|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Henry begin to think it would be better to be killed?
(a) to get some rest
(b) to teach a lesson to the lieutenant
(c) to escape his duty
(d) to have his troubles ended
2. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
(a) praying and quivering
(b) waving good-bye
(c) hitching up the plow horse
(d) washing clothes
3. What is the pipe smoking friend's reply when Henry asks if he might run away from battle?
(a) He says he doesn't know.
(b) He says it isn't possible.
(c) He says he probably will.
(d) He says he isn't sure.
4. What does Henry feel at times about the wounded men?
5. How does Henry begin to feel about the battle he had been in?
(a) that it was far more dnagerous than what he ran from
(b) that it had all been a dream
(c) that he had not understood the danger
(d) that it was only a minor incident
6. How does the pipe-smoking friend try to encourage Henry?
(a) by saying they will be side by side
(b) by getting his mind off battle
(c) by telling him jokes
(d) by predicting he will do great things
7. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
(a) back to the original camp
(b) back to the same ground it had taken in the morning
(c) over near the banks of a river
(d) back to Washington D. C.
8. How does Henry imagine the battle sounds he hears at night?
(a) as thunder in the clouds
(b) a red and green dragons
(c) as drums in a parade
(d) as two panthers fighting
9. Who does Henry meet up with as he walks with the wounded?
(a) the general he saw on a horse
(b) Jim, from his regiment
(c) the pipe smoking comrade
(d) the lieutenant with the wounded hand
10. How does Henry's pipe-smoking friend feel about long marches?
(a) all right if there is a battle at the end of it
(b) all right because it is better than doing nothing
(c) all right if it only means a new camp
(d) all right because it keeps them in shape
11. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
(a) brushes his uniform
(b) cuts his hair
(c) bakes him some cookies
(d) knits him some socks
12. What happens the morning after the rumor of going to war was circulated around the regiment?
(a) a parade
(b) an officers meeting
(c) nothing happens
(d) a forced march to the front
13. Who catches up to Henry after Jim Conklin dies?
(a) the field doctor
(b) the lieutenant
(c) the general
(d) the tattered man
14. Why has Henry delayed so many times from enlisting in the army?
(a) because of his mother
(b) because of his fear
(c) because of his dreams
(d) because of his age
15. What is Henry's reply when the tattered man asks again about his wounds?
(a) that he doesn't want to talk about it
(b) that his wound is a broken hand that cannot fire a gun
(c) that his wound is under his shirt and the bandages stopped the bleeding
(d) that he was knocked unconscious and his head hurts
Short Answer Questions
1. As a boy, how had Henry imagined himself ?
2. Who impresses Henry when he stops by the school to say good-bye?
3. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
4. How has Henry always viewed himself in the world?
5. Where is Henry's regiment the morning he expects to be his first battle?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)