|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter XXIV.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Henry's mother think he could be put to better use than in the army?
(a) as a postman
(b) in the navy
(c) in a schoolroom
(d) on the farm
2. What sudden event takes place after the first retreat of the Rebels?
(a) The generals send new orders.
(b) They return.
(c) They are ordered to march.
(d) A storm arises.
3. How do the men react to the approach of the Rebel forces?
(a) looking around for ways of escape
(b) mostly standing still as though tied to stakes
(c) quaking in their boots
(d) darting around to be more difficult targets
4. What is it that Henry believes he is the only man who can see?
(a) that war is a game for bored civilians to play like chess
(b) that war is nonsense invented by madmen
(c) that war is nature's way of sorting out the fittest humans
(d) that war is nature's way of duping men into being victims
5. As Henry is observing the battle, what happens suddenly to frighten him?
(a) A lieutenant rides up near where he is hiding.
(b) A bomb blast fall near him.
(c) Dark waves of men sweep out of the woods coming toward him.
(d) Runaway horses begin to stampede.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry first blame for his guilty condition?
2. How does Henry's question about his bravery continue?
3. What is Henry's first impression as he wakes the next morning after returning to his regiment?
4. What causes Henry's moment of panic?
5. How does Henry feel about the enemy?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)