|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Against whom does Henry develop a particular anger?
(b) the loud soldier
(c) the tall soldier
(d) the generals
2. Who catches up to Henry after Jim Conklin dies?
(a) the field doctor
(b) the tattered man
(c) the lieutenant
(d) the general
3. What is distant and surreal in Henry's mind?
(a) that political differences can start a war
(b) that things go on as usual back at home
(c) that officers hold his life in their hands
(d) that the war happens in his own country
4. What would Henry like to find by looking into the eyes of a corpse?
(a) the answer to his big question
(b) if he is a yankee or a rebel
(c) if he is still alive
(d) if the soldier had any pain
5. Where is Henry's regiment the morning he expects to be his first battle?
(a) on the banks of a river
(b) on an open field
(c) among the trees at the edge of a grove
(d) near a small Southern village
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
2. At twilight after running aimlessly in the woods, what sound does Henry hear?
3. What warning does Henry's mother give her son?
4. How is the regiment treated on the way to Washington?
5. What brings Henry out of his stupor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry as he waits for the advancing Rebel army.
2. How does Henry assess the race to battle?
3. Explain what goes through Henry's mind as he contemplates going into battle.
4. How does the tattered man put another face on the victims of war?
5. Describe the pipe smoking friend's attitude about marching and war.
6. Explain how Henry perceives the men and wagons retreating from the battle.
7. After convincing himself that it was a law of nature for men and animals to run from danger, explain how his theory is proved to be untrue.
8. How does Henry mentally separate himself from other men?
9. Explain why Henry wanted to stop and observe the dead soldier.
10. What is the first rumor that gets started as a result of the battle?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)