|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry begin to think it would be better to be killed?
(a) to have his troubles ended
(b) to teach a lesson to the lieutenant
(c) to escape his duty
(d) to get some rest
2. How does Henry picture the advancing Rebels?
(a) as a swarm of bees
(b) as an advancing freight train
(c) as a great cloud of thunder
(d) as a red and green dragon
3. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
(a) proud that he has such a friend
(b) sure that he will not run away
(c) sure now that he will run away from battle
(d) more alone than ever
4. How does Henry's question about his bravery continue?
(a) He makes a joke of the idea.
(b) He has terrible dreams of running away.
(c) He puts it all out of his mind.
(d) He tries to calculate the odds of his running away.
5. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
(a) bakes him some cookies
(b) cuts his hair
(c) knits him some socks
(d) brushes his uniform
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry think the lieutenant is lacking?
2. What does one of Henry's tent mates ask him to do?
3. What describes the noises Henry hears coming from the Rebels?
4. How does Henry see his current suffering?
5. What is the pipe smoking friend's reply when Henry asks if he might run away from battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Henry's doubts and questions linger as he waits in the camp.
2. What does Henry decide nature has done with him?
3. Describe the pipe smoking friend's attitude about marching and war.
4. What makes Henry think the time has come for him to find out about himself?
5. How does the tattered man put another face on the victims of war?
6. Explain why Henry wanted to stop and observe the dead soldier.
7. How does Henry realize things are not going as they should?
8. What does Henry want to do when he happens upon a general astride a magnificent horse?
9. Describe Henry as he waits for the advancing Rebel army.
10. Explain what goes through Henry's mind as he contemplates going into battle.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)