|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What describes the noises Henry hears coming from the Rebels?
(a) curses and cries of pain
(b) snarls, prayers, and cheers
(c) songs and drum beats
(d) pipes and harmonicas
2. What puts Henry to sleep the first night in the new camp?
(a) reflections of fire on the wall of his tent
(b) a soldier playing a harmonica
(c) the voices of men gathered around a fire
(d) exhaustion from the day's march
3. What is distant and surreal in Henry's mind?
(a) that officers hold his life in their hands
(b) that the war happens in his own country
(c) that political differences can start a war
(d) that things go on as usual back at home
4. What happens when Henry sees a man in front of him drop his rifle and run away?
(a) He panics and runs too.
(b) He shoots the man in the back.
(c) He takes a bullet in the arm.
(d) He yells for the lieutenant.
5. What happens the morning after the rumor of going to war was circulated around the regiment?
(a) nothing happens
(b) a parade
(c) an officers meeting
(d) a forced march to the front
6. How is the horror personified among Henry's regiment?
(a) Panic among the officers
(b) Officers cursing the twist of fate
(c) Blood dripping from the returning soldiers
(d) Comrades falling dead in front of them
7. What causes Henry's moment of panic?
(a) He is momentarily blinded by the smoke.
(b) He remembers thinking about running.
(c) He doesn't remember loading his rifle.
(d) He remembers he forgot to pray that morning.
8. What do some of the soldiers do to make marching easier?
(a) hold hands
(b) make jokes
(c) shed their knapsacks
9. What is it that Henry believes he is the only man who can see?
(a) that war is nature's way of duping men into being victims
(b) that war is nature's way of sorting out the fittest humans
(c) that war is nonsense invented by madmen
(d) that war is a game for bored civilians to play like chess
10. How does Henry's pipe-smoking friend feel about long marches?
(a) all right because it keeps them in shape
(b) all right if there is a battle at the end of it
(c) all right if it only means a new camp
(d) all right because it is better than doing nothing
11. What would Henry like to find by looking into the eyes of a corpse?
(a) if the soldier had any pain
(b) if he is a yankee or a rebel
(c) the answer to his big question
(d) if he is still alive
12. After walking around all morning, where does the regiment go?
(a) back to the original camp
(b) over near the banks of a river
(c) back to Washington D. C.
(d) back to the same ground it had taken in the morning
13. What makes Henry believe that at last his chance to prove himself has come?
(a) Sounds of battle get near the camp.
(b) Many officers ride into camp from the front.
(c) The regiment is ordered to move.
(d) Extra firing practice is ordered.
14. What brings Henry out of his stupor?
(a) He hears the Rebel war cry.
(b) A bullet whizzes by his head.
(c) Someone cries out that the enemy is coming.
(d) The lieutenant kicks him.
15. What does Henry think the lieutenant is lacking?
(a) a loaded rifle
(b) a plan of attack
(c) any appreciation for fine minds
(d) his horse
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry see his mother doing as he turns to look back?
2. What does one young man of the battalion do at the first volley?
3. What does Henry's friend reply to his offer to help him walk?
4. What destroys Henry's rationalization about nature prompting him to run?
5. How does Henry first feel when he realizes that the Union has won the second battle?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)