|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens that begins to wear on the men's nerves?
(a) hours of dead silence from the Rebels
(b) rain that fills the trenches with water
(c) catcalls and Rebel yells
(d) continuing rifle fire with no let up
2. What happens when the shooting starts?
(a) A bugle sounds retreat.
(b) Men on the front line begin falling.
(c) The Rebels jump up and run.
(d) Henry runs away again.
3. When the colonel and other officers appear, what is he shouting?
(a) They must surrender.
(b) They must take cover.
(c) They must retreat.
(d) They must charge the enemy.
4. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
(a) setting fire to the enemy flag
(b) killing the enemy colonel
(c) keeping their flag behind the lines
(d) taking the enemy flag
5. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
(a) wondering about his mother
(b) the mental and physical agonies he had suffered
(c) the peacefulness of his home
(d) the dark haired girl at his school
6. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
(a) He is shot in the head.
(b) He is less enthusiastic.
(c) He falls off his horse.
(d) He stops giving orders.
7. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
(a) He is told to shut up and run.
(b) He is cursed as a deserter.
(c) He gets hit in the head with a rifle butt.
(d) He gets stabbed with a bayonet.
8. When the Rebels charge them again, how does Henry now feel?
(a) afraid again
9. How does Henry rationalize his railing at nature while he was on the run?
(a) He didn't really mean it.
(b) The doomed and the damned are allowed to do it.
(c) He had been confused and disoriented.
(d) Hunger made him irrational.
10. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) the yellow envelope
(b) the corpses in the field
(c) the dead soldier
(d) Jim Conklin's death
11. As the Rebels bear down on them, how does Henry feel?
(a) like a hunted animal
(b) like a man with a purpose
(c) like a charging bull
(d) like a fly on a tree
12. What causes the regiment to slow its advance against the Rebels?
(a) orders from the lieutenant
(b) canon fire
13. What starts the battle in the forest?
(a) a single gunshot
(b) a Rebel yell
(c) a canon blast
(d) an order from the lieutenant
14. What surprises Henry about his head wound?
(a) It doesn't hurt as much as he thought it would.
(b) It is bleeding profusely.
(c) It has blurred his vision.
(d) It feels like he is going to die.
15. What are the men doing in the forest as Henry nears his regiment?
(a) walking in circles
(b) getting ready to sleep
(c) looking for something to eat
(d) digging holes in the ground
Short Answer Questions
1. In the charge, what gives Henry momentum to keep going?
2. Why is Henry only watching the action in this latest battle?
3. How is this charge a turning point for the regiment?
4. Why do some of the men move back frantically?
5. Why must they charge the Rebels?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)