|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry explain his absence from the regiment.
(a) He says he was there all the time but no one saw him.
(b) He says a lieutenant sent him on an errand.
(c) He says his wound knocked him unconscious.
(d) He says he got separated and received a head wound.
2. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
(a) their sergeant
(b) their other friends in the regiment
(c) the medics
(d) their lieutenant
3. What is the sound Henry hears as he fixes his eyes on a clump of trees?
(a) a low, growling sound
(b) the Rebel yell
(c) the sound of laoding rigles
(d) the song of birds
4. As the Rebels bear down on them, how does Henry feel?
(a) like a fly on a tree
(b) like a hunted animal
(c) like a charging bull
(d) like a man with a purpose
5. What seems to be happening to Henry's perception as the shooting starts?
(a) He is blinded by gun powder.
(b) His vision blurs.
(c) He cannot see details.
(d) Everything seems sharper and clearer.
6. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) Jim Conklin's death
(b) the corpses in the field
(c) the yellow envelope
(d) the dead soldier
7. What does the lieutenant order the complaining men to do?
(a) be quiet and save their energy
(b) think good thoughts
(c) get some sleep
(d) start moving closer to the enemy
8. What is Henry's first impression as he wakes the next morning after returning to his regiment?
(a) He cannot remember where he is.
(b) He thinks that maybe the war is over.
(c) He wonders why everything is so quiet.
(d) He first thinks the sleeping men are corpses.
9. What is Henry's resolve during the battle?
(a) to help the lieutenant
(b) not to move
(c) to write everyting down
(d) to look for escape
10. What are the men doing in the forest as Henry nears his regiment?
(a) walking in circles
(b) looking for something to eat
(c) getting ready to sleep
(d) digging holes in the ground
11. As Henry is observing the battle, what happens suddenly to frighten him?
(a) Dark waves of men sweep out of the woods coming toward him.
(b) A lieutenant rides up near where he is hiding.
(c) Runaway horses begin to stampede.
(d) A bomb blast fall near him.
12. How does most of the regiment react to the news of their charge against the enemy?
(b) ralllying with anticipation
(c) with disbelief
(d) objecting loudly
13. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
(a) setting fire to the enemy flag
(b) killing the enemy colonel
(c) keeping their flag behind the lines
(d) taking the enemy flag
14. What does Henry imagine himself doing sometime in the future?
(a) writing a book about his adventures
(b) training young soldiers in rifle shooting
(c) telling his stories by candlelight in a parlor
(d) lecturing young men on going to war
15. What does Wilson help Henry do?
(a) find another rifle
(b) get treatment for his head injury
(c) locate a place to sleep
(d) get something to eat
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do some of the men move back frantically?
2. What does Henry surmise as the men swarm toward where he is?
3. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
4. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
5. What does a higher ranking officer do to the lieutenant?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)