|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Henry shooting and reloading as the Rebels arrive?
(a) very slowly
(c) like a machine
(d) not very methodically
2. Why is Henry jealous of the men leaving the battlefield?
(a) He imagines they will get medals.
(b) He realizes he would have been one of them.
(c) He imagines they are the chosen ones.
(d) He sees them leaving without shame.
3. What does one young man of the battalion do at the first volley?
(a) He runs.
(b) He covers his head with both hands.
(c) He stands up.
(d) He vomits.
4. As the noise of the battle grows louder, what does Henry see that confuses him?
(a) fewer wounded
(b) men leaving the battlefield
(c) the Rebels being pushed back
(d) a chance to slip back in unnoticed
5. What rumor passing through the regiment begins the novel?
(a) that the war is over
(b) that Rebs have surrounded the camp
(c) that Lincoln has been shot
(d) that they will fight tomorrow
Short Answer Questions
1. When they stop running, what do the men begin to build?
2. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
3. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
4. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
5. What does Henry wonder about seeing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Henry's next encounter with the dead different from his stumbling upon the single dead soldier.
2. How does the camp react to the rumor of going to war tomorrow?
3. Describe Henry's mental condition after his first experience in battle.
4. Describe how the men began to shed their knapsacks.
5. Describe how Henry's doubts and questions linger as he waits in the camp.
6. How successful is Henry at comparing himself to other of the troops?
7. After convincing himself that it was a law of nature for men and animals to run from danger, explain how his theory is proved to be untrue.
8. How does Henry mentally separate himself from other men?
9. Define the quandary Henry finds himself in after he has run from the battlefield.
10. What does Henry decide nature has done with him?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)