|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the bullet hit the lieutenant?
(a) in his leg
(b) in the head
(c) in the chest
(d) in his hand
2. As a victim of nature, what does Henry feel he is being denied?
3. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
(a) Sweat is running into his eyes.
(b) Tree bark popped into his eye.
(c) He doesn't have time to use a handkerchief.
(d) He doesn't believe what he is seeing.
4. What does it feel like to Henry as he waits for the Rebels to charge?
(a) like waiting for a parade to start when the circus comes to his village
(b) like what he imagines the judgment day is like
(c) like being buried alive
(d) like suffocating in a vat of oil
5. What are all the men doing after the battle?
(a) making small talk
(c) thanking God
(d) keeping quiet
6. What is Henry's initial reaction to the results of his first battle?
(a) He congratualtes himself on coming through it.
(b) He wishes for a way to go home.
(c) He wishes he had run away.
(d) He is in a daze and cannot think.
7. Instinctively, what does Henry feel about the future?
(a) He is hopelessly lost.
(b) He will work his way out of his predicament.
(c) His mother will not welcome him home.
(d) He will have to live in exile.
8. What makes Henry believe that at last his chance to prove himself has come?
(a) Extra firing practice is ordered.
(b) The regiment is ordered to move.
(c) Sounds of battle get near the camp.
(d) Many officers ride into camp from the front.
9. When Henry meets up with a wounded man, what does the man want to know?
(a) where he was wounded
(b) where he can find some water
(c) what time it is
(d) where he left his rifle
10. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
(a) sure that he will not run away
(b) proud that he has such a friend
(c) more alone than ever
(d) sure now that he will run away from battle
11. How does the pipe-smoking friend try to encourage Henry?
(a) by predicting he will do great things
(b) by getting his mind off battle
(c) by telling him jokes
(d) by saying they will be side by side
12. What is distant and surreal in Henry's mind?
(a) that things go on as usual back at home
(b) that officers hold his life in their hands
(c) that political differences can start a war
(d) that the war happens in his own country
13. As the Union soldiers get back into position, what is happening?
(a) The earth is shaking underneat them.
(b) Bullets are flying, shearing off blades of grass.
(c) Fire breaks out behind them.
(d) Bugles are sounding loudly.
14. How does Henry picture the advancing Rebels?
(a) as a great cloud of thunder
(b) as a swarm of bees
(c) as an advancing freight train
(d) as a red and green dragon
15. Where is Henry's regiment the morning he expects to be his first battle?
(a) among the trees at the edge of a grove
(b) on the banks of a river
(c) on an open field
(d) near a small Southern village
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins happening as runners come back out of the haze?
2. How has Henry always viewed himself in the world?
3. What new fear rises in Henry as the result of the tattered man's question about his wounds?
4. What do the retreating men not see?
5. What does Henry think the lieutenant is lacking?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)