|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What follows the men returning from the battlefield?
(a) stray dogs afraid of the noise
(b) catcalls and bullets whizzing by their heads
(c) military ambulance wagons
(d) horses that have lost their riders
2. What new fear rises in Henry as the result of the tattered man's question about his wounds?
(a) that he will be found out
(b) that he will be sent back to the front
(c) that the man knows he is a deserter
(d) that he might get wounded like him
3. Why has Henry delayed so many times from enlisting in the army?
(a) because of his mother
(b) because of his fear
(c) because of his dreams
(d) because of his age
4. What is it that Henry believes he is the only man who can see?
(a) that war is a game for bored civilians to play like chess
(b) that war is nature's way of duping men into being victims
(c) that war is nonsense invented by madmen
(d) that war is nature's way of sorting out the fittest humans
5. What is the pipe smoking friend's reply when Henry asks if he might run away from battle?
(a) He says it isn't possible.
(b) He says he doesn't know.
(c) He says he isn't sure.
(d) He says he probably will.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are all the men doing after the battle?
2. What makes it difficult for them to make out anything in front of them?
3. What does Henry feel at times about the wounded men?
4. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
5. How does Henry describe his months in camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry as he waits for the advancing Rebel army.
2. How does the camp react to the rumor of going to war tomorrow?
3. Describe how the men began to shed their knapsacks.
4. Define the quandary Henry finds himself in after he has run from the battlefield.
5. How is Henry's next encounter with the dead different from his stumbling upon the single dead soldier.
6. What is the reality of the situation during this first battle?
7. Explain how Henry begins to think about death.
8. Discuss Henry's moment of panic.
9. Describe the pipe smoking friend's attitude about marching and war.
10. How does the tattered man put another face on the victims of war?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)