Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the retreating men not see?
(a) the officers on horseback
(b) the river blocking their way
(c) the men of Henry's regiment
(d) the trees in the woods
2. How does Henry begin to imagine himself?
(a) as a leader to end all wars
(b) receiving a special commendation
(c) lying dead on a battlefield
(d) becoming a wise general
3. Why has Henry delayed so many times from enlisting in the army?
(a) because of his fear
(b) because of his age
(c) because of his dreams
(d) because of his mother
4. What makes Henry believe that at last his chance to prove himself has come?
(a) Many officers ride into camp from the front.
(b) The regiment is ordered to move.
(c) Extra firing practice is ordered.
(d) Sounds of battle get near the camp.
5. What does the lieutenant do to the boy who tries to run away?
(a) lets him go
(b) beats him
(c) shoots him
(d) kicks him
6. How is Henry shooting and reloading as the Rebels arrive?
(a) like a machine
(b) not very methodically
(d) very slowly
7. What does Henry realize about the tattered man?
(a) that he is faking his wounds
(b) that he is simply lonely
(c) that he does not suspect Henry
(d) that he, too, is about to die
8. What happens the morning after the rumor of going to war was circulated around the regiment?
(a) nothing happens
(b) a parade
(c) an officers meeting
(d) a forced march to the front
9. What is Henry's reply when the tattered man asks again about his wounds?
(a) that he was knocked unconscious and his head hurts
(b) that his wound is a broken hand that cannot fire a gun
(c) that he doesn't want to talk about it
(d) that his wound is under his shirt and the bandages stopped the bleeding
10. As the Union soldiers get back into position, what is happening?
(a) Bugles are sounding loudly.
(b) Fire breaks out behind them.
(c) The earth is shaking underneat them.
(d) Bullets are flying, shearing off blades of grass.
11. Against whom does Henry develop a particular anger?
(a) the loud soldier
(b) the generals
(c) the tall soldier
12. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
(a) cuts his hair
(b) knits him some socks
(c) bakes him some cookies
(d) brushes his uniform
13. How does the whole scene appear to Henry?
(c) common place
(d) super realistic
14. How does he think men perceive him?
(a) as a worm in an apple
(b) as a mindless monkey
(c) as a greased pig
(d) as a piece of trash
15. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
(a) make jokes
(b) hold hands
(c) shed their knapsacks
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a huge swarm of soldiers retreats with stragglers heading every which way?
2. How does Henry's pipe-smoking friend feel about long marches?
3. What does Henry realize could happen to him as he runs down the road?
4. What do the Union soldiers do as the Rebels advance?
5. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)