|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry regard himself in comparison to the ones who stayed to fight?
(a) as having superior intellect
(b) as physically weaker than the ones who stayed
(c) as being more of a hero than they
(d) as being more stupid than his comrades
2. How does Henry know that the Union forces had won this second battle?
(a) He overheard a cavalryman talking about it.
(b) He could see it from the tree he had climbed.
(c) He could hear their cheers from where he stood.
(d) When the gunshots stopped, the Union was not in retreat.
3. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
(a) He doesn't have time to use a handkerchief.
(b) Tree bark popped into his eye.
(c) Sweat is running into his eyes.
(d) He doesn't believe what he is seeing.
4. Why is Henry ordered to get Jim off the road?
(a) He is walking too slow.
(b) Snipers may shoot him.
(c) There are holes in the road.
(d) A battery is approaching.
5. What new fear rises in Henry as the result of the tattered man's question about his wounds?
(a) that he will be sent back to the front
(b) that he will be found out
(c) that the man knows he is a deserter
(d) that he might get wounded like him
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Henry sees a man in front of him drop his rifle and run away?
2. Where is Henry's regiment the morning he expects to be his first battle?
3. What begins happening as runners come back out of the haze?
4. Who does Henry meet up with as he walks with the wounded?
5. What puts Henry to sleep the first night in the new camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would you describe the outcome of this first battle?
2. Explain why Henry wanted to stop and observe the dead soldier.
3. How does Henry assess the race to battle?
4. What particularly pleases Henry when he stops by his old school?
5. What motivates Henry to run back the way he had come?
6. Describe how the men began to shed their knapsacks.
7. What is happening all around Henry?
8. What is the first rumor that gets started as a result of the battle?
9. Describe how Henry's doubts and questions linger as he waits in the camp.
10. How is Henry's next encounter with the dead different from his stumbling upon the single dead soldier.
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)