|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he comes closer to the enemy, what does Henry realize is a great opportunity?
(a) to shoot the Rebel colonel
(b) to capture the enemy flag
(c) to light a grass fire
(d) to show the men an opening
2. After Henry plants the flag in the ground, what happens?
(a) The regiment is uplifted by the sight of the flag and charges ahead.
(b) The regiment loses heart and waits to die.
(c) The Rebel charge comes near enough for Henry to look them in the eye.
(d) Henry is shot but he refuses to fall.
3. What does the regiment know of the military machinery behind their orders to charge the Rebels?
(b) all the details
(c) only when they will be relieved
(d) exactly what the final plan is
4. What are the men doing in the forest as Henry nears his regiment?
(a) digging holes in the ground
(b) getting ready to sleep
(c) looking for something to eat
(d) walking in circles
5. What is Henry advised to avoid putting pressure on his head wound?
(a) not to touch the bandage
(b) not to go to sleep
(c) not to bump his head on a tree limb
(d) not to talk or yell
6. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
(a) the peacefulness of his home
(b) the mental and physical agonies he had suffered
(c) wondering about his mother
(d) the dark haired girl at his school
7. How is this charge a turning point for the regiment?
(a) They no longer fear death.
(b) They refuse to fight again.
(c) They now see that it is possible to win.
(d) They learn how to reload faster.
8. What does a higher ranking officer do to the lieutenant?
(a) Relieves him of duty.
(b) Gives him a commendation.
(c) Orders him to report to the general.
(d) Belittles him for not going farther.
9. How does most of the regiment react to the news of their charge against the enemy?
(a) ralllying with anticipation
(b) with disbelief
(d) objecting loudly
10. Why is Henry only watching the action in this latest battle?
(a) His head wound is bothering him.
(b) He is still carrying the flag.
(c) He is paralyzed by fear.
(d) He has lost his weapon.
11. Who is the friend that Henry notices has changed since he last saw him?
(a) the tall soldier
(b) the singing soldier
(c) the joking soldier
(d) the loud soldier
12. Describe the man who helps Henry locate his regiment?
(a) He is young and idealistic.
(b) He is stern and judgmental.
(c) He is gruff and uncompromising.
(d) He is a cheery and kind old man.
13. What does Henry recall while waiting for marching orders?
(a) the dead soldier
(b) the corpses in the field
(c) Jim Conklin's death
(d) the yellow envelope
14. What is Henry's resolve during the battle?
(a) to help the lieutenant
(b) to write everyting down
(c) not to move
(d) to look for escape
15. As the regiment weakens, what is the effect on the lieutenant?
(a) He falls off his horse.
(b) He is less enthusiastic.
(c) He is shot in the head.
(d) He stops giving orders.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the orders come, where is Henry's regiment gong?
2. What causes the regiment to slow its advance against the Rebels?
3. What angers Henry this time as the battle begins?
4. How does Henry explain his absence from the regiment.
5. After the charge, how do the men know they are safe?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)