|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry imagine the battle sounds he hears at night?
(a) as drums in a parade
(b) as two panthers fighting
(c) a red and green dragons
(d) as thunder in the clouds
2. What makes Henry believe that at last his chance to prove himself has come?
(a) The regiment is ordered to move.
(b) Many officers ride into camp from the front.
(c) Extra firing practice is ordered.
(d) Sounds of battle get near the camp.
3. Why is Henry ordered to get Jim off the road?
(a) Snipers may shoot him.
(b) A battery is approaching.
(c) There are holes in the road.
(d) He is walking too slow.
4. How does the whole scene appear to Henry?
(a) common place
(b) super realistic
5. What does the tattered man say about wounds you cannot see?
(a) that often they are the worst ones
(b) that they don't leave a scar
(c) that they don't usually amount to much
(d) that they are usually fatal
6. How does Henry first feel when he realizes that the Union has won the second battle?
(a) afraid of what will happen to him now
(c) confused and disbelieving
(d) betrayed in a way
7. At twilight after running aimlessly in the woods, what sound does Henry hear?
(a) the sound of cattle returning to their barns
(b) the sound of singing and dnacing
(c) the sound of squirrels chattering in the trees
(d) the sound of resuming battle
8. What describes the noises Henry hears coming from the Rebels?
(a) curses and cries of pain
(b) songs and drum beats
(c) pipes and harmonicas
(d) snarls, prayers, and cheers
9. How does Henry begin to imagine himself?
(a) receiving a special commendation
(b) lying dead on a battlefield
(c) becoming a wise general
(d) as a leader to end all wars
10. What puts Henry to sleep the first night in the new camp?
(a) reflections of fire on the wall of his tent
(b) a soldier playing a harmonica
(c) exhaustion from the day's march
(d) the voices of men gathered around a fire
11. What results from the order to move?
(a) They march into Washington for a parade.
(b) They march into an ambush.
(c) They march for hours and set up another camp.
(d) They march several miles and return to camp.
12. What makes it difficult for them to make out anything in front of them?
(a) the smoke
(b) the fog
(c) the rain
(d) the darkness
13. What is the feeling among the regiment?
(a) They will have to fight on empty stomachs today.
(b) The Union soldiers will all be massacred.
(c) The Rebels will be defeated in no time.
(d) The battle will take weeks.
14. How does Henry describe his months in camp?
(b) too short
15. What does Henry first blame for his guilty condition?
(b) the man in front of him who ran
(d) the generals
Short Answer Questions
1. Who catches up to Henry after Jim Conklin dies?
2. When they stop running, what do the men begin to build?
3. What is Henry's initial reaction to the results of his first battle?
4. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
5. What unexpected action does Henry take?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)