|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry begin to think it would be better to be killed?
(a) to teach a lesson to the lieutenant
(b) to get some rest
(c) to escape his duty
(d) to have his troubles ended
2. What rumor passing through the regiment begins the novel?
(a) that Rebs have surrounded the camp
(b) that Lincoln has been shot
(c) that they will fight tomorrow
(d) that the war is over
3. Where does Henry go to collect his thoughts?
(a) away from camp to lie in the grass
(b) to the camp chaplain
(c) into his tent
(d) down by a stream
4. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
(a) shed their knapsacks
(b) hold hands
(c) make jokes
5. What does the lieutenant do to the boy who tries to run away?
(a) lets him go
(b) beats him
(c) kicks him
(d) shoots him
6. What puts Henry to sleep the first night in the new camp?
(a) a soldier playing a harmonica
(b) exhaustion from the day's march
(c) reflections of fire on the wall of his tent
(d) the voices of men gathered around a fire
7. How does Henry describe Jim's wounds?
(a) like his side was eaten by wolves
(b) like a butchered calf
(c) like a split open watermelon
(d) like the hole in a doughnut
8. What does one young man of the battalion do at the first volley?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He runs.
(c) He covers his head with both hands.
(d) He stands up.
9. Why has Henry delayed so many times from enlisting in the army?
(a) because of his fear
(b) because of his age
(c) because of his mother
(d) because of his dreams
10. What does Henry think the lieutenant is lacking?
(a) a plan of attack
(b) his horse
(c) a loaded rifle
(d) any appreciation for fine minds
11. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
(a) sure that he will not run away
(b) more alone than ever
(c) sure now that he will run away from battle
(d) proud that he has such a friend
12. How does Henry picture the advancing Rebels?
(a) as a swarm of bees
(b) as a great cloud of thunder
(c) as a red and green dragon
(d) as an advancing freight train
13. What does Henry feel at times about the wounded men?
14. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
(a) back to the same ground it had taken in the morning
(b) back to Washington D. C.
(c) back to the original camp
(d) over near the banks of a river
15. As the noise of the battle grows louder, what does Henry see that confuses him?
(a) the Rebels being pushed back
(b) men leaving the battlefield
(c) fewer wounded
(d) a chance to slip back in unnoticed
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
2. How does Henry first feel when he realizes that the Union has won the second battle?
3. As the Union soldiers get back into position, what is happening?
4. What is it that Henry believes he is the only man who can see?
5. What does Henry realize about the tattered man?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)