|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the men doing in the forest as Henry nears his regiment?
(a) getting ready to sleep
(b) looking for something to eat
(c) walking in circles
(d) digging holes in the ground
2. What does a higher ranking officer do to the lieutenant?
(a) Orders him to report to the general.
(b) Gives him a commendation.
(c) Relieves him of duty.
(d) Belittles him for not going farther.
3. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
(a) He is told to shut up and run.
(b) He is cursed as a deserter.
(c) He gets hit in the head with a rifle butt.
(d) He gets stabbed with a bayonet.
4. What does Wilson help Henry do?
(a) find another rifle
(b) get something to eat
(c) get treatment for his head injury
(d) locate a place to sleep
5. Who do Henry and his friend overhear on the road?
(a) a wounded soldier begging another soldier to shoot him
(b) the general and a major
(c) two of their regiment planning to desert
(d) some Rebel officers
6. What do the officers expect to find among the men?
7. What does Henry surmise as the men swarm toward where he is?
(a) that he had fallen asleep
(b) that the battle is lost
(c) that he will be trampled
(d) that they are looking for him
8. What effect does the report of the lieutenant's chastisement have on the troops?
(a) lowers their morale
(b) makes them laugh
(c) raises their hopes
(d) makes them resolved to do better next time
9. What does Henry see on the faces of sleeping soldiers?
10. After Henry plants the flag in the ground, what happens?
(a) Henry is shot but he refuses to fall.
(b) The Rebel charge comes near enough for Henry to look them in the eye.
(c) The regiment loses heart and waits to die.
(d) The regiment is uplifted by the sight of the flag and charges ahead.
11. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
(a) darting around to be more difficult targets
(b) quaking in their boots
(c) looking around for ways of escape
(d) mostly standing still as though tied to stakes
12. What happens as the smoke begins to clear?
(a) The men begin to cheer.
(b) Henry lets go of the flag.
(c) The bugles sound another charge.
(d) The Rebels are charging Henry's regiment.
13. What does Henry hear in the early morning?
(a) bugles in many camps
(b) crickets chirping
(c) thunder in the distance
(d) birds singing in the trees
14. Who is the officer who chastises the lieutenant?
(a) the one who carrys the battalion flag
(b) the one who advises the general
(c) the one who lost his horse
(d) the one who called them mule drivers
15. In the charge, what gives Henry momentum to keep going?
(a) the shouts of the lieutenant
(b) the red, white, and blue flag
(c) the sport of the kill
(d) the drums and bugles
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
2. Where does Henry take refuge?
3. What happens when the shooting starts?
4. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
5. What is Henry advised to avoid putting pressure on his head wound?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)