|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
(a) sits and stares into the fire
(b) begs for food and drink
(c) tries to get some sleep
(d) talks to a man by the fire
2. What dangerous undertaking does Henry do after the flag bearer is killed?
(a) He runs to inform the lieutenant.
(b) He takes charge of carrying the flag.
(c) He stands up and fires wildly.
(d) He runs into the trees to shoot whoever killed the flag bearer.
3. What does the lieutenant order the complaining men to do?
(a) think good thoughts
(b) start moving closer to the enemy
(c) be quiet and save their energy
(d) get some sleep
4. What seems to be happening to Henry's perception as the shooting starts?
(a) Everything seems sharper and clearer.
(b) He cannot see details.
(c) His vision blurs.
(d) He is blinded by gun powder.
5. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
(a) He falls off his horse.
(b) He stops giving orders.
(c) He is less enthusiastic.
(d) He is shot in the head.
6. Where does Henry take refuge?
(a) behind a dead soldier
(b) behind a small tree
(c) in a cave
(d) under a wagon
7. What are the men doing in the forest as Henry nears his regiment?
(a) getting ready to sleep
(b) digging holes in the ground
(c) looking for something to eat
(d) walking in circles
8. What is Henry's dark thought about the enemy?
(a) to see them run in terror
(b) to see their families weep over their bodies
(c) to see them swallowed up by the earth
(d) to see their faces contorted in fear
9. Describe the man who helps Henry locate his regiment?
(a) He is young and idealistic.
(b) He is stern and judgmental.
(c) He is gruff and uncompromising.
(d) He is a cheery and kind old man.
10. As the men of the regiment fight like wild animals, what happens suddenly?
(a) Canons start firing.
(b) Henry loses the flag.
(c) Henry loses his rifle.
(d) The Rebels disappear.
11. What does a Major volunteer Henry's regiment to do?
(a) collect the bodies of the fallen
(b) return to base
(c) charge the enemy
(d) ambush the Rebels from behind
12. How is this charge a turning point for the regiment?
(a) They no longer fear death.
(b) They refuse to fight again.
(c) They learn how to reload faster.
(d) They now see that it is possible to win.
13. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) the dead soldier
(b) the corpses in the field
(c) Jim Conklin's death
(d) the yellow envelope
14. As Henry is observing the battle, what happens suddenly to frighten him?
(a) Runaway horses begin to stampede.
(b) Dark waves of men sweep out of the woods coming toward him.
(c) A lieutenant rides up near where he is hiding.
(d) A bomb blast fall near him.
15. How does most of the regiment react to the news of their charge against the enemy?
(a) objecting loudly
(b) with disbelief
(d) ralllying with anticipation
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a higher ranking officer do to the lieutenant?
2. What conversation do the men have about the officer who called them mule drivers?
3. What other secret do Henry and his friend share?
4. Who do Henry and his friend overhear on the road?
5. How does Henry explain his absence from the regiment.
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)