|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
(a) the joking soldier
(b) the loud soldier
(c) the singing soldier
(d) the tall soldier
2. What do the men at the front of the unit do when they halt in some trees?
(a) start looking for a white flag
(b) bow their heads and accept death
(c) let the men ehind them come forward
(d) drink water and rest a moment
3. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) the dead soldier
(b) the yellow envelope
(c) the corpses in the field
(d) Jim Conklin's death
4. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
(a) He falls off his horse.
(b) He is shot in the head.
(c) He is less enthusiastic.
(d) He stops giving orders.
5. What happens as the smoke begins to clear?
(a) The Rebels are charging Henry's regiment.
(b) The bugles sound another charge.
(c) The men begin to cheer.
(d) Henry lets go of the flag.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry rationalize his railing at nature while he was on the run?
2. Once in position, what does Henry see?
3. What happens that begins to wear on the men's nerves?
4. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
5. What surprises Henry about his head wound?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Henry saved from having to tell a made-up story about his wound and separation from the group?
2. How does Henry find extra strength and courage during the charge?
3. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
4. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
5. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
6. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
7. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
8. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
9. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
10. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)