|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What begins happening all around Henry?
(a) troops advancing from the rear
(b) bullets whizzing by his ears
(c) grass fires starting
(d) blue uniformed men are falling to the ground
2. Why is Henry only watching the action in this latest battle?
(a) He has lost his weapon.
(b) He is paralyzed by fear.
(c) He is still carrying the flag.
(d) His head wound is bothering him.
3. Describe the man who helps Henry locate his regiment?
(a) He is gruff and uncompromising.
(b) He is young and idealistic.
(c) He is stern and judgmental.
(d) He is a cheery and kind old man.
4. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
(a) wondering about his mother
(b) the dark haired girl at his school
(c) the peacefulness of his home
(d) the mental and physical agonies he had suffered
5. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
(a) talks to a man by the fire
(b) begs for food and drink
(c) tries to get some sleep
(d) sits and stares into the fire
6. In the charge, what gives Henry momentum to keep going?
(a) the sport of the kill
(b) the drums and bugles
(c) the shouts of the lieutenant
(d) the red, white, and blue flag
7. What surprises Henry about his head wound?
(a) It has blurred his vision.
(b) It doesn't hurt as much as he thought it would.
(c) It feels like he is going to die.
(d) It is bleeding profusely.
8. What angers Henry this time as the battle begins?
(a) that he does not have enough ammunition
(b) that the generals have not planned well
(c) that he had had no time to recuperate
(d) that the insects keep buzzing around
9. Who do Henry and his friend tell what they have overheard?
(a) their lieutenant
(b) their sergeant
(c) their other friends in the regiment
(d) the medics
10. What happens that begins to wear on the men's nerves?
(a) catcalls and Rebel yells
(b) hours of dead silence from the Rebels
(c) rain that fills the trenches with water
(d) continuing rifle fire with no let up
11. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
(a) the loud soldier
(b) the tall soldier
(c) the singing soldier
(d) the joking soldier
12. What does Henry see on the faces of sleeping soldiers?
13. As he comes closer to the enemy, what does Henry realize is a great opportunity?
(a) to capture the enemy flag
(b) to light a grass fire
(c) to show the men an opening
(d) to shoot the Rebel colonel
14. How does Henry rationalize his railing at nature while he was on the run?
(a) The doomed and the damned are allowed to do it.
(b) He had been confused and disoriented.
(c) Hunger made him irrational.
(d) He didn't really mean it.
15. What other secret do Henry and his friend share?
(a) that they will all receive medals for the charge
(b) that not many of the regiment will survive the charge
(c) that they will get extra pay for the charge
(d) that after the charge they will be sent home
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
2. After Henry plants the flag in the ground, what happens?
3. What does Wilson help Henry do?
4. What is Henry's dark thought about the enemy?
5. What does his friend do to try and help Henry?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)