|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry's act of bravery?
(a) He defies the orders of the colonel.
(b) He manages to carry the flag and shoot at the same time.
(c) He moves ahead with the flag and urges the men to follow.
(d) He lets out a yell and charges the Rebels alone.
2. What does the lieutenant order the complaining men to do?
(a) start moving closer to the enemy
(b) get some sleep
(c) be quiet and save their energy
(d) think good thoughts
3. What does Henry see on the faces of sleeping soldiers?
4. What does Henry surmise as the men swarm toward where he is?
(a) that they are looking for him
(b) that the battle is lost
(c) that he will be trampled
(d) that he had fallen asleep
5. What does Wilson help Henry do?
(a) find another rifle
(b) locate a place to sleep
(c) get treatment for his head injury
(d) get something to eat
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's first impression as he wakes the next morning after returning to his regiment?
2. What do the men at the front of the unit do when they halt in some trees?
3. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
4. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
5. Describe the man who helps Henry locate his regiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
2. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
3. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
4. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
5. How was Henry's reception back in the unit better than what he had hoped for?
6. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
7. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
8. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
9. How has Wilson changed since the first days of military camp?
10. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)