|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry's reply when the tattered man asks again about his wounds?
(a) that he was knocked unconscious and his head hurts
(b) that his wound is under his shirt and the bandages stopped the bleeding
(c) that he doesn't want to talk about it
(d) that his wound is a broken hand that cannot fire a gun
2. Why is Henry ordered to get Jim off the road?
(a) A battery is approaching.
(b) He is walking too slow.
(c) There are holes in the road.
(d) Snipers may shoot him.
3. What does it feel like to Henry as he waits for the Rebels to charge?
(a) like being buried alive
(b) like suffocating in a vat of oil
(c) like waiting for a parade to start when the circus comes to his village
(d) like what he imagines the judgment day is like
4. What are all the men doing after the battle?
(b) thanking God
(c) keeping quiet
(d) making small talk
5. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
(a) washing clothes
(b) praying and quivering
(c) hitching up the plow horse
(d) waving good-bye
6. What destroys Henry's rationalization about nature prompting him to run?
(a) some wounded soldiers rejoicing over the victory
(b) a rainstorm that comes up suddenly
(c) the sight of the dead man with the ants crawling over his skin
(d) a squirrel being eaten by a stray cat
7. What does Henry first blame for his guilty condition?
(a) the man in front of him who ran
(d) the generals
8. Why has Henry delayed so many times from enlisting in the army?
(a) because of his mother
(b) because of his fear
(c) because of his age
(d) because of his dreams
9. What is the feeling among the regiment?
(a) The Union soldiers will all be massacred.
(b) The Rebels will be defeated in no time.
(c) They will have to fight on empty stomachs today.
(d) The battle will take weeks.
10. How does he think men perceive him?
(a) as a greased pig
(b) as a worm in an apple
(c) as a mindless monkey
(d) as a piece of trash
11. Instinctively, what does Henry feel about the future?
(a) He is hopelessly lost.
(b) He will work his way out of his predicament.
(c) He will have to live in exile.
(d) His mother will not welcome him home.
12. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
(a) sure now that he will run away from battle
(b) more alone than ever
(c) proud that he has such a friend
(d) sure that he will not run away
13. What causes Henry's moment of panic?
(a) He is momentarily blinded by the smoke.
(b) He remembers thinking about running.
(c) He remembers he forgot to pray that morning.
(d) He doesn't remember loading his rifle.
14. What amazes Henry after the Rebels retreat?
(a) that his ears are still ringing
(b) that he is still alive
(c) that the sky is still blue
(d) that he cannot stand up
15. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
(a) make jokes
(b) hold hands
(c) shed their knapsacks
Short Answer Questions
1. As the noise of the battle grows louder, what does Henry see that confuses him?
2. How does the whole scene appear to Henry?
3. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
4. When Henry meets up with a wounded man, what does the man want to know?
5. How does Henry's question about his bravery continue?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)