|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What dangerous undertaking does Henry do after the flag bearer is killed?
(a) He stands up and fires wildly.
(b) He runs to inform the lieutenant.
(c) He runs into the trees to shoot whoever killed the flag bearer.
(d) He takes charge of carrying the flag.
2. How does Henry explain his absence from the regiment.
(a) He says his wound knocked him unconscious.
(b) He says a lieutenant sent him on an errand.
(c) He says he was there all the time but no one saw him.
(d) He says he got separated and received a head wound.
3. Why is Henry only watching the action in this latest battle?
(a) He has lost his weapon.
(b) He is paralyzed by fear.
(c) His head wound is bothering him.
(d) He is still carrying the flag.
4. Coming to his senses, what does Henry realize?
(a) He is starving.
(b) He is back with his regiment.
(c) He has to think up some good stories to tell.
(d) He needs to find another rifle.
5. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
(a) looking around for ways of escape
(b) quaking in their boots
(c) mostly standing still as though tied to stakes
(d) darting around to be more difficult targets
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry surmise as the men swarm toward where he is?
2. What causes the regiment to slow its advance against the Rebels?
3. What does Henry learn about other men in his regiment?
4. How is this charge a turning point for the regiment?
5. What is Henry advised to avoid putting pressure on his head wound?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Wilson changed since the first days of military camp?
2. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
3. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
4. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
5. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
6. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
7. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
8. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
9. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
10. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)