|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Henry ordered to get Jim off the road?
(a) A battery is approaching.
(b) There are holes in the road.
(c) Snipers may shoot him.
(d) He is walking too slow.
2. What is Henry's first impulse as he watches the battle?
(a) to kill himself
(b) to give up and go home
(c) to return and fight
(d) to wound himself
3. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
(a) more alone than ever
(b) sure that he will not run away
(c) proud that he has such a friend
(d) sure now that he will run away from battle
4. At what is Henry's anger directed during the battle?
(a) the noise
(b) the heat
(c) the lieutenants
(d) the smoke
5. When they stop running, what do the men begin to build?
(a) log cabins for the officers
(b) little hills out of anything they can find
(c) small fires to keep warm
(d) walls around their new camp
6. How does Henry begin to imagine himself?
(a) becoming a wise general
(b) receiving a special commendation
(c) lying dead on a battlefield
(d) as a leader to end all wars
7. How does Henry regard himself in comparison to the ones who stayed to fight?
(a) as being more of a hero than they
(b) as having superior intellect
(c) as being more stupid than his comrades
(d) as physically weaker than the ones who stayed
8. What happens the morning after the rumor of going to war was circulated around the regiment?
(a) a parade
(b) an officers meeting
(c) a forced march to the front
(d) nothing happens
9. Who impresses Henry when he stops by the school to say good-bye?
(a) the school master
(b) the boys on the playground
(c) a dark haired girl
(d) the mayor of the town
10. What are all the men doing after the battle?
(a) thanking God
(c) keeping quiet
(d) making small talk
11. What is Henry's last view of the tattered man?
(a) falling under the wheels of a caisson
(b) walking aimlessly in a field
(c) headed back the wrong way
(d) falling on his face in the road
12. What amazes Henry after the Rebels retreat?
(a) that he is still alive
(b) that the sky is still blue
(c) that his ears are still ringing
(d) that he cannot stand up
13. What is Henry's reply when the tattered man asks again about his wounds?
(a) that his wound is under his shirt and the bandages stopped the bleeding
(b) that he was knocked unconscious and his head hurts
(c) that he doesn't want to talk about it
(d) that his wound is a broken hand that cannot fire a gun
14. How does Henry picture the advancing Rebels?
(a) as an advancing freight train
(b) as a swarm of bees
(c) as a red and green dragon
(d) as a great cloud of thunder
15. Where does Henry's mother think he could be put to better use than in the army?
(a) in a schoolroom
(b) in the navy
(c) as a postman
(d) on the farm
Short Answer Questions
1. What puts Henry to sleep the first night in the new camp?
2. What does one of Henry's tent mates ask him to do?
3. What does Henry think the lieutenant is lacking?
4. What immobilizes Henry to prevent him for seeking out his regiment?
5. What rumor passing through the regiment begins the novel?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)