|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry hear in the early morning?
(a) birds singing in the trees
(b) crickets chirping
(c) thunder in the distance
(d) bugles in many camps
2. Who does Henry spot as he approaches his regiment?
(c) the sergeant
(d) the lieutenant
3. What dangerous undertaking does Henry do after the flag bearer is killed?
(a) He runs into the trees to shoot whoever killed the flag bearer.
(b) He takes charge of carrying the flag.
(c) He stands up and fires wildly.
(d) He runs to inform the lieutenant.
4. What starts the battle in the forest?
(a) an order from the lieutenant
(b) a single gunshot
(c) a canon blast
(d) a Rebel yell
5. What other secret do Henry and his friend share?
(a) that they will get extra pay for the charge
(b) that not many of the regiment will survive the charge
(c) that after the charge they will be sent home
(d) that they will all receive medals for the charge
Short Answer Questions
1. How does most of the regiment react to the news of their charge against the enemy?
2. What is Henry's dark thought about the enemy?
3. As the Rebels bear down on them, how does Henry feel?
4. What does the regiment know of the military machinery behind their orders to charge the Rebels?
5. How is this charge a turning point for the regiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Henry saved from having to tell a made-up story about his wound and separation from the group?
2. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
3. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
4. What does this battle prove about the regiment?
5. Tell what Henry and his friend overheard on the way back from the fruitless search for water.
6. How does Henry find extra strength and courage during the charge?
7. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
8. How has Wilson changed since the first days of military camp?
9. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
10. During the next wave of battle, describe Henry's actions.
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)