|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Henry plants the flag in the ground, what happens?
(a) The Rebel charge comes near enough for Henry to look them in the eye.
(b) The regiment loses heart and waits to die.
(c) Henry is shot but he refuses to fall.
(d) The regiment is uplifted by the sight of the flag and charges ahead.
2. What is Henry's act of bravery?
(a) He moves ahead with the flag and urges the men to follow.
(b) He defies the orders of the colonel.
(c) He manages to carry the flag and shoot at the same time.
(d) He lets out a yell and charges the Rebels alone.
3. As he comes closer to the enemy, what does Henry realize is a great opportunity?
(a) to light a grass fire
(b) to shoot the Rebel colonel
(c) to capture the enemy flag
(d) to show the men an opening
4. What seems to be happening to Henry's perception as the shooting starts?
(a) His vision blurs.
(b) He is blinded by gun powder.
(c) He cannot see details.
(d) Everything seems sharper and clearer.
5. What does Wilson help Henry do?
(a) locate a place to sleep
(b) get something to eat
(c) find another rifle
(d) get treatment for his head injury
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the officers expect to find among the men?
2. As the men of the regiment fight like wild animals, what happens suddenly?
3. What is Henry's resolve during the battle?
4. What happens as the smoke begins to clear?
5. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
2. What do Henry and his friend manage to do that boosts the morale of the Union forces to make the Rebels retreat?
3. During the next wave of battle, describe Henry's actions.
4. How was Henry's reception back in the unit better than what he had hoped for?
5. Thinking ahead, what image comes to Henry's mind?
6. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
7. What does this battle prove about the regiment?
8. Explain why Henry and his friend went to find a stream.
9. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
10. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)