|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Henry hope to impress one day?
(a) the students at his old school
(b) the people who live around his farm
(c) his mother and the dark haired girl
(d) his mother and her pastor
2. When the colonel and other officers appear, what is he shouting?
(a) They must charge the enemy.
(b) They must take cover.
(c) They must surrender.
(d) They must retreat.
3. What happens as the smoke begins to clear?
(a) The men begin to cheer.
(b) The bugles sound another charge.
(c) Henry lets go of the flag.
(d) The Rebels are charging Henry's regiment.
4. Who is the officer who chastises the lieutenant?
(a) the one who called them mule drivers
(b) the one who lost his horse
(c) the one who advises the general
(d) the one who carrys the battalion flag
5. What is Henry's dark thought about the enemy?
(a) to see their families weep over their bodies
(b) to see them run in terror
(c) to see their faces contorted in fear
(d) to see them swallowed up by the earth
Short Answer Questions
1. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
2. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
3. How close is the enemy at this time?
4. Who does Henry spot as he approaches his regiment?
5. When the orders come, where is Henry's regiment gong?
Short Essay Questions
1. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
2. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
3. How does Henry find extra strength and courage during the charge?
4. After the charge, when they realized they were safe, how do some of the men return to their own lines?
5. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
6. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
7. How has Wilson changed since the first days of military camp?
8. What does this battle prove about the regiment?
9. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
10. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)