|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wilson help Henry do?
(a) get something to eat
(b) get treatment for his head injury
(c) locate a place to sleep
(d) find another rifle
2. What starts the battle in the forest?
(a) a single gunshot
(b) an order from the lieutenant
(c) a Rebel yell
(d) a canon blast
3. After the charge, how do the men know they are safe?
(a) Scouts report that the Rebels have retreated.
(b) The birds return to the trees.
(c) They are ordered to return to the battalion.
(d) The battle noises are now far away.
4. What do the officers expect to find among the men?
5. Who does Henry spot as he approaches his regiment?
(c) the lieutenant
(d) the sergeant
6. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
(a) the peacefulness of his home
(b) the dark haired girl at his school
(c) wondering about his mother
(d) the mental and physical agonies he had suffered
7. After the battle is over when Henry distinguished himself, what do he and his friend attempt to do?
(a) start a marching song
(b) keep out of sight
(c) help a wounded soldier
(d) inspire the troops
8. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
(a) He gets stabbed with a bayonet.
(b) He is told to shut up and run.
(c) He gets hit in the head with a rifle butt.
(d) He is cursed as a deserter.
9. What effect does the report of the lieutenant's chastisement have on the troops?
(a) lowers their morale
(b) makes them laugh
(c) makes them resolved to do better next time
(d) raises their hopes
10. What seems to be happening to Henry's perception as the shooting starts?
(a) His vision blurs.
(b) He cannot see details.
(c) Everything seems sharper and clearer.
(d) He is blinded by gun powder.
11. When the orders come, where is Henry's regiment gong?
(a) to circle around behind the Rebel army
(b) back to base for more training
(c) to join other regiments about to charge the Rebels
(d) to relieve another regiment in the trenches
12. What begins happening all around Henry?
(a) troops advancing from the rear
(b) grass fires starting
(c) blue uniformed men are falling to the ground
(d) bullets whizzing by his ears
13. What is Henry's act of bravery?
(a) He moves ahead with the flag and urges the men to follow.
(b) He manages to carry the flag and shoot at the same time.
(c) He defies the orders of the colonel.
(d) He lets out a yell and charges the Rebels alone.
14. As he comes closer to the enemy, what does Henry realize is a great opportunity?
(a) to show the men an opening
(b) to shoot the Rebel colonel
(c) to light a grass fire
(d) to capture the enemy flag
15. What surprises Henry about his head wound?
(a) It doesn't hurt as much as he thought it would.
(b) It feels like he is going to die.
(c) It has blurred his vision.
(d) It is bleeding profusely.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
2. What is Henry's dark thought about the enemy?
3. What dangerous undertaking does Henry do after the flag bearer is killed?
4. When the Rebels charge them again, how does Henry now feel?
5. What does Henry imagine himself doing sometime in the future?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)