|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry's pipe-smoking friend feel about long marches?
(a) all right because it is better than doing nothing
(b) all right because it keeps them in shape
(c) all right if there is a battle at the end of it
(d) all right if it only means a new camp
2. How is Henry shooting and reloading as the Rebels arrive?
(b) very slowly
(c) like a machine
(d) not very methodically
3. What sudden event takes place after the first retreat of the Rebels?
(a) They return.
(b) The generals send new orders.
(c) They are ordered to march.
(d) A storm arises.
4. Where does Henry go to collect his thoughts?
(a) away from camp to lie in the grass
(b) down by a stream
(c) into his tent
(d) to the camp chaplain
5. What happens the morning after the rumor of going to war was circulated around the regiment?
(a) a parade
(b) an officers meeting
(c) nothing happens
(d) a forced march to the front
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry begin to think it would be better to be killed?
2. Where does the bullet hit the lieutenant?
3. As the Union soldiers get back into position, what is happening?
4. As a boy, how had Henry imagined himself ?
5. How does Henry picture the advancing Rebels?
Short Essay Questions
1. As another charge comes toward Henry's regiment, describe Henry's emotions.
2. How does Henry realize things are not going as they should?
3. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
4. How does the camp react to the rumor of going to war tomorrow?
5. Define the quandary Henry finds himself in after he has run from the battlefield.
6. As they wait in the trenches, what happens to the silence?
7. After convincing himself that it was a law of nature for men and animals to run from danger, explain how his theory is proved to be untrue.
8. Describe Henry at the end of this first full day of fighting.
9. What is Henry's problem that keeps him from returning to his regiment right away?
10. How would you describe the outcome of this first battle?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)