|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
(a) He is shot in the head.
(b) He stops giving orders.
(c) He falls off his horse.
(d) He is less enthusiastic.
2. What is Henry advised to avoid putting pressure on his head wound?
(a) not to talk or yell
(b) not to go to sleep
(c) not to touch the bandage
(d) not to bump his head on a tree limb
3. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) Jim Conklin's death
(b) the corpses in the field
(c) the dead soldier
(d) the yellow envelope
4. What starts the battle in the forest?
(a) a Rebel yell
(b) a single gunshot
(c) a canon blast
(d) an order from the lieutenant
5. Who does Henry hope to impress one day?
(a) the people who live around his farm
(b) his mother and the dark haired girl
(c) his mother and her pastor
(d) the students at his old school
Short Answer Questions
1. Once in position, what does Henry see?
2. Why do some of the men move back frantically?
3. How does Henry rationalize his railing at nature while he was on the run?
4. What other secret do Henry and his friend share?
5. Who is the officer who chastises the lieutenant?
Short Essay Questions
1. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
2. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
3. How has Wilson changed since the first days of military camp?
4. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
5. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
6. How was Henry's reception back in the unit better than what he had hoped for?
7. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
8. Tell what Henry and his friend overheard on the way back from the fruitless search for water.
9. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
10. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)