|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At twilight after running aimlessly in the woods, what sound does Henry hear?
(a) the sound of resuming battle
(b) the sound of squirrels chattering in the trees
(c) the sound of singing and dnacing
(d) the sound of cattle returning to their barns
2. What are the running and retreating soldiers seeking?
(a) escape from the madness
(b) places to take cover
(c) replacement soldiers
(d) comfort in numbers
3. What does one young man of the battalion do at the first volley?
(a) He covers his head with both hands.
(b) He vomits.
(c) He stands up.
(d) He runs.
4. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
(a) hold hands
(b) shed their knapsacks
(d) make jokes
5. Why is Henry ordered to get Jim off the road?
(a) Snipers may shoot him.
(b) He is walking too slow.
(c) There are holes in the road.
(d) A battery is approaching.
6. What causes Henry's moment of panic?
(a) He remembers thinking about running.
(b) He remembers he forgot to pray that morning.
(c) He is momentarily blinded by the smoke.
(d) He doesn't remember loading his rifle.
7. Who impresses Henry when he stops by the school to say good-bye?
(a) a dark haired girl
(b) the mayor of the town
(c) the school master
(d) the boys on the playground
8. How does Henry regard himself in comparison to the ones who stayed to fight?
(a) as physically weaker than the ones who stayed
(b) as being more of a hero than they
(c) as having superior intellect
(d) as being more stupid than his comrades
9. As the noise of the battle grows louder, what does Henry see that confuses him?
(a) the Rebels being pushed back
(b) fewer wounded
(c) a chance to slip back in unnoticed
(d) men leaving the battlefield
10. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
(a) over near the banks of a river
(b) back to Washington D. C.
(c) back to the original camp
(d) back to the same ground it had taken in the morning
11. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
(a) more alone than ever
(b) proud that he has such a friend
(c) sure now that he will run away from battle
(d) sure that he will not run away
12. Against whom does Henry develop a particular anger?
(a) the loud soldier
(b) the tall soldier
(d) the generals
13. As the Union soldiers get back into position, what is happening?
(a) Fire breaks out behind them.
(b) Bugles are sounding loudly.
(c) Bullets are flying, shearing off blades of grass.
(d) The earth is shaking underneat them.
14. Why is Henry jealous of the men leaving the battlefield?
(a) He realizes he would have been one of them.
(b) He sees them leaving without shame.
(c) He imagines they will get medals.
(d) He imagines they are the chosen ones.
15. What is the pipe smoking friend's reply when Henry asks if he might run away from battle?
(a) He says it isn't possible.
(b) He says he probably will.
(c) He says he doesn't know.
(d) He says he isn't sure.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry know that the Union forces had won this second battle?
2. Who does Henry meet up with as he walks with the wounded?
3. What unexpected action does Henry take?
4. When Henry meets up with a wounded man, what does the man want to know?
5. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)