|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Against whom does Henry develop a particular anger?
(a) the loud soldier
(c) the tall soldier
(d) the generals
2. What new fear rises in Henry as the result of the tattered man's question about his wounds?
(a) that he will be found out
(b) that the man knows he is a deserter
(c) that he might get wounded like him
(d) that he will be sent back to the front
3. Running down the road, what is Henry trying to do?
(a) to load his rifle
(b) to find out what is happening
(c) to keep his head down
(d) to keep up with the other men
4. How does he think men perceive him?
(a) as a greased pig
(b) as a worm in an apple
(c) as a mindless monkey
(d) as a piece of trash
5. How has Henry always viewed himself in the world?
(a) as one who always follows orders
(b) as unimportant and useless
(c) as different from other men
(d) as less intelligent than others
Short Answer Questions
1. What immobilizes Henry to prevent him for seeking out his regiment?
2. Who impresses Henry when he stops by the school to say good-bye?
3. Who catches up to Henry after Jim Conklin dies?
4. What makes Henry believe that at last his chance to prove himself has come?
5. As a boy, how had Henry imagined himself ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first rumor that gets started as a result of the battle?
2. Explain Henry's concern about walking with the wounded.
3. What is the symbolism of Henry's wounds being described as inner wounds?
4. Describe how Henry's doubts and questions linger as he waits in the camp.
5. What makes Henry think the time has come for him to find out about himself?
6. What does Henry decide nature has done with him?
7. Explain how Henry begins to think about death.
8. How does the camp react to the rumor of going to war tomorrow?
9. What part does glory play in motivating men to join in a war?
10. What does Henry want to do when he happens upon a general astride a magnificent horse?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)