|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rumor passing through the regiment begins the novel?
(a) that the war is over
(b) that Lincoln has been shot
(c) that Rebs have surrounded the camp
(d) that they will fight tomorrow
2. What does Henry see that is his first encounter with the reality of war?
(a) an abandoned canon
(b) destroyed fields
(c) wounded soldiers coming back the other way
(d) the body of a dead soldier
3. How does Henry see his current suffering?
(a) as having followed the course nature laid out for him
(b) as a burden that he sould not have to bear
(c) as being fair because he is a coward
(d) as an accident of nature
4. How does the pipe-smoking friend try to encourage Henry?
(a) by predicting he will do great things
(b) by saying they will be side by side
(c) by telling him jokes
(d) by getting his mind off battle
5. Who does Henry meet up with as he walks with the wounded?
(a) the general he saw on a horse
(b) the lieutenant with the wounded hand
(c) Jim, from his regiment
(d) the pipe smoking comrade
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Henry shooting and reloading as the Rebels arrive?
2. What amazes Henry after the Rebels retreat?
3. How are the troops feeling as they are still on the move?
4. As the noise of the battle grows louder, what does Henry see that confuses him?
5. What does Henry think the lieutenant is lacking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the pipe smoking friend's attitude about marching and war.
2. What is happening all around Henry?
3. What is Henry's problem that keeps him from returning to his regiment right away?
4. Define the quandary Henry finds himself in after he has run from the battlefield.
5. Explain what goes through Henry's mind as he contemplates going into battle.
6. Describe how the men began to shed their knapsacks.
7. How would you describe the outcome of this first battle?
8. Describe Henry's mental condition after his first experience in battle.
9. How is Henry's next encounter with the dead different from his stumbling upon the single dead soldier.
10. How does Henry realize things are not going as they should?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)