|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unexpected action does Henry take?
(a) He circles around to get near the Rebel army.
(b) He starts running toward the battle sounds.
(c) He runs deeper into the woods.
(d) He climbs a tree to wait for the battle to come to him.
2. What does the lieutenant do to the boy who tries to run away?
(a) lets him go
(b) shoots him
(c) beats him
(d) kicks him
3. What follows the men returning from the battlefield?
(a) catcalls and bullets whizzing by their heads
(b) stray dogs afraid of the noise
(c) horses that have lost their riders
(d) military ambulance wagons
4. At twilight after running aimlessly in the woods, what sound does Henry hear?
(a) the sound of cattle returning to their barns
(b) the sound of squirrels chattering in the trees
(c) the sound of resuming battle
(d) the sound of singing and dnacing
5. What is Henry's initial reaction to the results of his first battle?
(a) He is in a daze and cannot think.
(b) He congratualtes himself on coming through it.
(c) He wishes for a way to go home.
(d) He wishes he had run away.
Short Answer Questions
1. What awakens Henry one morning?
2. What causes Henry's moment of panic?
3. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
4. When Henry meets up with a wounded man, what does the man want to know?
5. Running down the road, what is Henry trying to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry realize things are not going as they should?
2. Describe the source of the rumor of going to battle the next day that goes through the camp.
3. How does the camp react to the rumor of going to war tomorrow?
4. Define the quandary Henry finds himself in after he has run from the battlefield.
5. Describe Henry as he waits for the advancing Rebel army.
6. How does Henry assess the race to battle?
7. How does Henry mentally separate himself from other men?
8. Describe the pipe smoking friend's attitude about marching and war.
9. What makes Henry think the time has come for him to find out about himself?
10. How successful is Henry at comparing himself to other of the troops?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)