|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sudden event takes place after the first retreat of the Rebels?
(a) They are ordered to march.
(b) The generals send new orders.
(c) They return.
(d) A storm arises.
2. How does Henry describe his months in camp?
(b) too short
3. What makes it difficult for them to make out anything in front of them?
(a) the smoke
(b) the rain
(c) the darkness
(d) the fog
4. How does Henry know that the Union forces had won this second battle?
(a) He overheard a cavalryman talking about it.
(b) He could hear their cheers from where he stood.
(c) When the gunshots stopped, the Union was not in retreat.
(d) He could see it from the tree he had climbed.
5. What describes the noises Henry hears coming from the Rebels?
(a) snarls, prayers, and cheers
(b) pipes and harmonicas
(c) curses and cries of pain
(d) songs and drum beats
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry see his current suffering?
2. What does Henry realize could happen to him as he runs down the road?
3. At twilight after running aimlessly in the woods, what sound does Henry hear?
4. When Henry meets up with a wounded man, what does the man want to know?
5. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reality of the situation during this first battle?
2. How would you describe the outcome of this first battle?
3. How does the camp react to the rumor of going to war tomorrow?
4. Describe the situation behind the lines near the battlefield as Henry comes close to war for the first time.
5. What is Henry's problem that keeps him from returning to his regiment right away?
6. What is happening all around Henry?
7. How does the tattered man put another face on the victims of war?
8. How successful is Henry at comparing himself to other of the troops?
9. How does Henry realize things are not going as they should?
10. Explain why Henry wanted to stop and observe the dead soldier.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)