|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry learn about other men in his regiment?
(a) They were ambushed and many of them killed.
(b) They, too, got separated and are returning.
(c) They had wanted to surrender.
(d) They had stayed at the front the longest.
2. What seems to be happening to Henry's perception as the shooting starts?
(a) He is blinded by gun powder.
(b) He cannot see details.
(c) Everything seems sharper and clearer.
(d) His vision blurs.
3. What does the lieutenant order the complaining men to do?
(a) get some sleep
(b) think good thoughts
(c) start moving closer to the enemy
(d) be quiet and save their energy
4. How does Henry feel about the enemy?
(a) that they give up too easily
(b) that there are so many of them
(c) that they are better shots than the Union soldiers
(d) that they never seem to tire
5. What is Henry's resolve during the battle?
(a) to help the lieutenant
(b) to look for escape
(c) not to move
(d) to write everyting down
Short Answer Questions
1. Coming to his senses, what does Henry realize?
2. What does a higher ranking officer do to the lieutenant?
3. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
4. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
5. What angers Henry this time as the battle begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
2. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
3. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
4. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
5. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
6. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
7. How is Henry saved from having to tell a made-up story about his wound and separation from the group?
8. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
9. What does this battle prove about the regiment?
10. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)