|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What immobilizes Henry to prevent him for seeking out his regiment?
(a) He no longer has a rifle and cannot go into battle to fight with his hands.
(b) He cannot come up with a good story about where he has been.
(c) He cannot make up his mind that he really wants to return.
(d) He cannot imagine how to find his regiment in all the confusion.
2. Where does Henry's mother think he could be put to better use than in the army?
(a) on the farm
(b) in the navy
(c) as a postman
(d) in a schoolroom
3. How are the troops feeling as they are still on the move?
(a) They are happy and singing.
(b) They can march like this for hours without resting.
(c) The heat and fatigue are overwhelming,
(d) They have high hopes of reaching the front.
4. How is Henry shooting and reloading as the Rebels arrive?
(a) very slowly
(c) not very methodically
(d) like a machine
5. As the Union soldiers get back into position, what is happening?
(a) The earth is shaking underneat them.
(b) Bugles are sounding loudly.
(c) Fire breaks out behind them.
(d) Bullets are flying, shearing off blades of grass.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry know that the Union forces had won this second battle?
2. What new fear rises in Henry as the result of the tattered man's question about his wounds?
3. How does the pipe-smoking friend try to encourage Henry?
4. How has Henry always viewed himself in the world?
5. Instinctively, what does Henry feel about the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the camp react to the rumor of going to war tomorrow?
2. What is the symbolism of Henry's wounds being described as inner wounds?
3. How does the tattered man put another face on the victims of war?
4. After convincing himself that it was a law of nature for men and animals to run from danger, explain how his theory is proved to be untrue.
5. Describe Henry as he waits for the advancing Rebel army.
6. Describe how the men began to shed their knapsacks.
7. What particularly pleases Henry when he stops by his old school?
8. Describe the source of the rumor of going to battle the next day that goes through the camp.
9. How would you describe the outcome of this first battle?
10. Explain why Henry wanted to stop and observe the dead soldier.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)