|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry feel about the enemy?
(a) that there are so many of them
(b) that they give up too easily
(c) that they are better shots than the Union soldiers
(d) that they never seem to tire
2. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
(a) He is less enthusiastic.
(b) He falls off his horse.
(c) He stops giving orders.
(d) He is shot in the head.
3. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
(a) He is cursed as a deserter.
(b) He gets stabbed with a bayonet.
(c) He gets hit in the head with a rifle butt.
(d) He is told to shut up and run.
4. What is Henry advised to avoid putting pressure on his head wound?
(a) not to bump his head on a tree limb
(b) not to touch the bandage
(c) not to go to sleep
(d) not to talk or yell
5. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
(a) their lieutenant
(b) the medics
(c) their other friends in the regiment
(d) their sergeant
6. After the battle is over when Henry distinguished himself, what do he and his friend attempt to do?
(a) keep out of sight
(b) inspire the troops
(c) help a wounded soldier
(d) start a marching song
7. What conversation do the men have about the officer who called them mule drivers?
(a) What a stupid man he is.
(b) What they would do to him if they got the chance.
(c) How he ever got to be an officer.
(d) How if they are the drivers, he is the mule.
8. What does Wilson help Henry do?
(a) locate a place to sleep
(b) find another rifle
(c) get treatment for his head injury
(d) get something to eat
9. What effect does the report of the lieutenant's chastisement have on the troops?
(a) makes them laugh
(b) makes them resolved to do better next time
(c) raises their hopes
(d) lowers their morale
10. What does the regiment know of the military machinery behind their orders to charge the Rebels?
(b) only when they will be relieved
(c) all the details
(d) exactly what the final plan is
11. What does Henry see on the faces of sleeping soldiers?
12. What surprises Henry about his head wound?
(a) It has blurred his vision.
(b) It feels like he is going to die.
(c) It doesn't hurt as much as he thought it would.
(d) It is bleeding profusely.
13. What do the officers expect to find among the men?
14. What is Henry's act of bravery?
(a) He defies the orders of the colonel.
(b) He manages to carry the flag and shoot at the same time.
(c) He lets out a yell and charges the Rebels alone.
(d) He moves ahead with the flag and urges the men to follow.
15. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
(a) the tall soldier
(b) the joking soldier
(c) the singing soldier
(d) the loud soldier
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens that begins to wear on the men's nerves?
2. What is Henry's first impression as he wakes the next morning after returning to his regiment?
3. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
4. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
5. What is Henry's dark thought about the enemy?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)