|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the regiment know of the military machinery behind their orders to charge the Rebels?
(a) exactly what the final plan is
(b) only when they will be relieved
(d) all the details
2. What is Henry's act of bravery?
(a) He manages to carry the flag and shoot at the same time.
(b) He defies the orders of the colonel.
(c) He moves ahead with the flag and urges the men to follow.
(d) He lets out a yell and charges the Rebels alone.
3. What effect does the report of the lieutenant's chastisement have on the troops?
(a) lowers their morale
(b) makes them resolved to do better next time
(c) raises their hopes
(d) makes them laugh
4. What seems to be happening to Henry's perception as the shooting starts?
(a) Everything seems sharper and clearer.
(b) His vision blurs.
(c) He is blinded by gun powder.
(d) He cannot see details.
5. What is Henry's resolve during the battle?
(a) to help the lieutenant
(b) not to move
(c) to write everyting down
(d) to look for escape
6. Once in position, what does Henry see?
(a) a long clearing with sandbag walls on the far side
(b) a row of Rebel canons aimed in his direction
(c) a long stretch of cleared wood with flashes of rifle fire
(d) a long stretch of burned out forest
7. What does his friend do to try and help Henry?
(a) locate a rifle
(b) spoon feed him
(c) check his bandage
(d) help him stand
8. When the orders come, where is Henry's regiment gong?
(a) back to base for more training
(b) to circle around behind the Rebel army
(c) to join other regiments about to charge the Rebels
(d) to relieve another regiment in the trenches
9. What happens when the shooting starts?
(a) The Rebels jump up and run.
(b) Men on the front line begin falling.
(c) A bugle sounds retreat.
(d) Henry runs away again.
10. Where does Henry take refuge?
(a) behind a dead soldier
(b) under a wagon
(c) behind a small tree
(d) in a cave
11. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
(a) He is told to shut up and run.
(b) He gets stabbed with a bayonet.
(c) He is cursed as a deserter.
(d) He gets hit in the head with a rifle butt.
12. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) the corpses in the field
(b) the yellow envelope
(c) Jim Conklin's death
(d) the dead soldier
13. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
(a) begs for food and drink
(b) talks to a man by the fire
(c) sits and stares into the fire
(d) tries to get some sleep
14. What happens as the smoke begins to clear?
(a) The men begin to cheer.
(b) The Rebels are charging Henry's regiment.
(c) The bugles sound another charge.
(d) Henry lets go of the flag.
15. As he comes closer to the enemy, what does Henry realize is a great opportunity?
(a) to show the men an opening
(b) to shoot the Rebel colonel
(c) to capture the enemy flag
(d) to light a grass fire
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe the man who helps Henry locate his regiment?
2. What does Henry hear in the early morning?
3. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
4. What conversation do the men have about the officer who called them mule drivers?
5. What is Henry's first impression as he wakes the next morning after returning to his regiment?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)