|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
(a) killing the enemy colonel
(b) keeping their flag behind the lines
(c) taking the enemy flag
(d) setting fire to the enemy flag
2. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
(a) the tall soldier
(b) the joking soldier
(c) the singing soldier
(d) the loud soldier
3. Who do Henry and his friend overhear on the road?
(a) a wounded soldier begging another soldier to shoot him
(b) two of their regiment planning to desert
(c) the general and a major
(d) some Rebel officers
4. What conversation do the men have about the officer who called them mule drivers?
(a) How he ever got to be an officer.
(b) What they would do to him if they got the chance.
(c) How if they are the drivers, he is the mule.
(d) What a stupid man he is.
5. When the orders come, where is Henry's regiment gong?
(a) to relieve another regiment in the trenches
(b) back to base for more training
(c) to join other regiments about to charge the Rebels
(d) to circle around behind the Rebel army
6. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
(a) He is cursed as a deserter.
(b) He gets stabbed with a bayonet.
(c) He is told to shut up and run.
(d) He gets hit in the head with a rifle butt.
7. What is Henry's dark thought about the enemy?
(a) to see their families weep over their bodies
(b) to see them run in terror
(c) to see them swallowed up by the earth
(d) to see their faces contorted in fear
8. What does the regiment know of the military machinery behind their orders to charge the Rebels?
(a) all the details
(b) only when they will be relieved
(d) exactly what the final plan is
9. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
(a) looking around for ways of escape
(b) quaking in their boots
(c) mostly standing still as though tied to stakes
(d) darting around to be more difficult targets
10. What does a higher ranking officer do to the lieutenant?
(a) Orders him to report to the general.
(b) Gives him a commendation.
(c) Belittles him for not going farther.
(d) Relieves him of duty.
11. What does Henry surmise as the men swarm toward where he is?
(a) that the battle is lost
(b) that he will be trampled
(c) that they are looking for him
(d) that he had fallen asleep
12. What does his friend do to try and help Henry?
(a) check his bandage
(b) locate a rifle
(c) spoon feed him
(d) help him stand
13. After Henry plants the flag in the ground, what happens?
(a) The regiment loses heart and waits to die.
(b) Henry is shot but he refuses to fall.
(c) The Rebel charge comes near enough for Henry to look them in the eye.
(d) The regiment is uplifted by the sight of the flag and charges ahead.
14. Why is Henry only watching the action in this latest battle?
(a) His head wound is bothering him.
(b) He is still carrying the flag.
(c) He has lost his weapon.
(d) He is paralyzed by fear.
15. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
(a) the medics
(b) their sergeant
(c) their other friends in the regiment
(d) their lieutenant
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to be happening to Henry's perception as the shooting starts?
2. What surprises Henry about his head wound?
3. What does Henry see on the faces of sleeping soldiers?
4. What angers Henry this time as the battle begins?
5. What do the officers expect to find among the men?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)