|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the colonel and other officers appear, what is he shouting?
(a) They must surrender.
(b) They must take cover.
(c) They must retreat.
(d) They must charge the enemy.
2. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
(a) talks to a man by the fire
(b) tries to get some sleep
(c) sits and stares into the fire
(d) begs for food and drink
3. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
(a) the mental and physical agonies he had suffered
(b) the peacefulness of his home
(c) the dark haired girl at his school
(d) wondering about his mother
4. As he comes closer to the enemy, what does Henry realize is a great opportunity?
(a) to show the men an opening
(b) to shoot the Rebel colonel
(c) to light a grass fire
(d) to capture the enemy flag
5. What is Henry's act of bravery?
(a) He defies the orders of the colonel.
(b) He moves ahead with the flag and urges the men to follow.
(c) He lets out a yell and charges the Rebels alone.
(d) He manages to carry the flag and shoot at the same time.
6. As Henry is observing the battle, what happens suddenly to frighten him?
(a) A bomb blast fall near him.
(b) Dark waves of men sweep out of the woods coming toward him.
(c) A lieutenant rides up near where he is hiding.
(d) Runaway horses begin to stampede.
7. What happens that begins to wear on the men's nerves?
(a) hours of dead silence from the Rebels
(b) rain that fills the trenches with water
(c) continuing rifle fire with no let up
(d) catcalls and Rebel yells
8. Who do Henry and his friend overhear on the road?
(a) the general and a major
(b) some Rebel officers
(c) a wounded soldier begging another soldier to shoot him
(d) two of their regiment planning to desert
9. After Henry's performance in the battle where he had to be called back to the line, how is Henry perceived by his peers?
(a) as a whirlwind
(b) as a coward
(c) as a war devil
(d) as a deceiver
10. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
(a) killing the enemy colonel
(b) setting fire to the enemy flag
(c) taking the enemy flag
(d) keeping their flag behind the lines
11. Describe the man who helps Henry locate his regiment?
(a) He is a cheery and kind old man.
(b) He is young and idealistic.
(c) He is stern and judgmental.
(d) He is gruff and uncompromising.
12. After the charge, how do the men know they are safe?
(a) Scouts report that the Rebels have retreated.
(b) The battle noises are now far away.
(c) The birds return to the trees.
(d) They are ordered to return to the battalion.
13. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) the dead soldier
(b) the yellow envelope
(c) Jim Conklin's death
(d) the corpses in the field
14. What do the officers expect to find among the men?
15. What dangerous undertaking does Henry do after the flag bearer is killed?
(a) He stands up and fires wildly.
(b) He runs into the trees to shoot whoever killed the flag bearer.
(c) He takes charge of carrying the flag.
(d) He runs to inform the lieutenant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Henry's dark thought about the enemy?
2. After Henry plants the flag in the ground, what happens?
3. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
4. How does Henry explain his absence from the regiment.
5. Coming to his senses, what does Henry realize?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)