|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As the noise of the battle grows louder, what does Henry see that confuses him?
(a) the Rebels being pushed back
(b) fewer wounded
(c) men leaving the battlefield
(d) a chance to slip back in unnoticed
2. What brings Henry out of his stupor?
(a) Someone cries out that the enemy is coming.
(b) He hears the Rebel war cry.
(c) The lieutenant kicks him.
(d) A bullet whizzes by his head.
3. How does Henry regard himself in comparison to the ones who stayed to fight?
(a) as having superior intellect
(b) as being more of a hero than they
(c) as physically weaker than the ones who stayed
(d) as being more stupid than his comrades
4. What is Henry's last view of the tattered man?
(a) falling on his face in the road
(b) falling under the wheels of a caisson
(c) headed back the wrong way
(d) walking aimlessly in a field
5. At what is Henry's anger directed during the battle?
(a) the lieutenants
(b) the heat
(c) the noise
(d) the smoke
Short Answer Questions
1. What question begins to disturb Henry before he goes to battle?
2. What becomes Henry's grandiose image of himself?
3. Why is Henry ordered to get Jim off the road?
4. What destroys Henry's rationalization about nature prompting him to run?
5. Who does Henry meet up with as he walks with the wounded?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Henry's regiment go and why?
2. What is Henry's problem that keeps him from returning to his regiment right away?
3. How was Henry's reception back in the unit better than what he had hoped for?
4. During the next wave of battle, describe Henry's actions.
5. Explain how Henry perceives the men and wagons retreating from the battle.
6. How successful is Henry at comparing himself to other of the troops?
7. Describe how the battle begins as Henry's regiment begins the charge.
8. What does this battle prove about the regiment?
9. How has Wilson changed since the first days of military camp?
10. What does Henry do to prevent Wilson from being reminded of how scared he was earlier?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)