|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
(a) their sergeant
(b) the medics
(c) their other friends in the regiment
(d) their lieutenant
2. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
(a) He is cursed as a deserter.
(b) He is told to shut up and run.
(c) He gets stabbed with a bayonet.
(d) He gets hit in the head with a rifle butt.
3. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
(a) the mental and physical agonies he had suffered
(b) wondering about his mother
(c) the peacefulness of his home
(d) the dark haired girl at his school
4. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) Jim Conklin's death
(b) the corpses in the field
(c) the yellow envelope
(d) the dead soldier
5. What conversation do the men have about the officer who called them mule drivers?
(a) What a stupid man he is.
(b) How he ever got to be an officer.
(c) What they would do to him if they got the chance.
(d) How if they are the drivers, he is the mule.
6. What causes the regiment to slow its advance against the Rebels?
(b) canon fire
(d) orders from the lieutenant
7. What is Henry's resolve during the battle?
(a) to help the lieutenant
(b) to write everyting down
(c) to look for escape
(d) not to move
8. What angers Henry this time as the battle begins?
(a) that the generals have not planned well
(b) that the insects keep buzzing around
(c) that he had had no time to recuperate
(d) that he does not have enough ammunition
9. What begins happening all around Henry?
(a) blue uniformed men are falling to the ground
(b) grass fires starting
(c) troops advancing from the rear
(d) bullets whizzing by his ears
10. After Henry's performance in the battle where he had to be called back to the line, how is Henry perceived by his peers?
(a) as a deceiver
(b) as a coward
(c) as a whirlwind
(d) as a war devil
11. When the Rebels charge them again, how does Henry now feel?
(c) afraid again
12. What does Henry surmise as the men swarm toward where he is?
(a) that he will be trampled
(b) that they are looking for him
(c) that the battle is lost
(d) that he had fallen asleep
13. Coming to his senses, what does Henry realize?
(a) He has to think up some good stories to tell.
(b) He is back with his regiment.
(c) He is starving.
(d) He needs to find another rifle.
14. Describe the man who helps Henry locate his regiment?
(a) He is stern and judgmental.
(b) He is young and idealistic.
(c) He is a cheery and kind old man.
(d) He is gruff and uncompromising.
15. What does Henry learn about other men in his regiment?
(a) They had stayed at the front the longest.
(b) They had wanted to surrender.
(c) They, too, got separated and are returning.
(d) They were ambushed and many of them killed.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
2. What do the men at the front of the unit do when they halt in some trees?
3. When the orders come, where is Henry's regiment gong?
4. Why must they charge the Rebels?
5. Once in position, what does Henry see?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)