|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
(a) tries to get some sleep
(b) sits and stares into the fire
(c) begs for food and drink
(d) talks to a man by the fire
2. Who does Henry spot as he approaches his regiment?
(c) the lieutenant
(d) the sergeant
3. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
(a) looking around for ways of escape
(b) quaking in their boots
(c) mostly standing still as though tied to stakes
(d) darting around to be more difficult targets
4. Why must they charge the Rebels?
(a) They are surrounded.
(b) It is their only hope.
(c) They cannot retreat.
(d) It is getting late in the day.
5. What conversation do the men have about the officer who called them mule drivers?
(a) What a stupid man he is.
(b) How he ever got to be an officer.
(c) How if they are the drivers, he is the mule.
(d) What they would do to him if they got the chance.
6. What is the sound Henry hears as he fixes his eyes on a clump of trees?
(a) the sound of laoding rigles
(b) the Rebel yell
(c) the song of birds
(d) a low, growling sound
7. What does Henry imagine himself doing sometime in the future?
(a) training young soldiers in rifle shooting
(b) lecturing young men on going to war
(c) telling his stories by candlelight in a parlor
(d) writing a book about his adventures
8. Who does Henry hope to impress one day?
(a) his mother and the dark haired girl
(b) his mother and her pastor
(c) the people who live around his farm
(d) the students at his old school
9. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
(a) the peacefulness of his home
(b) wondering about his mother
(c) the mental and physical agonies he had suffered
(d) the dark haired girl at his school
10. Who does Henry conclude would never rage at nature?
(a) a man who never makes mistakes
(b) a man with a full stomach and self-respect
(c) a man who doesn't think too much
(d) a man who believes in God
11. After the charge, how do the men know they are safe?
(a) The birds return to the trees.
(b) Scouts report that the Rebels have retreated.
(c) They are ordered to return to the battalion.
(d) The battle noises are now far away.
12. What seems to be happening to Henry's perception as the shooting starts?
(a) He cannot see details.
(b) His vision blurs.
(c) He is blinded by gun powder.
(d) Everything seems sharper and clearer.
13. After Henry plants the flag in the ground, what happens?
(a) The regiment loses heart and waits to die.
(b) The regiment is uplifted by the sight of the flag and charges ahead.
(c) Henry is shot but he refuses to fall.
(d) The Rebel charge comes near enough for Henry to look them in the eye.
14. What does his friend do to try and help Henry?
(a) check his bandage
(b) spoon feed him
(c) help him stand
(d) locate a rifle
15. What does a Major volunteer Henry's regiment to do?
(a) charge the enemy
(b) ambush the Rebels from behind
(c) return to base
(d) collect the bodies of the fallen
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
2. What effect does the report of the lieutenant's chastisement have on the troops?
3. What are the men doing in the forest as Henry nears his regiment?
4. After the battle is over when Henry distinguished himself, what do he and his friend attempt to do?
5. What does the lieutenant order the complaining men to do?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)