|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry realize could happen to him as he runs down the road?
(a) If he stops for breath, he will never catch up.
(b) If he falls now he will surely be trampled to death.
(c) If he loses his concentration, he might get lost.
(d) If he takes a wrong turn he could be shot.
2. How does Henry first feel when he realizes that the Union has won the second battle?
(a) confused and disbelieving
(b) betrayed in a way
(c) afraid of what will happen to him now
3. What puts Henry to sleep the first night in the new camp?
(a) a soldier playing a harmonica
(b) reflections of fire on the wall of his tent
(c) the voices of men gathered around a fire
(d) exhaustion from the day's march
4. What are all the men doing after the battle?
(a) thanking God
(b) making small talk
(d) keeping quiet
5. How are Henry's comrades behaving in the face of imminent warfare?
(a) They refuse to think about it.
(b) They tell stoies about their bravery.
(c) They give off airs of being fearless.
(d) They keep to themselves like Henry.
6. Where does the bullet hit the lieutenant?
(a) in his leg
(b) in his hand
(c) in the chest
(d) in the head
7. Why is Henry ordered to get Jim off the road?
(a) A battery is approaching.
(b) Snipers may shoot him.
(c) There are holes in the road.
(d) He is walking too slow.
8. What does Henry realize about the tattered man?
(a) that he is faking his wounds
(b) that he does not suspect Henry
(c) that he is simply lonely
(d) that he, too, is about to die
9. What is Henry's initial reaction to the results of his first battle?
(a) He congratualtes himself on coming through it.
(b) He wishes he had run away.
(c) He is in a daze and cannot think.
(d) He wishes for a way to go home.
10. As a boy, how had Henry imagined himself ?
(a) as a politician
(b) as a gentleman farmer
(c) as a school teacher
(d) as a hero in wars
11. Why is Henry jealous of the men leaving the battlefield?
(a) He imagines they are the chosen ones.
(b) He realizes he would have been one of them.
(c) He imagines they will get medals.
(d) He sees them leaving without shame.
12. Running down the road, what is Henry trying to do?
(a) to find out what is happening
(b) to load his rifle
(c) to keep up with the other men
(d) to keep his head down
13. How has Henry always viewed himself in the world?
(a) as unimportant and useless
(b) as different from other men
(c) as one who always follows orders
(d) as less intelligent than others
14. What begins happening as runners come back out of the haze?
(a) orders to march
(b) the rumors and stories
(c) heavy rainfall
(d) canon bursts
15. What is the feeling among the regiment?
(a) The Union soldiers will all be massacred.
(b) They will have to fight on empty stomachs today.
(c) The battle will take weeks.
(d) The Rebels will be defeated in no time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
2. What does Henry's friend reply to his offer to help him walk?
3. Who catches up to Henry after Jim Conklin dies?
4. What would Henry like to find by looking into the eyes of a corpse?
5. How does Henry's question about his bravery continue?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)