|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Climbing over a fence, what does Henry discover?
(a) a cow he can milk to get something to fill his stomach
(b) a small group of other deserters
(c) the ground littered with the bodies of the dead and wounded
(d) a field of tall corn he can hide in
2. What becomes Henry's grandiose image of himself?
(a) as president of the United States
(b) as a great orator to uplift the world
(c) as a reformer to save the world
(d) as an angel possessing perfect existence
3. How does Henry describe Jim's wounds?
(a) like a split open watermelon
(b) like the hole in a doughnut
(c) like a butchered calf
(d) like his side was eaten by wolves
4. What does the tattered man say about wounds you cannot see?
(a) that they are usually fatal
(b) that they don't usually amount to much
(c) that often they are the worst ones
(d) that they don't leave a scar
5. When they stop running, what do the men begin to build?
(a) little hills out of anything they can find
(b) small fires to keep warm
(c) log cabins for the officers
(d) walls around their new camp
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry know that the Union forces had won this second battle?
2. What is Henry's initial reaction to the results of his first battle?
3. How does Henry imagine the battle sounds he hears at night?
4. What do the Union soldiers do as the Rebels advance?
5. What do the retreating men not see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what goes through Henry's mind as he contemplates going into battle.
2. How would you describe the outcome of this first battle?
3. How does Henry mentally separate himself from other men?
4. How does the tattered man put another face on the victims of war?
5. Describe Henry's mental condition after his first experience in battle.
6. Describe Henry as he waits for the advancing Rebel army.
7. How does the camp react to the rumor of going to war tomorrow?
8. What does Henry want to do when he happens upon a general astride a magnificent horse?
9. What particularly pleases Henry when he stops by his old school?
10. Explain why Henry wanted to stop and observe the dead soldier.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)