Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the retreating men not see?
(a) the officers on horseback
(b) the river blocking their way
(c) the men of Henry's regiment
(d) the trees in the woods
2. How does Henry begin to imagine himself?
(a) as a leader to end all wars
(b) receiving a special commendation
(c) lying dead on a battlefield
(d) becoming a wise general
3. Why has Henry delayed so many times from enlisting in the army?
(a) because of his fear
(b) because of his age
(c) because of his dreams
(d) because of his mother
4. What makes Henry believe that at last his chance to prove himself has come?
(a) Many officers ride into camp from the front.
(b) The regiment is ordered to move.
(c) Extra firing practice is ordered.
(d) Sounds of battle get near the camp.
5. What does the lieutenant do to the boy who tries to run away?
(a) lets him go
(b) beats him
(c) shoots him
(d) kicks him
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Henry shooting and reloading as the Rebels arrive?
2. What does Henry realize about the tattered man?
3. What happens the morning after the rumor of going to war was circulated around the regiment?
4. What is Henry's reply when the tattered man asks again about his wounds?
5. As the Union soldiers get back into position, what is happening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reality of the situation during this first battle?
2. How does Henry mentally separate himself from other men?
3. How does Henry distinguish himself that day?
4. How does Henry realize things are not going as they should?
5. How has Wilson changed since the first days of military camp?
6. Explain how Henry begins to think about death.
7. What does Henry want to do when he happens upon a general astride a magnificent horse?
8. What action does Henry take when the regiment begins to show signs of running down?
9. What is the first rumor that gets started as a result of the battle?
10. What does Henry observe as weariness comes over his comrades?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)