|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does most of the regiment react to the news of their charge against the enemy?
(a) with disbelief
(c) ralllying with anticipation
(d) objecting loudly
2. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
(a) He is told to shut up and run.
(b) He is cursed as a deserter.
(c) He gets stabbed with a bayonet.
(d) He gets hit in the head with a rifle butt.
3. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
(a) taking the enemy flag
(b) killing the enemy colonel
(c) setting fire to the enemy flag
(d) keeping their flag behind the lines
4. What does the lieutenant order the complaining men to do?
(a) think good thoughts
(b) start moving closer to the enemy
(c) be quiet and save their energy
(d) get some sleep
5. Who do Henry and his friend overhear on the road?
(a) the general and a major
(b) some Rebel officers
(c) a wounded soldier begging another soldier to shoot him
(d) two of their regiment planning to desert
6. After the charge, how do the men know they are safe?
(a) The birds return to the trees.
(b) The battle noises are now far away.
(c) Scouts report that the Rebels have retreated.
(d) They are ordered to return to the battalion.
7. How does Henry explain his absence from the regiment.
(a) He says a lieutenant sent him on an errand.
(b) He says his wound knocked him unconscious.
(c) He says he got separated and received a head wound.
(d) He says he was there all the time but no one saw him.
8. In the charge, what gives Henry momentum to keep going?
(a) the drums and bugles
(b) the shouts of the lieutenant
(c) the red, white, and blue flag
(d) the sport of the kill
9. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
(a) He stops giving orders.
(b) He is shot in the head.
(c) He falls off his horse.
(d) He is less enthusiastic.
10. Once in position, what does Henry see?
(a) a long stretch of cleared wood with flashes of rifle fire
(b) a long clearing with sandbag walls on the far side
(c) a row of Rebel canons aimed in his direction
(d) a long stretch of burned out forest
11. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) Jim Conklin's death
(b) the dead soldier
(c) the yellow envelope
(d) the corpses in the field
12. How close is the enemy at this time?
(a) close enough to hit with a stone
(b) close enough to see their faces
(c) close enough to fight hand to hand
(d) close enough to hear what they say
13. When the Rebels charge them again, how does Henry now feel?
(b) afraid again
14. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
(a) their lieutenant
(b) their sergeant
(c) their other friends in the regiment
(d) the medics
15. What does Henry surmise as the men swarm toward where he is?
(a) that he had fallen asleep
(b) that he will be trampled
(c) that they are looking for him
(d) that the battle is lost
Short Answer Questions
1. Coming to his senses, what does Henry realize?
2. What does Henry see on the faces of sleeping soldiers?
3. What dangerous undertaking does Henry do after the flag bearer is killed?
4. What does Henry imagine himself doing sometime in the future?
5. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)