|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the officers expect to find among the men?
2. What is Henry's resolve during the battle?
(a) not to move
(b) to help the lieutenant
(c) to look for escape
(d) to write everyting down
3. What does Henry see on the faces of sleeping soldiers?
4. Why is Henry only watching the action in this latest battle?
(a) His head wound is bothering him.
(b) He has lost his weapon.
(c) He is paralyzed by fear.
(d) He is still carrying the flag.
5. What happens as the smoke begins to clear?
(a) The bugles sound another charge.
(b) The men begin to cheer.
(c) Henry lets go of the flag.
(d) The Rebels are charging Henry's regiment.
6. What conversation do the men have about the officer who called them mule drivers?
(a) How he ever got to be an officer.
(b) What a stupid man he is.
(c) What they would do to him if they got the chance.
(d) How if they are the drivers, he is the mule.
7. What happens when the shooting starts?
(a) A bugle sounds retreat.
(b) The Rebels jump up and run.
(c) Henry runs away again.
(d) Men on the front line begin falling.
8. What dangerous undertaking does Henry do after the flag bearer is killed?
(a) He stands up and fires wildly.
(b) He takes charge of carrying the flag.
(c) He runs to inform the lieutenant.
(d) He runs into the trees to shoot whoever killed the flag bearer.
9. What happens when Henry asks one of the soldiers what is happening?
(a) He gets hit in the head with a rifle butt.
(b) He is cursed as a deserter.
(c) He is told to shut up and run.
(d) He gets stabbed with a bayonet.
10. After getting his wound treated, what does Henry do?
(a) talks to a man by the fire
(b) begs for food and drink
(c) tries to get some sleep
(d) sits and stares into the fire
11. What begins happening all around Henry?
(a) blue uniformed men are falling to the ground
(b) bullets whizzing by his ears
(c) grass fires starting
(d) troops advancing from the rear
12. Coming to his senses, what does Henry realize?
(a) He needs to find another rifle.
(b) He has to think up some good stories to tell.
(c) He is back with his regiment.
(d) He is starving.
13. What do Henry and his friend succeed in doing?
(a) taking the enemy flag
(b) setting fire to the enemy flag
(c) keeping their flag behind the lines
(d) killing the enemy colonel
14. When the colonel and other officers appear, what is he shouting?
(a) They must charge the enemy.
(b) They must retreat.
(c) They must surrender.
(d) They must take cover.
15. After the battle is over when Henry distinguished himself, what do he and his friend attempt to do?
(a) inspire the troops
(b) start a marching song
(c) help a wounded soldier
(d) keep out of sight
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sound Henry hears as he fixes his eyes on a clump of trees?
2. How does Henry rationalize his railing at nature while he was on the run?
3. What does the regiment know of the military machinery behind their orders to charge the Rebels?
4. How does Henry feel about the enemy?
5. What returns to Henry in his thoughts as he waits for orders?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)