|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Henry is observing the battle, what happens suddenly to frighten him?
(a) Runaway horses begin to stampede.
(b) A lieutenant rides up near where he is hiding.
(c) A bomb blast fall near him.
(d) Dark waves of men sweep out of the woods coming toward him.
2. After the battle is over when Henry distinguished himself, what do he and his friend attempt to do?
(a) inspire the troops
(b) start a marching song
(c) keep out of sight
(d) help a wounded soldier
3. Where does Henry take refuge?
(a) in a cave
(b) behind a dead soldier
(c) under a wagon
(d) behind a small tree
4. What does the lieutenant order the complaining men to do?
(a) get some sleep
(b) be quiet and save their energy
(c) start moving closer to the enemy
(d) think good thoughts
5. What starts the battle in the forest?
(a) a Rebel yell
(b) a single gunshot
(c) a canon blast
(d) an order from the lieutenant
6. What is Henry's resolve during the battle?
(a) to look for escape
(b) to help the lieutenant
(c) not to move
(d) to write everyting down
7. How does Henry rationalize his railing at nature while he was on the run?
(a) Hunger made him irrational.
(b) He didn't really mean it.
(c) The doomed and the damned are allowed to do it.
(d) He had been confused and disoriented.
8. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
(a) keeping their flag behind the lines
(b) taking the enemy flag
(c) killing the enemy colonel
(d) setting fire to the enemy flag
9. What is the sound Henry hears as he fixes his eyes on a clump of trees?
(a) a low, growling sound
(b) the Rebel yell
(c) the sound of laoding rigles
(d) the song of birds
10. Once in position, what does Henry see?
(a) a row of Rebel canons aimed in his direction
(b) a long clearing with sandbag walls on the far side
(c) a long stretch of cleared wood with flashes of rifle fire
(d) a long stretch of burned out forest
11. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
(a) the joking soldier
(b) the tall soldier
(c) the loud soldier
(d) the singing soldier
12. How does most of the regiment react to the news of their charge against the enemy?
(a) with disbelief
(b) objecting loudly
(d) ralllying with anticipation
13. How is this charge a turning point for the regiment?
(a) They refuse to fight again.
(b) They no longer fear death.
(c) They now see that it is possible to win.
(d) They learn how to reload faster.
14. As the Rebels bear down on them, how does Henry feel?
(a) like a man with a purpose
(b) like a charging bull
(c) like a hunted animal
(d) like a fly on a tree
15. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
(a) tries to get some sleep
(b) talks to a man by the fire
(c) begs for food and drink
(d) sits and stares into the fire
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
2. What dangerous undertaking does Henry do after the flag bearer is killed?
3. In the charge, what gives Henry momentum to keep going?
4. After Henry plants the flag in the ground, what happens?
5. Who do Henry and his friend overhear on the road?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)