|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question begins to disturb Henry before he goes to battle?
(a) why he enlisted
(b) whether he can shoot a rifle
(c) if he will run
(d) how he will take cover
2. When they stop running, what do the men begin to build?
(a) little hills out of anything they can find
(b) small fires to keep warm
(c) walls around their new camp
(d) log cabins for the officers
3. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
(a) washing clothes
(b) hitching up the plow horse
(c) waving good-bye
(d) praying and quivering
4. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
(a) brushes his uniform
(b) knits him some socks
(c) bakes him some cookies
(d) cuts his hair
5. Who does Henry meet up with as he walks with the wounded?
(a) Jim, from his regiment
(b) the general he saw on a horse
(c) the pipe smoking comrade
(d) the lieutenant with the wounded hand
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the whole scene appear to Henry?
2. What rumor passing through the regiment begins the novel?
3. What does one young man of the battalion do at the first volley?
4. What happens when a huge swarm of soldiers retreats with stragglers heading every which way?
5. How does Henry's question about his bravery continue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Henry's moment of panic.
2. Explain what goes through Henry's mind as he contemplates going into battle.
3. How does Henry assess the race to battle?
4. How would you describe the outcome of this first battle?
5. How does the tattered man put another face on the victims of war?
6. Describe Henry's mental condition after his first experience in battle.
7. What does Henry want to do when he happens upon a general astride a magnificent horse?
8. How does the camp react to the rumor of going to war tomorrow?
9. Explain why Henry wanted to stop and observe the dead soldier.
10. What particularly pleases Henry when he stops by his old school?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)