|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the regiment know of the military machinery behind their orders to charge the Rebels?
(a) exactly what the final plan is
(b) all the details
(c) only when they will be relieved
2. What are the men doing in the forest as Henry nears his regiment?
(a) digging holes in the ground
(b) looking for something to eat
(c) getting ready to sleep
(d) walking in circles
3. What angers Henry this time as the battle begins?
(a) that the insects keep buzzing around
(b) that the generals have not planned well
(c) that he does not have enough ammunition
(d) that he had had no time to recuperate
4. When the colonel and other officers appear, what is he shouting?
(a) They must take cover.
(b) They must charge the enemy.
(c) They must retreat.
(d) They must surrender.
5. When the Rebels charge them again, how does Henry now feel?
(b) afraid again
Short Answer Questions
1. How is this charge a turning point for the regiment?
2. What is the sound Henry hears as he fixes his eyes on a clump of trees?
3. What does Henry learn about other men in his regiment?
4. What starts the battle in the forest?
5. What causes the regiment to slow its advance against the Rebels?
Short Essay Questions
1. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
2. How was Henry's reception back in the unit better than what he had hoped for?
3. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
4. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
5. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
6. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
7. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
8. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
9. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
10. How has Wilson changed since the first days of military camp?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)