|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are Henry's comrades behaving in the face of imminent warfare?
(a) They give off airs of being fearless.
(b) They tell stoies about their bravery.
(c) They keep to themselves like Henry.
(d) They refuse to think about it.
2. What unexpected action does Henry take?
(a) He circles around to get near the Rebel army.
(b) He runs deeper into the woods.
(c) He starts running toward the battle sounds.
(d) He climbs a tree to wait for the battle to come to him.
3. What is it that Henry believes he is the only man who can see?
(a) that war is nature's way of duping men into being victims
(b) that war is a game for bored civilians to play like chess
(c) that war is nonsense invented by madmen
(d) that war is nature's way of sorting out the fittest humans
4. How does Henry know that the Union forces had won this second battle?
(a) He could see it from the tree he had climbed.
(b) He could hear their cheers from where he stood.
(c) When the gunshots stopped, the Union was not in retreat.
(d) He overheard a cavalryman talking about it.
5. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
(a) back to Washington D. C.
(b) over near the banks of a river
(c) back to the same ground it had taken in the morning
(d) back to the original camp
6. What does the tattered man say about wounds you cannot see?
(a) that they are usually fatal
(b) that they don't usually amount to much
(c) that often they are the worst ones
(d) that they don't leave a scar
7. What is Henry's initial reaction to the results of his first battle?
(a) He congratualtes himself on coming through it.
(b) He is in a daze and cannot think.
(c) He wishes he had run away.
(d) He wishes for a way to go home.
8. What new fear rises in Henry as the result of the tattered man's question about his wounds?
(a) that he will be found out
(b) that he might get wounded like him
(c) that he will be sent back to the front
(d) that the man knows he is a deserter
9. What happens to Henry physically as he marches on toward the battle?
(a) He aches from pain, thirst, and hunger.
(b) He falls and breaks an arm.
(c) He trips over a dead soldier.
(d) He becomes nauseated.
10. What makes Henry believe that at last his chance to prove himself has come?
(a) Many officers ride into camp from the front.
(b) Sounds of battle get near the camp.
(c) The regiment is ordered to move.
(d) Extra firing practice is ordered.
11. What is Henry's reply when the tattered man asks again about his wounds?
(a) that his wound is a broken hand that cannot fire a gun
(b) that he was knocked unconscious and his head hurts
(c) that his wound is under his shirt and the bandages stopped the bleeding
(d) that he doesn't want to talk about it
12. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
(a) make jokes
(b) shed their knapsacks
(d) hold hands
13. What is Henry's first impulse as he watches the battle?
(a) to return and fight
(b) to give up and go home
(c) to kill himself
(d) to wound himself
14. What is Henry's last view of the tattered man?
(a) falling on his face in the road
(b) falling under the wheels of a caisson
(c) walking aimlessly in a field
(d) headed back the wrong way
15. As a boy, how had Henry imagined himself ?
(a) as a politician
(b) as a hero in wars
(c) as a gentleman farmer
(d) as a school teacher
Short Answer Questions
1. What is distant and surreal in Henry's mind?
2. As a victim of nature, what does Henry feel he is being denied?
3. What question begins to disturb Henry before he goes to battle?
4. What does it feel like to Henry as he waits for the Rebels to charge?
5. What are all the men doing after the battle?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)