|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why must they charge the Rebels?
(a) They are surrounded.
(b) It is getting late in the day.
(c) They cannot retreat.
(d) It is their only hope.
2. Who does Henry conclude would never rage at nature?
(a) a man who never makes mistakes
(b) a man who doesn't think too much
(c) a man with a full stomach and self-respect
(d) a man who believes in God
3. What is Henry's first impression as he wakes the next morning after returning to his regiment?
(a) He thinks that maybe the war is over.
(b) He wonders why everything is so quiet.
(c) He cannot remember where he is.
(d) He first thinks the sleeping men are corpses.
4. What does a Major volunteer Henry's regiment to do?
(a) return to base
(b) collect the bodies of the fallen
(c) ambush the Rebels from behind
(d) charge the enemy
5. What does Wilson help Henry do?
(a) get treatment for his head injury
(b) locate a place to sleep
(c) get something to eat
(d) find another rifle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry learn about other men in his regiment?
2. As the men of the regiment fight like wild animals, what happens suddenly?
3. Why is Henry only watching the action in this latest battle?
4. What starts the battle in the forest?
5. As the Rebels bear down on them, how does Henry feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
2. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
3. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
4. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
5. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
6. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
7. Tell what Henry and his friend overheard on the way back from the fruitless search for water.
8. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
9. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
10. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)