|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry advised to avoid putting pressure on his head wound?
(a) not to touch the bandage
(b) not to talk or yell
(c) not to go to sleep
(d) not to bump his head on a tree limb
2. What effect does the report of the lieutenant's chastisement have on the troops?
(a) makes them laugh
(b) makes them resolved to do better next time
(c) lowers their morale
(d) raises their hopes
3. What happens that begins to wear on the men's nerves?
(a) hours of dead silence from the Rebels
(b) continuing rifle fire with no let up
(c) rain that fills the trenches with water
(d) catcalls and Rebel yells
4. What conversation do the men have about the officer who called them mule drivers?
(a) What a stupid man he is.
(b) How he ever got to be an officer.
(c) How if they are the drivers, he is the mule.
(d) What they would do to him if they got the chance.
5. What happens as the smoke begins to clear?
(a) Henry lets go of the flag.
(b) The Rebels are charging Henry's regiment.
(c) The men begin to cheer.
(d) The bugles sound another charge.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Rebels charge them again, how does Henry now feel?
2. Who is the officer who chastises the lieutenant?
3. After Henry's performance in the battle where he had to be called back to the line, how is Henry perceived by his peers?
4. What begins happening all around Henry?
5. When the orders come, where is Henry's regiment gong?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
2. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
3. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
4. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
5. Tell what Henry and his friend overheard on the way back from the fruitless search for water.
6. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
7. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
8. How is Henry saved from having to tell a made-up story about his wound and separation from the group?
9. During the next wave of battle, describe Henry's actions.
10. How has Wilson changed since the first days of military camp?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)