|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wilson help Henry do?
(a) find another rifle
(b) locate a place to sleep
(c) get treatment for his head injury
(d) get something to eat
2. What does the regiment know of the military machinery behind their orders to charge the Rebels?
(a) exactly what the final plan is
(b) only when they will be relieved
(d) all the details
3. After Henry's performance in the battle where he had to be called back to the line, how is Henry perceived by his peers?
(a) as a war devil
(b) as a whirlwind
(c) as a coward
(d) as a deceiver
4. What is Henry's first impression as he wakes the next morning after returning to his regiment?
(a) He thinks that maybe the war is over.
(b) He wonders why everything is so quiet.
(c) He cannot remember where he is.
(d) He first thinks the sleeping men are corpses.
5. How does Henry explain his absence from the regiment.
(a) He says he got separated and received a head wound.
(b) He says his wound knocked him unconscious.
(c) He says a lieutenant sent him on an errand.
(d) He says he was there all the time but no one saw him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
2. What is Henry's act of bravery?
3. What effect does the report of the lieutenant's chastisement have on the troops?
4. How is this charge a turning point for the regiment?
5. What causes the regiment to slow its advance against the Rebels?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
2. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
3. How does Henry find extra strength and courage during the charge?
4. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
5. Tell what Henry and his friend overheard on the way back from the fruitless search for water.
6. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
7. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
8. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
9. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
10. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)