|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What results from the order to move?
(a) They march for hours and set up another camp.
(b) They march several miles and return to camp.
(c) They march into Washington for a parade.
(d) They march into an ambush.
2. What happens to Henry physically as he marches on toward the battle?
(a) He trips over a dead soldier.
(b) He becomes nauseated.
(c) He aches from pain, thirst, and hunger.
(d) He falls and breaks an arm.
3. How does Henry's pipe-smoking friend feel about long marches?
(a) all right if it only means a new camp
(b) all right because it keeps them in shape
(c) all right if there is a battle at the end of it
(d) all right because it is better than doing nothing
4. What happens the morning after the rumor of going to war was circulated around the regiment?
(a) an officers meeting
(b) a forced march to the front
(c) a parade
(d) nothing happens
5. What would Henry like to find by looking into the eyes of a corpse?
(a) if the soldier had any pain
(b) if he is still alive
(c) if he is a yankee or a rebel
(d) the answer to his big question
6. How is the horror personified among Henry's regiment?
(a) Panic among the officers
(b) Blood dripping from the returning soldiers
(c) Officers cursing the twist of fate
(d) Comrades falling dead in front of them
7. What does one young man of the battalion do at the first volley?
(a) He vomits.
(b) He covers his head with both hands.
(c) He runs.
(d) He stands up.
8. How does Henry picture the advancing Rebels?
(a) as a great cloud of thunder
(b) as an advancing freight train
(c) as a swarm of bees
(d) as a red and green dragon
9. What happens when Henry sees a man in front of him drop his rifle and run away?
(a) He shoots the man in the back.
(b) He panics and runs too.
(c) He yells for the lieutenant.
(d) He takes a bullet in the arm.
10. Instinctively, what does Henry feel about the future?
(a) He will work his way out of his predicament.
(b) His mother will not welcome him home.
(c) He is hopelessly lost.
(d) He will have to live in exile.
11. After the pipe smoking friend leaves Henry, how does he feel?
(a) proud that he has such a friend
(b) sure now that he will run away from battle
(c) more alone than ever
(d) sure that he will not run away
12. How does Henry begin to imagine himself?
(a) as a leader to end all wars
(b) lying dead on a battlefield
(c) becoming a wise general
(d) receiving a special commendation
13. Why is Henry ordered to get Jim off the road?
(a) Snipers may shoot him.
(b) A battery is approaching.
(c) There are holes in the road.
(d) He is walking too slow.
14. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
(a) back to the same ground it had taken in the morning
(b) back to Washington D. C.
(c) back to the original camp
(d) over near the banks of a river
15. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
(a) praying and quivering
(b) washing clothes
(c) waving good-bye
(d) hitching up the plow horse
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the regiment treated on the way to Washington?
2. What does Henry think the lieutenant is lacking?
3. What does Henry see that is his first encounter with the reality of war?
4. What does Henry feel at times about the wounded men?
5. How is Henry shooting and reloading as the Rebels arrive?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)