|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the lieutenant order the complaining men to do?
(a) think good thoughts
(b) start moving closer to the enemy
(c) be quiet and save their energy
(d) get some sleep
2. What is Henry's dark thought about the enemy?
(a) to see their faces contorted in fear
(b) to see them run in terror
(c) to see their families weep over their bodies
(d) to see them swallowed up by the earth
3. What do the men at the front of the unit do when they halt in some trees?
(a) bow their heads and accept death
(b) start looking for a white flag
(c) let the men ehind them come forward
(d) drink water and rest a moment
4. Why must they charge the Rebels?
(a) It is their only hope.
(b) It is getting late in the day.
(c) They cannot retreat.
(d) They are surrounded.
5. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
(a) the singing soldier
(b) the joking soldier
(c) the loud soldier
(d) the tall soldier
Short Answer Questions
1. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
2. What seems to be happening to Henry's perception as the shooting starts?
3. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
4. What surprises Henry about his head wound?
5. Describe the man who helps Henry locate his regiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
2. How was Henry's reception back in the unit better than what he had hoped for?
3. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
4. Tell what Henry and his friend overheard on the way back from the fruitless search for water.
5. How is Henry saved from having to tell a made-up story about his wound and separation from the group?
6. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
7. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
8. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
9. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
10. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)