|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
(a) waving good-bye
(b) washing clothes
(c) praying and quivering
(d) hitching up the plow horse
2. How does Henry's pipe-smoking friend feel about long marches?
(a) all right if it only means a new camp
(b) all right because it is better than doing nothing
(c) all right if there is a battle at the end of it
(d) all right because it keeps them in shape
3. At what is Henry's anger directed during the battle?
(a) the smoke
(b) the heat
(c) the noise
(d) the lieutenants
4. Climbing over a fence, what does Henry discover?
(a) a small group of other deserters
(b) a cow he can milk to get something to fill his stomach
(c) the ground littered with the bodies of the dead and wounded
(d) a field of tall corn he can hide in
5. Why has Henry delayed so many times from enlisting in the army?
(a) because of his mother
(b) because of his dreams
(c) because of his age
(d) because of his fear
6. What happens to Henry physically as he marches on toward the battle?
(a) He trips over a dead soldier.
(b) He becomes nauseated.
(c) He falls and breaks an arm.
(d) He aches from pain, thirst, and hunger.
7. What puts Henry to sleep the first night in the new camp?
(a) a soldier playing a harmonica
(b) reflections of fire on the wall of his tent
(c) the voices of men gathered around a fire
(d) exhaustion from the day's march
8. What does one of Henry's tent mates ask him to do?
(a) to get him to a medic
(b) to say a prayer for him
(c) to cover him while he rushes the line
(d) to take a few things to his folks
9. What is Henry's last view of the tattered man?
(a) walking aimlessly in a field
(b) falling on his face in the road
(c) headed back the wrong way
(d) falling under the wheels of a caisson
10. What makes it difficult for them to make out anything in front of them?
(a) the darkness
(b) the fog
(c) the rain
(d) the smoke
11. How is the horror personified among Henry's regiment?
(a) Comrades falling dead in front of them
(b) Blood dripping from the returning soldiers
(c) Panic among the officers
(d) Officers cursing the twist of fate
12. How does Henry regard himself in comparison to the ones who stayed to fight?
(a) as being more stupid than his comrades
(b) as having superior intellect
(c) as physically weaker than the ones who stayed
(d) as being more of a hero than they
13. How has Henry always viewed himself in the world?
(a) as less intelligent than others
(b) as one who always follows orders
(c) as unimportant and useless
(d) as different from other men
14. Why does Henry wipe his eyes with his coat sleeve?
(a) He doesn't believe what he is seeing.
(b) Tree bark popped into his eye.
(c) Sweat is running into his eyes.
(d) He doesn't have time to use a handkerchief.
15. What do the Union soldiers do as the Rebels advance?
(a) run for cover
(b) ready their cartridges
(c) hold their breath
(d) say prayers
Short Answer Questions
1. As the noise of the battle grows louder, what does Henry see that confuses him?
2. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
3. What does it feel like to Henry as he waits for the Rebels to charge?
4. How are Henry's comrades behaving in the face of imminent warfare?
5. How does the pipe-smoking friend try to encourage Henry?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)