|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Henry's performance in the battle where he had to be called back to the line, how is Henry perceived by his peers?
(a) as a coward
(b) as a war devil
(c) as a deceiver
(d) as a whirlwind
2. What does Henry hear in the early morning?
(a) birds singing in the trees
(b) bugles in many camps
(c) crickets chirping
(d) thunder in the distance
3. What angers Henry this time as the battle begins?
(a) that the generals have not planned well
(b) that he does not have enough ammunition
(c) that he had had no time to recuperate
(d) that the insects keep buzzing around
4. What are the men doing in the forest as Henry nears his regiment?
(a) getting ready to sleep
(b) digging holes in the ground
(c) walking in circles
(d) looking for something to eat
5. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) Jim Conklin's death
(b) the dead soldier
(c) the yellow envelope
(d) the corpses in the field
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry see on the faces of sleeping soldiers?
2. As Henry is observing the battle, what happens suddenly to frighten him?
3. How does Henry rationalize his railing at nature while he was on the run?
4. In the charge, what gives Henry momentum to keep going?
5. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
2. How was Henry's reception back in the unit better than what he had hoped for?
3. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
4. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
5. Tell what Henry and his friend overheard on the way back from the fruitless search for water.
6. How does Henry find extra strength and courage during the charge?
7. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
8. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
9. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
10. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)