|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men at the front of the unit do when they halt in some trees?
(a) let the men ehind them come forward
(b) start looking for a white flag
(c) drink water and rest a moment
(d) bow their heads and accept death
2. What other secret do Henry and his friend share?
(a) that they will get extra pay for the charge
(b) that not many of the regiment will survive the charge
(c) that after the charge they will be sent home
(d) that they will all receive medals for the charge
3. When the orders come, where is Henry's regiment gong?
(a) to circle around behind the Rebel army
(b) to join other regiments about to charge the Rebels
(c) to relieve another regiment in the trenches
(d) back to base for more training
4. Who does Henry conclude would never rage at nature?
(a) a man who doesn't think too much
(b) a man with a full stomach and self-respect
(c) a man who believes in God
(d) a man who never makes mistakes
5. What does Henry imagine himself doing sometime in the future?
(a) telling his stories by candlelight in a parlor
(b) training young soldiers in rifle shooting
(c) writing a book about his adventures
(d) lecturing young men on going to war
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
2. How close is the enemy at this time?
3. What surprises Henry about his head wound?
4. What is Henry's dark thought about the enemy?
5. What is Henry advised to avoid putting pressure on his head wound?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
2. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
3. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
4. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
5. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
6. How does Henry find extra strength and courage during the charge?
7. What does this battle prove about the regiment?
8. Tell what Henry and his friend overheard on the way back from the fruitless search for water.
9. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
10. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)