|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once in position, what does Henry see?
(a) a long clearing with sandbag walls on the far side
(b) a row of Rebel canons aimed in his direction
(c) a long stretch of cleared wood with flashes of rifle fire
(d) a long stretch of burned out forest
2. How does Henry feel about the enemy?
(a) that there are so many of them
(b) that they give up too easily
(c) that they never seem to tire
(d) that they are better shots than the Union soldiers
3. What does Wilson help Henry do?
(a) get something to eat
(b) locate a place to sleep
(c) find another rifle
(d) get treatment for his head injury
4. What happens as the smoke begins to clear?
(a) Henry lets go of the flag.
(b) The Rebels are charging Henry's regiment.
(c) The men begin to cheer.
(d) The bugles sound another charge.
5. What does Henry imagine himself doing sometime in the future?
(a) lecturing young men on going to war
(b) training young soldiers in rifle shooting
(c) telling his stories by candlelight in a parlor
(d) writing a book about his adventures
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the men at the front of the unit do when they halt in some trees?
2. Who do Henry and his friend overhear on the road?
3. What does the regiment know of the military machinery behind their orders to charge the Rebels?
4. When the colonel and other officers appear, what is he shouting?
5. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
2. What prompts the regiment to drive on in the charge?
3. What elates Henry and his friend as they are resting safely with the regiment?
4. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
5. How is Henry saved from having to tell a made-up story about his wound and separation from the group?
6. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
7. How does Henry receive what becomes his red badge of courage?
8. Describe what startles Henry when he wakes up the following morning.
9. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
10. How does Henry eventually get back to his regiment?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)