|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Henry's initial reaction to the results of his first battle?
(a) He congratualtes himself on coming through it.
(b) He is in a daze and cannot think.
(c) He wishes he had run away.
(d) He wishes for a way to go home.
2. When Henry meets up with a wounded man, what does the man want to know?
(a) where he left his rifle
(b) what time it is
(c) where he was wounded
(d) where he can find some water
3. What unexpected action does Henry take?
(a) He starts running toward the battle sounds.
(b) He runs deeper into the woods.
(c) He climbs a tree to wait for the battle to come to him.
(d) He circles around to get near the Rebel army.
4. What destroys Henry's rationalization about nature prompting him to run?
(a) a rainstorm that comes up suddenly
(b) some wounded soldiers rejoicing over the victory
(c) the sight of the dead man with the ants crawling over his skin
(d) a squirrel being eaten by a stray cat
5. Instinctively, what does Henry feel about the future?
(a) He will work his way out of his predicament.
(b) He will have to live in exile.
(c) He is hopelessly lost.
(d) His mother will not welcome him home.
6. How does Henry imagine the battle sounds he hears at night?
(a) as two panthers fighting
(b) as thunder in the clouds
(c) as drums in a parade
(d) a red and green dragons
7. How does he think men perceive him?
(a) as a piece of trash
(b) as a greased pig
(c) as a mindless monkey
(d) as a worm in an apple
8. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
(a) He doesn't believe what he is seeing.
(b) He doesn't have time to use a handkerchief.
(c) Sweat is running into his eyes.
(d) Tree bark popped into his eye.
9. How does the pipe-smoking friend try to encourage Henry?
(a) by getting his mind off battle
(b) by saying they will be side by side
(c) by telling him jokes
(d) by predicting he will do great things
10. What does Henry first blame for his guilty condition?
(a) the man in front of him who ran
(c) the generals
11. How is the regiment treated on the way to Washington?
(a) ignored by everyone
(b) feasted at each stop
(c) kept out of the towns
(d) railed by angry citizens
12. What immobilizes Henry to prevent him for seeking out his regiment?
(a) He cannot come up with a good story about where he has been.
(b) He cannot imagine how to find his regiment in all the confusion.
(c) He no longer has a rifle and cannot go into battle to fight with his hands.
(d) He cannot make up his mind that he really wants to return.
13. What do the retreating men not see?
(a) the officers on horseback
(b) the men of Henry's regiment
(c) the river blocking their way
(d) the trees in the woods
14. How does Henry picture the advancing Rebels?
(a) as a red and green dragon
(b) as a swarm of bees
(c) as an advancing freight train
(d) as a great cloud of thunder
15. How does the whole scene appear to Henry?
(a) common place
(b) super realistic
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the morning after the rumor of going to war was circulated around the regiment?
2. Where does Henry go to collect his thoughts?
3. How is Henry shooting and reloading as the Rebels arrive?
4. What is the feeling among the regiment?
5. What happens to Henry physically as he marches on toward the battle?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)