|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry describe Jim's wounds?
(a) like a butchered calf
(b) like his side was eaten by wolves
(c) like the hole in a doughnut
(d) like a split open watermelon
2. How is the regiment treated on the way to Washington?
(a) kept out of the towns
(b) railed by angry citizens
(c) ignored by everyone
(d) feasted at each stop
3. Running down the road, what is Henry trying to do?
(a) to keep his head down
(b) to keep up with the other men
(c) to load his rifle
(d) to find out what is happening
4. What brings Henry out of his stupor?
(a) Someone cries out that the enemy is coming.
(b) He hears the Rebel war cry.
(c) The lieutenant kicks him.
(d) A bullet whizzes by his head.
5. What results from the order to move?
(a) They march for hours and set up another camp.
(b) They march into Washington for a parade.
(c) They march several miles and return to camp.
(d) They march into an ambush.
6. How does Henry see his current suffering?
(a) as a burden that he sould not have to bear
(b) as an accident of nature
(c) as being fair because he is a coward
(d) as having followed the course nature laid out for him
7. What follows the men returning from the battlefield?
(a) catcalls and bullets whizzing by their heads
(b) stray dogs afraid of the noise
(c) horses that have lost their riders
(d) military ambulance wagons
8. Why does Henry begin to think it would be better to be killed?
(a) to escape his duty
(b) to get some rest
(c) to teach a lesson to the lieutenant
(d) to have his troubles ended
9. Where does the bullet hit the lieutenant?
(a) in the head
(b) in the chest
(c) in his leg
(d) in his hand
10. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
(a) waving good-bye
(b) hitching up the plow horse
(c) washing clothes
(d) praying and quivering
11. Why has Henry delayed so many times from enlisting in the army?
(a) because of his age
(b) because of his fear
(c) because of his mother
(d) because of his dreams
12. When they stop running, what do the men begin to build?
(a) little hills out of anything they can find
(b) small fires to keep warm
(c) walls around their new camp
(d) log cabins for the officers
13. How are Henry's comrades behaving in the face of imminent warfare?
(a) They refuse to think about it.
(b) They give off airs of being fearless.
(c) They tell stoies about their bravery.
(d) They keep to themselves like Henry.
14. How has Henry always viewed himself in the world?
(a) as one who always follows orders
(b) as less intelligent than others
(c) as different from other men
(d) as unimportant and useless
15. What amazes Henry after the Rebels retreat?
(a) that he cannot stand up
(b) that the sky is still blue
(c) that his ears are still ringing
(d) that he is still alive
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry imagine the battle sounds he hears at night?
2. How does the whole scene appear to Henry?
3. Who impresses Henry when he stops by the school to say good-bye?
4. What does one of Henry's tent mates ask him to do?
5. What does Henry wonder about seeing?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)