|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
(a) shed their knapsacks
(b) make jokes
(d) hold hands
2. How does Henry first feel when he realizes that the Union has won the second battle?
(a) afraid of what will happen to him now
(b) betrayed in a way
(d) confused and disbelieving
3. How is the horror personified among Henry's regiment?
(a) Blood dripping from the returning soldiers
(b) Officers cursing the twist of fate
(c) Panic among the officers
(d) Comrades falling dead in front of them
4. When they stop running, what do the men begin to build?
(a) small fires to keep warm
(b) walls around their new camp
(c) log cabins for the officers
(d) little hills out of anything they can find
5. What is the feeling among the regiment?
(a) They will have to fight on empty stomachs today.
(b) The Rebels will be defeated in no time.
(c) The Union soldiers will all be massacred.
(d) The battle will take weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
2. How does Henry imagine the battle sounds he hears at night?
3. What rumor passing through the regiment begins the novel?
4. As the Union soldiers get back into position, what is happening?
5. What do the Union soldiers do as the Rebels advance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What part does glory play in motivating men to join in a war?
2. Explain how Henry perceives the men and wagons retreating from the battle.
3. Define the quandary Henry finds himself in after he has run from the battlefield.
4. Explain Henry's concern about walking with the wounded.
5. What is the reality of the situation during this first battle?
6. Discuss Henry's moment of panic.
7. Explain why Henry wanted to stop and observe the dead soldier.
8. After convincing himself that it was a law of nature for men and animals to run from danger, explain how his theory is proved to be untrue.
9. What is happening all around Henry?
10. Describe Henry's mental condition after his first experience in battle.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)