|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
(a) the medics
(b) their sergeant
(c) their other friends in the regiment
(d) their lieutenant
2. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
(a) the joking soldier
(b) the loud soldier
(c) the tall soldier
(d) the singing soldier
3. What other secret do Henry and his friend share?
(a) that they will get extra pay for the charge
(b) that not many of the regiment will survive the charge
(c) that they will all receive medals for the charge
(d) that after the charge they will be sent home
4. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) the dead soldier
(b) the corpses in the field
(c) the yellow envelope
(d) Jim Conklin's death
5. As Henry is observing the battle, what happens suddenly to frighten him?
(a) Dark waves of men sweep out of the woods coming toward him.
(b) Runaway horses begin to stampede.
(c) A lieutenant rides up near where he is hiding.
(d) A bomb blast fall near him.
6. Who does Henry conclude would never rage at nature?
(a) a man who believes in God
(b) a man who never makes mistakes
(c) a man who doesn't think too much
(d) a man with a full stomach and self-respect
7. Who does Henry hope to impress one day?
(a) the people who live around his farm
(b) the students at his old school
(c) his mother and the dark haired girl
(d) his mother and her pastor
8. How does Henry rationalize his railing at nature while he was on the run?
(a) The doomed and the damned are allowed to do it.
(b) He didn't really mean it.
(c) He had been confused and disoriented.
(d) Hunger made him irrational.
9. What does the regiment know of the military machinery behind their orders to charge the Rebels?
(b) all the details
(c) exactly what the final plan is
(d) only when they will be relieved
10. What does Henry hear in the early morning?
(a) crickets chirping
(b) bugles in many camps
(c) thunder in the distance
(d) birds singing in the trees
11. After the battle is over when Henry distinguished himself, what do he and his friend attempt to do?
(a) start a marching song
(b) inspire the troops
(c) keep out of sight
(d) help a wounded soldier
12. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
(a) He is shot in the head.
(b) He is less enthusiastic.
(c) He stops giving orders.
(d) He falls off his horse.
13. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
(a) looking around for ways of escape
(b) quaking in their boots
(c) mostly standing still as though tied to stakes
(d) darting around to be more difficult targets
14. When the Rebels charge them again, how does Henry now feel?
(b) afraid again
15. What dangerous undertaking does Henry do after the flag bearer is killed?
(a) He takes charge of carrying the flag.
(b) He stands up and fires wildly.
(c) He runs into the trees to shoot whoever killed the flag bearer.
(d) He runs to inform the lieutenant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the officers expect to find among the men?
2. What happens as the smoke begins to clear?
3. What does Henry imagine himself doing sometime in the future?
4. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
5. What starts the battle in the forest?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)