|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Climbing over a fence, what does Henry discover?
(a) a small group of other deserters
(b) a field of tall corn he can hide in
(c) the ground littered with the bodies of the dead and wounded
(d) a cow he can milk to get something to fill his stomach
2. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
(a) washing clothes
(b) waving good-bye
(c) praying and quivering
(d) hitching up the plow horse
3. Why is Henry jealous of the men leaving the battlefield?
(a) He realizes he would have been one of them.
(b) He sees them leaving without shame.
(c) He imagines they are the chosen ones.
(d) He imagines they will get medals.
4. Who impresses Henry when he stops by the school to say good-bye?
(a) a dark haired girl
(b) the boys on the playground
(c) the school master
(d) the mayor of the town
5. As a boy, how had Henry imagined himself ?
(a) as a school teacher
(b) as a politician
(c) as a gentleman farmer
(d) as a hero in wars
6. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
(a) hold hands
(b) shed their knapsacks
(c) make jokes
7. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
(a) back to the original camp
(b) over near the banks of a river
(c) back to the same ground it had taken in the morning
(d) back to Washington D. C.
8. What is Henry's last view of the tattered man?
(a) falling under the wheels of a caisson
(b) walking aimlessly in a field
(c) falling on his face in the road
(d) headed back the wrong way
9. How does Henry see his current suffering?
(a) as a burden that he sould not have to bear
(b) as having followed the course nature laid out for him
(c) as being fair because he is a coward
(d) as an accident of nature
10. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
(a) more alone than ever
(b) sure now that he will run away from battle
(c) sure that he will not run away
(d) proud that he has such a friend
11. What does Henry's mother do for him before he leaves?
(a) knits him some socks
(b) bakes him some cookies
(c) cuts his hair
(d) brushes his uniform
12. How are the troops feeling as they are still on the move?
(a) They have high hopes of reaching the front.
(b) They can march like this for hours without resting.
(c) The heat and fatigue are overwhelming,
(d) They are happy and singing.
13. What puts Henry to sleep the first night in the new camp?
(a) exhaustion from the day's march
(b) a soldier playing a harmonica
(c) the voices of men gathered around a fire
(d) reflections of fire on the wall of his tent
14. Where does the bullet hit the lieutenant?
(a) in the head
(b) in his hand
(c) in his leg
(d) in the chest
15. What happens when a huge swarm of soldiers retreats with stragglers heading every which way?
(a) the sun sets
(b) the fog lifts
(c) their tones change
(d) they move to replace them
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Henry believe that at last his chance to prove himself has come?
2. How does Henry describe his months in camp?
3. What follows the men returning from the battlefield?
4. What does it feel like to Henry as he waits for the Rebels to charge?
5. What makes it difficult for them to make out anything in front of them?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)