|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the charge, how do the men know they are safe?
(a) They are ordered to return to the battalion.
(b) The battle noises are now far away.
(c) Scouts report that the Rebels have retreated.
(d) The birds return to the trees.
2. Why is Henry only watching the action in this latest battle?
(a) He is paralyzed by fear.
(b) He has lost his weapon.
(c) His head wound is bothering him.
(d) He is still carrying the flag.
3. What does a higher ranking officer do to the lieutenant?
(a) Belittles him for not going farther.
(b) Orders him to report to the general.
(c) Relieves him of duty.
(d) Gives him a commendation.
4. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
(a) He gets hit in the head with a rifle butt.
(b) He is told to shut up and run.
(c) He gets stabbed with a bayonet.
(d) He is cursed as a deserter.
5. After Henry's performance in the battle where he had to be called back to the line, how is Henry perceived by his peers?
(a) as a war devil
(b) as a coward
(c) as a whirlwind
(d) as a deceiver
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's resolve during the battle?
2. Why must they charge the Rebels?
3. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
4. What does Henry learn about other men in his regiment?
5. After Henry plants the flag in the ground, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
2. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
3. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
4. How was Henry's reception back in the unit better than what he had hoped for?
5. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
6. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
7. What does this battle prove about the regiment?
8. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
9. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
10. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)