|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What angers Henry this time as the battle begins?
(a) that he had had no time to recuperate
(b) that he does not have enough ammunition
(c) that the insects keep buzzing around
(d) that the generals have not planned well
2. What causes the regiment to slow its advance against the Rebels?
(b) canon fire
(d) orders from the lieutenant
3. How close is the enemy at this time?
(a) close enough to hear what they say
(b) close enough to see their faces
(c) close enough to hit with a stone
(d) close enough to fight hand to hand
4. What dangerous undertaking does Henry do after the flag bearer is killed?
(a) He runs into the trees to shoot whoever killed the flag bearer.
(b) He stands up and fires wildly.
(c) He takes charge of carrying the flag.
(d) He runs to inform the lieutenant.
5. What is Henry's first impression as he wakes the next morning after returning to his regiment?
(a) He first thinks the sleeping men are corpses.
(b) He thinks that maybe the war is over.
(c) He cannot remember where he is.
(d) He wonders why everything is so quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does his friend do to try and help Henry?
2. What does Henry see on the faces of sleeping soldiers?
3. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
4. What is the sound Henry hears as he fixes his eyes on a clump of trees?
5. What starts the battle in the forest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Henry's reception back in the unit better than what he had hoped for?
2. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
3. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
4. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
5. How is Henry saved from having to tell a made-up story about his wound and separation from the group?
6. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
7. During the next wave of battle, describe Henry's actions.
8. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
9. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
10. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)