|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At twilight after running aimlessly in the woods, what sound does Henry hear?
(a) the sound of resuming battle
(b) the sound of cattle returning to their barns
(c) the sound of squirrels chattering in the trees
(d) the sound of singing and dnacing
2. Why is Henry ordered to get Jim off the road?
(a) He is walking too slow.
(b) Snipers may shoot him.
(c) There are holes in the road.
(d) A battery is approaching.
3. Climbing over a fence, what does Henry discover?
(a) a cow he can milk to get something to fill his stomach
(b) the ground littered with the bodies of the dead and wounded
(c) a small group of other deserters
(d) a field of tall corn he can hide in
4. What does it feel like to Henry as he waits for the Rebels to charge?
(a) like being buried alive
(b) like suffocating in a vat of oil
(c) like what he imagines the judgment day is like
(d) like waiting for a parade to start when the circus comes to his village
5. Why is Henry jealous of the men leaving the battlefield?
(a) He sees them leaving without shame.
(b) He imagines they will get medals.
(c) He realizes he would have been one of them.
(d) He imagines they are the chosen ones.
6. What is Henry's last view of the tattered man?
(a) headed back the wrong way
(b) walking aimlessly in a field
(c) falling on his face in the road
(d) falling under the wheels of a caisson
7. How is the regiment treated on the way to Washington?
(a) railed by angry citizens
(b) feasted at each stop
(c) ignored by everyone
(d) kept out of the towns
8. What happens the morning after the rumor of going to war was circulated around the regiment?
(a) a forced march to the front
(b) a parade
(c) an officers meeting
(d) nothing happens
9. What makes Henry believe that at last his chance to prove himself has come?
(a) Sounds of battle get near the camp.
(b) Extra firing practice is ordered.
(c) The regiment is ordered to move.
(d) Many officers ride into camp from the front.
10. Who impresses Henry when he stops by the school to say good-bye?
(a) the boys on the playground
(b) a dark haired girl
(c) the mayor of the town
(d) the school master
11. How does Henry begin to imagine himself?
(a) becoming a wise general
(b) as a leader to end all wars
(c) receiving a special commendation
(d) lying dead on a battlefield
12. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
(a) back to the same ground it had taken in the morning
(b) back to the original camp
(c) over near the banks of a river
(d) back to Washington D. C.
13. Where does the bullet hit the lieutenant?
(a) in the chest
(b) in his leg
(c) in his hand
(d) in the head
14. At what is Henry's anger directed during the battle?
(a) the lieutenants
(b) the heat
(c) the noise
(d) the smoke
15. What does one young man of the battalion do at the first volley?
(a) He covers his head with both hands.
(b) He runs.
(c) He vomits.
(d) He stands up.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry's pipe-smoking friend feel about long marches?
2. Who catches up to Henry after Jim Conklin dies?
3. How does Henry picture the advancing Rebels?
4. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
5. Why has Henry delayed so many times from enlisting in the army?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)