|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a boy, how had Henry imagined himself ?
(a) as a gentleman farmer
(b) as a hero in wars
(c) as a school teacher
(d) as a politician
2. Why does Henry begin to think it would be better to be killed?
(a) to get some rest
(b) to escape his duty
(c) to teach a lesson to the lieutenant
(d) to have his troubles ended
3. What causes Henry's moment of panic?
(a) He doesn't remember loading his rifle.
(b) He remembers thinking about running.
(c) He remembers he forgot to pray that morning.
(d) He is momentarily blinded by the smoke.
4. What puts Henry to sleep the first night in the new camp?
(a) a soldier playing a harmonica
(b) reflections of fire on the wall of his tent
(c) the voices of men gathered around a fire
(d) exhaustion from the day's march
5. How does Henry first feel when he realizes that the Union has won the second battle?
(a) betrayed in a way
(c) confused and disbelieving
(d) afraid of what will happen to him now
6. What does it feel like to Henry as he waits for the Rebels to charge?
(a) like what he imagines the judgment day is like
(b) like suffocating in a vat of oil
(c) like being buried alive
(d) like waiting for a parade to start when the circus comes to his village
7. What does Henry think the lieutenant is lacking?
(a) a plan of attack
(b) any appreciation for fine minds
(c) a loaded rifle
(d) his horse
8. At what is Henry's anger directed during the battle?
(a) the smoke
(b) the lieutenants
(c) the noise
(d) the heat
9. How does the whole scene appear to Henry?
(b) super realistic
(d) common place
10. What does Henry wonder about seeing?
(a) the bullet that will pierce his body
(b) the angel of death
(c) the monster from which all these men were fleeing
(d) the next sunrise
11. What does Henry realize could happen to him as he runs down the road?
(a) If he loses his concentration, he might get lost.
(b) If he stops for breath, he will never catch up.
(c) If he takes a wrong turn he could be shot.
(d) If he falls now he will surely be trampled to death.
12. What do the Union soldiers do as the Rebels advance?
(a) run for cover
(b) say prayers
(c) ready their cartridges
(d) hold their breath
13. What does the lieutenant do to the boy who tries to run away?
(a) shoots him
(b) beats him
(c) kicks him
(d) lets him go
14. Against whom does Henry develop a particular anger?
(b) the tall soldier
(c) the generals
(d) the loud soldier
15. Who impresses Henry when he stops by the school to say good-bye?
(a) a dark haired girl
(b) the mayor of the town
(c) the boys on the playground
(d) the school master
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Henry begin to imagine himself?
2. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
3. What makes it difficult for them to make out anything in front of them?
4. What do the retreating men not see?
5. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)