Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Henry's regiment the morning he expects to be his first battle?
(a) on an open field
(b) near a small Southern village
(c) on the banks of a river
(d) among the trees at the edge of a grove
2. How has Henry always viewed himself in the world?
(a) as unimportant and useless
(b) as less intelligent than others
(c) as one who always follows orders
(d) as different from other men
3. What would Henry like to find by looking into the eyes of a corpse?
(a) if the soldier had any pain
(b) the answer to his big question
(c) if he is a yankee or a rebel
(d) if he is still alive
4. How does Henry see his current suffering?
(a) as having followed the course nature laid out for him
(b) as a burden that he sould not have to bear
(c) as being fair because he is a coward
(d) as an accident of nature
5. What does it feel like to Henry as he waits for the Rebels to charge?
(a) like what he imagines the judgment day is like
(b) like being buried alive
(c) like suffocating in a vat of oil
(d) like waiting for a parade to start when the circus comes to his village
6. How does Henry picture the advancing Rebels?
(a) as an advancing freight train
(b) as a red and green dragon
(c) as a great cloud of thunder
(d) as a swarm of bees
7. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
(a) back to the original camp
(b) back to Washington D. C.
(c) over near the banks of a river
(d) back to the same ground it had taken in the morning
8. Who does Henry meet up with as he walks with the wounded?
(a) the pipe smoking comrade
(b) the general he saw on a horse
(c) Jim, from his regiment
(d) the lieutenant with the wounded hand
9. What does one young man of the battalion do at the first volley?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He covers his head with both hands.
(c) He stands up.
(d) He runs.
10. What amazes Henry after the Rebels retreat?
(a) that he cannot stand up
(b) that the sky is still blue
(c) that his ears are still ringing
(d) that he is still alive
11. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
(a) Sweat is running into his eyes.
(b) He doesn't believe what he is seeing.
(c) He doesn't have time to use a handkerchief.
(d) Tree bark popped into his eye.
12. What does Henry realize about the tattered man?
(a) that he is simply lonely
(b) that he is faking his wounds
(c) that he, too, is about to die
(d) that he does not suspect Henry
13. What is the pipe smoking friend's reply when Henry asks if he might run away from battle?
(a) He says he isn't sure.
(b) He says he doesn't know.
(c) He says he probably will.
(d) He says it isn't possible.
14. What question is Henry's first rationalization for his having run away?
(a) Weren't there a lot of others who had run before he did?
(b) Didn't he stay close enough that no one would notice him?
(c) Wasn't saving himself the same as saving a piece of the army?
(d) Hadn't the lieutenant ordered him to drop back?
15. What rumor passing through the regiment begins the novel?
(a) that the war is over
(b) that Lincoln has been shot
(c) that Rebs have surrounded the camp
(d) that they will fight tomorrow
Short Answer Questions
1. What new fear rises in Henry as the result of the tattered man's question about his wounds?
2. What does Henry first blame for his guilty condition?
3. What does Henry's friend reply to his offer to help him walk?
4. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
5. What does Henry feel at times about the wounded men?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)