|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
(a) over near the banks of a river
(b) back to the same ground it had taken in the morning
(c) back to Washington D. C.
(d) back to the original camp
2. What is distant and surreal in Henry's mind?
(a) that officers hold his life in their hands
(b) that the war happens in his own country
(c) that things go on as usual back at home
(d) that political differences can start a war
3. Climbing over a fence, what does Henry discover?
(a) a field of tall corn he can hide in
(b) the ground littered with the bodies of the dead and wounded
(c) a cow he can milk to get something to fill his stomach
(d) a small group of other deserters
4. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
(a) brushes his uniform
(b) bakes him some cookies
(c) knits him some socks
(d) cuts his hair
5. How has Henry always viewed himself in the world?
(a) as one who always follows orders
(b) as less intelligent than others
(c) as different from other men
(d) as unimportant and useless
6. As a boy, how had Henry imagined himself ?
(a) as a school teacher
(b) as a hero in wars
(c) as a gentleman farmer
(d) as a politician
7. What is Henry's last view of the tattered man?
(a) falling under the wheels of a caisson
(b) walking aimlessly in a field
(c) headed back the wrong way
(d) falling on his face in the road
8. How does Henry picture the advancing Rebels?
(a) as a swarm of bees
(b) as an advancing freight train
(c) as a great cloud of thunder
(d) as a red and green dragon
9. As the noise of the battle grows louder, what does Henry see that confuses him?
(a) fewer wounded
(b) the Rebels being pushed back
(c) a chance to slip back in unnoticed
(d) men leaving the battlefield
10. What warning does Henry's mother give her son?
(a) to stay behind the lines
(b) to wash behind his ears
(c) to be careful what he eats
(d) to watch the company he keeps
11. What does the tattered man say about wounds you cannot see?
(a) that they are usually fatal
(b) that they don't usually amount to much
(c) that often they are the worst ones
(d) that they don't leave a scar
12. Where does Henry go to collect his thoughts?
(a) away from camp to lie in the grass
(b) down by a stream
(c) into his tent
(d) to the camp chaplain
13. What sudden event takes place after the first retreat of the Rebels?
(a) They are ordered to march.
(b) They return.
(c) The generals send new orders.
(d) A storm arises.
14. Where is Henry's regiment the morning he expects to be his first battle?
(a) near a small Southern village
(b) on the banks of a river
(c) on an open field
(d) among the trees at the edge of a grove
15. How does Henry begin to imagine himself?
(a) becoming a wise general
(b) lying dead on a battlefield
(c) as a leader to end all wars
(d) receiving a special commendation
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry see his current suffering?
2. As the Union soldiers get back into position, what is happening?
3. What begins happening as runners come back out of the haze?
4. What makes it difficult for them to make out anything in front of them?
5. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)