?
2. What is Henry's dark thought about the enemy?
3. Where does Henry take refuge?
4. How does most of the regiment react to the news of their charge against the enemy?
5. What do the officers expect to find among the men?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
2. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
3. How does Henry find extra strength and courage during the charge?
4. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
5. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
6. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
7. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
8. What does this battle prove about the regiment?
9. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
10. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)