|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What destroys Henry's rationalization about nature prompting him to run?
(a) a rainstorm that comes up suddenly
(b) a squirrel being eaten by a stray cat
(c) the sight of the dead man with the ants crawling over his skin
(d) some wounded soldiers rejoicing over the victory
2. What does Henry realize about the tattered man?
(a) that he, too, is about to die
(b) that he is simply lonely
(c) that he does not suspect Henry
(d) that he is faking his wounds
3. What does Henry think the lieutenant is lacking?
(a) a plan of attack
(b) his horse
(c) a loaded rifle
(d) any appreciation for fine minds
4. What does the lieutenant do to the boy who tries to run away?
(a) shoots him
(b) lets him go
(c) beats him
(d) kicks him
5. What unexpected action does Henry take?
(a) He runs deeper into the woods.
(b) He climbs a tree to wait for the battle to come to him.
(c) He circles around to get near the Rebel army.
(d) He starts running toward the battle sounds.
6. What causes Henry's moment of panic?
(a) He remembers thinking about running.
(b) He doesn't remember loading his rifle.
(c) He is momentarily blinded by the smoke.
(d) He remembers he forgot to pray that morning.
7. What makes Henry believe that at last his chance to prove himself has come?
(a) Many officers ride into camp from the front.
(b) Sounds of battle get near the camp.
(c) The regiment is ordered to move.
(d) Extra firing practice is ordered.
8. As a victim of nature, what does Henry feel he is being denied?
9. What question is Henry's first rationalization for his having run away?
(a) Hadn't the lieutenant ordered him to drop back?
(b) Weren't there a lot of others who had run before he did?
(c) Didn't he stay close enough that no one would notice him?
(d) Wasn't saving himself the same as saving a piece of the army?
10. How does Henry know that the Union forces had won this second battle?
(a) He overheard a cavalryman talking about it.
(b) When the gunshots stopped, the Union was not in retreat.
(c) He could hear their cheers from where he stood.
(d) He could see it from the tree he had climbed.
11. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
(a) shed their knapsacks
(b) hold hands
(d) make jokes
12. As a boy, how had Henry imagined himself ?
(a) as a gentleman farmer
(b) as a hero in wars
(c) as a school teacher
(d) as a politician
13. What results from the order to move?
(a) They march for hours and set up another camp.
(b) They march into Washington for a parade.
(c) They march several miles and return to camp.
(d) They march into an ambush.
14. How does the pipe-smoking friend try to encourage Henry?
(a) by getting his mind off battle
(b) by telling him jokes
(c) by saying they will be side by side
(d) by predicting he will do great things
15. What amazes Henry after the Rebels retreat?
(a) that the sky is still blue
(b) that his ears are still ringing
(c) that he cannot stand up
(d) that he is still alive
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Henry like to find by looking into the eyes of a corpse?
2. What describes the noises Henry hears coming from the Rebels?
3. How is the regiment treated on the way to Washington?
4. What do the Union soldiers do as the Rebels advance?
5. What does Henry's friend reply to his offer to help him walk?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)